PDA

View Full Version : Life I have a very sick pet.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2008, 09:16 PM
If you could spare a few warm thoughts and good vibes our way, it'd mean a lot.

The move to Myrtle Beach has been very tough on one of my cats, Mille. She hasn't been eating - a visit to the vet this afternoon indicated that she was relatively healthy, but more than likely suffering from stress-induced anorexia.

This evening she became very weak and lethargic. We just got back from the emergency vet clinic. Her temperature is low - down to 97.3 from 103 - and the vet is doing blood work. He's keeping her overnight to get her on an IV drip.

I know some of you think of them as just animals, but having no children and having this sweet, lovable and playful cat for the past seven years makes her part of our family. We're very worried right now.

Please, if you're just in here to make a rude comment about cats, keep it to yourself. We love this pet, and it absolutely breaks my heart to think of her in any sort of pain.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2008, 09:17 PM
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9051/1066976577lry4.jpg

morphius
04-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Good luck man!

Moving a Maine Coon to Florida? Some animals just take a while to get comfortable in new places, hopefully he gets well soon.

KcMizzou
04-18-2008, 09:22 PM
I had no idea cats could become anorexic. I'd blame it on those skinny ass models in "Cat Fancy". They set an unrealistic expectation for a normal cat. Did you try a can of tuna?

(All kidding aside, good luck to your pet. I hope things work out.)

ChiefsFire
04-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Good luck with her FMB

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Since the vet visit this morning we've been force-feeding her prescription Science Diet AD - it's a high-calorie, high-sugar food. Tried several things last night and this morning, but she wouldn't eat anything.

Up until this evening she'd been fairly "normal" - minus a few things that are pretty usual signs of stress like hiding under the bed. Then it was this evening that she started getting weak and lethargic.

Mr. Christopher
04-18-2008, 09:26 PM
I know you might think that there a lot of jackasses on this site, and you'd be right. But having recently adopted a dog with my fiancee, I know how much having an animal means as a family, and I can certainl empathize with you. We adopted our dog from Iowa, but live in Indiana, so it took a little time for our new puppy to adjust to the new environment and get used to a new family. I felt bad for the poor guy, but he turned around, developed an appetite, and has been a real joy in our lives...as I'm sure your cat will, too.

Best wishes.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2008, 09:28 PM
The last time we moved it took her a couple of days to turn around, but she did. She never got even close to this bad.

We can call the vet in about an hour and a half to find out the results of the blood work. So Kim and I are staying awake for now.

She's unpacking and cleaning to take her mind off it. I'm here.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2008, 09:45 PM
You care for an animal - you're its caretaker. In exchange for your care, your pet, cat or dog, gives its love and affection. My wife and I both feel as if we've failed Mille. It's our job to keep her healthy and we've not held up our end of the bargain. It's crushing me right now.

Jenson71
04-18-2008, 09:46 PM
You care for an animal - you're its caretaker. In exchange for your care, your pet, cat or dog, gives its love and affection. My wife and I both feel as if we've failed Mille. It's our job to keep her healthy and we've not held up our end of the bargain. It's crushing me right now.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Cats are independent creatures, anyway. She'll overcome.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Cats are independent creatures, anyway. She'll overcome.

We're hoping so. We just are praying we didn't wait too long. Since she was acting fairly normal up until very recently, we kind of figured she was sneaking food at night. But I'm not so certain she was.

Mr. Christopher
04-18-2008, 09:52 PM
She's in good hands right now. Don't be too down on yourself.

Adept Havelock
04-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Don't beat yourself up over this. You've done more than many people I know would have by ponying up for an emergency vet visit, and caring as much as you do.

I know I freaked out some the last time my evil little bundle of fur got ill. Best wishes to you and the fuzzy member of your family. Let us know what the vet tells you, and how things go.

Rain Man
04-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Good luck. Hopefully she just ate a bad mouse or something.

KcMizzou
04-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Good luck. Hopefully she just ate a bad mouse or something.I did that once. Bad deal.

Teach her to check the expiration date first.

Frazod
04-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Hope everything turns out okay. We had a scare last year with one of ours, but he pulled through.

RealSNR
04-18-2008, 10:35 PM
My parents adopted an adult Main Coon from the humane society a few years ago. She hid in her kennel in the basement for about a week and only ate a couple times. Once she got comfortable she was okay, though.

When they moved to a new house, took a tissue, dabbed her nose a bunch of times, and rubbed it on a few close rooms in the new house. She stayed in that area of the house for a few days until she could further explore the new territory, but at least she was healthy near her litter box and food.

I have no idea about the real symptoms your cat is suffering from, but it may be that she's going through a depression and nothing is familiar to her in the new environment.

Either way, good luck! I hope your cat gets well soon.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2008, 10:50 PM
OK... her not eating is still an issue, but the doc said that her blood work is OK. Her white blood cell count is a little high, which could be indicative of stress or an infection - they're putting her on an antibiotic just to be safe. Her phosphorus (?) count in kidney function was a little high, but he said that was not indicative of anything being wrong, and he thought the fluids they were giving her now would bring that back down.

Then he said something the other vet didn't - the medication they gave as an appetite stimulant can have a mild sedative effect.

That would have been good to know about four hours ago.

But the not eating is still an issue, so we still have to keep an eye on her.

Adept Havelock
04-18-2008, 10:51 PM
OK... her not eating is still an issue, but the doc said that her blood work is OK. Her white blood cell count is a little high, which could be indicative of stress or an infection - they're putting her on an antibiotic just to be safe. Her phosphorus (?) count in kidney function was a little high, but he said that was not indicative of anything being wrong, and he thought the fluids they were giving her now would bring that back down.

Then he said something the other vet didn't - the medication they gave as an appetite stimulant can have a mild sedative effect.

Glad to hear it. May your fuzzy friend be comfortable in the new home soon.

Demonpenz
04-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I wish you lived in California where medicinal catnip was legalized

morphius
04-18-2008, 11:00 PM
My parents adopted an adult Main Coon from the humane society a few years ago. She hid in her kennel in the basement for about a week and only ate a couple times. Once she got comfortable she was okay, though.

When they moved to a new house, took a tissue, dabbed her nose a bunch of times, and rubbed it on a few close rooms in the new house. She stayed in that area of the house for a few days until she could further explore the new territory, but at least she was healthy near her litter box and food.

I have no idea about the real symptoms your cat is suffering from, but it may be that she's going through a depression and nothing is familiar to her in the new environment.

Either way, good luck! I hope your cat gets well soon.
My Main Coon (humane society as well), never had trouble moving, but is an interesting animal to say the least. My little sister cornered him when he was a small kitten to pet him, and he still hates her for it. The only time he ever bit anyone was when he thought my wife hurt my son when he was a baby and was very protective of him. Trippy little cat.

cdcox
04-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Glad to hear the blood work came back okay. Hope she gets her appetite back. Maybe a little apricot preserves would do the trick?

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Mille has some Maine Coon features, but she's actually part Siamese, part something else. As vocal as she is, I always said she was part Siamese, part chainsaw. She's WAYYYY too small to be Maine Coon.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Glad to hear the blood work came back okay. Hope she gets her appetite back. Maybe a little apricot preserves would do the trick?

:clap:

Demonpenz
04-18-2008, 11:08 PM
The picture reminds me of a story about a guy I know. He was a big time hunter, hunts deer elk big game. I asked him if he ever shot a bobcat, he said he sees them all the time but it is strange because the rub trees claw trees the same way as a house cat pet would do. So he would feel bad about shooting it. The pic looks like the type of bobcat

RealSNR
04-19-2008, 01:48 AM
My Main Coon (humane society as well), never had trouble moving, but is an interesting animal to say the least. My little sister cornered him when he was a small kitten to pet him, and he still hates her for it. The only time he ever bit anyone was when he thought my wife hurt my son when he was a baby and was very protective of him. Trippy little cat.Main Coons are great pets. They love kids and are extremely social and friendly. But yeah, sometimes they're a pain to brush, and they're just weird animals.

My parents had a break-in at their house about two years ago. All they got was my mom's purse, luckily. Because Mrs. Norris (I didn't name her, don't look at me) let out the biggest scream I've ever heard from a cat followed by loud hissing. The burglar probably knew they woke up from that and left. At first we thought something happened to Mrs. Norris, but she was just fine... as soon as she calmed down. Then my parents noticed that the door had been forced open and that the purse was missing from the table.

RealSNR
04-19-2008, 01:49 AM
That's really great news about Mille. Glad to hear there's nothing wrong internally.

Fire Me Boy!
04-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Just picked her up from the ER vet. She's still not eating voluntarily, but she's much, much better than she was last night. Immediately when I picked her up she didn't *feel* as weak and frail as she did last night.

phisherman
04-19-2008, 07:13 AM
our male cat was the same was as yours when we moved into our current house.

it just takes time, buster didn't REALLY eat for almost a week. he would sit in the corner of one of the rooms in his cat carrier and NEVER come out.

tmax63
04-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Keep looking for a favorite treat or food that she loves and will eat. FIL had 2 small dogs and when one died, the other got depressed and wouldn't eat. He finally got her to eat ham and after a while (I guess she cheered up) she finally started eating her dogfood again after a couple of months. The butcher was sad then. I like my "critters" better than most people so I know how you feel.

Bwana
04-19-2008, 08:39 AM
That blows, best of luck with that.

evolve27
04-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Best wishes.

MIAdragon
04-19-2008, 09:25 AM
GL FMB.

Fire Me Boy!
04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Hmm.... problems keep popping up. After having a "good" day on Saturday, Mille pretty quickly returned on Sunday and today to not eating and not drinking. She's back being slow and seemingly depressed. The doc thinks she might be a little dehydrated, so now we're having to force feed her Pediasure to get her electrolyte level where it should be. She's just so sad looking.

We're just trying to get her better... very tough watching her, though.

plbrdude
04-21-2008, 05:56 PM
good luck w/your cat. hope she comes around. i understand how attatched you can get to a pet.

Cntrygal
04-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Hope she's feeling better soon!

Hydrae
04-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Prayers and thoughts for all of you. She sure is a cute kitty and since she is only 7 years old, fairly young.

We have a 14 year old Siamese who gets all googly eyed whenever we start rearranging furniture. He is just sure we are going to move him again (he has only lived in 3 places and this same house for 8 1/2 years, you would think he would get over it already).

Mr. Flopnuts
04-21-2008, 07:22 PM

But the not eating is still an issue, so we still have to keep an eye on her.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, and it may mean nothing, but that was the beginning of the end of our cat. Her kidneys failed and she died within a year. She was 20 though, so I'm not trying to be a downer, just trying to encourage you to keep an eye on it.

Fire Me Boy!
04-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, and it may mean nothing, but that was the beginning of the end of our cat. Her kidneys failed and she died within a year. She was 20 though, so I'm not trying to be a downer, just trying to encourage you to keep an eye on it.

They're going to see her again in two weeks even if she returns to normal by then, and I think part of that reason is to do the blood work again.

Fire Me Boy!
04-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Update: She still isn't eating on her own. We're seeing a vet again today - possibly depression. Maybe we can get Mille on an anti-depressant for a short time.

Kim and I had a very difficult talk last night about what happens if the cat won't snap out of this. Mille's just miserable right now... she's running from us, knowing that at some point we're just going to force feed her.

Very sad.

El Jefe
04-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Good thoughts coming your way.

El Jefe
04-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Update: She still isn't eating on her own. We're seeing a vet again today - possibly depression. Maybe we can get Mille on an anti-depressant for a short time.

Kim and I had a very difficult talk last night about what happens if the cat won't snap out of this. Mille's just miserable right now... she's running from us, knowing that at some point we're just going to force feed her.

Very sad.

Been there done that, only with my dog, definetely understand what your going through.

StcChief
04-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Good luck, FMB she'll pull out of it or there is no shortage of cats there either...

Mr. Plow
04-25-2008, 08:15 AM
We bought a kitten last week. Very small. Pet store said he was 6 weeks even though he looked very small.

Everything was going good until last night. I went upstairs and found him in the bathroom, curled in a ball behind the door. I picked him up and he just felt limp. I really thought he was dead until he made some noise. I tried to set him down, but he didn't even have the strength to stand. I would lay him on a tshirt, and he would just lay his head down and close his eyes.

We immediately called the vet who said that it sounded like he was not 6 weeks when we bought him, but probably closer to 3-4 weeks. Which means he shouldn't have even been weened yet. He asked if he had been eating - we said yes, some kitten milk and a little bit of dry food. He said that most likely the kittens body couldn't handle that found and he eventually went into shock. The vet told us to get some Lamb baby food and some Pedialite so I went to the store at 11pm.

I started force feeding the Pedialite through a dropper and after about 10 dropper fulls, he moved his head a little bit. First self movement by the cat. Still, I told my wife I didn't think he would make it through the night.

She decided to try to give him some of the baby food on the dropper. The moment she put it in front of the kitten - Tiger - he popped his head up and started biting the dropper to get the food.

He proceeded to eat about 1/2 a jar of baby food. I slept with him in a box next to me all night checking on him about every 1 1/2 hours or so. He still wouldn't move, so I was not optimistic.

At 6am, I hear him meow at me and I look down to see him crawling out of the box and moving around. Great site!

He seems to be doing well right now. We are going to watch him all day, but the vet said that if he is moving well, we should just continue to feed him the baby food and Pedialite.

Keep your head up FMB.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
04-25-2008, 08:46 AM
All the best man - been there, done that - hang in there and cuddle the crap out of it...

PhillyChiefFan
04-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I know how attached I am to my dog, if you are the same with your cat, I can empithize. Good luck!

Javabean
04-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Good luck, I hope she gets better soon.

memyselfI
04-25-2008, 11:13 AM
I hope she gets better and soon. I'm glad you are having her seen. Early intervention when a cat is not eating is key. Is she still grooming herself or enjoying any of her former activities? It would seem she would be depressed if she's lethargic and not enjoying any of her enjoyable activities like grooming herself.

Cats are unusual creatures in that they don't enjoy eating like dogs rather they do it simply to survive. When a cat stops eating they are usually very ill or have decided they are through.

I have a 15 year old cat that is suffering from kidney disease, congestive heart failure, and hypertension. We keep thinking the old guy will just stop but he keeps eating though he vomits alot, he grooms himself, indulges in his catnip plant, and still enjoys crashing in the sun. No way is he ready to go yet. Though I think his body is going to stop before his will to live does.

Dartgod
04-25-2008, 11:25 AM
I slept with him in a box next to me all night...
Must have been a big box!

Boyceofsummer
04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I hope she gets better and soon. I'm glad you are having her seen. Early intervention when a cat is not eating is key. Is she still grooming herself or enjoying any of her former activities? It would seem she would be depressed if she's lethargic and not enjoying any of her enjoyable activities like grooming herself.

Cats are unusual creatures in that they don't enjoy eating like dogs rather they do it simply to survive. When a cat stops eating they are usually very ill or have decided they are through.

I have a 15 year old cat that is suffering from kidney disease, congestive heart failure, and hypertension. We keep thinking the old guy will just stop but he keeps eating though he vomits along, he grooms himself, indulges in his catnip plant, and still enjoys crashing in the sun. No way is he ready to go yet. Though I think his body is going to stop before his will to live does.

Our older cat (11) was just diagnosed with chronic renal failure. I did not realize this was so common. It explains many symptoms of other cats we have owned. This female has rebounded very well, as our vet predicted. This is a fatal disease though. I prepared my wife for the worst scenario that did not transpire thankfully.

stlchiefs
04-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Must have been a big box!

He must've borrowed it from DaFace. I guess the fort got downsized.

Frankie
04-25-2008, 01:36 PM
I know some of you think of them as just animals, but having no children and having this sweet, lovable and playful cat for the past seven years makes her part of our family. We're very worried right now.

Please, if you're just in here to make a rude comment about cats, keep it to yourself. We love this pet, and it absolutely breaks my heart to think of her in any sort of pain.

This board was very understanding when a few months ago I almost lost my cat Puya. Puya used up a couple of his nine lives then, but he's alive and well and playful now. I wish the same for yours.

Mr. Plow
04-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread FMB.

Man was I completely wrong. Our kitten woke up happy and playful. We brought him in to work with us to keep an eye on. All day, he just kind of sat in the box. Wouldn't really eat. Wouldn't drink anything. Wouldn't move a whole bunch.

So we called the vet, they said to bring him in to take a look at him. My wife took him down there. She just called and said that Tiger has distemper and that he wouldn't survive. I called her to tell her I was coming down, she said that I didn't need to that they were putting him down now.

Man what a bad Friday.

Adept Havelock
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM

Man was I completely wrong. Our kitten woke up happy and playful. We brought him in to work with us to keep an eye on. All day, he just kind of sat in the box. Wouldn't really eat. Wouldn't drink anything. Wouldn't move a whole bunch.

So we called the vet, they said to bring him in to take a look at him. My wife took him down there. She just called and said that Tiger has distemper and that he wouldn't survive. I called her to tell her I was coming down, she said that I didn't need to that they were putting him down now.

Man what a bad Friday.

Sorry for your loss, Mr. Plow.

memyselfI
04-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Man what a bad Friday.

I'm soooo sorry.

Not only do you have the loss of your pet but your kids are crushed. Luckily you did this before you have a big vet bill. We saw a client who adopted a sick kitten. She sank HUNDREDS of dollars into trying to save the poor thing and all for not. She had 'insurance' through the shelter but the insurance didn't cover it because it was a 'pre-existing condition' and she was stuck holding the bill. The vet wasn't much relief either.

Bad situation all around.

Fire Me Boy!
04-28-2008, 08:12 AM
We may be nearing the end... Mille continues to not eat or drink on her own. Kim was at the vet this morning - vet's going to do some more bloodwork. They said Mille's skin is yellowing in the ears and she's a little pale under the eyes, indicative of some liver problems.

Vet said they'd need to do more bloodwork to find out how bad she is. We need to know the extent of the damage - if she's beyond repair then that's something Kim and I need to face sooner than later.

This is turning out so far to be a crappy day.

Mr. Plow
04-28-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm sorry to hear that FMB. It's tough to see a pet suffering and not know what to do or how to help.

Hopefully everything will turn out alright.

dirk digler
04-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear that FMB. My 14 yr old cat a couple of weeks ago started having seizures or was looking like he was having a stroke. He would roll his eyes up in his head and roll over and his legs would go stiff. It totally freaked us out. Took him to the vet and he has some kind of heart problem that causes clots. Luckily they gave him some medicine and he hasn't done it since.

I dread the day my cat dies he has been with me through thick and thin.

Fire Me Boy!
04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Sorry to hear that FMB. My 14 yr old cat a couple of weeks ago started having seizures or was looking like he was having a stroke. He would roll his eyes up in his head and roll over and his legs would go stiff. It totally freaked us out. Took him to the vet and he has some kind of heart problem that causes clots. Luckily they gave him some medicine and he hasn't done it since.

I dread the day my cat dies he has been with me through thick and thin.

Same here. I dread even more the prospect of having to have her put to sleep to save her any further pain.

I worry, too, about my wife. She has a very intense fear of death. Couple that with the fact she's never really had a pet and she is VERY attached to both our cats... as upset as I am, she may be worse.

She's also pretty homesick right now, and this will make things worse for her.

Fire Me Boy!
04-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Bloodwork shows some elevated levels in liver function and Mille's becoming somewhat anemic. Vet said obviously something to worry a little about and keep an eye on, but nothing she can't bounce back from.

I guess we're just doing what we can and keeping out fingers crossed.

phisherman
04-28-2008, 08:44 AM
hope that cat turns out ok.

maine coons are really cool cats.

RealSNR
04-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Good to hear the vet said "nothing she can't bounce back from." At least you know if it's in the liver a few of the things that you CAN do, and you can try to fix her medically instead of force feeding and hoping she gets better.

Fire Me Boy!
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Good to hear the vet said "nothing she can't bounce back from." At least you know if it's in the liver a few of the things that you CAN do, and you can try to fix her medically instead of force feeding and hoping she gets better.

The liver problem has been a result of these problems, not the cause of. A week and a half ago, all her organs were doing well. She's apparently been going downhill.

We started doing subcutaneous fluids today for her - that should help the fluid situation since she'll absorb more of it than when we were force feeding her the Pedialyte.

NUMBER7
04-28-2008, 10:35 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Tinic-4-oz/dp/B00076HUAA

This is a great liquid vitamin mix we have used with all our cats. Pet - Tinic will perk them up and promote an appetite. Good luck.

KCJohnny
04-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Went through this last year. Pets are members of the family and the emotions are intense. Godspeed Mille and your family, friend.
KCJ

MTG#10
04-28-2008, 11:02 AM
that first tag is just wrong..:shake:

Fire Me Boy!
04-28-2008, 11:16 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Tinic-4-oz/dp/B00076HUAA

This is a great liquid vitamin mix we have used with all our cats. Pet - Tinic will perk them up and promote an appetite. Good luck.
Thank you. The only thing she'll eat voluntarily is a gel vitamin supplement - she'll lick it off my finger, but you're only supposed to give 1 tsp. per day.

Fire Me Boy!
04-28-2008, 11:17 AM
that first tag is just wrong..:shake:

Can a mod please delete that? That's really in poor taste, and whomever added that tag should be ashamed.

NUMBER7
04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Thank you. The only thing she'll eat voluntarily is a gel vitamin supplement - she'll lick it off my finger, but you're only supposed to give 1 tsp. per day.

That is good she will lick that off your finger. We have also had good luck with the hairball remedy Laxatone. It is just important to get them to eat period and increase their caloric intake. I know she is in good care. I am in medicine and if you have any questions I would would be happy to provide you with an additonal analysis of the blood work. Feel free to PM me.

Fire Me Boy!
04-28-2008, 04:42 PM
That is good she will lick that off your finger. We have also had good luck with the hairball remedy Laxatone. It is just important to get them to eat period and increase their caloric intake. I know she is in good care. I am in medicine and if you have any questions I would would be happy to provide you with an additonal analysis of the blood work. Feel free to PM me.

Thank you. The vitamin sup is by the same people that make Laxatone, I believe.

If I get a copy of the bloodwork I'll send it your way. Thanks.

NUMBER7
04-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Thank you. The vitamin sup is by the same people that make Laxatone, I believe.

If I get a copy of the bloodwork I'll send it your way. Thanks.

Sweet I will get the results posted back to you as soon as possible.

chasedude
04-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Good Luck FMB, as a animal lover I know what it's like to love that special friend around. Sometimes I wish more people were like animals, they don't talk.

Fire Me Boy!
04-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the good thoughts people.

It's looking more and more grim. She's been vomiting her food for the last three days, not able to keep it down. Vet thinks that short of a feeding tube, there isn't much more we can do. I'm supposed to call her tomorrow.

It honestly seems like the harder Kim and I try, the less Mille tries.

CrazyPhuD
04-29-2008, 06:16 PM
:( here's hoping for a stroke of good luck :(

pr_capone
04-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Sorry to hear FMB. Loosing a pet is always hard. Don't mean to be crude but perhaps you might now start considering letting her go to sleep.

Jeez though... its gotta be tough. I get misty just thinking of when the time comes that I have to make that decision with Keely.

My thoughts are with you and Kim.

Phobia
04-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I know you like your cat and everything but your cat doesn't want to be alive, clearly.

You can't beat yourself up about it. You can't keep throwing money at a problem that won't go away.

I mean, it's not like we're talking about a kid or an elderly parent. It's a pet and you'll go through 8 or 9 of them in your lifetime.

I know I'm not known for liking cats but my position is steadfast even if this is a dog. I'm not looking to step on toes or piss in cheerios..... It's time to man up and put the cat down. Stop by the shelter and bring home a kitten. The wife will follow your lead. If you're emotionally distraught for weeks over a cat, then she will be as well - times 10.

Demonpenz
04-29-2008, 06:30 PM
i had a simease for 17 years i would recommend you not get the same type of cat again so you get a chance to let the new one be itself and not have you comparing it to your old cat

Frazod
04-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I concur with Phil's advice. Sounds like the cat's time is up. You have to ask yourself - are you keeping the cat alive for it's sake or yours?

It's always sad to lose a pet, but the next one will love you just as much.

Davechief
04-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Hope everything goes ok for you. I had a similar issue with one of our male cats last year. He was fine one day and stopped eating the next. We did the same thing, took him to the vet and they force fed him the high protein foods. He was also put on some form of antibiotic. Within a few days he cleared up. My wife had noticed when he went to the litter box a very strong smell (more intense than usual) after urinating. I wondered if it may have been a bit of urinary tract infection. Long story short he turned out ok. Hope to hear that everything turns out well for you.

Fire Me Boy!
04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
I know you like your cat and everything but your cat doesn't want to be alive, clearly.

You can't beat yourself up about it. You can't keep throwing money at a problem that won't go away.

I mean, it's not like we're talking about a kid or an elderly parent. It's a pet and you'll go through 8 or 9 of them in your lifetime.

I know I'm not known for liking cats but my position is steadfast even if this is a dog. I'm not looking to step on toes or piss in cheerios..... It's time to man up and put the cat down. Stop by the shelter and bring home a kitten. The wife will follow your lead. If you're emotionally distraught for weeks over a cat, then she will be as well - times 10.

We've already had that discussion, and are pretty sure it's coming. That's part of what I want to talk to the vet about tomorrow. And I know that part of our discussion tonight was that we not keep her alive just to keep her alive. Part of being a good pet "owner" is doing what's best for the animal, even when it's painful to do.

But I would much rather have to put her to sleep, where I know she won't feel pain and I can give her love until her final breath, than find her dead some afternoon and not know if she suffered.

Mr. Plow
04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
We've already had that discussion, and are pretty sure it's coming. That's part of what I want to talk to the vet about tomorrow. And I know that part of our discussion tonight was that we not keep her alive just to keep her alive. Part of being a good pet "owner" is doing what's best for the animal, even when it's painful to do.

But I would much rather have to put her to sleep, where I know she won't feel pain and I can give her love until her final breath, than find her dead some afternoon and not know if she suffered.

I'm glad I'm not in your shoes. Other than the kitten - Tiger - I have never had to put an animal to sleep. Not that we weren't attached, but we only had her about a week.

It's tough enough having to tell a 2 & 3 year old that Tiger ran away. Even tonight, a few days later and out of the blue, my 2 year old said "Dad, I miss Tiger." Oy vey. It's hard to look him in the eyes and say "I do too bud".

cdcox
04-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm really sorry to hear she's not responding. I've been pulling for you guys.

Fire Me Boy!
04-30-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm very sad. :deevee:

We had to let Mille go today. Mille has not been able to keep her food down for the last few days and the vet said she had reached a point where we just couldn't keep enough nutrition in her. The only option was a surgically-placed feeding tube into her stomach, and even then we were only looking at a 10-20 percent chance for her.

So Kim and said our goodbyes, and we held her as she passed.

That's one of the hardest things I've ever done.

RIP Mille-butt. Give 'em hell.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1883/mille6ja3.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille6ja3.jpg) http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9498/mille1cg6.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille1cg6.jpg) http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/172/mille2cf4.th.jpg (http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille2cf4.jpg) http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7136/mille3is2.th.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille3is2.jpg) http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5111/mille4hg7.th.jpg (http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille4hg7.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/446/mille5qk1.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille5qk1.jpg)

QuikSsurfer
04-30-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, FMB.
I've been following this thread and hate to see it turn out like this.
You and the wife shouldn't wait too long to get another one.

MTG#10
04-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Sorry about your cat man. Get another one to help ease the pain a bit.

tomahawk kid
04-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Sorry dude.

Losing a pet sucks.

Best of luck to you and yours and I would echo Phob's advice.

Adept Havelock
04-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear it FMB. It's tough losing a furry member of the family. Grieve her, and then bring home a new companion.

Frazod
04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

But you did the right thing.

Hydrae
04-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Please allow me to also offer my condolences. It is never easy to lose a long time friend like that, especially right after a move and all.

Give Kim a hug and when you are both ready find a new friend. It won't be Mille but they grow on you pretty quickly.

DenverChief
04-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear that FMB I have been checkin in on this thread hoping your lil buddy would pull through.....as a dog and cat owner I feel your pain.....

DaFace
04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear things didn't work out, man. I've only had to deal with the loss of a loved pet once, and it wasn't much fun. Hang in there.

Dartgod
04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Sorry for your loss FMB. :(

TrebMaxx
04-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Very sorry to hear FMB. Putting pets down is not a easy thing, especially to be holding them while they take their last breath. I've done it. It hurts badly but you must realize you did the best thing for Mille.

Mr. Plow
04-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss FMB. I never like losing a pet. Hope you and your wife are able to cope with the loss. Good luck and God bless.

MadMax
04-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss :( I know it's NEVER easy.I have one that is 17 years old and it will absolutely devastate me when I have to put her down.../cry

CrazyPhuD
04-30-2008, 07:25 PM
:(

Rain Man
04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I, my tabby, and my forest cat send our condolences.

cdcox
04-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Again, sorry to hear this FMB. I've held one of our cats as we put him donw. Not fun.

We two cats now and one of them is really special. I can't even imagine how hard it will be when we lose him.

Al Czervik
04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
FMB,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Peace to you and your wife.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-01-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm very sad. :deevee:

We had to let Mille go today. Mille has not been able to keep her food down for the last few days and the vet said she had reached a point where we just couldn't keep enough nutrition in her. The only option was a surgically-placed feeding tube into her stomach, and even then we were only looking at a 10-20 percent chance for her.

So Kim and said our goodbyes, and we held her as she passed.

That's one of the hardest things I've ever done.

RIP Mille-butt. Give 'em hell.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1883/mille6ja3.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille6ja3.jpg) http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9498/mille1cg6.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille1cg6.jpg) http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/172/mille2cf4.th.jpg (http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille2cf4.jpg) http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7136/mille3is2.th.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille3is2.jpg) http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5111/mille4hg7.th.jpg (http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille4hg7.jpg) http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/446/mille5qk1.th.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mille5qk1.jpg)

Terrible news. I had an idea of what was going on because as I said in an earlier post, we just went through it last summer. Our cat was 20 though, so I held out hope. I'm sorry it went the way it did, but better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. Everyone won from beginning to end.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Kind of strange. Your cat looked just like ours.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
05-01-2008, 04:43 AM
So sorry to hear this - we just had to do this to our 14-yr-old a couple months ago - I feel your pain.....

shakesthecat
05-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Sorry to hear this FMB.

We're slowly losing a similar battle with one of ours.

ChiefsFan4Life
05-01-2008, 06:09 AM
Sorry to hear about this - I know how hard it is to lose a member of the family, which pets are.

plbrdude
05-01-2008, 06:59 AM
sorry to hear about your cat. never easy to lose a pet. even though my cats are outside/shop cats they're still part of the family and i know yours was too. best wishes to you and your family.

morphius
05-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Sorry to hear about Mille, I was really hoping she would pull through.

Mr. Kotter
05-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Pets become part of the family, don't they? Sorry for your loss.

Fire Me Boy!
05-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Thank you all. She was definitely part of the family, and she'll be missed.

I think the hardest part for me and Kim has been that nothing happened. It would have been easier if she were old, or if there'd been some kind of accident... but this just came on, and there's no way to tell what caused it or if there was something that could have prevented it.

And I know everyone thinks their pets are special, but the few people that knew Mille know she was unlike any other cat. She grew up thinking she was human - her momma cat was killed by a pit bull in the shelter when the litter was less than two days old (eyes not even open yet). Mille was hand-raised by a woman from my old workplace, and Mille never quite figured out she was a cat.

Demonpenz
05-01-2008, 07:38 AM
We actually have a cat statue outside my parents home. A stone cat pawing at something reminder of what a staple our cat was at my parents house. The cat is burried too. My dogs are to fat to bury there haha so i don't know where they are getting burried animals are fun but loosing is the trade off you have from the fun

gblowfish
05-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Very sad. Sorry things worked out that way. But you gave Millie a good, safe home and lots of love, and that's all any dog or kitty is looking for.

There's so many animals out there that need a loving home. In a few weeks you should go to your local shelter, and give another deserving kitty a chance for a good home.

I've lost two of mine over the past couple years, and even though it was hard to lose them, I wouldn't trade the love and happiness they gave me.

Hang in there dude.

chasedude
05-01-2008, 08:14 AM
I lived on a farm close to a fast traveled highway as a kid. We had alot of animals growing up. Life out there wasn't easy for a kid, not alot of friends to play with. Animals were my best friends growing up. I buried alot of animals because of that damn highway. Losing a pet, you can never get used to it. My heart goes out to you FMB and Mrs FMB.