PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Star Tribune: Vikings Owner Downplays Allen Trade Talk

BigRock
04-18-2008, 10:42 PM
MORE ALLEN POSTS THAN YOU CAN SHAKE A STICK AT

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/17933509.html

The Vikings had Jared Allen right where they wanted him Friday. The Pro Bowl defensive end spent much of his day receiving first-class treatment and visiting with team officials at Winter Park.

But owner Zygi Wilf attempted to downplay talk the Vikings were on the verge of working out a trade with Kansas City or a multiyear contract for Allen with agent, Ken Harris, who also was in town. Both of those things would have to happen for Allen, designated by the Chiefs as their franchise player, to end up in Minnesota.

"It's a multi-front type of [deal]," Wilf said while making an appearance at the Vikings' facility during a soccer event to benefit the Twin Cities-based National Marrow Donor Program. "You have to deal with Kansas City, you have to deal with Jared. It's a whole aspect, and you have to weigh that with what's best for the club. That's ultimately what's most important. What would be the best for this club and how we can get to the next level?"

Asked if an agreement with Kansas City was close, coach Brad Childress said, "There are variables." Chiefs President Carl Peterson, meanwhile, told the Associated Press that "we're talking in speculation right now. At this particular point, nothing has been done or consummated."

Allen would fill one of the Vikings' biggest needs. His 15.5 sacks led the NFL last season and were 10.5 more than the Vikings' team leaders.

"I just think [he's a] relentless guy that was a long snapper, that was a fourth-round draft pick, that plays the run as good as he plays the pass," Childress said. "He's not just a DPR [designated pass rusher]. That's what you like about him. He's a high-energy guy. I like that."

Childress was part of a traveling party that flew in Wilf's private plane to San Jose on Thursday to pick up Allen and his girlfriend and bring them back to Minnesota. Childress said Allen and Vikings Pro Bowl left guard Steve Hutchinson had dinner Thursday night.

Wilf acknowledged he was in town Friday in part because of Allen's presence.

"I was here on and off during the whole week, but him being here, I wanted to be able to have some time with him, get to know him," Wilf said. "It's very important as part of the whole process. Evaluating what's best for our team."

There are two key factors in this situation: How much compensation are the Vikings willing to give Kansas City and how much money do they want to spend on Allen?

At a minimum, the Chiefs are believed to want the Vikings' 17th pick in the first round and one of their third-round selections in next weekend's draft. Allen, meanwhile, is likely looking for a contract similar to the six-year, $72 million blockbuster deal the Colts gave to end Dwight Freeney last summer. Freeney received $30 million guaranteed. (If Allen returns to the Chiefs as their franchise player he will make $8.8 million next season.)

Wilf was quick to acknowledge that giving up draft picks is "very tough," adding that "decisions like this are very difficult. Very difficult." A decision, though, will need to come quickly. Allen is reportedly set to visit with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next week if he gets out of Minnesota.

If the Vikings were unable to work a trade with Kansas City, another option would be to sign Allen to an offer sheet. That would give the Chiefs the option of matching or would cost the Vikings' two first-round picks. That price would be too much.

"We wouldn't do that," Childress said

Childress also was asked about Allen's past off-the-field issues. Allen was suspended by the NFL for the first two games last season after twice being charged with drunken driving and faces a significant suspension if he gets in further trouble. He has said in interviews that he has quit drinking.
Childress, who preaches accountability among his players, made it clear that Allen's past hasn't been ignored.

SBK
04-18-2008, 11:11 PM
The Vikings want him so bad they can taste it.

L.A. Chieffan
04-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Is there something going on with Jared Allen? I havent been around for the past couple of days

KcMizzou
04-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Is there something going on with Jared Allen? I havent been around for the past couple of daysHe's considering leaving the Chiefs to join the Pussycat Dolls. Supposedly, we're trading him for their 1st and 3rd best looking cheerleaders.

KcMizzou
04-18-2008, 11:23 PM
The Vikings want him so bad they can taste it.Works for me. Just make 'em pay.

04-18-2008, 11:34 PM
This 1st and 3rd business cracks me up.

SBK
04-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I keep thinking about how we got Surtain. Miami said 2, we kicked and screamed and made all kinds of offers, but in the end he was had for exactly what Miami wanted.

I think that's what will happen here, we're getting this years 1 and 2.

buddha
04-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Will Minny pay Allen Dwight Freeny numbers? That seems like the toughest part of this to imagine.

RustShack
04-19-2008, 12:15 AM
I want more than just 1st and 3rd round draft picks.

KcMizzou
04-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Will Minny pay Allen Dwight Freeny numbers? That seems like the toughest part of this to imagine.I agree, but they seem pretty damned eager.

SBK
04-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I agree, but they seem pretty damned eager.

I wonder if they get Allen if they'll REALLY wish they hadn't unloaded Moss?

Rausch
04-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Allen might not hit the Bay for a while but we can talk trade stipulations right now. If the Vikes want to balk turn up the volume with Tampa...

J Diddy
04-19-2008, 12:32 AM
I want more than just 1st and 3rd round draft picks.

I think Carl's got them by the balls and everyone knows it
They want him bad enough to pay much to get him

Someone in a previous post tonight equated it with us going after Surtain and I would agree

We paid the asking price so will they

Plus if Carl doesn't get a good deal for JA he knows the fans will be enormously pissed off, something he is scared of

Bugeater
04-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Plus if Carl doesn't get a good deal for JA he knows the fans will be enormously pissed off, something he is scared of
Oh give me a break, Carl has to be used to the fans being pissed off at him by now.