PDA

View Full Version : Computers Is it more difficult to add RAM to a laptop than a PC?

Mojo Rising
04-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I have added RAM to a few PC's. I just bought a new laptop and want to boost the 2g to 4g ($50) to make Vista run faster. Will it be more difficult than it was on the PC? I have never opened a laptop before.

DaFace
04-18-2008, 10:51 PM
It's usually MUCH easier on the laptop. The majority of the time, there's a panel on the bottom that opens directly to the RAM slots.

morphius
04-18-2008, 11:04 PM
It's usually MUCH easier on the laptop. The majority of the time, there's a panel on the bottom that opens directly to the RAM slots.
My Dell has one slot on the bottom that is easy to get to, the other slot you have to remove the keyboard.

Mojo Rising
04-18-2008, 11:09 PM
It is a Toshiba. It will be my 1st laptop. Are Toshiba's any good? It's max memory is 4gb. I upgraded my new PC which runs Vista and there was a small improvement in speed. Can you find 2 gigs for cheaper than $50? Do I need to buy 2 1 g cards or can I buy 1 2 g card?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Fish
04-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Go to the toshiba website and enter your exact model number into their search. You can get downloadable, or sometimes online owners manual and upgrade instructions specific for your model.

But like he said above, there's probably a little square panel on the underside that screws off. Find out what memory you need and pop it in.

pr_capone
04-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Just did the same thing to my friends Toshiba.... easy.

A small panel in the back, slide the stick of ram into the empty slot at a 45 degree angle and push down until it clips.

Done.