PDA

View Full Version : Money Online trading

runnercyclist
04-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Well, the new job is going great in "The 304" we really like it here. We got 2x the house we had in Squeelerburg and the cash is starting to pile up in the old checking account.

I have 529s for the kids and my 401K is solid, so I think I want to open an online trading account. Anyone out there have any experience and can recommend one vs another?

I'll not become a daytrader but would like to stash some cash somewhere other than in my 401K and checking account.

Thanks for the 411...

UteChief
04-19-2008, 09:30 AM
I can't remember if this is the right article but it may get you on your way?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/StartInvesting/BuildYourFirstStockPortfolio.aspx

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/beginnerguide.asp?page=introduction

Delano
04-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Talk to a financial adviser yet?

stlchiefs
04-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Do some research. Depending on what you plan on buying different online companies are better. Some have more no-load mutual funds with low/no fees for purchasing mutual funds other's claim to fame is low fees for stock purchases or 10 free trades for signing up etc. If you are only going to buy some funds to hold, a bunch of free trades are worth little, etc.

I had an article a while ago that broke down the best companies based on your needs, I'll see if I can track it down again.

keg in kc
04-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Is this the same "304" that I grew up in? The one with the map that looks like you're flipping yourself the bird left-handed?

runnercyclist
04-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Is this the same "304" that I grew up in? The one with the map that looks like you're flipping yourself the bird left-handed?

Yep

runnercyclist
04-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Talk to a financial adviser yet?

Yes. He is the one that set up the 529s.

I just want to mess around with a few thousand in the market. Nothing real serious.

Stewie
04-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I use Scottrade. I've never had a problem in over 10 years and they have branch offices so you can talk to an actual person.

www.scottrade.com

alnorth
04-19-2008, 10:38 AM
You should probably max out all tax-advantaged methods of saving first. If you have maxed out your 401k, (assuming your married) your wife has maxed out her 401k or spousal IRA/Roth IRA, and you have maxed out a Roth IRA (assuming you dont make too much money to qualify), then it could make sense to start dumping the excess into taxable accounts.