PDA

View Full Version : Your top five at No. 17

CupidStunt
04-19-2008, 06:40 AM
Just for fun, since it looks like we may well have that pick along with No. 5.

Sfeihc
04-19-2008, 07:48 AM
1)J. Otah OT- Herm loves him some Jeff Otah
2)P. Merling DE-Need 2 in this draft now instead of 1
3)M. Jenkins CB-This draft is beginning to take on Noah's Ark proportions
4)A. Cason CB- The Chiefs need 2 of everything
5)D. Harvey DE- I think he'll be long gone but if he's there it's a steal.......

JBucc
04-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Not in any real order...some of them probably won't be there

Chris Williams
Derrick Harvey
Philip Merling
Jerod Mayo
One of the top CB's
Really wouldn't be too upset if we went for Brohm

the Talking Can
04-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Not in any real order...some of them probably won't be there

Really wouldn't be too upset if we went for Brohm

i wouldn't either...and what about WR Deshawn Jackson...how big a reach would he be at that spot, I wonder?

but Williams is the most likely...

Direckshun
04-19-2008, 10:08 AM
1. OT Chris Williams -- once thought of as an impossibility for the Chiefs to acquire, he now is straight in our crosshairs.

2. OT Jeff Otah -- I'll agree with whomever said it: the Chiefs adore Otah.

3. DE Derrick Harvey -- Sigh. Sadly, it's a need again.

4. DT Kentwan Balmer -- Depending on if we go DT with our first pick.

5. RB Rashard Mendenhall -- **** you guys, this guy is the next LJ, with twice his speed.

xbarretx
04-19-2008, 10:12 AM
1. OT Chris Williams -- once thought of as an impossibility for the Chiefs to acquire, he now is straight in our crosshairs.

2. OT Jeff Otah -- I'll agree with whomever said it: the Chiefs adore Otah.

3. DE Derrick Harvey -- Sigh. Sadly, it's a need again.

4. DT Kentwan Balmer -- Depending on if we go DT with our first pick.

5. RB Rashard Mendenhall -- **** you guys, this guy is the next LJ, with twice his speed.

does that mean we can give LJ the boot? :P j/k

i think that if we bring a semi decent O-line to the game this year.....LJ will have another good year. i mean shit the mans been resting for how long thanks to that foot injury.... so hopefully a full recovery from over running the ball has taken place.

Direckshun
04-19-2008, 10:19 AM
does that mean we can give LJ the boot? :P j/k

i think that if we bring a semi decent O-line to the game this year.....LJ will have another good year. i mean shit the mans been resting for how long thanks to that foot injury.... so hopefully a full recovery from over running the ball has taken place.
Oh I don't have high hopes for LJ, but mainly because I think the OL blows.

That said, the guy tanked it last year. He looked horrendous. But it fed off the crappy OL, no doubt.

Mendenhall has the elite fresh legs to keep LJ fresh and extend his career. Mendenhall has the exact same skillset at LJ, so it wouldn't be a great pick in terms of strategy, but it would be literally impossible for me to pass on him at #17 -- even if Harvey, Williams, and Otah were on the board. That's how high I am on that kid.

melbar
04-19-2008, 10:21 AM
What about Albert? He's a reach at 5, but if he's there at 17 (where he's been ranked all preseason) its a solid pick.

Campbell and Merling may be nice DE picks here also.

xbarretx
04-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Oh I don't have high hopes for LJ, but mainly because I think the OL blows.

That said, the guy tanked it last year. He looked horrendous. But it fed off the crappy OL, no doubt.

Mendenhall has the elite fresh legs to keep LJ fresh and extend his career. Mendenhall has the exact same skillset at LJ, so it wouldn't be a great pick in terms of strategy, but it would be literally impossible for me to pass on him at #17 -- even if Harvey, Williams, and Otah were on the board. That's how high I am on that kid.

for what its worth Direckshun, i too wanted LJ traded to the packers (or whomever the rumor was that wanted him) with RB's being a dimb a dozen here of recent years....theres no reason for it. hell look what Kolby did in his few apps... i think we can easily replace LJ so long term wasnt the best idea. TG on the other hand cant be replaced by anyone so simple. so while hes a bit older i understand that move.

in conclusion... i WISH WE COULD TRADE LJ regardless of what he does this year. So be it if he comes back to pro form this year ill be more then happy to eat some crow and maybe go up for seconds ;)

Direckshun
04-19-2008, 10:29 AM
What about Albert? He's a reach at 5, but if he's there at 17 (where he's been ranked all preseason) its a solid pick.

Campbell and Merling may be nice DE picks here also.
Campbell's slipping -- I bet he lasts to almost the third. The guy has tanked his entire Draft stock.

Albert I honestly forgot about -- truth be told he'd be close to my Top 5. I wouldn't be surprised if that's who the Chiefs target over everybody else.

Direckshun
04-19-2008, 10:31 AM
for what its worth Direckshun, i too wanted LJ traded to the packers (or whomever the rumor was that wanted him) with RB's being a dimb a dozen here of recent years....theres no reason for it. hell look what Kolby did in his few apps... i think we can easily replace LJ so long term wasnt the best idea. TG on the other hand cant be replaced by anyone so simple. so while hes a bit older i understand that move.

in conclusion... i WISH WE COULD TRADE LJ regardless of what he does this year. So be it if he comes back to pro form this year ill be more then happy to eat some crow and maybe go up for seconds ;)
Expect to see LJ on the trading block a year or two from now. I'm willing to bet they can get someone to bite on him for a midrounder.

That said, as much as we're slamming him... the Chiefs were 4-3 with him (2-0 against the division), 0-9 without him (0-4 against the division).

xbarretx
04-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Expect to see LJ on the trading block a year or two from now. I'm willing to bet they can get someone to bite on him for a midrounder.

That said, as much as we're slamming him... the Chiefs were 4-3 with him (2-0 against the division), 0-9 without him (0-4 against the division).

well lets hope for some strong upcomming draft classes :p

Direckshun
04-19-2008, 10:34 AM
well lets hope for some strong upcomming draft classes :p
Hey, if you Draft well you don't need 'em. :)

If we get the Vikings' 1st and 2nd, that's four picks in the top 47 or so.... That's insane value.

melbar
04-19-2008, 10:37 AM
BTW
1. Williams
2. Otah
3. Cason
4. Merling
5. Albert

I like the Mendenhall pick too... A lot more options at 17. Lots of CB that would fit here too.

Direckshun
04-19-2008, 10:39 AM
BTW
1. Williams
2. Otah
3. Cason
4. Merling
5. Albert

I like the Mendenhall pick too... A lot more options at 17. Lots of CB that would fit here too.
I don't know... do you think CB is really worth a 1st rounder on this team?

I think we've got such big holes on both OL and DL, I'd be upset if we didn't go with one of those two (unless something freaky happens like Mendenhall/Rivers/DRC falling to us).

melbar
04-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't know... do you think CB is really worth a 1st rounder on this team?

I think we've got such big holes on both OL and DL, I'd be upset if we didn't go with one of those two (unless something freaky happens like Mendenhall/Rivers/DRC falling to us).

I just think we need a starter at CB and even though speed isnt as important in the cover 2, a solid guy with instincts may even supplant Sartain by years end. OT could be there in 2. Not saying we have to have CB, but we also have to remember that if we dont get as much pressure up front our CB's will have to do more work. ----Come to think of it if we do get pressure, we need someone who will know what to do with opportunities that may provide.

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2008, 10:45 AM

LJ runs a 4.38 While Mendenhall has 4.45 speed

xbarretx
04-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Hey, if you Draft well you don't need 'em. :)

If we get the Vikings' 1st and 2nd, that's four picks in the top 47 or so.... That's insane value.

Print it! :thumb:

milkman
04-19-2008, 10:49 AM

I think, because of Tony Gonzalez, TE is the most overrated position on the football field by Chiefs fans.

It's nice to have a great one, but in the end, as the Giants found out, if you have a guy that can block, and make a few plays as a receiver, you can win without a great TE.

Hell, Eli Manning began to mature and play at a higher level without Shockey.

RedandGold
04-19-2008, 10:56 AM
1. Chris Williams OT
2. Jeff Otah OT
3. Phillip Merling DE
4. DeSean Jackson WR
5. Rashard Mendenhall RB

Even though I wouldn't put RB as a team need, if Mendenhall drops to #17, there's too much value there to pass up.

xbarretx
04-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I think, because of Tony Gonzalez, TE is the most overrated position on the football field by Chiefs fans.

It's nice to have a great one, but in the end, as the Giants found out, if you have a guy that can block, and make a few plays as a receiver, you can win without a great TE.

i agree, and would like to note i was only comparing LJ and TG's contracts :)

Direckshun
04-19-2008, 11:00 AM
LJ runs a 4.38 While Mendenhall has 4.45 speed
He looks faster on the field.

LJ never leads defenses in the dust like a 4.3 runner should, while Mendenhall has a few times.

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2008, 11:02 AM
LJ never leads defenses in the dust like a 4.3 runner should, while Mendenhall has a few times.

Dude, have we been watching the same games that's what makes LJ so dangerous behinds his power it's his breakaway speed

remember that 99 yard run?

JBucc
04-19-2008, 11:05 AM
When did LJ run a 4.38? I thought his combine time was in the 4.5's

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2008, 11:07 AM
When did LJ run a 4.38? I thought his combine time was in the 4.5's

It was 4.38, I remember the announcers talking about it after one of Larry TDs before the line went to shit

Direckshun
04-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Dude, have we been watching the same games that's what makes LJ so dangerous behinds his power it's his breakaway speed

remember that 99 yard run?
I don't want to get into this, because I don't want to make the argument that LJ's anything less than elite.

But he busted through for that run for the same reason Steve Bono has a 75 yard run, the defense completely committed to a short distance run and there was nobody past 5 yards of the LOS, with LJ charging through with a full head of steam.

JBucc
04-19-2008, 11:13 AM
It was 4.38, I remember the announcers talking about it after one of Larry TDs before the line went to shitEh, I doubt it. I mean they might have said it, but they were either mistaken or wrong. If a guy as big as LJ ran a 4.38 he would have gone top 10 with his production his senior year.

SithCeNtZ
04-19-2008, 11:35 AM

I don't know if I agree with this. If anything, I think it shows just how much talent TG has and how hard it will be to replace him. Sure, we can win without an pro bowl calibur TE. Lots of teams do. But can you imagine the Chiefs teams of the past with just a blocking/occasionally catching TE? Who would have caught passes when we lined up with Kennison/Parker/Borichter/some other bum off the street who we decided should play WR. TG was essentially a #1 WR on our team that made it so all of our other WR's could get single coverage. Without him, our offense wouldn't have been nearly as good. The Giants example isn't quite the same. They have Plaxico/Toomer, who would easily be considered the best WR's on the Chiefs going back 10 years. They can afford to lose Shockey. We couldn't afford to lose Tony G. If you thought our offense was bad last year, take out TG and imagine what would have happened.

milkman
04-19-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't know if I agree with this. If anything, I think it shows just how much talent TG has and how hard it will be to replace him. Sure, we can win without an pro bowl calibur TE. Lots of teams do. But can you imagine the Chiefs teams of the past with just a blocking/occasionally catching TE? Who would have caught passes when we lined up with Kennison/Parker/Borichter/some other bum off the street who we decided should play WR. TG was essentially a #1 WR on our team that made it so all of our other WR's could get single coverage. Without him, our offense wouldn't have been nearly as good. The Giants example isn't quite the same. They have Plaxico/Toomer, who would easily be considered the best WR's on the Chiefs going back 10 years. They can afford to lose Shockey. We couldn't afford to lose Tony G. If you thought our offense was bad last year, take out TG and imagine what would have happened.

I understand that TG has been the Chiefs #1 receiver.

But that doesn't change the fact that TE is not a value position.

You don't build an offense around the TE.

And when you look at it, the Chiefs have been pretty close to a .500 team since he was drafted.

Chris Meck
04-19-2008, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't look TE. I wouldn't look CB (not in THIS defensive scheme). I wouldn't look RB (I like the Johnson/Smith combo). And I wouldn't look QB (I don't like drafting first round QB's.)

I would look OT, first and foremost. One of the projected RT studs should be there. IF, things go as they look like they might, you could potentially get a Dorsey/Ellis type at #5, an Otah type road grader at #17 for your absolute worst roster position (RT) and then a Sam Baker in round 2 for your LT. You can move McIntosh inside to G, and are free to look at CB, DE, WR for your two 3's and 4. Nice.

Look, Allen's an elite pass rusher, but to be truthful, he was always a bit of a liability against the run. He rarely kept containment, and nearly always overran any running play to his side. It was worth it, because he was such a disruptive force in the enemy backfield-and sometimes he'd get to the ball carrier before he got going. Overall, though, he was at best average against the run.

CupidStunt
04-19-2008, 01:32 PM
1. Chris Williams
2. Jeff Otah
3. Devin Thomas
4. Jerod Mayo
5. Top CB available, just not Talib

I assume Branden Albert will be gone by 14 and Harvey by 15.

Raiderh8ter77
04-19-2008, 02:28 PM
1-Branden Albert
2-Philip Merling
3-Mike Jenkins
4-Sam Baker
5-John David Booty

The Franchise
04-19-2008, 02:45 PM
1. Chris Williams
2. Mike Jenkins (I don't know if he'll be there or not)
3. Derrick Harvey
4. Rashard Mendenhall
5. Devin Thomas

The Franchise
04-19-2008, 02:45 PM
1-Branden Albert
2-Philip Merling
3-Mike Jenkins
4-Sam Baker
5-John David Booty

:spock: Booty in the 1st round?

jspchief
04-19-2008, 02:54 PM
1. Jared Allen

Rain Man
04-19-2008, 03:29 PM
1. Jared Allen

I agree. My choices from 2 through 5 would be Jared Allen, Jared Allen, Jared Allen, and Jared Allen.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-19-2008, 03:43 PM
1. Chris Williams
2. Merling
3. Albert
4. Mike Jenkins
5. Otah

Raiderh8ter77
04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
:spock: Booty in the 1st round?

kc's fifth round pick dumbass

eazyb81
04-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Chris Williams all the way, the guy is going to be a stud left tackle.

I wouldn't mind Brohm if we don't take Ryan at 5. I think either one would be a huge upgrade over brittle Brodie.

milkman
04-19-2008, 09:55 PM

Now that's funny.

This question is which players would be your top 5 candidates in the #17 spot in the draft, which you don't seem to understand.

Then you list 4 players that will all likely be selected in the first 2 rounds, and John David Booty.

And you have the audacity to call pestilence a dumbass?

That's like the last place finisher in the Special Olympics 100 meter dash calling Carl Lewis slow.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2008, 10:28 PM

Apparently, you didn't read or comprehend the thread starter's question.

Way to go, Brainiac.

Spicy McHaggis
04-20-2008, 11:00 AM
You know, I scouted Merling quite a bit as the Bengals mock GM. The more I saw this guy play, the more I liked him. He would be solid pick at 17.

KevB
04-20-2008, 10:43 PM
This assumes Jake Long isn't there at #5.

1) Chris Williams
2) Jeff Otah
3) Albert (probably gone)
4) DRC/McKelvin
5) Sweed/D. Jackson/Merling (no problem with any of these guys)

People might argue that CB isn't that important, but elite talent is elite talent. Sweed offers another big target who can make plays. Jackson gives you the speed on the outside and a premier return man.

SBK
04-20-2008, 11:22 PM
OT or trade down/Frankie

Raiderh8ter77
04-21-2008, 03:49 PM
1. philip merling
2. chris williams
3. aquib talib
4. branden albert
5. derrick harvey

Mecca
04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't like Merling either......he's a blah pass rusher.