PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Termites

04-19-2008, 08:43 AM
I had an infestation of the little ****ers in 2001 and had the entire house treated. there has been no hide nor hair of them until today, in one isolated area. so I still have the warranty (I think). only to find out that the guy who treated my house in 2001 sold his business and the new company won't take on his warranty.

My question is, do I have to get the whole ****ing foundation (inside and outside) treated again? or will a new guy come along and just spot treat it?

Brock
04-19-2008, 08:45 AM
You won't need to treat the whole thing again. And report those assholes to teh BBB. Not that it will do any good.

HonestChieffan
04-19-2008, 08:47 AM
i think it takes full treatment....clearly you have one...so if some guy says he can spot treat...where will he do that?

mikeyis4dcats.
normally I;d say you wouldn't need to treat it all again, but as it stands, you already have signs of reinfestation. And no warranty. If you can afford it, I'd have a a total retreat done so you can get a new warranty, and go with a national or well-known company so you can have some piece of mind they'll be around.

Bwana
Antifreeze

04-19-2008, 08:49 AM
You won't need to treat the whole thing again. And report those assholes to teh BBB. Not that it will do any good.

Thanks for the input. I'm not going to worry about that other guy right now. you live and learn.

Smed1065
04-19-2008, 08:51 AM
normally I;d say you wouldn't need to treat it all again, but as it stands, you already have signs of reinfestation. And no warranty. If you can afford it, I'd have a a total retreat done so you can get a new warranty, and go with a national or well-known company so you can have some piece of mind they'll be around.

If you want a warranty, it will have to be retreated as stated.
The annual inspection cost is not the fee for the inspection, it is the annual insurance renewal-FYI

04-19-2008, 08:55 AM

Terminix is a piece of shit company. they told me back then that they would set baits inside and outside the house for $1800. so I said, what about the termites already here now? he said that for ''a nominal fee'' Terminix would treat the foundation of the house. the guy I had did it for $900, and I got my money's worth. I asked for the label of the product and he used slightly over the rate recommended.

I dream of the days of chloradine. that shit had a 50 year residual.

Smed1065
04-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Terminix is a piece of shit company. they told me back then that they would set baits inside and outside the house for $1800. so I said, what about the termites already here now? he said that for ''a nominal fee'' Terminix would treat the foundation of the house. the guy I had did it for $900, and I got my money's worth. I asked for the label of the product and he used slightly over the rate recommended.

I dream of the days of chloradine. that shit had a 50 year residual.

Thats is why you need a warranty because of the regulations that effect what can be used anymore for the treatment process.

Termites also come out of the ground so even if treated, they still can show up at any time.

You do not stack firewood against the home I hope. That is one of the prime attractors for termites or even mulch around the home like in flower beds or landscaping.

04-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Thats is why you need a warranty because of the regulations that effect what can be used anymore for the treatment process.

Termites also come out of the ground so even if treated, they still can show up at any time.

You do not stack firewood against the home I hope. That is one of the prime attractors for termites or even mulch around the home like in flower beds or landscaping.

I have an old stump about 20ft from the house right by where they're coming in. that is probably causing it. I have electrical conduit going under ground by that stump. that's why it's still there.

I'll probably get the full juice again. I'll see what my options are.

cdcox
04-19-2008, 09:18 AM
I'd tell the new owner of the business that if he didn't want to honor the warranty that he should have just started a new company. When he bought the name and reputation of the old company, he also got all the old warranties.

Smed1065
04-19-2008, 09:20 AM
I have an old stump about 20ft from the house right by where they're coming in. that is probably causing it. I have electrical conduit going under ground by that stump. that's why it's still there.

I'll probably get the full juice again. I'll see what my options are.

It is costly but a home is a big investment so that is the best route, IMO.

You are right, stumps attract them as well especially if they are rotten.

Bugeater
04-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Move.

Skip Towne
04-19-2008, 09:38 AM
I recommend you burn your house down every few years.

stlchiefs
04-19-2008, 09:41 AM
1) If you have a warranty from the previous owner of the business look it over, see if there's anything about transferability, sale of the business, etc. If the warranty was offered by "Tom's Termites" and the new company is still "Tom's Termites" you also have another strong argument there.

2) Talk to the new owner and see what kind of deal he's willing to offer based on the circumstances. If he is uncooperative, THEN throw out the possibility of contacting the BBB. It does little to contact the BBB before using it as a bargaining chip.

I have nothing to offer on termites, just the above info.

pr_capone
04-19-2008, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=Dimension2112;4694582

I dream of the days of chloradine. that shit had a 50 year residual.[/QUOTE]

Amen.... the house we moved into was sprayed with that stuff.

Its nice knowing I don't have to worry about termites for the next 30+ years. :D

aturnis
04-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I had an infestation of the little ****ers in 2001 and had the entire house treated. there has been no hide nor hair of them until today, in one isolated area. so I still have the warranty (I think). only to find out that the guy who treated my house in 2001 sold his business and the new company won't take on his warranty.

My question is, do I have to get the whole ****ing foundation (inside and outside) treated again? or will a new guy come along and just spot treat it?

My girlfriend just bought a house that I resided and put new windows in for her. When we ripped off the old asbestos siding, there was termite damage underneath. Beings we had an inspection that turned up "No Active Termites", the property got treated under warranty.

Before I found that out, I went to the Devil's discount store(Wal-Mart) and looked through the pesticides. I found one that said it would kill Termites, but I really didn't think that it would. Got back to the house, killed them on contact.

Let me know if you think this is something you could treat yourself, or at least hope to, and I will head out to the shed and find out what I used.

aturnis
04-19-2008, 10:31 AM
The wonder of termites is...they cannot exist w/o communication back to the main hive in the ground. Why? I dunno, just cuz the G.O.D. said so. If the soil gets treated around the perimeter of the house, to the point where they cannot travel between the house and the hive, all the termites stuck in the house will die. The others, with no food source(your house) will move to the neighbors. Yay!

04-20-2008, 05:41 PM
The wonder of termites is...they cannot exist w/o communication back to the main hive in the ground. Why? I dunno, just cuz the G.O.D. said so. If the soil gets treated around the perimeter of the house, to the point where they cannot travel between the house and the hive, all the termites stuck in the house will die. The others, with no food source(your house) will move to the neighbors. Yay!

They need water to survive. and they have to get that outside. so when they pass through the toxic barrier that is there after you treat the house is when they are killed. they can live in your house for up to two weeks without water.

I did extensive research and pricing on this shit the last time I got it done. looks like I have to do it again. :shake:

04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
A great new product out there to kill termites.. FYI. this is what I'm getting.

http://www.termidorhome.com/AllAboutTermidor.asp

Valiant
04-21-2008, 05:57 PM

This I am dealing with now.. I wanted to buy the rubber wood chips that have a 12 year warranty only 6 bucks more a bag.. But nooo, lets buy the cheap shit that I have to clean up every three years that gets termites and kills my back..

Valiant
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM

You need to contact the BBB, If you don't who will?? If nothing is done at least you did your job of letting the proper people know..

Another thing you can do if you can get ahold of the old owner.. See if he still has copies of the contracts, go to each household and let them know the new owner is not going to honor the warranties.. Maybe if you get enough people bitching something will be done..

04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
You need to contact the BBB, If you don't who will?? If nothing is done at least you did your job of letting the proper people know..

Another thing you can do if you can get ahold of the old owner.. See if he still has copies of the contracts, go to each household and let them know the new owner is not going to honor the warranties.. Maybe if you get enough people bitching something will be done..

I've decided to just get it done again. it's gonna be another $1,000 rochambeau :crybaby: for a full treatment and warranty with a better odorless product. this guy lives right down the street from me and has been in business for 23 years. so he's reliable. you live and learn I guess.

06-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Has ANYONE EVER had success with the bait station method?

Bugeater
06-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Nope, only the burning down your house method has been proven to work. You having a termite problem Guru?

06-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Nope, only the burning down your house method has been proven to work. You having a termite problem Guru?Don't know yet. Went outside to water the plants in our new landscaping and found a large trail of ants/termites/something going from one of the evergreens to the house over the top of our cypress mulch. Suckers are fast too. They also had a old garbage smell to them.

Been doing google searches but nothing is really giving me any hard info to identify them with.

I did manage to trap one in a jar so hopefully, by morning, it will be dead and I can take a closer look at it. Didn't want to squash it so I would be able to identify it more easily.

Bowser
06-19-2009, 10:43 PM
I say we nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Bugeater
06-19-2009, 10:48 PM
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/boley011/architecture/flamethrower.jpg

cdcox
06-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Obviously Bugeater like to toy with those little buggers.

I go straight for the antifreeze.

06-20-2009, 12:09 AM
If only that were an option. heh

Smed1065
06-20-2009, 01:23 AM

If you want a warranty, yes.

There are reasons they are back. Wood or mulch against house usually.
Stumps in yard. Care is the main reason.

The most deceptive idea is the sprayings, treatment once a year cost $100, no that is the insurance in case they come back. Not they treatment.

Yo cant stop them so its insurance, If U pay for a treatment keep the "annual" spraying-LOL

Or it starts over.

1 of most 12 most understood ideas in America.

06-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Has ANYONE EVER had success with the bait station method?

That termidor shit is the bomb. the baits are only good as a prevention (I think). If you have an infestation you have to have your foundation treated.

06-21-2009, 01:19 AM
If you want a warranty, yes.

There are reasons they are back. Wood or mulch against house usually.
Stumps in yard. Care is the main reason.

The most deceptive idea is the sprayings, treatment once a year cost $100, no that is the insurance in case they come back. Not they treatment.

Yo cant stop them so its insurance, If U pay for a treatment keep the "annual" spraying-LOL

Or it starts over.

1 of most 12 most understood ideas in America.

Read the date on the thread header, n00b :D

06-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Don't know yet. Went outside to water the plants in our new landscaping and found a large trail of ants/termites/something going from one of the evergreens to the house over the top of our cypress mulch. Suckers are fast too. They also had a old garbage smell to them.

Been doing google searches but nothing is really giving me any hard info to identify them with.

I did manage to trap one in a jar so hopefully, by morning, it will be dead and I can take a closer look at it. Didn't want to squash it so I would be able to identify it more easily.

Termites are subterranean, you usually only see mud tubes or wings by lighted area when they swarm. those are prolly Carpenter ants. (I think) then again you live in pigsknucle, Kansas. so I don't know what kind of bugs you have out there. maybe ask Bugeater :)

Smed1065
06-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Read the date on the thread header, n00b :D

So they are extinct now?

Pioli Zombie
06-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Ask David Ogden Stiers. Apparently he knows a lot about eating a lot of wood.
Posted via Mobile Device