PDA

View Full Version : How about this:

Chris Meck
04-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing we're asking two #1's for Allen, Minny will offer a #1 and #3. We may even get a #1 and #2; but I just went with the low-ball trade.

#5 Glenn Dorsey (falls only because of concerns about his knees)
#17 Phillip Merling (well rounded DE-replaces JA)
#35 Sam Baker (THIS is a Herm Edwards type player. 4 year starter for one of the premier programs in the country. Great pass protector at LT)
#66 Barry Richardson Clemson RT (another Herm guy. 4 year starter, steady football player, big mauler.)
#74 Terrell Thomas, CB, USC (physical corner, good size, speed. Another football player.)
#104-Eric Young OG, TN. (still need bodies here, and Young projects to be a solid guard prospect.)

I think this would be a pretty damned good draft. All players are projected to go around where I've placed them. It's my belief that a football team must be built from the line of scrimmage out; and that you must be dominant on one side of the line to win consistently. With this in mind, I went ahead and dedicated the two #1's to the d-line, feeling that this area is closer to being championship caliber than the O-line (obviously). This should give us an excellent rotation at DT, and replace our DE with quality talent.

The two OT's I selected were based on experience against top flight competition. Both of these guys were multiple year starters against the best of the best. If we're drafting guys to start right away, these two guys are experienced enough to do it. Baker's an elite pass protector who has only fallen due to some workout warriors moving up; and Richardson is a 4 year starter, huge mauler type RT.

Terrell Thomas has all the skills and is a multi-year starter from USC. A big hitter, fast, experienced. Sounds like a perfect mod/cover 2 corner.

Eric Young is also an experienced player, good size and ability from a school that faced elite competition. Could project as a starter right away at RG.

I've noticed that Herm likes football players above physical specimens; he values the tape over the tape measure. All these guys fit. Herm said he'd like to find 5-6 starters in this draft-I think these 6 would be good candidates.

I know there are no WR's-but in my opinion, no QB can find a WR while laying on his back.

thoughts?

keg in kc
04-19-2008, 02:15 PM
The positions are okay, although I'm not sure I like the Sam Baker pick. There's something about him that I don't like, but I can't put a finger on it.

I also think we need a corner higher than 74 but there's only so many picks.

Which is why I'm holding out hope that we make the Allen trade and then move down from 17 into the 20s to pick up another 2nd or 3rd or a combination of picks. It's impossible to predict how that could happen though, a week ahead of time, but I think since we have the 5, we can afford to take a risk later in the first in the interest of getting as high a quantity of picks as possible.

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Dorsey, Williams, Baker is better IMO

Raiderh8ter77
04-19-2008, 02:23 PM
this is better

#5-Jake Long
#17-Philip Merling
#35-Chris Williams

Coogs
04-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Trading Allen tells me we are in total rebuild. And I am fine with that. In fact, I have been hoping for something like this out of the Chiefs for several years. I don't necessarily think we have to replace JA right away.

And even though this is just my opinion, I would go about it in another direction than you have outlined here Chris. Not that I don't like yours, I would just go in a different... yet somewhat the same direction.

I would start with a QB. Plain and simple. Matt Ryan would be my choice at #5 if he is there. If not, obviously this scenario would not be doable.

Then I am right with you on building the offensive line. 3 or four O-linemen fairly early in this draft. I know the defense has holes, but by trading Allen, it is obvious this is going to be a major overhaul and not a one year thing. I would draft an o-line and play them. I would not send out Ryan for the first 10 games or so. Either Hurard or Croyle. Either way, no big deal. Let Ryan learn in practice for the early part of the year why the young o-line gels, and send the franchise QB out there the last few games of the season to gain experience.

To get the O-line, I would start with the LT. I know some here hate Clady, but he is supposed to be the best pure pass blocking LT in this draft. I would trade up with the Bills from #17 to #11 to get him if he was still there. Maybe swap 2nd rounders and give them a third to pull that off. (That is roughly what the points say do do to get that deal done).

Those two spots fortified the rest of the draft could go in many directions, but definately another o-lineman with one of the picks in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2008, 02:38 PM
this is better

#5-Jake Long
#17-Philip Merling
#35-Chris Williams

Drafting a RT with your 1st round pick isn't too smart

The Franchise
04-19-2008, 02:53 PM
this is better

#5-Jake Long
#17-Philip Merling
#35-Chris Williams

Yeah because Chris Williams will fall to the 2nd. :rolleyes:

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Dorsey, Williams, Baker is better IMO

Williams and Baker are both LT's, neither fit the mold at RT.

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Baker is a good utility guy he can play LT, RT, and OG effectively

OnTheWarpath15
04-19-2008, 03:03 PM

Exactly.

Now if Cherilus fell to 35....

Dorsey, Williams, Cherilus.

Wow.

That gives me an idea.

Sam Hall
04-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Nothing against you guys, but the option of trading Allen and drafting a DE depresses me, unless it's Chris Long. Regardless, the defense won't stop anybody next season. I'd rather go after the positions we discussed before the Allen situation came along.

Raiderh8ter77
04-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Nothing against you guys, but the option of trading Allen and drafting a DE depresses me, unless it's Chris Long. Regardless, the defense won't stop anybody next season. I'd rather go after the positions we discussed before the Allen situation came along.

hes right i do think chris long will be there ..... that will be awesome, i do think the chiefs should trade up to st louis or atlanta..and why dont st louis take matt ryan?

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Baker is a good utility guy he can play LT, RT, and OG effectively

No Baker is what you want in a left tackle. His injuries and poor workouts have led to his slippage.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2008, 06:06 PM
The positions are okay, although I'm not sure I like the Sam Baker pick. There's something about him that I don't like, but I can't put a finger on it.

I also think we need a corner higher than 74 but there's only so many picks.

Which is why I'm holding out hope that we make the Allen trade and then move down from 17 into the 20s to pick up another 2nd or 3rd or a combination of picks. It's impossible to predict how that could happen though, a week ahead of time, but I think since we have the 5, we can afford to take a risk later in the first in the interest of getting as high a quantity of picks as possible.

Baker's maxed out. He can't get any bigger and while he had a fine college career, something tells me he's better suited at guard in the NFL. His body is just too compact, IMO.

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2008, 06:12 PM
No Baker is what you want in a left tackle. His injuries and poor workouts have led to his slippage.

I'm not saying, he has slow feet ( kickslide)by any means but like a few linemen in this draft he has versatility too play multiple positions and start. Which is why referred to him as a utility player.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm not saying, he has slow feet ( kickslide)by any means but like a few linemen in this draft he has versatility too play multiple positions and start. Which is why referred to him as a utility player.

Personally, I wouldn't choose a "utility" player with the 35th pick.

150th? Sure. Not the 35th.

milkman
04-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Trading Allen tells me we are in total rebuild.

It took this (possible) transaction to turn the light on and come to the conclusion that this team is in total rebuild?

You are usually a pretty smart cookie, and this is, by far, the dumbest thing I've ever seen you post.