PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Covitz: The Star’s projected draft

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2008, 10:20 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/football/story/583449.html

The Star’s projected draft

Here’s another peek at how we see the first round of the NFL draft unfolding. We’ll take one more shot at it next Saturday.

1MIAMI DOLPHINS

OT Jake Long, Michigan

If he doesn’t sign soon, Dolphins will take Vernon Gholston.

2 ST. LOUIS RAMS

DE Chris Long, Virginia

If the Dolphins take Gholston, the Rams grab Jake Long.

3 ATLANTA FALCONS

DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

New coach Mike Smith wants to start with a defense.

4 OAKLAND RAIDERS

DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio State

If Gholston is gone, Raiders take DT Sedrick Ellis.

5 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

OT Branden Albert, Virginia

How did Virginia lose four games last season?

6 NEW YORK JETS

RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

Jets find a playmaker in speedy Razorback

7 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (from S.F.)

CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy

McKelvin steps in for the departed Asante Samuel

8 BALTIMORE RAVENS

QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

Goodbye Steve McNair, hello Matt Ryan

9 CINCINNATI BENGALS

DT Sedrick Ellis, Southern Cal

He’s a steal at this spot.

10 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

LB Keith Rivers, Southern Cal

Rivers invigorates a slow, veteran linebacker corps.

11 BUFFALO BILLS

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tenn. St.

He is a better value than any wide receiver on board

12 DENVER BRONCOS

OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

It’s a coin flip between Clady and …

13 CAROLINA PANTHERS

OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

… Otah, who can help NFL’s 29th-ranked offense

14 CHICAGO BEARS

RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

Bears ranked 30th in rushing, last in yards per carry

15 DETROIT LIONS

OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

Detroit surrendered 54 sacks in 2007

16 ARIZONA CARDINALS

RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

He takes some of the heat off Edgerrin James

17 MINNESOTA VIKINGS

DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

Unless the Vikings acquire Jared Allen

18 HOUSTON TEXANS

CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

Injury to Dunta Robinson makes this a huge need

19 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

Eagles are shopping veteran Lito Sheppard

20 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

WR Devin Thomas, Michigan State

Best of a shallow pool of top-flight receivers

21 WASHINGTON

WR Limas Sweed, Texas

Big receiver fits club’s new West Coast offense

22 DALLAS COWBOYS (from Cleveland)

RB Felix Jones, Arkansas

Cowboys don’t want to wait until pick No. 28

23 PITTSBURGH STEELERS

OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

Steelers offensive line broke down in ’07

24 TENNESSEE TITANS

WR DeSean Jackson, California

Can make big plays in return game, too

25 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

Questions about attitude dropped him here

26 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

DE Phillip Merling, Clemson

Concern about a sports hernia dropped him here

27 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

CB Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech

Physical corner fits the Chargers’ profile

28 DALLAS COWBOYS

CB Antoine Cason, Arizona

Cowboys could trade pick to team looking to take QB

29 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (from Indy)

DE Calais Campbell, Miami

Provides a bookend to newly signed Justin Smith

30 GREEN BAY PACKERS

TE Dustin Keller, Purdue

It’s between him and Southern Cal TE Fred Davis

31 NEW YORK GIANTS

S Kenny Phillips, Miami

Brings needed youth to Giants secondary

04-19-2008, 10:25 PM
PRINTEM!!!

MadMax
04-19-2008, 10:25 PM
5 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

OT Branden Albert, Virginia

I have no idea but I think i'll go ahead and puke right now...:(

DeezNutz
04-19-2008, 10:32 PM
What team would take a ****ing guard with the #5 pick? If he wasn't good enough to play tackle in college, what's going to change now? This is a serious question.

eazyb81
04-19-2008, 10:36 PM
What team would take a ****ing guard with the #5 pick? If he wasn't good enough to play tackle in college, what's going to change now? This is a serious question.

That is a serious question and I haven't heard a legit answer yet.

If we draft a guard at #5 I will throw my tv out the window. Then I will have two broken televisions.

DeezNutz
04-19-2008, 10:43 PM
That is a serious question and I haven't heard a legit answer yet.

If we draft a guard at #5 I will throw my tv out the window. Then I will have two broken televisions.

That's what I'm saying. Drafting a guard at #5, to me, says we've given up. In this case, I'm advocating drafting a punter in the first round. Show the league that we truly don't give a ****. Do this and I'm buying a jersey, same day, no bs.

the Talking Can
04-19-2008, 10:56 PM
guard is arguably the least important position on the field...and the easiest to fill in the draft...

so we're going to pass on Ellis and Ryan and draft a ****ING GUARD WITH THE #5 PICK IN THE ****ING DRAFT

and you KNOW it is going to happen....

every night I dream of killing Carl...every ****ing night....

milkman
04-19-2008, 11:03 PM
I like Brandon Albert.

I think he has huge potential, and I was projecting him at tackle before any of the so called experts were, and I stil would not take him at 5.

alanm
04-19-2008, 11:04 PM
guard is arguably the least important position on the field...and the easiest to fill in the draft...

so we're going to pass on Ellis and Ryan and draft a ****ING GUARD WITH THE #5 PICK IN THE ****ING DRAFT

and you KNOW it is going to happen....

every night I dream of killing Carl...every ****ing night....
And not only a guard. But a guard drafted as a project to turn into a LT.
The logic at 1 Arrowhead is impecable. :spock:

DeezNutz
04-19-2008, 11:06 PM
If we pick up Minny's pick, Albert would make a lot of sense at 17. This would be ok.

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Herm and Kuh have been spot on for the 1st round.

NONE OF YOU CAN QUESTION IT.

Archie Bunker
04-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Words can't expess how pissed I would be with this pick with Ryan and Ellis on the board. Either would be a no brainer.

I will say this though if they stupidly feel like they have to reach for an o-lineman I'd rather it be Albert than Clady. The Chiefs aren't the only team that see him as potentially dominant tackle and even if the move to tackle flops he is still maybe the best guard prospect in a decade.

IMO its the best case in a worst case scenerio. :grr:

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-20-2008, 12:50 AM
This is a bigger clusterf*ck than the gunfight at the end of True Romance.

blueballs
04-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Carl can still trade the #5 for a head coach

J Diddy
04-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Carl can still trade the #5 for a head coach

oh jesus don't say that

we'll wind up with al saunders

Smed1065
04-20-2008, 12:53 AM
A guard?

FT!

ChiefsCountry
04-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Glad these boys suck at projected the draft, remember last year they were all over Aaron Ross and Joe Staley.

Smed1065
04-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Sorry but Albut @ 5 sucks for value. IMO.

Nothing changes after 20 years?

:cuss::cuss:

Mecca
04-20-2008, 02:11 AM
If the Chiefs take Branden Albert over Matt Ryan that is why the Chiefs are the Chiefs.

Archie Bunker
04-20-2008, 02:16 AM
Glad these boys suck at projected the draft, remember last year they were all over Aaron Ross and Joe Staley.

Good point. They only mock I'm going to put any stock in is Gosselin's final one. If has the Chiefs taking Albert, Clady, or Otah then I'll panic a little bit.

ChiefsCountry
04-20-2008, 02:18 AM
I like Albert alot, just not at #5. Now at 17 I would be all over him.

CupidStunt
04-20-2008, 04:34 AM
If the Chiefs take Branden Albert over Matt Ryan that is why the Chiefs are the Chiefs.

Yeah, and if Albert goes on to be a 10-time Pro Bowl LT and Matt Ryan is a 10-year mediocre starter, that is why "the Chiefs are the Chiefs." STFU

Infidel Goat
04-20-2008, 05:45 AM
FWIW, Virginia was a last second missed field goal by Wake Forest away from being a 5 loss team...

That being said, I wouldn't mind the Albert pick as long as we trade back a few spots and get another pick in the process...

DaWolf
04-20-2008, 09:08 AM
I think this is Carl's new strategy heading into the next decade. Since converting safeties to cornerbacks hasn't gotten us to the superbowl, he's going to try converting guards to tackles...

Mr. Laz
04-20-2008, 09:15 AM
worse case scenario

Rausch
04-20-2008, 09:46 AM

Finally something I agree with you on...

Pasta Little Brioni
04-20-2008, 09:50 AM
taken at 5 he'd be a left tackle not a guard...the chiefs are not the only team that think he can play tackle. that said number 5 overall is way too high for him.

04-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Finally something I agree with you on...

The end of the world is near.

phisherman
04-20-2008, 09:56 AM
this whole "shooting up the draft boards" thing with albert has me feeling a ryan sims level of deja vu.

Rausch
04-20-2008, 09:56 AM
taken at 5 he'd be a left tackle not a guard...the chiefs are not the only team that think he can play tackle. that said number 5 overall is way too high for him.

Exactly. This move only makes sense if we trade down. I'm not against the idea. In fact I think it's what we should do if we can't pull the Allen trade before the draft...

beach tribe
04-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Looks like the Star knows the Chiefs pretty well.

melbar
04-20-2008, 11:19 AM
The reason he didnt play LT in college is they have a LT who is projected for the 1st round next year. They were still going to switch them but he was injured before the beginning of last season and they didnt want to make the change last minute. Albert has great lateral movement, punch, attitude, gets to the second level, and understands blocking schemes. Some are saying he's the best OG prospect coming out of college they've seen. Could be the next Shields if he stayed at OG. Could be very solid LT if not great...
Again, that being said, not at 5.

FloridaMan88
04-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Maybe if the Chiefs hadn't been in a coma during the free agency period they wouldn't be in such a desperate situation in the draft.

Desperate teams in the draft are forced to do dumb things... it is pretty simple

ChiefsCountry
04-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Maybe if the Chiefs hadn't been in a coma during the free agency period they wouldn't be in such a desperate situation in the draft.

Desperate teams in the draft are forced to do dumb things... it is pretty simple

Your an idiot. You want to over pay for the crap on the free agent market. Brillant.

alanm
04-20-2008, 02:32 PM
It's a HUGE reach and a bad one at that. ESPECIALLY with the 5 pick. It would tell me Bobo the chimp or Carl dressed up as Bobo is throwing darts at a board.
The #5 should be a starter at opening day. Alberts won't be starting at LT on opening day. :shake:
And why in the f*ck would we want to take on a project with the 1st pick. :banghead:

kcxiv
04-20-2008, 02:34 PM
IT wouldnt bother me if he ends up being a good to great LT. If he flops though, oh boy.

alanm
04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm not saying that Alberts is a huge reach but I mean that using the # 5 pick on a project is a huge reach.

el borracho
04-20-2008, 02:39 PM
This pick would delay the draft for probably 3 hours while all of NY City rolled around laughing and commenting on how mismanaged the Chiefs are.

Reerun_KC
04-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Your an idiot. You want to over pay for the crap on the free agent market. Brillant.
Regardless CC, right now we have so many holes. There is no way that Carl or Herm can fix this team...

Neither are qualified.

Reerun_KC
04-20-2008, 02:42 PM
This pick would delay the draft for probably 3 hours while all of NY City rolled around laughing and commenting on how mismanaged the Chiefs are.
Would be worth seeing....

Clark is laughing all the way to the bank at the expense of the True fans....

kcxiv
04-20-2008, 02:43 PM

Eh, what does it matter if they pick someone whos a bit of a reach if they end up hitting on the pick? I dont think it matters at all.

el borracho
04-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Eh, what does it matter if they pick someone whos a bit of a reach if they end up hitting on the pick? I dont think it matters at all.

Go ahead and spend $20 on a Big Mac. I mean, as long as you like Big Macs and you were going to spend $20 on dinner, anyway, then it must be worth it. Right?

Mecca
04-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Taking Albert at 5 is typical of the Chiefs, taking a guy switching positions.....