PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs owner Hunt puts emphasis on draft to rebuild team

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Chiefs owner Hunt puts emphasis on draft to rebuild team (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/584477.html)

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

<!-- START /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> <script language="Javascript"> function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); } </script> <!-- photo or image available --> <!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp --> http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/04/20/22/268-Clark_Hunt_mugshot_04-21-2008_MU12H9PA.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/04/20/22/523-Clark_Hunt_mugshot_04-21-2008_MU12H9PA.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)
Clark Hunt
<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
<!-- Commenting out fact box for Jody Cox --> <!-- /mi/pubsys/story/asset_list, include_asset_type=>"factbox" -->
<!-- END /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> <table> </table> Even after free agency became a vehicle for player acquisition, Lamar Hunt never lost his enthusiasm for the college draft. He, more than anyone, eagerly anticipated the Chiefs’ annual rookie haul.His son Clark, now the Chiefs’ chairman, may not be as outwardly enthusiastic, but he does understand the draft’s importance. The Chiefs are placing an emphasis on the draft like no time in recent years, at least partly by Hunt’s direction.
That, Hunt said, is not a one-time thing because the Chiefs have the fifth pick in this weekend’s draft or 10 choices in the seven rounds, the most they’ve had in years.
This, with the intermittent exception, is how the Chiefs will do business from now on.
“We’re going to be very focused every year on the draft as the key tool that we build this team with,” Hunt said. “Certainly there will be an occasional year where we might sign a free agent who the public considers to be a marquee player. That’s how it will shake out. I don’t want to say we’re never going to sign a player that has name recognition, because that’s not true.
“But the focus will always be on the draft. We need to make sure we have the people and the process in place that allows us to be successful drafting every year. We’ve seen that if you go two or three years with poor drafts, that eventually will catch up to you. There’s nothing you can do in free agency to make up for that.”
Hunt, as his father would do, spent time the last few weeks getting briefed on the Chiefs’ draft strategy and sitting in on the occasional draft meeting.
“What I really want to know is how our scouting department and player personnel department are going about the process and their rationale for how they end up putting our draft together,” he said. “That’s something I really need to be familiar with on an annual basis to ultimately evaluate how they’re doing.
“It’s a very good educational process for me to hear their comments about certain players.”
Hunt, after last season, was most supportive of Herm Edwards, saying he believed Edwards was an ideal coach not only to help the Chiefs locate good, young players but also to help them develop.
Those, Hunt said, were major factors in the decision to hire Edwards two years ago. The Chiefs, at that time with one of the league’s oldest rosters, knew this was coming.
“This process started, to some degree really started, a couple of years ago when Herm came in,” Hunt said. “We’ve had two very good drafts. The first one of those draft classes is entering its third year this year, and that’s a very important time for those players in terms of their development.
“Our hopes are to build on that. We have 10 picks, and that should give us a chance to get some additional good, young players. Having those extra picks really helps us rebuild the team.”
The Chiefs purged a large portion of their roster since the end of last season. Ten players who either started or received significant playing time are gone, leaving the Chiefs with serious shortages on the offensive line, at wide receiver and at cornerback, among other positions.
They signed only three free agents, and only linebacker Demorrio Williams has a strong chance to be a starter. In that respect, the Chiefs are asking a lot of this year’s draft class — perhaps as much or more than they ever have.

Chieficus
04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, I'll give him this: it's either going to be a philosophy that develops a good team (assuming we can actually keep our good draft picks past their first contract, Carl!), or it's going to leave a lot of people banging their heads against the wall...

Let's just hope that we spend our 10 picks wisely...

RealSNR
04-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, Clark's heart is in the right place.

Too bad it involves the wrong people :shake:

Chieficus
04-20-2008, 11:21 PM

Too bad it involves the wrong people :shake:

I don't know... maybe just a reshuffling, and a few added pieces here and there: let Carl stay but solely as a money man; Herm can lead a team of scouts; bring Dicky V back to give the players hugs and bottles of wine (a moral boost); then all we'd have to do is hire a competent coach and a contract guy who doesn't ahve STFU and STFD in his vocabulary...

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2008, 11:23 PM

When you are living in the shadow of a NFL legend one wants to make their mark also

04-20-2008, 11:26 PM
To hell with that. I want Carl gone. heh

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2008, 11:40 PM
When you are living in the shadow of a NFL legend one wants to make their mark also

With all due respect to the Hunt family, I think the only people who know about Lamar Hunt and the Hunt family are Chiefs fans.

I highly doubt that the people filling the stands in Indy, Baltimore, New York or New England (et al) know who Lamar Hunt was (outside of the name of the trophy), let alone think he's a "legend".

ClevelandBronco
04-20-2008, 11:42 PM
With all due respect to the Hunt family, I think the only people who know about Lamar Hunt and the Hunt family are Chiefs fans.

I highly doubt that the people filling the stands in Indy, Baltimore, New York or New England (et al) know who Lamar Hunt was (outside of the name of the trophy), let alone think he's a "legend".

40+ fans of professional football know and appreciate his role.

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2008, 11:49 PM

Regardless, the statement is still true

blueballs
04-21-2008, 12:16 AM
I see a long stay in KC for Herm Edwards
but somewhere in the front office
off the sidelines is good IMO

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2008, 01:00 AM
About time, the free agent route didnt work - the best way to build a team is assemble the core through the draft. I dont know if Herm and Carl can do it, hopefully they can get some talent in place that the next regime takes to the next level.

J Diddy
04-21-2008, 01:06 AM

as usual you are wrong

Mojo Rising
04-21-2008, 01:15 AM

Wrong. All of my football knowledgeable friends up here know about Hunt. I have also met many who know about the Hunts family financial success and failures.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Wrong. All of my football knowledgeable friends up here know about Hunt. I have also met many who know about the Hunts family financial success and failures.

"Football knowledgeable" being the key. Go to a dinner party in SF and ask if anyone's heard of Lamar Hunt. Go to a bar in the Haight or down around the Pier and ask if anyone's heard of Lamar Hunt.

"Legendary" implies Legendary. Michael Jordan. Muhammad Ali. Sugar Ray Leonard. Dick Butkus. John Elway. Joe Montana.

as usual you are wrong

As usual, you're dumbf*ck masquerading as an informed fan.

The Rooneys? Sure. The Mara family? Absolutely.

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2008, 01:41 AM
" heard of Lamar Hunt.

"Legendary" implies Legendary. Michael Jordan. Muhammad Ali. Sugar Ray Leonard. Dick Butkus. John Elway. Joe Montana.

Legend implies impact on the game, and Mr. Lamar Hunt is definitely in that category.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Legend implies impact on the game, and Mr. Lamar Hunt is definitely in that category.

Again, with all due respect to the Hunt family, you're not a legend if no one knows who you are or what you've done.

For exampe, do you know (without looking) why Shea Stadium is named as such? Do you think ANYONE in this forum knows why?

It's a FAR more recognizable name than Lamar Hunt, but I'd bet that no one without looking (and with the exception of a few New Yorkers, if even then) know why it's named Shea Stadium.

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Again, with all due respect to the Hunt family, you're not a legend if no one knows who you are or what you've done.

For exampe, do you know (without looking) why Shea Stadium is named as such? Do you think ANYONE in this forum knows why?

It's a FAR more recognizable name than Lamar Hunt, but I'd bet that no one without looking (and with the exception of a few New Yorkers, if even then) know why it's named Shea Stadium.

It's a matter of opinion, You believe it's about notoriety but IMO it's about true impact on ones sport. Like the casual fan doesn't really know who Don Hudson was.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 02:13 AM
It's a matter of opinion, You believe it's about notoriety but IMO it's about true impact on ones sport. Like the casual fan doesn't really know who Don Hudson was.

Well, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Lamar Hunt was absolutely essential to the AFL 49 years ago. The team that wins the AFC trophy bears his name. He's very important to the NFL.

But Halas level? Mara? Rooney? Lombardi? I think not.

"Legendary" implies that everybody knows that person's name.

And while the Hunt name is important to Kansas City, its fans and the Chiefs, it's hardly legendary.

Again, no offense.

R&GHomer
04-21-2008, 08:36 AM
"Football knowledgeable" being the key. Go to a dinner party in SF and ask if anyone's heard of Lamar Hunt. Go to a bar in the Haight or down around the Pier and ask if anyone's heard of Lamar Hunt.

The Rooneys? Sure. The Mara family? Absolutely.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Lamar hunt is most certainly a legend in this sport and anyone that knows anything about football knows who lamar hunt is and what he's ment to this game. If they don't then they are just casual... let's just watch the game and only care about our own team types. Lamar was pivotal in making this game what it is today. Period!

penguinz
04-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Well, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Lamar Hunt was absolutely essential to the AFL 49 years ago. The team that wins the AFC trophy bears his name. He's very important to the NFL.

But Halas level? Mara? Rooney? Lombardi? I think not.

"Legendary" implies that everybody knows that person's name.

And while the Hunt name is important to Kansas City, its fans and the Chiefs, it's hardly legendary.

Again, no offense.I think you are wrong in this. Hunt is a legend within the NFL circles. What you keep referring to in Jordon, Montana, etc is someone who transcends their sport.

markk
04-21-2008, 08:52 AM

same reason the royals play at Kauffman stadium

Coogs
04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
“What I really want to know is how our scouting department and player personnel department are going about the process and their rationale for how they end up putting our draft together,” he said. “That’s something I really need to be familiar with on an annual basis to ultimately evaluate how they’re doing.

:clap::clap::clap:

King_Chief_Fan
04-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Well, I'll give him this: it's either going to be a philosophy that develops a good team (assuming we can actually keep our good draft picks past their first contract, Carl!), or it's going to leave a lot of people banging their heads against the wall...

Let's just hope that we spend our 10 picks wisely...

Hope is all we have at this time.

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2008, 11:22 AM

I know it - Bill Shea, lawyer from New York who was instrumental in getting the Mets as an expansion team.

OnTheWarpath15
04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
I know it - Bill Shea, lawyer from New York who was instrumental in getting the Mets as an expansion team.

Winner winner.

Chicken dinner.

:clap:

StcChief
04-21-2008, 11:32 AM

The Rooneys? Sure. The Mara family? Absolutely.who the F cares about CALI social circles.... what do they know about the whole evolution of the NFL.....

Just stick to arts/entertainment/wine Football is a violent sport.

Coach
04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
We went 4-12 last season. Ticket prices once again went up and our second best player is on the trading block. On year 19 of a five year plan we have won a total of three playoff games.

If Clakr is putting emphasis on the draft to rebuild the team, he f**king better do it with a new General Manager and a new Head Coach. Period.

xbarretx
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
40+ fans of professional football know and appreciate his role.

Cleveland, are you showing your age ;) j/k LMAO

penguinz
04-21-2008, 11:51 AM
We went 4-12 last season. Ticket prices once again went up and our second best player is on the trading block. On year 19 of a five year plan we have won a total of three playoff games.

If Clakr is putting emphasis on the draft to rebuild the team, he f**king better do it with a new General Manager and a new Head Coach. Period.Second Best?

Reerun_KC
04-21-2008, 11:53 AM

If Clakr is putting emphasis on the draft to rebuild the team, he f**king better do it with a new General Manager and a new Head Coach. Period.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

This says it all....

We are going no where fast with Carl and Herm... Time to move forward and start building a team that can compete on an NFL level...

Reerun_KC
04-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Second Best?
Actually he probably is our best player from a stistical stand point...

People keep thinking LJ is going to still dominate for years to come, Not going to happen, You dont run a RB into the ground like Herm does and expect him to last more than 3-4 years... History is not good to backs whom carry the ball 400+ times in a season.

OnTheWarpath15
04-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Second Best?

Behind Colquitt, of course.

OnTheWarpath15
04-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Actually he probably is our best player from a stistical stand point...

People keep thinking LJ is going to still dominate for years to come, Not going to happen, You dont run a RB into the ground like Herm does and expect him to last more than 3-4 years... History is not good to backs whom carry the ball 400+ times in a season.

I'm guessing he meant Gonzalez, not LJ.

Reerun_KC
04-21-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm guessing he meant Gonzalez, not LJ.
:doh!:

forgot about Colquitt....... By far the most important Offensive player we have...:doh!:

PHILLYSCREEN
we need to fix the O-line in the draft

el borracho
http://www.surfhome.de/tenniel/tweedle.gif

Coach
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Second Best?

Could flip flop either way, depending on who you're talking to. It could be Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez, etc.

ClevelandBronco
04-21-2008, 04:05 PM

Cleveland, are you showing your age ;) j/k LMAO

Yeah. I also know who Don Hutson is without having to look him up.

I can even spell his name correctly.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
same reason the royals play at Kauffman stadium

Ah, no.

Not even close.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 06:17 PM
who the F cares about CALI social circles.... what do they know about the whole evolution of the NFL.....

Just stick to arts/entertainment/wine Football is a violent sport.

Well, Mojo is from San Francisco, hence the idea of asking people if they've heard of the "legendary" Lamar Hunt.

Again, no disrespect to the Hunt family but I'd hardly call them legendary.

BigChiefFan
04-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, Mojo is from San Francisco, hence the idea of asking people if they've heard of the "legendary" Lamar Hunt.

Again, no disrespect to the Hunt family but I'd hardly call them legendary.
If people haven't heard of Lamar Hunt-then they really don't follow football very much-that's like saying people don't know who Al Davis is.
You should also keep it in context, that your talking about an owner of a team-they don't have as much name recognition, but to say lamar Hunt isn't a household name is laughable.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
If people haven't heard of Lamar Hunt-then they really don't follow football very much-that's like saying people don't know who Al Davis is.
You should also keep it in context, that your talking about an owner of a team-they don't have as much name recognition, but to say lamar Hunt isn't a household name is laughable.

What's laughable is that you think Lamar Hunt is a household name

Rasputin
04-21-2008, 07:03 PM
All I got to say is, "It's about damn time"

BigChiefFan
04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
What's laughable is that you think Lamar Hunt is a household nameSorry, but if you follow football you hear the name LAMAR HUNT TROPHY, EVERY YEAR-to say someone knows football and doesn't know Lamar Hunt is an contradiction in terms. Now, I'll grant you maybe some haven't heard of him, but I venture to say more have, than have not, if we're talking football fans.