PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: No contract agreement yet between Allen, Vikings

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/584481.html

No contract agreement yet between Allen, Vikings

No deal yet between Allen, Vikings
Defensive end Jared Allen left Minnesota on Sunday without agreeing on a contract with the Vikings.

The Chiefs and Vikings also had not agreed to terms of a trade that would send the discontented Allen to Minnesota in return for draft picks.

The trade terms appear to be the bigger impediment. An NFL source indicated that Allen and the Vikings were close enough to an agreement that one could likely be hammered out if the two teams agree on the draft-pick compensation.

Allen could make a visit this week to see the Buccaneers in Tampa.

Allen, who led the NFL in sacks last season with 15 1/2 , has wanted out of Kansas City since negotiations for a long-term contract broke down last year.

The Chiefs made Allen their franchise player this year and are obligated to offer him a one-year, $8.9 million contract.

He is free to sign a contract offer sheet with the Vikings, Bucs or any other team. The Chiefs would have the right to match.

If they decline, they would receive two first-round draft picks from Allen’s new team. Vikings coach Brad Childress told reporters in Minnesota last week the Vikings would not trade two first-round picks for Allen.

ClevelandBronco
04-20-2008, 11:29 PM
I know that any development in this story is interesting news for Chiefs fans (and by extension for any other fans of the AFC West).

One quick question, if I may: In light of the fact that Allen's 15-1/2 sacks took the Chiefs absolutely nowhere except to Standingovationville, just what do the Chiefs' FO personnel think they are going to be offered?

Two firsts is entirely out of the question, IMO.

They're more likely to retain a Jared Allen who cashes his $8.9 and doesn't give much of a damn. (Again, obviously, IMO.)

kcchiefsus
04-20-2008, 11:43 PM
I know that any development in this story is interesting news for Chiefs fans (and by extension for any other fans of the AFC West).

One quick question, if I may: In light of the fact that Allen's 15-1/2 sacks took the Chiefs absolutely nowhere except to Standingovationville, just what do the Chiefs' FO personnel think they are going to be offered?

They're more likely to retain a Jared Allen who cashes his $8.9 and doesn't give much of a damn. (Again, obviously, IMO.)

So that's Allen's fault that we went nowhere? That's the stupidest crap I have ever heard.

ClevelandBronco
04-20-2008, 11:47 PM
So that's Allen's fault that we went nowhere? That's the stupidest crap I have ever heard.

Somewhere I missed your point about why he's worth two first round choices.

J Diddy
04-20-2008, 11:52 PM

um he didn't philosophically wax on who's fault it is

I don't think he'll be here

If he is I fault carl, cause next year or the year after he's gone with nothing to show for it and I sincerely doubt he has another year like this without the motivation of a payday

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2008, 11:53 PM

Defensive game changers are few in the NFL especially one of the caliber of Allen .

ClevelandBronco
04-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Defensive game changers are few in the NFL especially one of the caliber of Allen .

Which games do you think he changed?

Would the Chiefs have won fewer games without him?

BigRock
04-20-2008, 11:56 PM

The official position thus far seems to be that the Vikes are offering a 1st and a high 3rd and the Chiefs want a 1st and 2nd, or perhaps a 1st and 3rd plus something in 2009.

The Vikings FO has said 2 firsts is too much to pay, but ProFootballTalk is insisting there's stories that the Vikes will try to sign Allen to an offer sheet after the draft, thus giving the Chiefs their 1st rounders in 2009 and 2010. Which would be fine with me.

Basically, the Vikings have to come up with an offer to make trading Allen worth it. If they don't, they could still sign him to an offer sheet, but I find that unlikely for multiple reasons.

As far as Allen staying here and not caring, this is all my own speculation, but I think it's interesting that he left without a deal after 2 days of he and his agent getting the full court press from the Vikes. Every indication out of Minnesota was that they were going to spend spend spend and not let him get away without an agreement, and it didn't come true.

If Jared thought Carl was lowballing him, maybe he sees other teams aren't as willing to pony up the dough for a "young man at risk" as he thought they'd be. Maybe it puts a different spin on negotiations with KC from here on out. Maybe ol' Jared has a big slice of humble pie on his plate.

Most likely, though, he's got a tall glass of beer in his hand.

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Which games did he change?

Look at the scores of the ballgames when he was out, and view the game output after he came back. KC lost , due to the F*CKTARDS running the offense which resulted in the worst season outing in KC Chiefs history.

ClevelandBronco
04-21-2008, 12:00 AM
The official position thus far seems to be that the Vikes are offering a 1st and a high 3rd and the Chiefs want a 1st and 2nd, or perhaps a 1st and 3rd plus something in 2009.

The Vikings FO has said 2 firsts is too much to pay, but ProFootballTalk is insisting there's stories that the Vikes will try to sign Allen to an offer sheet after the draft, thus giving the Chiefs their 1st rounders in 2009 and 2010. Which would be fine with me.

Basically, the Vikings have to come up with an offer to make trading Allen worth it. If they don't, they could still sign him to an offer sheet, but I find that unlikely for multiple reasons.

As far as Allen staying here and not caring, this is all my own speculation, but I think it's interesting that he left without a deal after 2 days of he and his agent getting the full court press from the Vikes. Every indication out of Minnesota was that they were going to spend spend spend and not let him get away without an agreement, and it didn't come true.

If Jared thought Carl was lowballing him, maybe he sees other teams aren't as willing to pony up the dough for a "young man at risk" as he thought they'd be. Maybe it puts a different spin on negotiations with KC from here on out. Maybe ol' Jared has a big slice of humble pie on his plate.

Most likely, though, he's got a tall glass of beer in his hand.

That's a really good answer all the way through.

I especially agree with this part:

Maybe ol' Jared has a big slice of humble pie on his plate.

Jared isn't worth what he thinks he's worth. That's the bottom line, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 12:01 AM

QFT.

ClevelandBronco
04-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Look at the scores of the ballgames when he was out, and view the game output after he came back. KC lost , due to the F*CKTARDS running the offense which resulted in the worst season outing in KC Chiefs history.

Losing by less rather than more is "game changing?"

Okay.

Direckshun
04-21-2008, 12:02 AM

Look, he couldn't do anything about the offense.

Hell he even caught a couple touchdowns for them and that couldn't help.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 12:03 AM

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Do you REALLY believe that with someone else calling the plays that the Chiefs would have had a better record in 2007? Seriously? With the level of "talent" at each position?

I think Bill Walsh in his prime would have been hard pressed to get 2 more wins out of this team.

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Losing by less rather than more is "game changing?"

Okay.

when one holds a team then less than two TDs a game, It's pretty obvious where the issues are.

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Do you REALLY believe that with someone else calling the plays that the Chiefs would have had a better record in 2007? Seriously? With the level of "talent" at each position?

the remark was the result of both coaching and talent.

ClevelandBronco
04-21-2008, 12:05 AM
when one holds a team then less than two TDs a game, It's pretty obvious where the issues are.

Let me guess.

Field goals.

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Let me guess.

Field goals.

The engine of the offense ( OL) and the braintrust

ClevelandBronco
04-21-2008, 12:13 AM
The engine of the offense ( OL) and the braintrust

Yeah, sure. But I'm still trying to figure out the "game changer" thing with Jared.

Name me a game.

blueballs
04-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Teicher earned his money on this one

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah, sure. But I'm still trying to figure out the "game changer" thing with Jared.

Name me a game.

everygame he was in last season game he was suspended four games, and averaged 1.3 sacks per game excluding incessant QB pressures too.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jaredallen/gamelogs?id=ALL454745

check it for yourself but he was a dominate force against SD and the Vikings

BigRock
04-21-2008, 12:22 AM

Name me a game.
All-time, the best example is probably 'Skins @ KC back in 2005. Probably Allen's best overall game and there's no way we'd have won without him eating Mark Brunell's lunch all day long.

In this past season, the Bengals game. They struck quick and then Allen started abusing Levi Jones so badly that they benched him. From then on, the Bengals called plays like they were more worried about protecting Carson Palmer than scoring points. It would have been a blow out had they not scored some garbage points at the end to make it look good.

ClevelandBronco
04-21-2008, 12:27 AM
All-time, the best example is probably 'Skins @ KC back in 2005. Probably Allen's best overall game and there's no way we'd have won without him eating Mark Brunell's lunch all day long.

In this past season, the Bengals game. They struck quick and then Allen started abusing Levi Jones so badly that they benched him. From then on, the Bengals called plays like they were more worried about protecting Carson Palmer than scoring points. It would have been a blow out had they not scored some garbage points at the end to make it look good.

Great citations, BigRock, but that speaks to the problem. There was a game in 2005 and another in 2007. That isn't enough to rate two first round picks.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Great citations, BigRock, but that speaks to the problem. There was a game in 2005 and another in 2007. That isn't enough to rate two first round picks.

Shoooosh.

Don't tell anyone. Especially anyone from Minnesota named Turd Ferguson.

Or Zygi Wulf

ClevelandBronco
04-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Shoooosh.

Or Zygi Wulf

I promise. I'll shut the hell up now.

Tonight.

Maybe.

J Diddy
04-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Shoooosh.

Or Zygi Wulf

what he said

BigRock
04-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Well, I'm just giving extreme examples. Those are two of the best games he's ever played.

kcchiefsus
04-21-2008, 02:15 AM

I never said he was. But to say his value is lessened by our record is ridiculous. That might be the case for a quarterback but a single defensive end cannot overcome a horrible offensive line and offense in general. Our record should have no bearing on his value.

kcchiefsus
04-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Well, I'm just giving extreme examples. Those are two of the best games he's ever played.

Exactly. For another example, take Marcus McNeill. I believe he has been a pro bowler these last two years (didn't really deserve it this year though) but Jared has abused him just about every time we played the Chargers.

And like somebody mentioned, Jared caught two freaking touchdowns. That probably makes him our 3rd leading receiver as far as touchdowns (behind Gonzalez and Bowe).

B_Ambuehl
04-21-2008, 02:31 AM
He's also pretty solid against the run for a pass rusher and he's also probably the best in the NFL at batting down balls at the line of scrimmage. In '06 he only had 8 sacks or so but actually led the league in QB pressures. It's unlikely you'd find a replacement with even 2 first rounders. When he's rushing the passer off that Minnesota field turf this trade is probably gonna look bad for the chiefs. That is, unless he gets injured. That's a problem with the draft and draft picks...the element of the unknown sounds very appealing. A player you know nothing about seems more appealing than a player you know due to the hype of the draft.

There are 64 starting defensive ends in the NFL. Likely well over half of those were first rounders. Yet there is one Jared Allen and maybe 3 or 4 other ends at that level. The chances of finding another Allen even with 2 first rounders is remote....especially considering they will likely be late first round picks. It might be a bit different if the Chiefs had guys in reserve who could rush the quarterback, like the Giants...but the Chiefs basically have nobody else.

Carl has done nothing but make stupid decisions as far as letting people go on this defensive football team the last 3 or 4 years. They would've made the playoffs in '05 had the not let Scott Fujita walk away. Replacing Kawika Mitchell with Nap Harris was a mistake. It's now looking like letting Jimmie Wilkerson get away is gonna be a mistake.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 03:09 AM
He's also pretty solid against the run for a pass rusher and he's also probably the best in the NFL at batting down balls at the line of scrimmage. In '06 he only had 8 sacks or so but actually led the league in QB pressures. It's unlikely you'd find a replacement with even 2 first rounders. When he's rushing the passer off that Minnesota field turf this trade is probably gonna look bad for the chiefs. That is, unless he gets injured. That's a problem with the draft and draft picks...the element of the unknown sounds very appealing. A player you know nothing about seems more appealing than a player you know due to the hype of the draft.

There are 64 starting defensive ends in the NFL. Likely well over half of those were first rounders. Yet there is one Jared Allen and maybe 3 or 4 other ends at that level. The chances of finding another Allen even with 2 first rounders is remote....especially considering they will likely be late first round picks. It might be a bit different if the Chiefs had guys in reserve who could rush the quarterback, like the Giants...but the Chiefs basically have nobody else.

Carl has done nothing but make stupid decisions as far as letting people go on this defensive football team the last 3 or 4 years. They would've made the playoffs in '05 had the not let Scott Fujita walk away. Replacing Kawika Mitchell with Nap Harris was a mistake. It's now looking like letting Jimmie Wilkerson get away is gonna be a mistake.

JFC. This is absolutely amazing. Where the f*ck do I start?? :drool:

First off, Jared Allen disappears against the run. He gets manhandled. The run defense has been awful for a decade. Jared Allen hasn't helped.

Guessing about "who could replace him" is just as futile as saying "he might get injured" or "he's irreplaceable". Nonsense. He's made ONE Pro-Bowl on an awful defense. Granted, he "sacked" a lot of QB's last year, none of which really helped the Chiefs to win a game. It's not like he took over a game and led the Chiefs to victory. He just played well. Lest we forget Eric Hicks in 2000?

Now, on to the good stuff!

"There are 64 starting defensive ends in the NFL. Likely well over half of those were first rounders."

Really? Really?

Holy shit. I have to say it again.

Really?

32 defensive ends starting in the NFL in 2008 are from the first round??? How the F*ck is that even possible? From a shear numbers standpoint, that would mean that 16 defensive ends over the past 4 NFL Drafts would have be chosen in the first round!!! And every single one of them would have to be contributors or starters! Uncanny!

That's 50% of every first round player. Holy f*cking Cameltoe! But fortunately, the fun doesn't end there:

They (the Chiefs) would've made the playoffs in '05 had the not let Scott Fujita walk away.

Walk away? He was TRADED. One more time. TRADED. Traded after the 2005 season. Please explain how the Chiefs "would have made the playoffs" (though he was on the 2005 roster) if they hadn't traded Fujita (who by the way was released by Dallas, only to join New Orleans and their awful defense).

And finally, Jimmy Wilkerson was a 6th round draft choice who had 5 years to prove he was worth a freakin' dime. He couldn't so he was let go.

Pure. Comedy. Gold.

Posts like these are why I LOVE this forum!

the Talking Can
04-21-2008, 05:36 AM

First off, Jared Allen disappears against the run. He gets manhandled.

profoundly ignorant

Brianfo
04-21-2008, 07:24 AM

First off, Jared Allen disappears against the run. He gets manhandled. The run defense has been awful for a decade. Jared Allen hasn't helped.

Guessing about "who could replace him" is just as futile as saying "he might get injured" or "he's irreplaceable". Nonsense. He's made ONE Pro-Bowl on an awful defense. Granted, he "sacked" a lot of QB's last year, none of which really helped the Chiefs to win a game. It's not like he took over a game and led the Chiefs to victory. He just played well. Lest we forget Eric Hicks in 2000?

"There are 64 starting defensive ends in the NFL. Likely well over half of those were first rounders."

Really? Really?

Really?

32 defensive ends starting in the NFL in 2008 are from the first round??? How the F*ck is that even possible? From a shear numbers standpoint, that would mean that 16 defensive ends over the past 4 NFL Drafts would have be chosen in the first round!!! And every single one of them would have to be contributors or starters! Uncanny!

That's 50% of every first round player. Holy f*cking Cameltoe! But fortunately, the fun doesn't end there:

They (the Chiefs) would've made the playoffs in '05 had the not let Scott Fujita walk away.

Walk away? He was TRADED. One more time. TRADED. Traded after the 2005 season. Please explain how the Chiefs "would have made the playoffs" (though he was on the 2005 roster) if they hadn't traded Fujita (who by the way was released by Dallas, only to join New Orleans and their awful defense).

And finally, Jimmy Wilkerson was a 6th round draft choice who had 5 years to prove he was worth a freakin' dime. He couldn't so he was let go.

Pure. Comedy. Gold.

Fantastic post. I agree with you 100%. We just need to have faith in the powers that be, that they will make good draft picks. That is how you build a super bowl team.

eazyb81
04-21-2008, 07:44 AM

FYI, Football Prospectus had an article awhile ago that showed JA was actually one of the best DEs in the league against the run.

Brock
04-21-2008, 07:51 AM
I have to agree, he's not bad against the run.

Extra Point
04-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Allen, take the money and stop the run. You're stuck in KC. Hope your bar stays open.

the Talking Can
04-21-2008, 08:16 AM
All pass rushing DE's are liabilities against the run, in the sense that they get caught crashing or speed up field leaving gaps....watch any game on any Sunday and you'll see it happens to ALL OF THEM...

we just assume it only happens to KC players because we're self-loathing fans...

Allen is a better run defender than most, end of story.

Now, Hali got abused last year. And Dwight Freeney? Have you ever watched him? He's so bad against the run that you laugh out loud.

Allen is waaaaay better than Freeney against the run.

You don't have to like Allen, but let's stop lying about him.

markk
04-21-2008, 08:19 AM
he is not terrible against the run, but he is also not as good as the Allen-Is-God crowd think

the Talking Can
04-21-2008, 08:23 AM
he is not terrible against the run, but he is also not as good as the Allen-Is-God crowd think

hi mecca

Gonzo
04-21-2008, 08:29 AM
45.........45 JA threads.

(just keeping count)

Frazod
04-21-2008, 08:36 AM
45.........45 JA threads.

(just keeping count)

At least it's football related. There are probably 450 gayhawk basketball threads.

And I have every damned one of them on ignore. :)

Gonzo
04-21-2008, 08:38 AM
At least it's football related. There are probably 450 gayhawk basketball threads.

And I have every damned one of them on ignore. :)

That's no $hit.

If the search mode worked I would look it up, but I think that there are more JA threads than Ty Law threads. :shake:

Ebolapox
04-21-2008, 08:49 AM

Name me a game.

the redskins game a few years ago. a few sacks, a few forced fumbles, and a defensive TD IIRC.

eazyb81
04-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Here's the latest from PFT. I'm just posting it here because we don't need any new threads unless it's real news:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/21/vikes-allen-close-to-a-deal/

VIKES, ALLEN CLOSE TO A DEAL (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/21/vikes-allen-close-to-a-deal/)

Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2008, 7:00 a.m.
Although the bigger issue is whether the Minnesota Vikings (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/21/vikes-allen-close-to-a-deal/#) and the Kansas City Chiefs can work out a deal for a trade of defensive end Jared Allen’s rights from the Chiefs to the Vikings, the Kansas City Star reports that the Vikes and Allen are close to an agreement (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/584481.html) as to the long-term deal that would be signed by the player if/when he’s wearing purple.
And, as we heard on Sunday, the Vikings are likely to sign Allen to an offer sheet after the draft, if the Chiefs (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/21/vikes-allen-close-to-a-deal/#) and the Vikings can’t work out the terms of a trade.
While such an approach would risk that the Chiefs will trade Allen elsewhere (such as Tampa), the reality is that, if Allen has decided that he wants to play for the Vikings, he can essentially block a trade to another team by refusing to sign a long-term contract there. Absent a multi-year deal, the team getting Allen would be getting him only for one season.
Per many published reports, the Vikings are willing to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick, but the Chiefs want a first-round pick and a second-round pick (http://www.twincities.com/ci_8995795?source=most_viewed).
Allen ended his visit to Minnesota on Sunday. Per league rule, such visits may last only two days.

ohiochiefs@browns
04-21-2008, 09:02 AM

They're more likely to retain a Jared Allen who cashes his $8.9 and doesn't give much of a damn. (Again, obviously, IMO.)its not exactly what he did for us last year ,its about what he can do for a team that is possibly a defensive player away from going to the next level.the chiefs problem was the offense.Allen had nothing to do with that problem.if we had any resemblance of a offense you may have seen what them 15 sacks was worth.

DaKCMan AP
04-21-2008, 09:09 AM

:stupid:

The top 10 DE's in sack totals from last year:

Jared Allen - 4th round (#126)
Patrick Kerney - 1st round (#30)
Mario Williams - 1st round (#1)
Osi Umenyiora - 2nd round (#56)
Trent Cole - 5th round (#146)
Elvis Dumervil - 4th round (#126)
Aaron Kampman - 5th round (#156)
Kyle Vanden Bosch - 2nd round (#34)
Jason Taylor - 3rd round (#73)
Andre Carter - 1st round (#7)

KCUnited
04-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Its the rule surrounding the franchise tag that determine that JA is worth 2 number 1 picks, not the Chiefs.

"A franchise player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at his position in the previous season, or a 20 percent salary increase, whichever is greater. This type of franchise player may negotiate with other clubs. His original club has seven days to match the offer and retain the player, or receive two first-round draft choices as compensation if the original club elects not to match."

http://football.calsci.com/FreeAgency.html

This is why he left Minnesota without an official offer. I don't think JA is worth 2 number 1's, but the rules that apply do.

Anyong Bluth
04-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I think it'd be a mistake to not take the Vikings 1st rounder this year- even for 2 1st in '09 & '10. First, that devalues the pick, and 2nd you're going to expect them to pick later in the 1st the next 2 years, more than likely.

Do I think he's worth 2 1sts? Yes, he led the league in sacks and only played 14 games. He's still young, is pretty good stopping the run, and IMO doesn't take plays off- even contributing on offense. So, now we need to replace him, and going to have to spend more money to sign another 2 1st rounders... We are well under the cap, and what player are you going to get that will be an improvement over him- esp. since he plays such a pivotal position.

If the goal is the field the best 11 players possible in the 3 phases of the game- how does giving up a top notch DE with plenty of years left in him for multiple picks of unproven players. Sure, if the Chiefs end up picking 2 all pro guys with those picks thats great, but Chiefs prior draft picks don't dictate that will be likely.

JohnnyV13
04-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Really? Really?

Really?

Pure. Comedy. Gold.

Er, Dane, Fujita WAS traded after the 2004 season. Fujita played 2005 in Dallas. (Not that I'm sure keeping Fujita would have led to a playoff berth).

Second, in 2006, Jared Allen was 2nd in the NFL in tackles behind the line of scrimmage ( a stat that doesnt include sacks). ANd, as another poster mentioned, Football prospectus argued he was one of the best DE's at stopping the run. How exactly does this qualify as "manhandled"?

blueballs
04-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Eagles | Team interested in Allen?
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:33:01 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Philadelphia Eagles are a dark horse team that could jump in the mix for the services of Kansas City Chiefs DL Jared Allen. The team could potentially include CB Lito Sheppard and a package of draft picks as the team has four choices between rounds two and four in the NFL Draft, as well as 11 picks overall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Franchise
04-21-2008, 11:43 AM
The Vikings' contract proposal to Chiefs franchise player Jared Allen is believed to be worth $50-60 million over six seasons.

Roughly $25 million would be guaranteed. The K.C. Star reported late Sunday that the sides were close to an agreement, but this offer seems low. Dwight Freeney got $72 million over six years with $30 million guaranteed. Allen is more of an off-field risk, but has much better size and is younger.

www.rotoworld.com

The Franchise
04-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Eagles | Team interested in Allen?
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:33:01 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Philadelphia Eagles are a dark horse team that could jump in the mix for the services of Kansas City Chiefs DL Jared Allen. The team could potentially include CB Lito Sheppard and a package of draft picks as the team has four choices between rounds two and four in the NFL Draft, as well as 11 picks overall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It better be their 1st, 3rd and Lito Sheppard.

Brock
04-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Ugh, not that Lito Sheppard crap again.

KCUnited
04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
The Vikings' contract proposal to Chiefs franchise player Jared Allen is believed to be worth $50-60 million over six seasons.

Roughly $25 million would be guaranteed. The K.C. Star reported late Sunday that the sides were close to an agreement, but this offer seems low. Dwight Freeney got $72 million over six years with $30 million guaranteed. Allen is more of an off-field risk, but has much better size and is younger.

www.rotoworld.com

The only way the Chiefs don't match this is if Minny waits until after the draft to make the offer. KC won't turn down 2 1st's and Minny gets Allen at a lower price.

TEX
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM

And that's fine by me. Regarding the 2 # 1's - that might indeed be entirely out of the question, but the rules for losing a Franchised player are pretty clear. If the Vikings want to play - they must play by the rules. As a Cheating Donx fan, you obviously know nothing about that. :D

ClevelandBronco
04-21-2008, 03:22 PM
And that's fine by me. Regarding the 2 # 1's - that might indeed be entirely out of the question, but the rules for losing a Franchised player are pretty clear. If the Vikings want to play - they must play by the rules. As a Cheating Donx fan, you obviously know nothing about that. :D

I understand your point, but the rule you cite has no bearing on a trade.