PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Adam Schefter and Charlie Casserly of the NFL Network is talking Jared Allen

Mr. Flopnuts
04-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Yep. Another Allen thread. Deal with it. It's the offseason and we can actually talk football. Here's what's being reported.

Schefter is saying Minnesota is offering their 1st and 3rd, KC wants 1st and 2nd. Nothing new.

Casserly says that KC either is worried about Jared getting suspended again, or don't want to pay him AND the 5th pick in the draft. Schefter says he thinks the latter is the answer. Thinks the deal will get done by the weekend.

I understand the DUI deal, but if they're just too cheap to pay him and the draft pick, then that's ****ed.

royr17
04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
the deal will be done by friday or the day of the draft.

The Franchise
04-21-2008, 05:27 PM
What are they going to do when Derrick Johnson's contract is up next year.....and we have a top 5 pick again?

royr17
04-21-2008, 05:29 PM
DJ will resign with KC.

OnTheWarpath15
04-21-2008, 05:31 PM
What are they going to do when Derrick Johnson's contract is up next year.....and we have a top 5 pick again?

DJ won't be looking for a Ray Lewis or Adalius Thomas-like contract.

Nor is he one drink away from a 1 year suspension.

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
It' neither, the issue is Allen despises Carl. So it will be impossible to negotiate

beach tribe
04-21-2008, 05:38 PM
They are not offering him a contract. Plain, and simple.

You will hate a man all the way up until he hands you a 25 million dollar check.

BigChiefFan
04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
KC Cheaps-that's a disgrace to football-sell the team already.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-21-2008, 06:04 PM
DJ won't be looking for a Ray Lewis or Adalius Thomas-like contract.

Nor is he one drink away from a 1 year suspension.

He comes out and has a pro bowl calliber year, he's going to be looking for some scratch. If we trade Jared I'd like to see us get DJ resigned THIS offseason.

markk
04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
this isn't personal, it's about what we can get in exchange for him. whichever side of the scale ends up down is what you take.

beach tribe
04-21-2008, 06:11 PM
He comes out and has a pro bowl calliber year, he's going to be looking for some scratch. If we trade Jared I'd like to see us get DJ resigned THIS offseason.

This would be a great time to offer him a little more than HIS market value, and lock him up.

You, sir, are wise.

OnTheWarpath15
04-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Can't argue that.

I'm just making the point that he's not going to be looking to be the highest paid defensive player in the league as Allen is.

Mr. Laz
04-21-2008, 06:21 PM
don't want to pay him AND the 5th pick in the draft.y

cheap ass fuggers

BigChiefFan
04-21-2008, 06:23 PM
y

cheap ass fuggers
They are a disgrace to football-I wish they would just sell the team to somebody who's committed to winning it all.

kstater
04-21-2008, 06:28 PM
y

cheap ass fuggers

That's pure speculation. I honestly believe that they don't want to take the risk of the signing bonus blowing up with a suspension, while at the same time getting several high picks. I think it has nothing to do with not wanting to pay #5 and JA.
To be honest, I don't think Carl(or Clark if it's his idea) is getting credit for seeing the opportunity to trade JA at his peak value while being the risk that he is(how you rank his risk is your opinion).

OnTheWarpath15
04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
That's pure speculation. I honestly believe that they don't want to take the risk of the signing bonus blowing up with a suspension, while at the same time getting several high picks. I think it has nothing to do with not wanting to pay #5 and JA.
To be honest, I don't think Carl(or Clark if it's his idea) is getting credit for seeing the opportunity to trade JA at his peak value while being the risk that he is(how you rank his risk is your opinion).

Great post, and I couldn't agree more.

There are plenty of opportunities to bash Peterson, and deservedly so.

But this situation isn't one of them.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Great post, and I couldn't agree more.

There are plenty of opportunities to bash Peterson, and deservedly so.

But this situation isn't one of them.

My gut reaction to this was to blame Carl personally. As it has drawn itself out, it's making more and more sense to do it. Jared is everything we're looking for, but his off field problems warrant trying to get the right deal done. I don't think we'd trade him unless we got exactly what we think he's worth.

Logical
04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
ROFLROFLROFL

I will live to see 100 first.

OnTheWarpath15
04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
My gut reaction to this was to blame Carl personally. As it has drawn itself out, it's making more and more sense to do it. Jared is everything we're looking for, but his off field problems warrant trying to get the right deal done. I don't think we'd trade him unless we got exactly what we think he's worth.

My biggest concern at this point is that Carl overplays the situation and we are forced to keep him, tag him, and watch him walk. Or trade him for pennies on the dollar compared to what's being offered now.

I understand playing teams against each other, but there's a limit ot how far you drag something like this out, IMO.

Make the deal with Minnesota before Wilf and Childress have that moment of clarity and realize WTF they are doing.

A 1st/3rd this year and a 2nd in 2009 is more than fair compensation for Allen, and I don't see how Tampa can offer more without crippling their own draft. They only have 5 picks in this draft, IIRC.

BigChiefFan
04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
My biggest concern at this point is that Carl overplays the situation and we are forced to keep him, tag him, and watch him walk. Or trade him for pennies on the dollar compared to what's being offered now.

I understand playing teams against each other, but there's a limit ot how far you drag something like this out, IMO.

Make the deal with Minnesota before Wilf and Childress have that moment of clarity and realize WTF they are doing.

A 1st/3rd this year and a 2nd in 2009 is more than fair compensation for Allen, and I don't see how Tampa can offer more without crippling their own draft. They only have 5 picks in this draft, IIRC.I agree. If they've offered that compensation. We should sleep on it and then pull the trigger. The GM needs to be realistic in what we can get. Three damn good picks is worth allowing him to walk. I wonder if the Chiefs are holding this up to see if Gholston or C. Long will be available and we'll see a draft day trade?

Chiefaholic
04-21-2008, 08:40 PM
If we draft DE with the first pick, then the cards are in the Vike's hand between pick 6 and 17. If done beforhand, we have all the cards in our favor on Saturday. We'll have multiple options to keep teams guessing on who we'll take. We might even net an extra pick or two by trading down if 2-3 players are available who we like.

RINGLEADER
04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
This franchise is all stupided up.

Sure Jared Allen could end up in the pokey tomorrow. He could also end up in the hall of fame. The news that we're trading him is seriously depressing no matter how much sense it makes.

Now we're going to suck on the Defensive and Offensive lines.

Boo!

markk
04-21-2008, 08:55 PM
this team is bankrupt of talent... stockpile picks, start at QB and OT and DT, build out from the line of scrimmage from there

Rausch
04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
this team is bankrupt of talent... stockpile picks, start at QB and OT and DT, build out from the line of scrimmage from there

Couldn't agree more. I was totally against it this time last month but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of having a back up plan for Brodie.

Our offense clearly needs more help than the defense. I'd take the BAA at WR or OL after the 1st round.

stlchiefs
04-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Good idea. Try to sign him before he has his pro-bowl caliber season in his contract year. Smart thinking Flopnuts (somehow that has to be an oxymoron).

J Diddy
04-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Couldn't agree more. I was totally against it this time last month but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of having a back up plan for Brodie.

Our offense clearly needs more help than the defense. I'd take the BAA at WR or OL after the 1st round.

Are you saying take a qb with the 5th?

Rausch
04-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Are you saying take a qb with the 5th?

Yup.
If we can get a short swap and still land our guy, fine. But yeah, I'd go QB at 5...

TEX
04-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Casserly is a worse GM than Peterson and an even bigger dumbass. I wouldn't listen to anything that guy had to say.

TEX
04-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Good idea. Try to sign him before he has his pro-bowl caliber season in his contract year. Smart thinking Flopnuts (somehow that has to be an oxymoron).

Then he'll probably want to renegotiate his deal and threaten to sit out or something. :shrug:

chief52
04-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Casserly is a worse GM than Peterson and an even bigger dumbass. I wouldn't listen to anything that guy had to say.

You took the words right out of my mouth. How he lasted so long in the NFL amazes me. He screwed over the Redskins and Texans... Clueless.

BigRock
04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Supposedly it's not Carl's call. If the Chiefs don't take the trade, it's because Clark wants to keep Allen here. And if that happens that Clark doesn't make the trade, I'd almost guarantee Allen getting signed eventually. Clark would personally be on the line in that case.

xbarretx
04-21-2008, 09:32 PM

yeah those rumored Greenbay picks would have been nice for LJ last offseason :huh: :cuss: (not joking...they would have been SWEET)

TEX
04-21-2008, 09:46 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth. How he lasted so long in the NFL amazes me. He screwed over the Redskins and Texans... Clueless.

Yep. When the TEXANS dumped him, it was a HUGE step in the right direction. They also dumped their HC and their lame QB. The Chiefs would be wise to do the same...

ChiefaRoo
04-22-2008, 12:04 AM
This franchise is all stupided up.

Sure Jared Allen could end up in the pokey tomorrow. He could also end up in the hall of fame. The news that we're trading him is seriously depressing no matter how much sense it makes.

Now we're going to suck on the Defensive and Offensive lines.

Boo!

Jared will never be in the Hall of Fame. In fact, I predict that he will peak this year and then his legs will start to go. He already has re-direction issues against the run because of the way he is built. He's going to become a liablilty against the run before he gets old because he's too tall and leggy. Also, he's dumber than shit. Just my opinion but I like the idea of trading him now.

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2008, 12:17 AM
yeah those rumored Greenbay picks would have been nice for LJ last offseason :huh: :cuss: (not joking...they would have been SWEET)

The rumor was completely and utterly bogus.

It NEVER happened.

crazycoffey
04-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Maybe the front office wants JA to see that he's not going to get Freeney money here or anywhere, then start talking about staying here? / optimistic homer....

J Diddy
04-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Maybe the front office wants JA to see that he's not going to get Freeney money here or anywhere, then start talking about staying here? / optimistic homer....

the money they're talkin about giving him is more than the chiefs want to give him

Love ya, JA

C YA JA