PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Another informative update from the investigative team at the KC Star

T-post Tom
04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Good people, those Star folks...

With Allen situation looming, do Chiefs go for defensive end?

For weeks, all we have heard from the draft experts is that the Chiefs will be all over quarterback Matt Ryan with their No. 5 pick.

And that still might be the case.

But the whole Jared Allen situation has some NFL mock drafts shifting gears. Pro Football Weekly, for example, has the Chiefs taking defensive end Derrick Harvey out of Florida.

“With Jared Allen on his way out and two ends (Chris Long to the Rams and Vernon Gholston to the Raiders) already off the board, adding a pass rusher becomes a priority,” Pro Football Weekly writes.

The publication’s scouting report on Harvey: “Outstanding takeoff quickness. Can run, accelerate up field and close on the quarterback. Shows good strength in his hands and out-leverages bigger blockers (see Michigan game). Good balance and coordination to fight through trash and stay on his feet.”

The negatives?

“Could do a better job of keeping his shoulders square against the run. Lacks great anchor strength and can be neutralized when he is aligned head-up. Exposes his chest and struggles some to disengage.”

Other draft projections have Gholston, from Ohio State, falling to the Chiefs. Gholston is a physical specimen with incredible athletic ability. He runs a 4.58 40-yard with a 42-inch vertical leap and can bench 455 pounds.

Charley Casserly, former general manager of Washington and the Houston Texans, agreed that the Allen situation may force Carl Peterson’s hand.

“If (the trade) happens, you’re trading away a lot of sacks,” Casserly said Monday in a NFL Network conference call. “You need help on the offensive line, but you can hopefully get that help later (in the draft).”

CanadaKC
04-21-2008, 10:16 PM
What's wrong with Profootballweekly? They're an awesome football information source!!! Maybe you're thinking of Profootballtalk...

T-post Tom
04-21-2008, 10:19 PM
What's wrong with Profootballweekly? They're an awesome football information source!!! Maybe you're thinking of Profootballtalk...

I did get the two confused. My bad. So maybe I overstated my point, but I'd like to think that Profootballweekly would be getting its quotes and info from the local media that covers the Chiefs up front and personal every day of the year. Maybe I'll just change my original post. Then again, hard to give too much credence to anyone claiming that the Chiefs are going to go with Derrick Harvey @ #5.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
No, Flanagan sucks. He just quotes other sites and press conferences.

I don't know how that f*cker has a job.

He's worthless.

Smed1065
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
If the Chiefs go DE in the first, if a trade happens besides Long-It would nullify the reason for trading JA mostly. IMO.

BigRedChief
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
One article from Poz about track.

One article from Whit about race

This crap. And another article of rehash crap.

Pathetic.

J Diddy
04-21-2008, 11:33 PM
If the Chiefs go DE in the first, if a trade happens besides Long-It would nullify the reason for trading JA mostly. IMO.

3 picks and a ton of cash saved

I don't think it would nullify it

Rausch
04-21-2008, 11:39 PM

Clearly, considering where we drafted Allen to begin with...:spock:

J Diddy
04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Clearly, considering where we drafted Allen to begin with...:spock:

yeah we'll never find anyone outside of the 5th pick, we should trade the remainder of picks for the rights to michael vick

in a couple of years it'll pay off

ChiefGator
04-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Derrick Harvey at #5 is way too high though. That would be terrible.

Unless they meant at the #17 position.

I'm a Gator fan, but not real big on Harvey. The rest of our line sucked last year, but he didn't set the world on fire either.

DaKCMan AP
04-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Derrick Harvey at #5 is way too high though. That would be terrible.

Unless they meant at the #17 position.

I'm a Gator fan, but not real big on Harvey. The rest of our line sucked last year, but he didn't set the world on fire either.

Yeah, it didn't help Harvey that all of our DT's were hurt and we had to start a true freshman offensive lineman at DT. That being said, no way Harvey is a top-10 pick. However, I don't think he'll last to #17, either.

Hammock Parties
04-22-2008, 07:16 AM
No, Flanagan sucks. He just quotes other sites and press conferences.

I don't know how that f*cker has a job.

He's worthless.

He's pretty much a tenured columnist at this point. Must be nice...

Spicy McHaggis
04-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Surely the Chiefs wouldn't take Derrick Harvey at 5? Surely not... Right?

Chief Pote
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Somebody help me with this logic. Why in the hell would you trade away Jared Allen and then make your priority a DE in the first pick??? Hell I thought the team was more entertaining losing 38 to 35, then the current condition of the team. BUILD THE ****ING O-LINE PLEASE.

markk
04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
what are they supposed to report, there hasn't been any news on the subject in a few days

DaKCMan AP
04-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Somebody help me with this logic. Why in the hell would you trade away Jared Allen and then make your priority a DE in the first pick??? Hell I thought the team was more entertaining losing 38 to 35, then the current condition of the team. BUILD THE ****ING O-LINE PLEASE.

1. DE doesn't become a 'priority' - it's still BPA available at #5.

2. Refer to #1 to realize that there isn't a viable OL option at the #5 pick.

Hammock Parties
04-22-2008, 10:12 AM
what are they supposed to report, there hasn't been any news on the subject in a few days

There was news yesterday. We reported it.

El Jefe
04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Any article with Derrick Harvey at number 5 makes me LMAO, people think Gholston isn't good enough to go at 5, Harvey cant even sniff the 5th spot IMO. He is top twenty at best.

Hammock Parties
04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Any article with Derrick Harvey at number 5 makes me LMAO, people think Gholston isn't good enough to go at 5, Harvey cant even sniff the 5th spot IMO. He is top twenty at best.

According to some Harvey is a better speed rusher than Gholston. More quickness/moves.

DaKCMan AP
04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
According to some Harvey is a better speed rusher than Gholston. More quickness/moves.

Harvey has better size, but Gholston is faster and more athletic.

BigRedChief
04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Surely the Chiefs wouldn't take Derrick Harvey at 5? Surely not... Right?
Never underestimate King Carl's desire to prove that he's smarter than the rest of the NFL.

Hammock Parties
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Harvey has better size, but Gholston is faster and more athletic.

Gholston:

Not an edge rusher (not nifty and lacks hand moves). A power rusher with a motor that doesn't always run on high. Disappointing in space.Harvey:

Smooth athletic player with excellent speed, get off quickness and impressive edge rush skills. Like his stride length, hand quicks, counter moves and close.

DaKCMan AP
04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Gholston:

Harvey:

I've watched Harvey play every game for the past 2 years and I've seen Gholston on numerous occassions. As far as speed, Gholston has better combine numbers than Harvey at every level of the dash (10yd, 20yd, 40yd). He also had more reps at the bench, a higher vertical and a longer broad jump.

Harvey is probably a better pure pass rusher, but Gholston has more athleticism and speed.

Brock
04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
There was news yesterday. We reported it.

He didn't ask about the latest gossip on Clark Hunt in the negotiations. Real news, fatboy.