PDA

View Full Version : My Last Official Mock.. maybe.

Direckshun
04-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I might have another mock when the Jared Allen trade goes through.

For this mock, I'm assuming the same thing everybody else is -- that the Chiefs trade Jared Allen for the Vikings' 1st (#17) and 3rd (#73) and a second next year. I anticipate the Chiefs may auction off their #5 for a lower first rounder and a 2nd, but I'm not going to go that far with this Draft.

This should come as no surprise to a couple folks who have spoken with me in this forum for the last couple months.

1st round

5. DT Sedrick Ellis (USC) -- Best DL prospect in the Draft, forget your Gholstons and your Longs and your Dorseys. I've loved this guy from day one.

17. (from Vikings) OT Chris Williams (Vanderbilt) -- The OT class is deep this year with potential 10-year starters at tackle. I use a first-rounder to snatch up one of the best ones available.

2nd round

35. DE Lawrence Jackson (USC) -- Well hell, why not just pick up the entire USC defensive line? Jackson flourished next to Ellis, and we could use that familiarity as a suddenly-thin DE corps needs help. He's not a speed-rusher, but he's got good technique and he's got a strong frame.

3rd round

66. DE Chris Ellis (Virginia Tech) -- Noticing a theme in my Draft so far? Building the team from the line of scrimmage out... It's not intentional or anything, I just believe this guy will be amongst the BPA when we're up in the third. Ellis is a lightning-fast, undersized DE who has some upside as he fills out his frame. He'd do a lot better in a rotation with Hali and Jackson than he would as a starter.

73. (from Vikings) OG Eric Young (Tennessee) -- Hey I've got an idea, if you're going to burn a Draft pick on a guard who may convert to tackle, why not do it in the third round with Eric Young rather than doing it in the goddamn first round with Brandon Albert?

82. (from Vikings) WR Eddie Royal (Virginia Tech) -- What the Chiefs lack primarily in their offense, perhaps even more than a solid LT, is a deep threat. The closest the Chiefs have to that would be Jeff Webb. Eddie Royal is a potentially elite downfield threat -- 4.3/4.4 speed combined with great route running. The major question here is his size (5'10", 190) and his hands. But this pick addresses a serious need while taking one of the best pure deep threats in the Draft.

4th round

105. CB Trae Williams (USF) -- I don't think we need to pick up more than one potential starting CB in this year's Draft. We have Surtain for another year, and our depth isn't great but Brackenridge is solid in nickel. I'll fix depth with another CB pick when it's appropriate.

5th round

136. (from Dolphins) Adarius Bowman (Oklahoma State) -- Vertical threats come and go, but red zone threats are forever. I had the pleasure of watching some of Bowman in action and the guy is a man amongst boys in the secondary. A towering 6'4", 220 lbs, he's an elite route-runner who can get open and sports a pair of glue-like palms.

140. TE Craig Stevens (California) -- We've been hearing about this guy all offseason, and he is the real deal. He's not going to be the thundering blocker that Dunn was, but he's the best blocking TE in the Draft -- and guess what? He can actually receive the ball!

6th round

170. K Taylor Mehlhaff (Wisconsin) -- Wishful thinking. The more and more I look at the Draft, the more convinced I am that Mehlhaff is in Shanahan's crosshairs. Mehlhaff is the only kicker the deserves a pick, so I assume the Donkeys will Draft him way early, in the 5th or even in the 4th.

182. (from Buccaneers, swapped #187 with Vikings) CB Dwight Lowery (San Jose State) -- Hello, depth. Maybe even more... Lowery is an elite athlete that people considered a 2nd and 3rd round prospect until he ran a 4.6 at the Combine. His stock has fallen hard, but he still fits the Cover 2 pretty well as long as he's not asked to do too much. Lowery looks faster on the field anyway.

7th round

210. RB Dantrell Savage (Oklahoma State) -- Needed a change of pace back to LJ, and this incredibly deep RB class reveals a great option for the Chiefs in the 7th. Savage is a speed demon with 4.4 speed who might be able to help us return some kicks.

239. (from Giants) SS Caleb Campbell (Army) -- This is some more wishful thinking on my behalf. I believe that Campbell is a mid-rounder, but Army and Navy prospects always seem to get overlooked. Campbell is one of the remaining safeties on the bottom half of the Draft that sports enough speed to be an effective Cover 2 safety. We need to cut Wesley and McGraw is a ST guy, nothing more.

The Franchise
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Take it.....in a heartbeat.

Zouk
04-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Nice draft. I particularly like the Eric Young pick.

I think Stevens will go in the 3rd or 4th round. He's definitely risen on draft boards.

I also think Bowman will not get drafted. Last I heard he was facing jail time for a repeat marijuana offense. He admitted to throwing pot out of the window of his car as he was being pulled over.

Direckshun
04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
I also think Bowman will not get drafted. Last I heard he was facing jail time for a repeat marijuana offense. He admitted to throwing pot out of the window of his car as he was being pulled over.
I don't know his extensive personal history. I did hear he had some drug-related problems at UNC, but he's been a (and I quote) "model citizen" at OSU.

Zouk
04-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't know his extensive personal history. I did hear he had some drug-related problems at UNC, but he's been a (and I quote) "model citizen" at OSU.

Yep. He got kicked out of UNC for drug reasons, and then got arrested just this last month. Pretty dumb to have pot on you one month before the draft.

http://newsok.com/article/3232789/1208752288

Direckshun
04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't mind taking a risk on a character-concern in the 5th.

Although... yeah. That doesn't sound good. I might rethink my pick, but I don't really worry about character when it gets to the midround unless it's something insane.

OnTheWarpath15
04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I absolutely love this draft, minus Bowman.

Get a Marcus Monk or Dexter Jackson in there and I'd be thrilled.

Nice work.

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Love this draft.

Actually with Eric Young its the other way around - he played tackle at Tennessee but is being converted to guard in the NFL.

Direckshun
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
The team would (ideally) look something like this:

QB: Croyle, Huard, Thigpen
RB: L. Johnson, Savage, K. Smith
FB: Hoyte

TE: Gonzalez, Davis, Allan

LT: C. Williams, McIntosh
LG: Waters, Taylor
C: Niswanger, W. Smith
RG: Young/Taylor, Young/Taylor
RT: Young/McIntosh, Young/McIntosh

#1 WR: Bowe
#2 WR: Darling
#3/slot: Webb
#3/redzone: Bowman

RDE: Jackson, C. Ellis
DT (2-tech): Boone, Tyler, Edwards
DT (3-tech): S. Ellis, McBride
LDE: Hali, C. Ellis

WOLB: D. Williams, Edwards
MLB: Edwards, Nap Harris, Nate Harris
SOLB: D. Johnson, D. Williams

#1 CB: Surtain
#2 CB: T. Williams
NCB: Brackridge
Rotational: Lowery, Patterson

SS: Pollard, McGraw
FS: Page, Campbell

LS: Le Darche
K: Mehlhaff
P: Colquitt
KR/PR: Savage

With room for some extra UDFAs in there whereever.

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
The O-Line is wrong - Direck.

LT - McIntosh/Williams
LG - Waters/
C - Niswanger/Smith
RG - Young/Stallings
RT - Taylor/

Direckshun
04-22-2008, 11:46 AM
The O-Line is wrong - Direck.

LT - McIntosh/Williams
LG - Waters/
C - Niswanger/Smith
RG - Young/Stallings
RT - Taylor/
You don't think Williams could beat out McIntosh for LT?

Then what the hell am I drafting him for?

alpha_omega
04-22-2008, 11:48 AM
That 1st round looks good to me.

I do have one question though regarding round 7....don't Army graduates have to perform a service obligation? Seriously....does anybody know the answer to this?

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2008, 11:52 AM

I just stuck him there. It was the guard and right tackle spots that were realy screwed up.

Direckshun
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I just have a lot of maybes at those positions.

RG -- We've been talking about maybe moving McIntosh in to G. There's been limited buzz about Stallings, although I doubt he makes the team. Taylor has the ability to man down the position but he's looking more like an OT every day, and Young would be our unknown quantity. Hell there's even buzz about bringing Niswanger over if Brian Waters plays C.

RT -- Virtually the same conversation, but without Stallings or Niswanger. Svitek will no doubt get a look as well.

Fish
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I forwarded Carl your list.

Thanks.

Direckshun
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I forwarded Carl your list.

Thanks.
Holy shit that's a brilliant idea. I should do that.

Edit: Blah, I can't find Carl's email. :)

OnTheWarpath15
04-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Holy shit that's a brilliant idea. I should do that.

Edit: Blah, I can't find Carl's email. :)

dumbass@kcchiefs.com

Him and Gretz share an account.

DaKCMan AP
04-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Not crazy about Lawrence Jackson.

Sfeihc
04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Love it, D. You clearly understand what the draft is all about. I like Campbell in the 7th, see the Texans in the CP Mock. Which BTW, the Texans And Broncos are ready for their draft grades.

tiptap
04-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Next year when McIntosh's contract is over.

Raiderh8ter77
04-22-2008, 04:55 PM
hey idiot, we dont need 2 ends, we need to stockpile ot's i want chris williams in 1st with brohm in 2nd rd branden flowers or carl nicks in 3rd cherilus and eric young and so on and so fourth

kstater
04-22-2008, 05:02 PM
hey idiot, we dont need 2 ends, we need to stockpile ot's i want chris williams in 1st with brohm in 2nd rd branden flowers or carl nicks in 3rd cherilus and eric young and so on and so fourth

Well that's a good way to run down a team. Draft nothing but one position.

OnTheWarpath15
04-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Hey idiot, we currently have TWO defensive ends on the roster.

And we're about to trade one of them.

kstater
04-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Oh and, Win Now!!!!!

:)

Raiderh8ter77
04-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey idiot, we currently have TWO defensive ends on the roster.

And we're about to trade one of them.

but both of those players on the mock suck

Raiderh8ter77
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Well that's a good way to run down a team. Draft nothing but one position.

well who do you want to be the starting ot's mcintosh!? turdley?!

kstater
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
well who do you want to be the starting ot's mcintosh!? turdley?!

I'm sure the Chiefs' will get a couple quality linemen in the draft. But I sure as heck don't want them to spend the whole draft selecting them.

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
We need 2 OT's - future LT to groom or push McIntosh and a RT to push/start over Herb Taylor. We dont need to draft 500 of them. We need 2 DE's right now we have JA and Hali with Turk being the option if JA is traded.

Mizzou_8541
04-22-2008, 05:33 PM

RG -- We've been talking about maybe moving McIntosh in to G. There's been limited buzz about Stallings, although I doubt he makes the team. Taylor has the ability to man down the position but he's looking more like an OT every day, and Young would be our unknown quantity. Hell there's even buzz about bringing Niswanger over if Brian Waters plays C.

RT -- Virtually the same conversation, but without Stallings or Niswanger. Svitek will no doubt get a look as well.

Direkshun...

Two questions-
1) Do you think this trade is going down?
2) Do you want this trade to go down?

Direckshun
04-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Direkshun...

Two questions-
1) Do you think this trade is going down?
2) Do you want this trade to go down?
1. Everything I've read leads me to believe that it is.

2. I honestly do, if we're getting a 2008 1st and 3rd, and a 2nd in 2009.

Mizzou_8541
04-22-2008, 06:35 PM
1. Everything I've read leads me to believe that it is.

2. I honestly do, if we're getting a 2008 1st and 3rd, and a 2nd in 2009.

OK, thanks. I'm as big a JA fan as anyone else, just want to get something in return.

aturnis
04-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I thought McIntosh signed a 6 yr. contract?

KCChiefsMan
04-22-2008, 08:00 PM

I saw an interview and it was convincing that he has changed

OnTheWarpath15
04-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I saw an interview and it was convincing that he has changed

Was that before or after his recent arrest?

milkman
04-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I like this draft, and am almost certain the that it will never play out like this.

I am a big fan of the Chris Williams pick, but I fully expect the Chiefs to take Brandon Albert there now.

I really don't think Jackson makes it to 35, and like you, I think Taylor Melhalf will be gone to the Broncos in the 5th.

milkman
04-23-2008, 08:32 AM

I've been high on Herb Taylor since last season.

While I wouldn't want to see him there permanently, he manned the LT position some, and acquitted himself rather nicely.

I've also been pretty high on Niswanger.

If we did draft Williams at 17, and also picked up Eric Young at 73, the line would be vastly improved.

Williams, Waters, Niswanger, Young, Taylor.

By the end of the year, we could have a youg, strong and athletic line meshing into a solid group.

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Adding one more pick, since we apparently have it.

82. (from Vikings) WR Eddie Royal (Virginia Tech) -- What the Chiefs lack primarily in their offense, perhaps even more than a solid LT, is a deep threat. The closest the Chiefs have to that would be Jeff Webb. Eddie Royal is a potentially elite downfield threat -- 4.3/4.4 speed combined with great route running. The major question here is his size (5'10", 190) and his hands. But this pick addresses a serious need while taking one of the best pure deep threats in the Draft.

OnTheWarpath15
04-23-2008, 09:28 AM
I've been high on Herb Taylor since last season.

While I wouldn't want to see him there permanently, he manned the LT position some, and acquitted himself rather nicely.

I've also been pretty high on Niswanger.

If we did draft Williams at 17, and also picked up Eric Young at 73, the line would be vastly improved.

Williams, Waters, Niswanger, Young, Taylor.

By the end of the year, we could have a youg, strong and athletic line meshing into a solid group.

I'd be VERY pleased with that line.

Zouk
04-23-2008, 09:41 AM
When I heard about the extra 3rd I started thinking about Eddie Royal too.

Direckshun
04-23-2008, 09:47 AM
When I heard about the extra 3rd I started thinking about Eddie Royal too.
:thumb: