PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft 13 picks...the most ever??!!!

TinyEvel
04-23-2008, 02:44 AM
WTF? Are we gonna just pick an entire team, and field them (with Morgan Freeman as the coach, and Toby McGuire as the waterboy)??!!

Has ANY team had this many pick before?

I think a first and two thirds is a fair trade for JA....I guess. We certainly are a rebuilding team, no doobt aboot thet. Yep.

Get ready for the keystone cops of football. We might as well change our theme song to the Benny Hill theme.

04-23-2008, 02:46 AM
I am sure that Dallas had more back during the HW trade.

kcchiefsus
04-23-2008, 02:57 AM
No simply because at various times in the history of the NFL the number of rounds varied. There have been 12, 17, and 20 rounds in a draft depending on the year.

However, I think it is possible that this could be one of the largest amount of picks in a 7 round draft ever.

BigRock
04-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Just wait until we trade #17 for Dallas' two first rounders (throwing them one of the 3rds we got), and then we trade down on one of those first rounders and pick up more 2nds and 3rds, and then we trade Wesley, and then the Packers call about Huard because they're worried that the Vikings line will hurt Aaron Rodgers, and Tampa Bay offers us all their late round picks to take Sims back.

We'll have like 25 picks!

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2008, 03:16 AM
Just wait until we trade #17 for Dallas' two first rounders (throwing them one of the 3rds we got), and then we trade down on one of those first rounders and pick up more 2nds and 3rds, and then we trade Wesley, and then the Packers call about Huard because they're worried that the Vikings line will hurt Aaron Rodgers, and Tampa Bay offers us all their late round picks to take Sims back.

I think I just time-traveled reading your post.

And I can't remember what happened.

PhillyChiefFan
04-23-2008, 05:28 AM

ROFL

Red Dawg
04-23-2008, 05:31 AM
and for the record. **** Jared Allen! I love how great he is on the field but no way I give 31 mil in gurantees to a guy that must remain perfect or he'll miss a whole year. The man got 2 dui's and then said the next day his problems were over and he was good to go. What a load of BS. He'll fugg up at some point and the Vikes will pay the price for it. He clearly does not want to be here anyway so screw him.

13 picks. 2 number ones and two seconds and 3rds I believe.

We are loading up for a great camp and future of the team.

The Bad Guy
04-23-2008, 05:31 AM
The Chiefs won't have the dollars under the allocated cap to sign everyone. I expect a lot of trade ups, especially with our 5th rounders.

penguinz
04-23-2008, 06:44 AM
The Chiefs won't have the dollars under the allocated cap to sign everyone. I expect a lot of trade ups, especially with our 5th rounders.
The chiefs have an assload of $ to spend. We already were one of the teams with the most amount of cap $ left. With the trade of Allen we just gained another $8M of cap room.

CoMoChief
04-23-2008, 06:44 AM
I forget which team did N.O. trade their entire draft to to get Ricky Williams?

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 06:47 AM
The Chiefs won't have the dollars under the allocated cap to sign everyone.Isn't the rookie cap based on the number of picks and tallied after the draft ends? Why would it be any more/less difficult after trades?

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 06:49 AM
I forget which team did N.O. trade their entire draft to to get Ricky Williams?Yes, NO, with our own Bill Kuharich at GM.

rad
04-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Didn't Philly have 13 a few years back?

Rain Man
04-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Carl has successfully turned us into an expansion team.

TEX
04-23-2008, 07:23 AM

Pretty much. It's gonna take a long time to even be average. This will just serve to give Carl and Herm more time. They backed into this rebuild and wasted a year in the process because they didn't have the snap to see it coming. When they started it, it was the only thing left to do. That tells me they can't finish it either.

Deberg_1990
04-23-2008, 07:26 AM
WTF? Are we gonna just pick an entire team, and field them (with Morgan Freeman as the coach, and Toby McGuire as the waterboy)??!!

Has ANY team had this many pick before?

I think a first and two thirds is a fair trade for JA....I guess. We certainly are a rebuilding team, no doobt aboot thet. Yep.

Get ready for the keystone cops of football. We might as well change our theme song to the Benny Hill theme.

Do you remember the NFL draft used to be like 12 rounds??

hawkchief
04-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Great, with all of these draft picks, our draft will just suck 2X as much as normal.

Dave Lane
04-23-2008, 07:27 AM

Actually the rookie cap which is different than the regular cap and is determined by the picks so the rookie cap is based on the number of picks and where taken so we are fine.

Dave

redshirt32
04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Another trade n the first round and we coulld end up with a full team, let see the falcons have 3 second rounders hmmmm...........

Iowanian
04-23-2008, 08:09 AM
The BEST part of having 13(and counting) draft picks in this weekends draft, will be watching CP fail to have 6 of them signed by training camp.

AJKCFAN
04-23-2008, 11:50 AM

Is anyone aware what the allocated 2008 cap would be?

The following article talks in detail about last year's rookie cap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2862869

Here's notable excerpts from the article:

The rookie pool is essentially a cap within a cap. It represents the maximum each franchise can spend, in terms of total cap dollars, on its first-year players. A team's rookie allocation is part of, not in addition to, its overall spending limit. The salary cap ceiling for 2007 was $109 million.

The formula for deriving each team's rookie pool is regarded as Byzantine even by the most astute team officials, and is basically a function of how many overall choices a club makes and where those picks are slotted in each round.

So, has the rookie cap locked the Chiefs into a set amount of picks or will the rookie cap continue to adjust should the Chiefs keep adding draft picks?

If the answer is the Chiefs rookie cap adjusts with however many picks the Chiefs happen to have....

Let's suppose Chris Long, Dorsey and McFadden are the 2nd through 4th picks respectively and the Chiefs decide that @ #5 it's a reach to draft anyone so they deal down to pick up more picks to a team desperate enough to move up to draft Matt Ryan.

Maybe Baltimore will deal us Picks 8 & 38 to move up to get Ryan, giving KC 2 1's, 2 2's and 3 's. Now at #8, they'd still be a lock to get one of the players they would have reached for at 8, but at a more reasonable price financially.

Maybe Carolina will fork over the #13 pick, both of their 3's (67, 74), and a 4 (109) to get Ryan (trade is practically dead even by pick value chart). That would keep the Chiefs at 2 1's, a 2 & FIVE 3's (including a pair of double picks) to start things off for Sunday and now the Chiefs would have a total of 16 picks.

Maybe Atlanta does what Cleveland did last year and have their cake and eat it too. They choose Dorsey, then come back to KC to get Ryan to be their QB and give the Chiefs back their #1 next year, ALL 3 of their 2's this year (34, 37, 48) and their early 3 (68). Ryan would likely be their opening day QB and having their 1 next year could easily be a Top 12 pick to go along with ours. The Chiefs would give up their higher 1, but still would have a 1, they'd have FOUR 2's (including three out of four in the very early part of the round), FOUR 3's (including two out of three in the very early part of this round too).

They'd be able to fill in a lot of holes and do so with high draft picks. Among the holes they could fill with this boatload of picks (also now sixteeen) could essentially draft an entire OL to protect Croyle and see what Croyle is all about in the rebuilding year everyone expects to happen and go into the 2009 Draft with 2 high 1's to start things with. If Croyle can't demonstrate he's the Chiefs answer at QB with better OL protection, they'll definitely be able to take care of the issue next year with what could be a better QB Draft Class.

If only Jimmy Johnson could do the next 2 drafts for the Chiefs....

Carlota69
04-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I forget which team did N.O. trade their entire draft to to get Ricky Williams?

I think it was the redskins

dtebbe
04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
We might as well change our theme song to the Benny Hill theme.

That's been the front office theme for years....

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 01:00 PM

This gives him a "do over" on the 5-year plan...

mlyonsd
04-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Yea I bet you'd just love that wouldn't ya? ;)

Rooster
04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I think it was the redskins

It was. By all accounts the Skins should have built a dynasty with what they got in that draft. However they really stunk it up and basically got nothing in return.

I hope the Chiefs do better this year.

Rooster
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM

God you're evil..... :doh!:

R&GHomer
04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
The BEST part of having 13(and counting) draft picks in this weekends draft, will be watching CP fail to have 6 of them signed by training camp.

ROFL Damn!

Blindside58
04-23-2008, 01:32 PM
I know 13 is already alot, But where is the conditional pick from Tampa Bay for Ryan Sims? I just looked at NFL.coms NFL Draft page for the Chiefs and it is updated showing where all of our picks came from and Tampa is not on there. It is kind of cool that one of the vikings picks is from the Dungver Browncows.

teedubya
04-23-2008, 01:38 PM
We need an extra pick in the 2nd and in the 4th... then we can have have double picks in each round. It will be like 2 drafts in one.

DJJasonp
04-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Look on the bright side of this additional picks and potential to not sign them situation...

Maybe Carl will follow in Vermeil's footsteps from his first year in Philly and hold open tryouts for the chiefs!

Maybe hold some sort of promotion where if you buy a season ticket, you're put in a raffle where one lucky fan each week gets to play left tackle!

AJKCFAN
04-23-2008, 02:04 PM
I know 13 is already alot, But where is the conditional pick from Tampa Bay for Ryan Sims? I just looked at NFL.coms NFL Draft page for the Chiefs and it is updated showing where all of our picks came from and Tampa is not on there. It is kind of cool that one of the vikings picks is from the Dungver Browncows.

The "Ryan Sims" pick was just traded to Minnesota as part of the 6th round pick exchange.

See link here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#tab:dt-by-team|team-min

We've moved up 5 picks in the 6th round exchange, FWIW

Blindside58
04-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Got it. Thanks!