PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Jets want to move up for McFadden

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 11:23 AM
According to PFT. My question would be if we could swap picks with the Jets what else could we get in return? Surely we could get an extra pick at least correct?

DaKCMan AP
04-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I'd love for the Jets move up to #2, #3 or #4 to select McFadden.

markk
04-23-2008, 11:24 AM
they would have to trade with atlanta or st. louis to get ahead of oakland.

if atlanta traded out of that spot, at least we would be guaranteed Ryan would last to #5

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Ok ... so, it's pretty certain that KC will not take McFadden.

If NY is going to move up... they'll have to get in front of Oakland or ATL, they're the only threats really to take McFadden.

I don't think KC has a play here.

Hammock Parties
04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Our pick is worth 1,700 points

New York's pick is worth 1,600 points

So we'd need a 4th round pick at minimum (NY's 4th is worth 104 points)

The Bad Guy
04-23-2008, 11:26 AM
According to PFT. My question would be if we could swap picks with the Jets what else could we get in return? Surely we could an extra pick at least correct?

I think we need to stay where we are at.

Draft picks are great, but if we have 14, we can't sign everyone of them.

The Chiefs are probably in the best position for the draft out of any team. To have this many picks at your disposal will really rush the rebuilding process.

PHOG
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd love for the Jets move up to #2, #3 or #4 to select McFadden.

Exactly. Means someone is going to fall. :clap:

dirk digler

If NY is going to move up... they'll have to get in front of Oakland or ATL, they're the only threats really to take McFadden.

But what if he is there at #5? If the Rams take Dorsey and the Falcons take Ryan then it leaves the Raiders choosing between Long or McFadden or someone else. I would think they would take Long but who really knows with Al.

Frosty

I don't think ATL is any risk to take McFadden, since they just picked up Turner for big bucks. Their pick will be Dorsey or Ryan.

dirk digler
Our pick is worth 1,700 points

New York's pick is worth 1,600 points

So we'd need a 4th round pick at minimum (NY's 4th is worth 104 points)

Thanks that is what I was looking for.

chiefqueen
04-23-2008, 11:28 AM
I think a condition of anybody moving up to #4 is they take Chris Long if he's available. I don't think Al Davis would want Howie's son to be a Chief. (I, however, would love it.)

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
But what if he is there at #5? If the Rams take Dorsey and the Falcons take Ryan then it leaves the Raiders choosing between Long or McFadden or someone else. I would think they would take Long but who really knows with Al.

Well, call me crazy ... but I don't think anyone believes that KC is a threat to draft McFadden at this point, not with all those big time needs to fill.

markk
04-23-2008, 11:29 AM

The Chiefs are probably in the best position for the draft out of any team. To have this many picks at your disposal will really rush the rebuilding process.

not only that, but they are kind of dispersed throughout the first day which i think gives us a good position. we can cover the top with #5, and someone could slip to us at #17. We have many other picks like the 3rds to make a move up to get someone if we need to.

The chiefs have never been in a better position to have a good draft. i know that half the people will love it and half will cry that we gave (1 year of) Jared Allen away for nothing, but you cand do anything but put yourself in a positiong to succeed

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 11:31 AM

Yeah, and who says they won't package picks in R3-R5 to move up or get an additional pick in R2... something like that would be expected.

dirk digler
04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Well, call me crazy ... but I don't think anyone believes that KC is a threat to draft McFadden at this point, not with all those big time needs to fill.

Ahh good point. DUH.

Hammock Parties
04-23-2008, 11:32 AM

It's probably just smoke, but the Chiefs did tell us they were interested in McFadden last week.

alanm
I don't think ATL is any risk to take McFadden, since they just picked up Turner for big bucks. Their pick will be Dorsey or Ryan.
I'd wager $$ that Atlanta is going for Ryan. Dorsey and McFadden are a smoke screen.

PhillyChiefFan
I'm not that certain Oakland would take McFadden. Is there any particular reason for them to take him (talent aside, they are DEEP at RB with other concerns). C. Long seems more of a fit to me.
they have:
LaMont Jordan, Justin Fargas, Justin Griffith, Dominic Rhodes, Michael Bush, I mean how many friggin RB's do you need?

J Diddy
04-23-2008, 11:33 AM

I agree

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 11:34 AM
It's probably just smoke, but the Chiefs did tell us they were interested in McFadden last week.

Us? Oh, you and the spares at WPI...

I'm sure if you asked the people "in the know" with the Chiefs' organization about the top 20 athletes in the draft that they'd say they "were interested".

Hoover
04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I want the Jets to move up in front of Oakland and take him. The Chiefs can stay where they are,it just helps a better player fall to us.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm not that certain Oakland would take McFadden. Is there any particular reason for them to take him (talent aside, they are DEEP at RB with other concerns). C. Long seems more of a fit to me.
they have:
LaMont Jordan, Justin Fargas, Justin Griffith, Dominic Rhodes, Michael Bush, I mean how many friggin RB's do you need?

Well, again ... call me crazy, but I think McFadden immediately beats out any of those options. Granted, they do have crazy depth with some talented guys and this is the very reason why I think they would NOT take McFadden.

If you take Darren there... you're paying him to be "the guy". Oakland isn't "a guy" a way from contending, so they could fill a better need here and either ride with the talent they have or take another RB later in the draft.

McFadden in OAK right now doesn't make sense... but, that's probably why they'll take him.

Deberg_1990
04-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I wonder if there is any chance that Atlanta drafts McFadden?

blueballs
04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Chiefs 5
Jets 6
is Mangenie an idiot

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
I wonder if there is any chance that Atlanta drafts McFadden?

Not after signing Turner... but, again... who knows if Turner can be the man. Turner and McFadden could rock, but that's a ton of cash for 2 RBs.

Frosty
04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd wager $$ that Atlanta is going for Ryan. Dorsey and McFadden are a smoke screen.

Most accounts say that the coach wants Dorsey and the owner wants Ryan. Since the owner will probably win that one, they will probably take Ryan (I am hoping this happens because it gives the Chiefs a good shot at Dorsey).

markk
04-23-2008, 11:38 AM

why do they need a smokescreen? is st. louis going to pick him?

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Could be a smokescreen in order to get a team like the Jets to trade up for him... or Oakland for that matter. Each team is playing 10 different types of mind games right now.

Deberg_1990
04-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Not after signing Turner... but, again... who knows if Turner can be the man. Turner and McFadden could rock, but that's a ton of cash for 2 RBs.

Forgot about that. Atlanta needs the PR obviously. McFadden would help put butts in the seats, and a good RB is usually better right away rather than a young QB.

markk
04-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Could be a smokescreen in order to get a team like the Jets to trade up for him... or Oakland for that matter. Each team is playing 10 different types of mind games right now.

atlanta is using the 'smokescreen' to encourage teams to trade ahead of them to get the guy they really want?

Fish
04-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Most accounts say that the coach wants Dorsey and the owner wants Ryan. Since the owner will probably win that one, they will probably take Ryan (I am hoping this happens because it gives the Chiefs a good shot at Dorsey).

I'm really hoping for that as well. Eliminates the Ryan ? and gives us another great DLineman to choose from.

markk
04-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Forgot about that. Atlanta needs the PR obviously. McFadden would help put butts in the seats, and a good RB is usually better right away rather than a young QB.

no one is saying anything about this but a big portion of the fan base thinks that race played a role in Vick being taken down as hard as he was. there would be more such groaning if the end result was replacing him with a white qb.

Brock
04-23-2008, 11:42 AM
atlanta is using the 'smokescreen' to encourage teams to trade ahead of them to get the guy they really want?

No, to get they guy they want the other teams to think they might want if the guy they really want isn't available, in which case they'll just draft the guy they wanted all along.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 11:42 AM

Yeah, it's all a huge ? right now...

Do they want to put that much $ in a QB right now? Or, should they bolster another hole? McFadden AND Michael Turner would go a long way in helping their passing attack.

Plus, they could take a QB later on in the draft...

Part of me also wonders this... now that Alexander is a FA, does this affect the decision of a team like ATL? No, Alexander is not what he was a few years ago, but... with a new young guy like Turner... do they bring in Alexander to help him and then use that pick on a QB?

I dunno... they have lots of options.

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 11:44 AM
no one is saying anything about this but a big portion of the fan base thinks that race played a role in Vick being taken down as hard as he was. there would be more such groaning if the end result was replacing him with a white qb.

Well, I dunno... but, other options do they have right now at QB? I mean, there are only so many that are going to be available.

I don't know that it's a factor really...

alanm
04-23-2008, 11:44 AM
they have:
And none of those guys can stay healthy enough to stay on the field.

alanm
04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Not saying that Atlanta needs a smokescreen. They'll take Ryan. Saying that their looking at Dorsey and McFadden is a smokescreen. Atlanta needs a QB. Their not fooling anyone.

CoMoChief
04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
I would love for McFadden to slip to us while we land another 3rd rd pick.

Then Carl can use his magical negotiating powers to trick the Jets in thinking that we might very well take McFadden.

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2008, 12:12 PM
If at pick 5, Long is available, the Chiefs win the draft. If at pick 5, Long is not available, but McFadden is, we should trade down a few spots to the highest bidder.

StcChief
04-23-2008, 12:15 PM
If at pick 5, Long is available, the Chiefs win the draft. If at pick 5, Long is not available, but McFadden is, we should trade down a few spots to the highest bidder.that's right....don't reach, leverage your position.

Amnorix
04-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Be happy to see the Jets spend some picks to move up. They need more than 1 guy to turn that team around, so burning picks to put all their eggs in one basket works fine from my piont of view. :D

bsp4444
04-23-2008, 01:17 PM
It's not a matter of whether WE will take McFadden if he's there...it's that our draft position is available for a trade that would rob the Jets of an opportunity to draft him. That's why they might be willing to move up one position...low cost to get the guy they covet.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Stay at 5, take Vernon Gholston.

Hammock Parties
04-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Yeah, I'm actually kind of stoked at the prospect of getting him. Three years ago I really wanted Merriman, and he's turned out to be a total monster. If Gholston can be anything close...pinch me!

Mile High Mania
04-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I'm actually kind of stoked at the prospect of getting him. Three years ago I really wanted Merriman, and he's turned out to be a total monster. If Gholston can be anything close...pinch me!

Yeah, you were the only one preaching Merriman... you are the next Kiper.

Hammock Parties
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah, you were the only one preaching Merriman... you are the next Kiper.

Nah, I just wanted him. I think he went a few spots before DJ. I remember being disappointed when he came off the board. DJ's been good, but nothing close to Merriman.

ChiefGator
04-23-2008, 03:01 PM
How many teams trade to get one spot higher? Prolly not many.

But there is a Chiefs play here. Ya call the Jets and say "Hey, the Pats are one the phone and want to trade up to grab McFadden. You interested?"

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Nah, I just wanted him. I think he went a few spots before DJ. I remember being disappointed when he came off the board. DJ's been good, but nothing close to Merriman.Not to diminish Merriman, but he's had a little more to work with than DJ has. We've had problems at every level of the defense for years now, starting at tackle, and extending backwards to MLB and safety, and outside to corner. Merriman also plays a sexier role; rushing the QB is generally more exciting than dropping back into coverage.

DJ may have been a threat to reach the pro bowl with his play last year, had it been for another franchise (I mean because of the talent around him, not any anti-Chiefs mentality). I think he's taken his first step to the next level, and he could be the player to benefit the most if there's some defensive talent taken by KC in this draft, particularly at tackle and corner.

Just my opinion, of course.

KCinNY
04-23-2008, 03:18 PM

IIRC, the Chiefs picked up Neil Smith that way. Moved from 3rd to 2nd overall.

SBK
04-23-2008, 03:21 PM

Winner.

Amnorix
04-23-2008, 03:24 PM

But there is a Chiefs play here. Ya call the Jets and say "Hey, the Pats are one the phone and want to trade up to grab McFadden. You interested?"

Depending on who is on the board, it's tough to believe the Pats would move up for McFadden. Some other guys (especially Ghoulston), yes, but I wouldn't think McFadden. He doesn't fill a need.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I think we have a real shot at Chris Long.

Herzig
04-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Not saying that Atlanta needs a smokescreen. They'll take Ryan. Saying that their looking at Dorsey and McFadden is a smokescreen. Atlanta needs a QB. Their not fooling anyone.

All of the teams 3-5 are saying that they are interested in McFadden. Why? Mostly because that most people know if he is there at #6, the Jets take him. All of the teams before #6 are trying to increase their options that some team may be willing to allow them to trade down and pick up picks.

It's all about leverage.

aturnis
04-23-2008, 03:34 PM
If anyone would trade down it'd be the Rams. I do recall an article recently putting that scenario out there.

Boozer76
04-23-2008, 03:36 PM
As a Jets fan I don't buy the trade up rumors at all. Keep in mind this team only had 4 draft picks last year. To give up uor 2nd and a 4th to move up (plus the fact we don't have a 3rd right now) would be darn near suicidal to the long term health of this team. If any trade rumor has merit, it's the one to move up and draft Matt Ryan, however I think that's nonsense as well. You guys dealing Allen may really have screwed us as I was truly hoping that we might have a shot at Chris Long ofr Gholston. Here's what I think the team rankings of players will be for the top 6:

MIA-J Long (obviously)
StL-1. Glen Dorsey 1a Chris Long (all depends on their feeling on Adam Carriker)
ATL-Matt Ryan (this team is the prime example of who should draft a QB)
OAK-1. Chris Long, DMC
KC-1. Chris Long, 2. Vernon Gholston, 3. Ryan Clady, 4. Leodis McKelvin
NYJ-1. Chris Long, 2. Vernon Gholston, 3. DMC, 4. L McKelvin, 5. Matt Ryan

GoHuge
04-23-2008, 03:44 PM
In McShay's latest Mock from today he has us getting Chris Long. He's got Dorsey going to STL, ATL taking Ryan, and the Raiders not taking Long because he's Howie's son and they take McFadden.

Valiant
04-23-2008, 03:58 PM

With the amount of money we have, we can sign all of them.. We actually have the ability this year..

Valiant
04-23-2008, 03:59 PM
they have:

Well all of them are average at best.. They might want a game-changer or their own version of LT..