PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Is copying video games as easy as

BIG_DADDY
04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
copying DVD's?

Delano
04-23-2008, 12:41 PM
I think the real trick is getting them to operate in the gaming console.

Last time I tried was with my PS2 and I had to solder a mod chip in it.

I also think the online gaming would be an obstacle for pirated games.

Demonpenz
04-23-2008, 12:53 PM
depends on what system. for ps3 you would have to have a blueray copier.

BIG_DADDY
04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
depends on what system. for ps3 you would have to have a blueray copier.

Xbox 360

Adept Havelock
04-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Xbox 360

You can, but I think you need to flash the DVD firmware to play copied games, and they have to be copied in a very specific way. That may or may not be picked up by Xbox Live when you boot up on the network. If it is, your console will be banned.

It was much easier on the Xbox, where you could set it up to boot with or without a Softmod or Modchip. Heck, you can turn an Xbox into a nice little Linux Box or AV box if you drop a bigger harddrive in.

There are some tutorials on Usenet in the 360 groups and on Demonoid on how to do it, IIRC,

Fish
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Xbox 360

Quite difficult. And you'd have to mod your 360 before it would be able to read the copied games. Not all models of the 360 are moddable. And if you mod it, you won't be able to play those copied games online, if that's of interest to you.

It involves opening the 360 up, connecting it to the PC, etc. You may need to buy a specific SATA add-in card for your PC to do it. It will also void your warranty.

If you want additional info, read through some of this: http://caster420.360mods.net/Textbook.2008.pdf

If that doesn't scare you off, and you'd like to try it, let me know and I'll forward you some additional websites for resources.

BIG_DADDY
04-23-2008, 01:12 PM
You can, but I think you need to flash the DVD firmware to play copied games, and they have to be copied in a very specific way. That may or may not be picked up by Xbox Live when you boot up on the network. If it is, your console will be banned.

It was much easier on the Xbox, where you could set it up to boot with or without a Softmod or Modchip. Heck, you can turn an Xbox into a nice little Linux Box or AV box if you drop a bigger harddrive in.

There are some tutorials on Usenet in the 360 groups and on Demonoid on how to do it, IIRC,

Thanks, I was hoping for something easier. It's not like I have time to play anyway.

Adept Havelock
04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks, I was hoping for something easier. It's not like I have time to play anyway.

It looks like you can also buy one pre-modded. They claim all you have to do is connect it to the PC and flash it. I've never gone this route (nor have I modded a 360) so I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

http://www.americanxboxmodchips.com/xbox-360-premodded.htm

BIG_DADDY
04-23-2008, 01:32 PM
It looks like you can also buy one pre-modded. They claim all you have to do is connect it to the PC and flash it. I've never gone this route (nor have I modded a 360) so I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

http://www.americanxboxmodchips.com/xbox-360-premodded.htm

Thanks for the help.