PDA

View Full Version : Brohm Advocates: Sell me on picking him with 17 or 35.

OnTheWarpath15
04-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Because for all the whining I read around here about how Brodie can't stay healthy, I see the EXACT same things with Brohm.

He's been under the knife 3 times in the last 3 years.

Sell me.

keg in kc
04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't take him at 17, but I'd think long and hard at 35. The injuries are the only negative I can see. He's got a strong arm, he's accurate, he's smart (in the regular sense and in football terms). It's kind of odd, in a way, that we're talking about him in this way; a year ago most people seemed to assume he'd be the number 1 pick in '08.

I don't think the Croyle comparison is necessarily a good one, in terms of play. I just don't see Brohm making the kind of mistakes we've seen from Croyle, the forced throws, the almost Jake Plummer level gaffs.

The injuries are a concern however, whether they came on fluke plays or not.

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
I like Brohm a hell lot more than I do Ryan.

Fish
04-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I think some people want him just because he's somebody (anybody) different than what we already have. Blind hope is emotionally easier than patience.....

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2008, 01:40 PM
I think Brohm has slipped bc of 2 things - 1) his knee injuries and 2) Petrino leaving and Louisville having a down year. His ceiling is Peyton Manning/Carson Palmer type, way more upside than a Matt Ryan who projects out like Matt Hasselback.

Nightfyre
04-23-2008, 01:44 PM
@35
Best Case scenario: Franchise QB
Worst Case scenario: Solid depth, competition for Brodie.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
I honestly think Brohm would fit our Offense pretty good. hes not a strong armed qb, but he is pretty accurate.

OnTheWarpath15
04-23-2008, 01:57 PM
No offense guys, but I hope you're not salesmen in real life....

:D

Chiefmanwillcatch
04-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Any good qb's in the 4th or 5th round?

I like the USC kid. Maybe doesn't have the arm.

chiefscafan
04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Ok being one of biggest supporters of Brohm I'm gonna tell you why we should draft him:

1. fastest release sense marino - doesn't hold on to the ball too long
2. intelligence - when the chiefs had him in and he disected the play with ease
3. Stays in pocket - even with a pass rush bearing in on him stands up and makes the throws.
4. Only is falling because of past injuries and bad coaching last year
5. Is a leader and accurate

what else do you want to know still think he is gonna be special moot point he won't be there at 35 and 17 maybe too high too pick him.

DT Fan
04-23-2008, 03:29 PM
@35
Best Case scenario: Franchise QB
Worst Case scenario: Solid depth, competition for Brodie.

Worst case is actually that he is solid depth, but that we're missing out on a potential solid starter (like Sam Baker or James Hardy or Justin King) for him.

That said, I think the argument for him is that he's extremely accurate and knows how to read a defense. If he had some protection, he could probably have a nice, long productive relationship with Dwayne Bowe and could make our miserable corps of #2 receivers somewhat productive.

That said, I'm not sold on addressing QB this year. I'm more a believer in the idea that you have to put the foundation in place before you get the franchise QB than in the camp that thinks you can get the QB and build it around him. I think the latter approach is what wrecked guys like Tim Couch and David Carr -- no line and not enough weapons destroyed their confidence.

So I would definitely not take him at 17, but if he somehow slipped to 35, I'd have to seriously think about it. But either way, I'd leave him on the bench for a year or two and let Brodie take the beating while the massive 08 draft class develops so that we don't wreck Brohm before he gets started.

Besides, if Brodie does turn out to be the strong player that some in the organization think he can be, then Brohm would be a Matt Schaub-type who you use as a backup for a couple of years and than trade for a first round pick or to fill a need.

OnTheWarpath15
04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Worst case is actually that he is solid depth, but that we're missing out on a potential solid starter (like Sam Baker or James Hardy or Justin King) for him.

That said, I think the argument for him is that he's extremely accurate and knows how to read a defense. If he had some protection, he could probably have a nice, long productive relationship with Dwayne Bowe and could make our miserable corps of #2 receivers somewhat productive.

That said, I'm not sold on addressing QB this year. I'm more a believer in the idea that you have to put the foundation in place before you get the franchise QB than in the camp that thinks you can get the QB and build it around him. I think the latter approach is what wrecked guys like Tim Couch and David Carr -- no line and not enough weapons destroyed their confidence.

So I would definitely not take him at 17, but if he somehow slipped to 35, I'd have to seriously think about it. But either way, I'd leave him on the bench for a year or two and let Brodie take the beating while the massive 08 draft class develops so that we don't wreck Brohm before he gets started.

Besides, if Brodie does turn out to be the strong player that some in the organization think he can be, then Brohm would be a Matt Schaub-type who you use as a backup for a couple of years and than trade for a first round pick or to fill a need.

Damn. Two-for-two.

Rep.

Mosbonian
04-23-2008, 06:42 PM
No...no...no...no....

I have already stated my indifference with Brohm in many other threads.....think Tim Couch, David Klingler or David Carr.

mmaddog

milkman
04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Damn. Two-for-two.

Rep.

Except for that Carr point.

That Texan O-Line looked a hell of a lot better without Carr.

I always said that he made them look worse than they were.

Chiefnj2
04-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Here is a convincing argument:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8842-NFL-Boston_College_Football_-Louisville_Cardinals_Football-Matt_Ryan_vs_Brian_Brohm_Who_to_take_in_the_2008_NFL_Draft_

Mosbonian
04-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Here is a convincing argument:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8842-NFL-Boston_College_Football_-Louisville_Cardinals_Football-Matt_Ryan_vs_Brian_Brohm_Who_to_take_in_the_2008_NFL_Draft_

Check out the games that Brohm padded his stats on....the patsies that U of L played in the first part of the season, and the Syracuse game.

Brohm is a reach, it's just that no one will admit it. The only thing that the guy got right was his comment about Chad Henne and Andre Woodson.

mmaddog