PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Planet Preference for the #17 Pick in 2008 NFL Draft

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Poll to follow....based on likely availability of BAAs and position/need for the Chiefs, that may enter the equation.

Comments and thoughts on poll trends and picks.....welcomed, encouraged, and....please....entertain us.

;)

CanadaKC
04-23-2008, 09:47 PM
I have a feeling cromartie or jenkins will be there..those are my wishes

evolve27
04-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Mike Jenkins.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
offensive line!

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2008, 10:12 PM
offensive line!

I agree....for value, BAA at that point, and need....I think it's likely going to be OLine at 17 too.

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Is there anyone who believes that IF the Chiefs skip the OLine at 5....that we skip it AGAIN at 17?

I'd put money on 95% odds.....we HAVE to chose an Olineman in the first round. JMHO.

:shrug:

xbarretx
04-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Is there anyone who believes that IF the Chiefs skip the OLine at 5....that we skip it AGAIN at 17?

I'd put money on 95% odds.....we HAVE to chose an Olineman in the first round. JMHO.

:shrug:

hell why woudlnt we? we could get one without reaching or at least reaching less than #5. i agree 100% Kotter!

BigRedChief
04-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Where's the Clady option?

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Where's the Clady option?

Clady will be gone by 17, IMHO....

To your son's beloved Donks...if no one else..... ;)

Hammock Parties
04-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Chris Williams.

Anyone who says Otah loses a testicle.

HolmeZz
04-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Albert or Rodgers-Cromartie. I'll go with Albert.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Chris Williams.

Anyone who says Otah loses a testicle.

Yep. He's the best choice at that spot.

ClevelandBronco
04-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Best to let time expire.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Best to let time expire.

We are NOT the Vikings, man. :grr:

Old Dog
04-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Chris Williams......of course that's assuming they throw away the #5 by taking Gholston.

suds79
04-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Chris Williams easily. That's assuming we would land some D-linemen with our 1st pick (Gholston or Ellis)

I know people think Brandon Albert can play Tackle but his primary position (and apparently the one he's best at) is Guard. And taking a guard in the 1st round IMO is along the lines of drafting a FB... You just shouldn't do it.

The Rick
04-24-2008, 07:52 AM
I have a feeling cromartie or jenkins will be there..those are my wishes
I just don't see Herm using high draft picks on cornerbacks. I think he's of the opinion that in the Cover 2, we can find them in lower rounds.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Scouting Reports for the top-vote getters, so far....

Chris Williams
OT | (6'6", 315, 5.169) | VANDERBILT
Scouts Grade: 93
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Possesses a massive frame; is tall with good bulk, adequate arm length (33.5) and big hands (10). Displays very good overall mobility for his size, including quickness in his pass pro set. Does a very good job of using his long arms to ride pass rushers wide while he's still getting set. Displays great footwork and gets excellent hand placement. While he may not jar defenders at the point of contact, he can lock on and then sustain his blocks. He can engulf bigger defenders once he's in position and engaged. Displays versatility with experience at guard and tackle. He has been durable throughout his career.

Weaknesses: Still too much of a finesse player. Lacks explosive upper-body power. Does not jar defenders at the point of attack. Lacks the base and lower body power to drive defenders off the line of scrimmage in the run game.

Overall: Williams redshirted in 2003 and was ineligible in 2004, when he changed majors and didn't qualify to play football under Vanderbilt's stringent academic standards. In his first active season (2005), he appeared in 11 games and started the final nine at left guard, also taking game reps at left tackle. Williams moved to left tackle for good as a junior, starting all 24 games at the position over his final two seasons (2006-'07). Williams is a left tackle prospect with great feet but a bit too much finesse to his game at this point. He lacks ideal upper-body strength, which was confirmed in only 21 reps on the bench press. He also lacks ideal physicality. However, Williams possesses very good mobility for his big frame and he typically can overcome below-average strength by using excellent technique and positioning. Thanks to a productive senior season, followed by excellent showings at the Senior Bowl and combine; Williams has built tremendous momentum heading into the 2008 draft. He should be one of the top-five offensive linemen selected  likely in the middle of the first round.

:hmmm:

Branden Albert
OG | (6'5", 309, 5.169) | VIRGINIA
Scouts Grade: 93
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Is tall and thickly built. Also has long arms and big hands. Shows a quick first, takes proper angles to assignments and gets into position quickly. Plays with a mean streak and drives legs once locked onto the defender. Has very good initial quickness for his size. Shows above-average range and can pull around the edge. Shows smooth footwork getting into pass sets and shuffles feet to stay in front of defenders. Gets adequate hand placement and extends arms once in position. Keeps head up, shows good awareness and can adjust to line stunts as well as blitzes. Never missed a game because of an injury and is durable.

Weaknesses: Does not have overwhelming power and doesn't knock many defenders back with initial punch. Plays too high at times and is going to have problems driving two-gap defenders off the ball. Runs well on a straight line but has some trouble hitting the moving target. Doesn't get great knee bend in pass sets and can get pushed back into the pocket. Appears to take plays off at times and may lack ideal endurance at this point.

Overall: Albert started all 37 of Virginia's games during his three-year career (2005-07), including two at offensive tackle in 2007. He allowed just one sack and received an All-ACC honorable mention in 2006. He was a first-team All-ACC selection in '07. Bottom line: Albert needs to improve his power at the point of attack and learn to get under defenders' pads. He also is a bit inconsistent when it comes to hitting the moving target as a second level run blocker. However, he is a massive guard with very good short-area quickness and tenacity. He could possibly move to ROT in the NFL but we think he fits best inside at guard, where he should quickly develop into an upper-echelon starter. He could be the top interior offensive lineman selected in 2008 draft  no later than the second round.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I just don't see Herm using high draft picks on cornerbacks. I think he's of the opinion that in the Cover 2, we can find them in lower rounds.

That does seem to be Herm's philosophy.....

Molitoth
04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
WTF are people wanting to CONVERT a player to a new position when you have someone just as physical "Williams" that has played the position forever????

WTF are you smoking people?

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
WTF are people wanting to CONVERT a player to a new position when you have someone just as physical "Williams" that has played the position forever????

WTF are you smoking people?

If the kid is of normal or better intelligence, a change of position along the OLine isn't that big of a deal. There is a small adjustment period for some, and....yes, some players can be more "natural" at a particular position depending on the team's scheme, but good players should be able to move without too much difficulty.

Direckshun
04-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Branden Albert, OG-OT

One of the best OG prospects I've ever seen. He's a big, strong, nasty guy who can manhandle the biggest of DTs and keep the speedier rushers under wraps. You've heard it before, but once he's got his hands on you, it's over. However, he's played guard his entire career, and there is zero assurance he can make the conversion to OT. Nevermind the fact that you can find an OG in the later rounds. Never draft OG this high.

Chris Williams, OT

This guy has unbelievable measurables and should be in consideration along with Ryan Clady and Jake Long as the best possible LT prospect in this Draft (other guy for consideration: Gosder Cherilus). Williams is the man you want handling speed rushers, as there are few OT prospects with his nimbleness with his feet. Pull the trigger.

Jeff Otah, OT

Williams can be your finesse guy, and Otah can be your power guy. Few DEs are strong enough to get any movement against this gigantic OT. He's also got above-average speed to catch any speed-rusher on the flank. He's not the vocal leader that some of the other OTs are, but he's one of the best run-blocking OTs available. I'd still prefer Williams' athleticism over Otah's power, but he would be a good pick.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB

There is absolutely no prayer that DRC will be available at #17. He is more athletic than most of the NFL WRs that he'll be guarding.

Mike Jenkins, CB

Another battle-tested, tough-as-nails CB who'd be a great option for us if he fell, but he won't. And even if he does, CB is not worth a 1st in the Cover 2.

Aqib Talib, CB

CB is not worth a 1st in the Cover 2.

Keith Rivers, OLB

Out of all the names on this list, Rivers would be the first I'd pick if they were all available. You're not going to find many OLBs in this Draft with his speed and athleticism (or safeties, for that matter). He's the best OLB prospect I've seen in a couple years and you don't even think twice about pulling the trigger if he's there -- which he won't be.

Malcom Kelley, WR

Kelley will fall to us, and past us. He ran a 4.6 recently and isn't worth a 1st this early. Kelley or Sweed would not be very smart picks.

Devin Thomas, WR

This is another guy worth serious consideration. As much as I want an OT, there will be great OTs available in the 2nd and 3rd, and this team desperately needs a playmaker alongside Bowe and Gonzalez. With all the attention on those two, the addition of Thomas could threaten to make our WR corps among the league's most lethal. He's got fantastic speed, ideal hands, and he's a lot smarter than people give him credit when it comes to finding the open holes. I love this pick a lot more than most folks, and wouldn't be disappointed if the Chiefs went here.

Phillip Merling, DE

I don't think Merling would be a bad pick, but it'd be a disappointingly safe pick. I'd like to see us acquire somebody more dynamic, like Williams or Thomas or Rivers. Merling is your model citizen that you can trust to pull in better than a handful of sacks a year. He reminds me a bit of Tamba Hali in that he has the slight potential to be amazing, but more than likely he'll be a reliable 6-10 sacks a year guy and he'll pull in his fair share of tackles. I like Derrick Harvey far more with this pick if he's available.

Gosder Cherilus, OT

This would not be a bad pick, but I'd still prefer Otah and Williams over Cherilus. Cherilus is a physical beast. He's amongst the tallest OTs in this Draft and he's got the longest arms and freakishly large hands. He's very intelligent, and has extensive experience against tough competition protecting the most important QB there was in college football last year, Matt Ryan. I love him in the 2nd. I'm lukewarm about him here.

Kentwan Balmer, DT

Another guy that I love in the second, but am lukewarm about in the first. Kentwan is intended to be an incredibly shifty 3-tech that can get penetration against even the toughest OLs, but I don't see it. I see the guy get overpowered when he's lined up against similarly elite talent, and while I think he has a high ceiling for his talents, I'd like a more tenacious DT like Ellis.

Brian Brohm, QB

Brohm would not be a horrible pick, but he would be the wrong pick. Brohm has among the higher ceilings in this entire Draft, but I am not convinced he can rely on the Chiefs' coaching to bring it out of him. He's a Philip Rivers in the making; a guy with great talent who will only really excel if he's surrounded by great talent. Like Rivers, I think Brohm can get rattled too easily to waste a 1st rounder on him.

Chad Henne, QB

Way too incredibly early for this guy. Just way too early. He should be available atop the 2nd, but even then he's a reach.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, Direckshun. :thumb:

CupidStunt
04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I like Albert, Otah and Williams. Not Cherilus. I like Devin Thomas, if available. Harvey would work. Possibly Jerod Mayo, if the team likes him (I do). Mike Jenkins, if available.

That's a good list. Guarantee me any one of them now and I'll take it, knowing who else the Chiefs could reach for.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I like Albert, Otah and Williams. Not Cherilus. I like Devin Thomas, if available. Harvey would work. Possibly Jerod Mayo, if the team likes him (I do). Mike Jenkins, if available.

That's a good list. Guarantee me any one of them now and I'll take it, knowing who else the Chiefs could reach for.

The more I read about Harvey, the more he should have been on the list....though there's a good chance he may be already gone by 17.