PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Anyone else wary of trading down?

shammus
04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Tons of rumors involving KC trading down in the first round hitting this board right now. As of this post, we've still got the 5th and 17th overall pick in the first round. At this point, I'm pretty happy with that and not sure if trading down within the first round and adding to our already bloated number of 13 picks is the best thing for us. With the 5th pick, we've got a great shot at one of the 6-8 elite players in this draft. We've built up some great depth and flexibility in this draft but I think that having at least one blue-chip, impact player will help us out immensely. Plus, it gives us a standout prospect to replace Jared which helps since we've now lost, arguably, our best player.

If we did trade out of the #5 slot, I'd hope we wouldn't go down more than a slot or two as any one of those top players would help us out. I'd like to be able to pick up an Ellis or Gholston at the least to provide some immediate relief to our suddenly weakened d-line. I'd also be hesitant to trade out of the 17th slot. At that location, we're in a great spot to pick up an impact OT which is a dire need. Out of Clady, Otah, Williams, Albert, etc...at least a couple of those players will be around at the 17th spot.

Seems that this is a pretty deep draft through the top 100 players. With 6 picks in the top 100, we've already got a chance to get quite a few starters to help our team. But I feel for a true rebuild, you're going to need a couple high impact guys too and any of the top 6-8 players in this draft give us a solid shot at finding at least one immediately. I guess I just don't want to see us "overtrade" like we did one year and then end up with a duo like Kris Wilson and Junior Savaii.

StcChief
04-24-2008, 09:40 AM
always Leary of King Carl if his say counts for Pick selection.

Sure-Oz
04-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I think it would be stupid to trade down too far, only way i see us trading down is 2 spots and pickup another 2nd or 3rd rounder

Molitoth
04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Before the Allen trade I didn't mind trading down, but now we need an Elite DE and one should be availible at Pick #5. Long > Dorsey > Ellis > Gholston

If we trade down or pick Matt Ryan I think I will puke.

shammus
04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I think it would be stupid to trade down too far, only way i see us trading down is 2 spots and pickup another 2nd or 3rd rounder

Agreed. That would work as we'd still have a shot at Ellis or Gholston. However I should also add that if we're lucky enough for C. Long or Dorsey make it to #5, we need to take 'em and not even consider trading that pick.

BigRedChief
04-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd be leary of any trade involving the Pats. Pioli will make King Carl his bitch no matter how good the trade looks on draft day.

Frankie
04-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Looks like the Jets and the Patriots have contacted us about the trade. Going from 5th to 6th and still getting our guy (hopefully Chris Long) is pretty good. The Jets would want our pick in order to prevent the Pats from getting ahead of them.

noa
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Yep. Like others have said, moving down one or two spots would be fine, but that Cowboys trade would be stupid.

Adept Havelock
04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
always Leary of King Carl if his say counts for Pick selection.

[/thread]

Basileus777
04-24-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't want to trade down, especially if it means we are taking Albert.

Demonpenz
04-24-2008, 11:17 AM
maybe we can draft down enough so we can drive an entire round
and the 4th round of the draft goes too the kansas city chiefs

Sully
04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
If it were me, I'd stay.
You got the picks, and at some point you have to use them. Stay at 5 and get one of the top tier guys, then see what you have after that.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2008, 11:54 AM
If it were me, I'd stay.
You got the picks, and at some point you have to use them. Stay at 5 and get one of the top tier guys, then see what you have after that.

I'd stay, but only if Dorsey, Long, or Ellis is still available. I would look long and hard at Gholston, but.....to me he would be another undersized speed rusher (and we already have Hali.) I think we need some size on the other side....or a big push up the middle. Otherwise, we trade down....pick up another pick, and still get an OT we would have at the top of our board.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I'd stay, but only if Dorsey, Long, or Ellis is still available. I would look long and hard at Gholston, but.....to me he would be another undersized speed rusher (and we already have Hali.) I think we need some size on the other side....or a big push up the middle. Otherwise, we trade down....pick up another pick, and still get an OT we would have at the top of our board.

Vernon Gholston is faster than Jared Allen, the same size, and as strong as Tank Tyler.

He's not Carlos Hall.

Kylo Ren
04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Tons of rumors involving KC trading down in the first round hitting this board right now. As of this post, we've still got the 5th and 17th overall pick in the first round. At this point, I'm pretty happy with that and not sure if trading down within the first round and adding to our already bloated number of 13 picks is the best thing for us. With the 5th pick, we've got a great shot at one of the 6-8 elite players in this draft. We've built up some great depth and flexibility in this draft but I think that having at least one blue-chip, impact player will help us out immensely. Plus, it gives us a standout prospect to replace Jared which helps since we've now lost, arguably, our best player.

If we did trade out of the #5 slot, I'd hope we wouldn't go down more than a slot or two as any one of those top players would help us out. I'd like to be able to pick up an Ellis or Gholston at the least to provide some immediate relief to our suddenly weakened d-line. I'd also be hesitant to trade out of the 17th slot. At that location, we're in a great spot to pick up an impact OT which is a dire need. Out of Clady, Otah, Williams, Albert, etc...at least a couple of those players will be around at the 17th spot.

Seems that this is a pretty deep draft through the top 100 players. With 6 picks in the top 100, we've already got a chance to get quite a few starters to help our team. But I feel for a true rebuild, you're going to need a couple high impact guys too and any of the top 6-8 players in this draft give us a solid shot at finding at least one immediately. I guess I just don't want to see us "overtrade" like we did one year and then end up with a duo like Kris Wilson and Junior Savaii.

If we can trade down and still get the player we want, then yes, I like the idea of trading down. It could happen. It's happened before. But, we shouldn't stubbornly stick with the #5 pick and reach for someone who isn't worthy of the #5 pick.

sedated
04-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Anyone else wary of trading down?

I get wooly.

Because of all the stress.

keg in kc
04-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Not particularly, no. I think the only way we trade down is if we get a ridiculous deal.

I don't think this drafts all that "elite" at the top, either. I don't think we lose a whole lot dropping back a few spots, especially at the positions that are of greatest need to us.

Sully
04-24-2008, 12:17 PM
I get wooly.

Because of all the stress.

ROFL