PDA

View Full Version : Schmitt Prepares For Draft

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
http://www.wvmetronews.com/print.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=24528

04/24/2008
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="125"> http://www.wvmetronews.com/images/GameWeek/MNS_ShawnFalkenstein.jpg
</td> <td valign="top" height="10"> Schmitt Prepares For Draft
Shawn Falkenstein
Morgantown, W.Va.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Owen Schmitt is sweating bullets. The fullback/tight end is very nervous about the upcoming NFL draft this weekend.
"Really I just kinda want to get the process over with because it's so nerve-racking," chuckled Schmitt on Wednesday night's Metronews Statewide Sportsline. "I don't know where I'm going to be, all the way on the West Coast, here on the East Coast or even in the Midwest."
Schmitt says he really doesn't know where he'll end up. He says there are just a handful of teams that have shown real interest and need a fullback--Seattle (fullback Mack Strong retired), Kansas City, San Diego (recently released Lorenzo Neal), Cleveland and the Jets.
The advantage for Schmitt is that he is versatile. He is a punishing blocker with speed and good hands and can market himself in a variety of ways.
"A lot of teams are seeing me in different roles. With me, I think the way I market myself is fullback first and foremost, you know blocker obviously, but also I can be versatile and do other things that other teams can look at so as a whole my options are open," said Schmitt.
There really isn't much downside to Schmitt. Besides all his physical attributes he has the mindset and determination that could keep him in the league for many, many years. He's consistantly ranked as the top fullback in the draft and could go anywhere from the second round to the second day. It really doesn't matter to the former walk-on. He says he will work hard no matter what and after watching him play in the Gold and Blue for three years you would have to believe him.
Right now, Schmitt is in Morgantown working out at Milan Puskar Stadium with former teammate Marc Magro who is also hoping to hear his name called this weekend. Although Magro has admitted that things may be better for him if he goes undrafted. That would allow him to pick the team and that would increase his chance of making the roster.
Schmitt and Magro are just two of several former Mountaineers that hope to be drafted this weekend. Others include running back Steve Slaton, wideout Darius Reynaud, defensive linemen Keilen Dykes and Johnny Dingle, safeties Ryan Mundy and Eric Wicks and cornerbacks Larry Williams and Vaughn Rivers.

SBK
04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
With 13 picks I wouldn't mind seeing one used on Schmitt.

The Franchise
04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
I'll be surprised if he goes before the 4th.

The Franchise
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
With 13 picks I wouldn't mind seeing one used on Schmitt.

I thought that until we signed 14 FBs to our roster.

Ultra Peanut
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
WE NEED A NEW CRAZY WHITE GUY

Direckshun
04-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Gailey doesn't use FBs anyway.

We acquired three FA FBs, I suspect they'll just fight it out. I imagine it'll come down to special teams, which is why it's so odd we let Boomer go.