PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft The Negotiations Nix

Chief Chief
04-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Why did the NFL rule that the Rams cannot negotiate a contract in advance with a player a la the Dolphins did with Jake Long? It's their turn up to the plate. Does the NFL think it will take the luster off of draft day if the first 2, 3, or more selecting teams in the draft order pick and sign up the players of their choosing before they're officially on the clock? IMHO, it's all just wrong.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-25-2008, 09:34 AM
yea i agree, i thought it is pretty stupid. If the rams cant do it, then they shouldnt allow the dolphins to do it.

gta0012
04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Does the NFL think it will take the luster off of draft day if the first 2, 3, or more selecting teams in the draft order pick and sign up the players of their choosing before they're officially on the clock?

Would you watch the draft tomorrow if the first 10 picks are signed and with thier teams?

I wouldn't the whole idea of a draft day would be ruined if teams could trade and sign and deal with players in general before the draft.

Keep the draft as it is!!! I would even go as far as to say no official signings of the FIRST pick either!!!

The most exciting part of the draft is the very first pick and who goes....now thats just the boring oh it happened last week pick.

OmahaChief
04-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Why did the NFL rule that the Rams cannot negotiate a contract in advance with a player a la the Dolphins did with Jake Long? It's their turn up to the plate. Does the NFL think it will take the luster off of draft day if the first 2, 3, or more selecting teams in the draft order pick and sign up the players of their choosing before they're officially on the clock? IMHO, it's all just wrong.

They talked about it yesterday on Mike and Mike with Goddell. He said it wsa how the bargaining agreement was drawn up orginally and it was a loophole that has been used in the past. They are looking into changing it he said.

Mr. Laz
04-25-2008, 09:36 AM
because the NFL doesn't want the draft being finished before the draft.

The NFL draft has turn into a T.V. revenue source and if they top 5 picks are already done and signed to contracts by the time ESPN even aired the draft this it's t.v. value drops like a rock.

Rain Man
04-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I'd rather they not let anyone do it. The problem, though, is the spectacular cost and drawn-out negotiations of the top pick (or few picks). Those guys are probably more likely to hold out because they have the most money at risk and are generally dealing with the most incompetent teams. Even so, I'd rather they not let anyone make their pick before the draft.

Chiefnj2
04-25-2008, 09:50 AM
It's all about television ratings.

xbarretx
04-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd rather they not let anyone do it. The problem, though, is the spectacular cost and drawn-out negotiations of the top pick (or few picks). Those guys are probably more likely to hold out because they have the most money at risk and are generally dealing with the most incompetent teams. Even so, I'd rather they not let anyone make their pick before the draft.

i agree with the holding out part but it goes with the turf. all teams get the joys of having that pop up :doh!:

jjchieffan
04-25-2008, 09:54 AM
As long as the CBA allows for rookies to negotiate huge contracts and hold out, that teams should be able to start negotiating asap. The biggest travesty in the NFL is the number of players that jeopardize their NFL futures by not being in camp every year. I would prefer a system sets rookie salaries based on draft slot and position. If that were the case, not only would there be no need for Miami and St. Louis to negotiate before the draft, but there would be no more JaMarcus Russells, Brady Quinns, or any other players missing parts of camp due to a stupid contract hold out. I will always wonder if Sly Morris and Ryan "fatass" Simms would have had a better career had they been in camp on time. Maybe, although Bowe was late to camp, and it didn't ruin his career. But I think he is the exception, not the rule.

cdcox
04-25-2008, 10:01 AM
The NFLPA would be stupid to allow it. That would give a huge lever to the teams.

"Look, we are offering you a contract for $x. We need a decision before the draft tomorrow. If you don't want it, player y has already said they would take it. You'll get less than this anyway because of the slotting process."

It is not as big of a deal with the first pick, because there are weeks to mull things over. With a deadline of days or even hours, that becomes too big of an advantage for the owners.

What really needs to happen is a wage scale for the first contract based on draft position with lots of performance incentives.

PhillyChiefFan
04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Why even have a draft if thats the case? I look forward to this every year after the last Chiefs game is played.