PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Let the Picking Begin

keg in kc
04-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Let the Picking Begin (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/25/let_the_picking_begin/)

Apr 25, 2008, 9:41:24 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

This Saturday figures to be a very, very interesting day for the Chiefs and the team’s future. They have three of the 63 choices that will be used in the first day of the draft.

That’s three of the foundation blocks they are going to lay for the future of the franchise and its return to a position of AFC contender, not pretender.

The hard part of trying to guess who might make up that trio is this: the Chiefs have so many important needs, it’s hard to zero in on a single position.

Offensive tackle, cornerback, guard, center and now defensive end top the list. Some of those positions need more than one body.

Baring any more trading and with the NFL changes to the draft (just two rounds on the first day rather than three rounds) Saturday presents the opportunity to fill only three of those roster holes.

Here’s one man’s guess on what happens. Again, this is only a guess. Please, no wagering.

We know that OT Jake Long will be the 1st player taken; he’s already worked out a contract with Miami. It appears – one of those words that you’ll see a lot of in stories like this, appears, looks, might, could, possibly – that with the No. 2 pick, the St. Louis Rams are trying to decide between DT Glenn Dorsey and DE Chris Long. Management likes Long; the coaches like Dorsey.

With the third pick, Atlanta waits to see if the Rams take Dorsey. If they pass, then it looks like the Falcons will go with the LSU defender. If St. Louis drafts Dorsey, then where the Birds go remains a mystery. Possibly QB Matt Ryan.

At No. 4 it’s the Raiders and anything is possible when the final say belongs to Al Davis. Understand this: the relationship between Davis and Howie Long, Hall of Fame defensive end and the father of Chris Long, is not a close one. If Long was available, it would not be an automatic pick for Oakland. RB Darren McFadden makes the most sense, since he could pair with last year’s No. 1 choice JaMarcus Russell and give the Raiders a big jump on improving their offense.

Long, McFadden, DE Vernon Gholston, OT Ryan Clady; one of that group could end up going to the Raiders in that choice.

With the fifth pick, I believe the Chiefs will immediately draft Dorsey if he’s available or Chris Long if he’s there. Dorsey would simply be too good a player to pass up. Long would fill their need at defensive end. Also remember this on Long: Gunther Cunningham considers him family. Gunther and Howie Long have a very strong relationship. Plus, Long’s agent is Marvin Demoff, a good friend of Carl Peterson and they share a connection with UCLA. Signability won’t be a problem with Long.

If Dorsey and Long are gone, then the picture changes. They will probably consider Gholston, Clady and G-T Brandon Albert. This also could be the time they trade down. If Ryan, McFadden or Gholston are still available, there are teams that will start twitching. The Chiefs could probably drop a few spots and still have the chance to draft Clady or Albert.

At five, the likely candidates still available are Dorsey, Long, Albert, Gholston and Clady. It will be interesting to see who is still available to receive a ticket to Kansas City.

Where the Chiefs go with that first pick will play a part in where they go with the 17th choice they acquired from Minnesota in the Jared Allen trade. Given the talent that should be available at that time, there should be some options. Offensive tackle, cornerback and defensive end would all be likely considerations. But it all depends on who the Chiefs are able to get at No. 5. The perfect scenario would somehow see one of those choices at the fifth spot remaining on the board, but that’s probably wishful thinking.

Once the first cornerback goes off the board, somewhere between the 10th pick and the 15th choice, look for a run on that position. It always happens that way. Whether it’s Leodis McKelvin or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie first, the other will soon follow as will Mike Jenkins and Aquib Talib. It will be interesting to see who’s available.

Then 18 picks later, the Chiefs will go again with the fourth pick in the second round. That’s where they will zero in on the position they didn’t get in round one.

The Rick
04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
That does it...we're taking Matt Ryan with the #5 pick.

keg in kc
04-25-2008, 12:19 PM
The interesting thing to me (and the only reason I posted this) is the Long/Cunningham relationship. I wasn't aware of that.

Tribal Warfare
04-25-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm going to smash my T.V if Clady or are our pick in the top 10

Uncle_Ted
04-25-2008, 12:22 PM
The interesting thing to me (and the only reason I posted this) is the Long/Cunningham relationship. I wasn't aware of that.

Yeah I wonder where that came from? News to me too.

Coogs
04-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Also remember this on Long: Gunther Cunningham considers him family. Gunther and Howie Long have a very strong relationship. Plus, Long’s agent is Marvin Demoff, a good friend of Carl Peterson and they share a connection with UCLA. Signability won’t be a problem with Long.

If Long is the best football player for this team, I am all for it. If this turns out to be the "good old boy" system we are going to use to rebuild the team, then I am convinced we will have to wait a few years before this team really makes strides to improve.

Tribal Warfare
04-25-2008, 12:27 PM
If Long is the best football player for this team, I am all for it. If this turns out to be the "good old boy" system we are going to use to rebuild the team, then I am convinced we will have to wait a few years before this team really makes strides to improve.

In this instance Chris Long might very well be the BPA even with the ties.

bowener
04-25-2008, 12:29 PM
yeah, didnt goonthur coach howie in the NFL?
I want me a dorsey or long.... thats it.

edit: Oh yeah, an Ellis too.

BigChiefFan
04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
It's better than his last article, but he's still an oaf to me.

blueballs
04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
I thought Gun made the comment
that Howie would not like it if he drafted Chris
must have been an inside joke

keg in kc
04-25-2008, 12:31 PM
If Long is the best football player for this team, I am all for it. If this turns out to be the "good old boy" system we are going to use to rebuild the team, then I am convinced we will have to wait a few years before this team really makes strides to improve.There are teams that supposedly have Long rated at the top of their board, and he's a consensus top-5 pick in just about every mock I've seen. I don't think that's something we need to worry about...

I also think there's about an 0.5% chance he's still on the board. Although stranger things have happened.

Coogs
04-25-2008, 12:33 PM
In this instance Chris Long might very well be the BPA even with the ties.

I understand that. But if we get to pick #17, and we take a DE from somewhere because Gun liked him because he could spit chewing tobacco like a real man or something.... :cuss:

Coogs
04-25-2008, 12:36 PM
And there is more to it than just the Gun angle as well. If we start making our picks on who the agent is... I just get a bad feeling we are going to choke this thig all over the place. This is one thread I wish I would have never opened.

I was pretty optomistic things were changing up at Arrowhead. This makes me feel like things are status quo.

HemiEd
04-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I understand that. But if we get to pick #17, and we take a DE from somewhere because Gun liked him because he could spit chewing tobacco like a real man or something.... :cuss:

You know them well.

splatbass
04-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I was pretty optomistic things were changing up at Arrowhead. This makes me feel like things are status quo.

Because of pure speculation?

Mr. Laz
04-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Signability won’t be a problem with Long. (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/25/let_the_picking_begin/)

right :rolleyes:

the Talking Can
04-25-2008, 12:58 PM
"This Saturday figures to be a very, very interesting day for the Chiefs and the team’s future. They have three of the 63 choices that will be used in the first day of the draft."

"Then 18 picks later, the Chiefs will go again with the fourth pick in the second round."

...that's the kind of profound insight that only a paid KC journalist could provide....

Chiefs Pantalones
04-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Just say no to Chris Long. He's a white Tamba Hali. If Gholston is there at 5 we better grab him.

beach tribe
04-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Just say no to Chris Long. He's a white Tamba Hali. If Gholston is there at 5 we better grab him.

Say no Gholston, he's a black Brian Bosworth.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Say no Gholston, he's a black Brian Bosworth.

lol touche.

I just hope the Chiefs don't mess up all these picks. With 13, and possibly more, Carl and company would have to really be bad to mess this up. We should at least find three good players in this draft...at least...

Lonewolf Ed
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Having all these draft picks is great. But, what happens when Carl pisses off the next crop of draftees, and we have to jettison them like Jared Allen? I have little hope or expectations for the Chiefs as long as Carl is King.