PDA

View Full Version : Draft Tidbits

vailpass
04-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Draft tidbits

* Packers general manager Ted Thompson has overseen eight drafts as a personnel executive and has traded down 14 times. He has traded up, uh, zero times.

* Most in the league expect the first three rounds to include some unexpected selections because more teams than ever are primed to draft early for need instead of the best player on the board.

* Watch the effect of off-field woes in the current league climate on Mario Manningham. The wide receiver handed out a letter at his Pro Day in which he basically admitted to failing two drug tests at Michigan and that he had lied to every team he talked to at the combine about his 2007 suspension: He had said it was because of work ethic when it was actually the failed drug tests.

NUMBERS GAME

2 Division I-AA players in the past 10 years have been among the first 30 draft selections - cornerback Rashard Anderson (No. 23, Carolina, 2000) and wide receiver Sylvester Morris (No. 21, Kansas City, 2000), both from Jackson State. Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco is hoping to become the third.

ALMOST PERFECT

Michigan tackle Jake Long is so disciplined and skilled that he was penalized only twice in 42 college games.

He was called for holding as a freshman - he started 10 games at right tackle that season - and for a false start in 2007.

ON SHAKY GROUND

The University of Miami has had a player taken in the first round of 13 consecutive drafts, but that streak is in jeopardy.

By their previous standards, the Hurricanes' draft crop is thin, and most teams rate defensive end Calais Campbell, a Denver native, and safety Kenny Phillips as early second-round picks with slight opportunities to sneak into the first round.

HE SAID IT

"I take it personally. I wanted to make sure that I was perfect and not let up a sack, but Vernon is a great player and he had a good move on me and I let it up."

Long, whom the Dolphins signed as the No. 1 pick, on surrendering one sack in '07, to Ohio State's Vernon Gholston.

THE LONG AND THE SHORTLIST OF IT

Virginia defensive end Chris Long will join some select company this weekend - draftees whose fathers have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Father Inducted Son Drafted Team

Tony Dorsett 1994 Anthony Dorsett 1996 Houston

Bob Griese 1990 Brian Griese 1998 Broncos

Don Shula 1997 Mike Shula 1987 Tampa Bay

Kellen Winslow 1995 Kellen Winslow 2004 Cleveland

Howie Long 2000 Chris Long 2008 -

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/24/legwold-broncos-give-vet-robertson-a-shot/

DT Fan
04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Mario Manningham thought that being suspended for poor work ethic would be better for his chances than being suspended for smoking marijuana? No wonder he scored only a 6 on the Wonderlic.