04-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Rick Gosselin's final NFL mock draft

11:05 PM CDT on Friday, April 25, 2008

By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News
rgosselin@dallasnews.com

Team Needs Selection
1. Miami OT, OLB, WR, QB Jake Long, OT,
Michigan
Comment: Long was a four-year starter at Michigan. With a new five-year contract from the Dolphins, expect him to extend his starting streak to nine consecutive years. Look for him to mix in a few Pro Bowl appearances.
2. St. Louis OT, DT, CB, WR Chris Long, DE,
Virginia
Comment: The Rams covet Long and the Falcons covet Glenn Dorsey, but on most draft boards the order is flipped. Don't be surprised if the Falcons trade up one spot for the right to select Dorsey. That would solve a problem for both teams.
3. Atlanta MLB, QB, OT, DT Glenn Dorsey, DT,
LSU
Comment: If the Falcons don't come away with Dorsey, they will explore trading down. New coach Mike Smith has a defensive background and saw what dominant defensive tackles did for his old team, the Jacksonville Jaguars.
4. Oakland OL, DL, offensive speed Darren McFadden, HB,
Arkansas
Comment: Al Davis is a size/speed advocate. McFadden fills the bill. The Raiders also would entertain a pass rusher, Chris Long, if he falls, and Vernon Gholston. In the end, the Raiders take the best value on the board.
5. Kansas City DE, OT, CB, KR Chris Williams, OT,
Vanderbilt
Comment: The Chiefs have two glaring needs – offensive tackle and defensive end with the departure of Pro Bowl pass rusher Jared Allen. If they wait on the offensive tackle, they miss out. Six could go in the first round.
6. NY Jets CB, OT, DE, QB Vernon Gholston, DE,
Ohio State
Comment: The Jets managed only 29 sacks last season. They need to tackle more quarterbacks and force more turnovers to again become a contender in the AFC East. Gholston is the best pass rusher in this draft with 14 sacks in 2007.
7. New England DL, LB, CB, OT Sedrick Ellis, DT,
Southern California
Comment: Ellis doesn't fit the 3-4 defensive scheme of the Patriots, but his arrival would give them the option of playing some 4-3. He's the best defensive player on the board, and coach Bill Belichick rarely passes up value.
8. Baltimore QB, CB, OT, WR Matt Ryan, QB,
Boston College
Comment: If Ryan doesn't slide to the Ravens at No. 8, they will explore trading out. With the retirement of Steve McNair, quarterback shot to the top of the list of priorities. Ryan posted a 25-7 record at Boston College.
9. Cincinnati DT, WR, RB, DE Derrick Harvey, DE,
Florida
Comment: When you rank 27th in the NFL in defense, just about any defender you draft is an instant upgrade. The Bengals have an opening at end with the departure of Justin Smith in free agency. Harvey is a definite upgrade.
10. New Orleans DT, CB, LB, TE Leodis McKelvin, CB,
Troy
Comment: If the Saints fail to trade up for Ellis, they will look to upgrade themselves at cornerback. McKelvin is the most physical of the corners and also the best kick returner in the draft.
11. Buffalo WR, CB, LB, TE Devin Thomas, WR,
Michigan State
Comment: The NFL's 30th-ranked passing attack needs to get bigger, stronger, tougher, more talented and more productive on the flank. Thomas is the most physical receiver in this draft, not to mention the most talented.
12. Denver OT, DE, RB, KR Ryan Clady, OT,
Boise State
Comment: Mike Shanahan has always been able to help average backs flourish because he fielded one of the NFL's best offensive lines. But his current offensive front doesn't push anyone around. Enter the 6-6 Clady.
13. Carolina DE, OT, TE, RB Jeff Otah, OT,
Pittsburgh
Comment: Watching the New York Giants win a Super Bowl reminded Panthers coach (and former Giants assistant) John Fox what it takes to win in the NFL. Dominate both sides of the ball. Otah is the best run blocker in this draft.
14. Chicago OT, WR, RB, TE Branden Albert, OL,
Virginia
Comment: The Bears played power football on the way to the Super Bowl in 2006. But there was a power shortage in 2007 when the Bears finished 30th in the NFL in rushing. Better blocking will make Cedric Benson a better runner.
15. Detroit Defense, RB, OT Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB,
Tennessee State
Comment: Like the Bengals, anyone the Lions draft on the defensive side of the ball would be an upgrade. Rodgers-Cromartie is the most athletic corner on the board blending size (6-1), speed (4.33) and play-making ability.
16. Arizona RB, CB, LB Mike Jenkins, CB,
South Florida
Comment: The Cardinals need to tighten up the NFL's 28th-ranked pass defense. Jenkins is the most ready to play of the three elite cornerbacks in this draft. If you can't play pass defense in the NFC West, you cannot succeed.
17. Kansas City DE, OT, CB, KR Keith Rivers, LB,
Southern California
Comment: The Chiefs want a defensive end, but Rivers is just too good a value to pass up here. He's the slider and would give them a superb set of bookends at linebacker along with Derrick Johnson.
18. Houston OT, CB, Pass rusher Rashard Mendenhall, HB,
Illinois
Comment: Houston is desperate for an offensive left tackle, but the draft board drains five of them before the Texans can go on the clock. Like Rivers, Mendenhall is just too good a value to pass up here.
19. Philadelphia OT, DL, CB Aqib Talib, CB,
Kansas
Comment: With big receivers Plaxico Burress and Terrell Owens dominating in the NFC East, the Eagles need a big cornerback to combat them. Talib is that guy in this draft at 6-0½, 202 pounds.
20. Tampa Bay Offensive speed, CB, DT Jonathan Stewart, HB,
Oregon
Comment: Had Stewart not undergone toe surgery in March, he likely would have been a top 10 pick. He averaged 6.2 yards per carry in 2007 and would ease the burden on quarterback Jeff Garcia to make all the plays that win games.
21. Washington DE, DT, OL, WR Phillip Merling, DE,
Clemson
Comment: When you have a 35-year-old starting defensive end, you need to start looking for his replacement. North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer also is a consideration here, but the need is at end, not tackle.
22. Dallas RB, WR, CB, OL Felix Jones, HB,
Arkansas
Comment: Jones can be the type of speed complement to Marion Barber that Julius Jones was these last few years. Felix Jones led the NCAA with an average of 8.7 yards per carry and also averaged 29 yards on kickoff returns.
23. Pittsburgh OT, CB, WR, RB Jerod Mayo, LB,
Tennessee
Comment: The Steelers have 10 starters back from the NFL's top-ranked defense. Linebacker Clark Haggans departed in free agency. This pick marries ability with need – Mayo can be a walk-in starter for the Steelers.
24. Tennessee RB, WR, G, TE James Hardy, WR,
Indiana
Comment: The Titans are desperate for play-makers to lighten the offensive load of quarterback Vince Young. At 6-5, Hardy can provide Young a huge target, so his inaccuracies as a passer won't be as glaring.
25. Seattle OL, DL, CB, WR Chad Henne, QB,
Michigan
Comment: If you don't see any immediate help on the draft board, select someone who can brighten your future. The Seahawks have no glaring holes. But Matt Hasselbeck is 33 this season. Henne gives them security at quarterback.
26. Jacksonville DT, DE, CB, LB Quentin Groves, DE,
Auburn
Comment: The Jaguars took a couple hits up front, losing end Bobby McCray in free agency and trading tackle Marcus Stroud. On a draft board with so little speed, Groves stands out as a blazer with his 4.57 40 clocking.
27. San Diego OT, RB, CB, DL Gosder Cherilus, OT,
Boston College
Comment: The Chargers have only two offensive tackles currently on the roster. Like left tackle Marcus McNeill, Cherilus could become a walk-in starter at San Diego. He started 51 consecutive games at Boston College.
28. Dallas RB, WR, CB, OL Brandon Flowers, CB,
Virginia Tech
Comment: Flowers is the most technically sound of the five top cornerbacks in this draft. But he's also the smallest (5-9½) and slowest (4.59 speed in the 40). He broke up 18 passes in 2006 and 14 more in 2007.
29. San Francisco WR, OL, DL, QB Kentwan Balmer, DT,
North Carolina
Comment: Like Rivers to Kansas Cty at 17, Balmer is a case of sliding value. Coach Mike Nolan's background is on defense, but the 49ers have struggled on that side of the ball. You can never have enough quality defensive linemen.
30. Green Bay CB, Pass rusher, TE, OT Dustin Keller, TE,
Purdue
Comment: The Packers must do everything in their power to give Aaron Rodgers a chance to succeed at quarterback. You do that by upgrading the supporting cast. Keller is the best pass-catching tight end in this draft.
31. NY Giants OT, WR, CB, Safety Tyrell Johnson, S,
Arkansas State
Comment: The Giants lost starting safety Gibril Wilson in free agency to the Raiders. Johnson is the fastest (4.43 speed) of the three elite safeties in this draft and the best ballhawk with 13 career interceptions.

OTHER TEAMS WITHOUT FIRST-ROUND SELECTIONS:
SECOND ROUND
47. Minnesota WR, OT, CB, Safety Eddie Royal, WR,
Virginia Tech
Comment: The Vikings traded away their first pick in the Jared Allen deal. Quarterback Travis Jackson could use some speed on the flank, and Royal also gives them an elite kick returner. That allows them to compete with the Bears.
59. Indianapolis OL, DL, WR, Pass rusher Mike Pollak, C,
Arizona State
Comment: Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday is 33 years old this season. No one in the NFL drafts and develops linemen like the Colts, who started a fourth-, fifth- and sixth-round draft pick on the Super Bowl championship team.
FOURTH ROUND
122. Cleveland Pass rusher, ILB, CB, WR Mario Manningham, WR,
Michigan
Comment: The Browns traded away their first pick to Dallas, their second pick to Green Bay and third pick to Detroit. Cleveland had good luck with one wideout from Michigan – Braylon Edwards. They'll get Manningham at a discounted rate.

SBK
04-25-2008, 10:10 PM
GAG.

JBucc
04-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Meltdown commence!

eazyb81
Hmmmm......

:cuss:

aturnis
Yeah...so....awkward huh?

noa
04-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Wow, passing on Gholston, Ellis, and Ryan for a guy I've never seen in anyone's top 5. I think the highest I saw Williams going was to Denver.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Ellis and Cherilus are far better picks in that scenario.

eazyb81
04-25-2008, 10:14 PM
It's official: no one has a clue what we're doing.

All we've heard for the last week or two is how much we love Albert. So Gosselin has us biting the bullet for an OT at 5, and gives us Williams?

Brock
04-25-2008, 10:15 PM
:(

Hoover
04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
I just don't think anyone has a clue this year because the draft is deep and the top so unsettled.

JBucc
04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
I'll await Scott Wright's final mock. If he has us taking Williams too, I think I'll just go to sleep and not wake up tomorrow.

kstater
04-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Even with the new server, this place crashes with a Williams/Rivers combo in the 1st.

melbar
Color me underwhelmed...

SBK
It's official: no one has a clue what we're doing.

All we've heard for the last week or two is how much we love Albert. So Gosselin has us biting the bullet for an OT at 5, and gives us Williams?

I really think we've done a good job of confusing the media this year....

Mecca
04-25-2008, 10:21 PM
The first pick is blah, but Keith Rivers is an absolute steal at 17 he is by far the best player on the board..

If you'd rather take a guy like Cherilus over Rivers you're NUTS.

Mecca
04-25-2008, 10:24 PM
To add to what I said, regardless of who that first pick is, if Keith Rivers is at 17 you run up and take him it doesn't matter, he shouldn't be there at 17 I'd take him at 9 or 10 if I had one of those picks.

Hoover
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I love landing Rivers but it sucks that we seem to get screwed with the 5th pick. We need to just bite the bullet and draft Ellis

Hammock Parties
04-25-2008, 10:28 PM
I love landing Rivers but it sucks that we seem to get screwed with the 5th pick. We need to just bite the bullet and draft Ellis

I think the Chiefs are high on tank and turk.

the Talking Can
04-25-2008, 10:28 PM
that sucks cock

Mecca
04-25-2008, 10:30 PM

I just want you to tell me how in the hell Cherilus is a better pick than Keith Rivers.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2008, 10:32 PM
I just want you to tell me how in the hell Cherilus is a better pick than Keith Rivers.

It's a better pick for the Chiefs. OT is a bigger need and at 17 I don't see Cherilus as a reach.

Mecca
04-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Keith Rivers is going to be a star pro bowl player.....I don't care what your need is.

the Talking Can
04-25-2008, 10:39 PM
i guess if you just imagine it was rivers then williams in your mind...not as bad..

but passing on ellis/gholston for williams, when you could get Baker or another tackle later, stings a little...

noa
04-25-2008, 10:40 PM

Then we should take Gholston.

the Talking Can
04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
and if we're hell bent on reaching for ol, better williams than clady, i think...

the Talking Can
04-25-2008, 10:45 PM
and we could trade down with baltimore if we wanted williams

jesus, i have no idea what we're going to do tomorrow....

JBucc
04-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I guess since he doesn't predict trades this might mean if he's right we're targeting Williams and will probably attempt to trade down and pick him.

Mecca
04-25-2008, 10:46 PM
and if we're hell bent on reaching for ol, better williams than clady, i think...

Well yea, but it still looks bad when you realize you could have Gholston/Rivers and set that D for a long long time.

I know we need OL but to me the Chiefs get 2 of the top 8 players in the draft with Gholston/Rivers, if you can do that you worry about OL later.

markk
04-25-2008, 11:15 PM
it would almost be more plausible if the two were reversed

Tribal Warfare
04-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Or trade up from the #17 spot.

raypec85
04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I would be happy with these two players as long as it involves a trade down from the # 5 pick. If KC picks up Williams with a pick in the 7 - 10 range it wouldn't be as much of a reach and definitely fills a clear need. If they want to be sure they get one of the top tier tackles they probably need to get one b4 picks 12 - 14. The Keith Rivers pick at 17 is awesome - wouldn't change a thing there. There will still be a good DE available with the Chiefs' 2nd round pick. CB's and WR's are deep enough they can fill that need in round 3. Center / Guard / Kicker can be addressed in the later rounds.

The other option would be to select Ellis 1st (I prefer him over Ghoulston) but then they will be taking a risk of missing the top tier OT's unless they find a way to trade up from 17, especially if they want one who can play LT.

Ultra Peanut
04-25-2008, 11:47 PM
5. Kansas City DE, OT, CB, KR Chris Williams, OT,
Vanderbilt
Comment: The Chiefs have two glaring needs – offensive tackle and defensive end with the departure of Pro Bowl pass rusher Jared Allen. If they wait on the offensive tackle, they miss out. Six could go in the first round.Mother****ing WHAT?

Williams is my favorite tackle prospect, but WHAT?

There will still be a good DE available with the Chiefs' 2nd round pick. Good DE (2nd) vs. god DE (#5).

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Williams is my favorite OT out of this draft but at 5. Good to hear though we are targeting him.

OnTheWarpath15
04-26-2008, 03:39 AM

I guess since he doesn't predict trades this might mean if he's right we're targeting Williams and will probably attempt to trade down and pick him.

My thought exactly, and while it's not the sexy pick, it's MUCH better than Clady or Otah at that spot, which has been discussed ad nauseum.

Chiefnj2
04-26-2008, 05:36 AM
With Gosselin and NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN being so different you know that it will be an interesting draft.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2008, 08:30 AM
i'm ok with Chris Williams ........................... at #17

i'm even ok if we trade up a few spots from 17 to get williams

but at #5 ........... no thanks