PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Mike Mayock >>>>> Mel Kiper

jAZ
04-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Get the NFL Network so you don't ever have to watch Kiper again.

JMO.

CanadianChief
04-26-2008, 03:04 PM
I've been watching the entire draft on the NFL Network. Is it just me or did they not talk about Dorsey at all after the Chiefs picked him at 5. All they showed was Deion talking with him...no film or nothing.

kcxiv
Mayok is nailing his picks. He is a bad ass.

noa
I'm just watching it online. Mayock has been really accurate.

siberian khatru
04-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I've been watching ESPN out of habit, but you've convinced me. I switched to NFL Network.

Buehler445
04-26-2008, 03:06 PM

JMO.

QFT

kcchuck
Watching both, Mayock right on the money so far.

DJ's left nut
Agreed, NFL network rocks.

alanm
04-26-2008, 03:07 PM

JMO.
There's no comparison. :clap:

jAZ
04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm just watching it online. Mayock has been really accurate.

And he's not a giant turd in a pompador.

tomahawk kid
04-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Amen.

Mayock is better and isn't even close to being as arrogant Mel.

jAZ
04-26-2008, 11:40 PM
The quote of the post-draft show so far was Casserly saying (paraphrase) "... the only person having a better draft than Kansas City is Mike Mayock who is far and away knows more about NFL players than anyone else television."

I had never heard of this guy before today, but he quickly earned my respect.

Was he a scout or something?

Brock
04-26-2008, 11:42 PM
I watched ESPN today. The coverage was almost amateurish. I mean everything, technical aspects, everything.

Basileus777
04-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Mayock was on fire today. His mock was great and he was calling all the picks right before they went down.

The NFLN broadcast was vastly superior to ESPN's. Its nice seeing guys actually talk about football X&Os rather than idiots spout cliches and ramble about nothing.

keg in kc
04-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Tell that to Time Warner f*cking Cable.

Basileus777
04-26-2008, 11:47 PM

I hear you, I have Time Warner here at school. I ended up watching the NFLN broadcast online.

Dayze
04-27-2008, 12:21 AM
even my wife commented several times "man, this guy is right all the time"

This was the first year I watched the draft on NFLN exclusively; last year I flipped back and forth between it, and EPSN.

By far, their coverage blew my previous EPSN experiences out of the water.

Plus, i didn't need to listen to Kiper, Berman, and Keyshawn....why Keyshawn is there I have no idea.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Mayock did a damn good job.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2008, 12:24 AM

JMO.

I like Kiper.

He's like Dick Vitale or Billy Packer or Al McGuire or Howard Cosell.

No matter how much you love him or hate him, he's always there. He's tradition.

IMO, there's something fun about that.

Basileus777
04-27-2008, 12:26 AM
I like Kiper.

I prefer Mayock, but Kiper is still pretty good. My problem isn't with Kiper, its with the idiots around him.

ChiefaRoo
04-27-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't think Chris Berman has given a crap about the draft for over 10 years. When he started doing baseball I think he lost interest in Football and feels the draft is a drag. He's sucked ever since. The NFL Network is superior.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2008, 12:32 AM
I don't think Chris Berman has given a crap about the draft for over 10 years. When he started doing baseball I think he lost interest in Football and feels the draft is a drag. He's sucked ever since. The NFL Network is superior.

"Boomer" hasn't been worth a damn in over a decade. Talk about phoning it in.

The only drag about the NFL Network broadcast was that it wasn't in HD.

It looked like shit, even on Direct TV channel 212.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2008, 12:32 AM
I like Kiper.

I agree. Mayock is great. Kiper is a staple. I flipped back and forth today.

DaneMcCloud
04-27-2008, 12:33 AM
I prefer Mayock, but Kiper is still pretty good. My problem isn't with Kiper, its with the idiots around him.

Mayock's been more accurate in terms of predicting who each team will pick (and his player evaluations have been excellent), I miss the quirkiness of Mel and his house of hair.

Miles
04-27-2008, 02:32 AM

Same here. Kiper is one of the few things I actually like about the ESPN coverage.

Miles
04-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Mayock's been more accurate in terms of predicting who each team will pick (and his player evaluations have been excellent), I miss the quirkiness of Mel and his house of hair.

I mostly miss his post pick comments. NFN Network seemed a bit dry in that aspect but covered it well enough.

Miles
04-27-2008, 02:35 AM

It looked like shit, even on Direct TV channel 212.

Yeah what the hell was that?

And yeah Berman is unbearable these days. Almost makes me instantly want to change the channel.

Chief_in_Commander
04-27-2008, 03:25 AM
i didn't get to watch NFLN so that sux as it sounds like it was far and away better, but man did the espn crew just studder and ramble about the stupidest crap. Keyshawn is unbearable, if he doesn't shut up about recievers I swear im going to gouge out my eye with a pop bottle lid

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2008, 04:51 AM
I only flipped to ESPN for commercials this year, and there really was no comparison. It's amazing how bad NFLN made them look.

Mayock struck me as a bit of a goof (on a superficial level) when he showed up on NFL Network two or three years ago, but he really knows his stuff.

Buns
04-27-2008, 04:52 AM
I watched espn because its in HD and NFLN isn't, but I much prefer Eisen and his crew. Did anyone else notice that Kiper didn't have much talk time? Every time he was motioned to say something, he was like "Oh you want me to say something?" I think he is pissed about McShay getting the draft guru numero uno status.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2008, 07:50 AM
"

They do broaccast in HD, if you have Dish Network, Direct TV or AT&T Uverse.

eazyb81
04-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Sorry, but I love Kiper. Mayock definitely knows his shit, but for me, the draft isn't the draft without Kiper. It's obvious ESPN has told him to tone it down in recent years, because he used to just routinely bash teams. I grew up watching the draft with Kiper, and I can't change now.

He's certainly not always right, but he's passionate about what he thinks and knows the players. Frankly, I would like ESPN's coverage more if Mort and Keyshawn were gone and it was just Kiper, Berman, and maybe Jaws.

milkman
04-27-2008, 08:18 AM
I don't dislike ESPN because of the personalities.

I dislike it because they don't really cover the draft.

After about the 10th pick or so, they start showing these videos they;ve prepared for certain players.

They tell us all about those players, from what they can do on the field to what their favorite ****ing popcorn is, or some stupid shit like that.

Then they go to commercials.

By the time they get back to the actual draft, 8,9, 10 players have been selected, and they simply update us with a list.

Then it's back to player profiles.

Goddamn it.

I don't ****ing care that Jake Long uses ****ing Charmin to wipe his ass after he shits.

I turn on the draft to watch the ****ing draft you dumbass muther****ers.

eazyb81
04-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah, it seems like ESPN is trying to cater to the casual fan, rather than the hardcore draft fan.

Honestly, I would be perfectly content with Kiper and Trey Wingo sitting at a card table and just talking about each pick as it's announced. I don't need Keyshawn, Chris Carter, Mort, and a rountable of newspaper columnists talking about everything under the sun.

milkman
04-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, it seems like ESPN is trying to cater to the casual fan, rather than the hardcore draft fan.

Honestly, I would be perfectly content with Kiper and Trey Wingo sitting at a card table and just talking about each pick as it's announced. I don't need Keyshawn, Chris Carter, Mort, and a rountable of newspaper columnists talking about everything under the sun.

And after the first couple of rounds, the casual fan is off golfing, or fishing, or stroking his stick, or something other than watching the draft.

crazycoffey
04-27-2008, 08:33 AM
I miss NFL network....

and the DVR

Skip Towne
04-27-2008, 08:36 AM

Friends don't let friends watch cable.