PDA

View Full Version : Royals I think I've just seen the best play eva live.

wutamess
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
That Pena play on his knees was the best play I've seen ever live on T.V.

I'm sure it'll be sports center #1 tonight.

Gonzo
04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Reposte Gracias.

tk13
04-26-2008, 08:35 PM
They're saying on one of the Royals boards that Frank White called it the greatest defensive play he's ever seen. And that is high, high praise.

Deberg_1990
04-26-2008, 08:36 PM
They're saying on one of the Royals boards that Frank White called it the greatest defensive play he's ever seen. And that is high, high praise.

Whoa....

Now, i have to see it.

Reaper16
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
It was a really, really amazing play. TJP ha dto throw diagonally across his body to 1st from his knees after catching the ball while on his ass in order to protect the one run lead.

xbarretx
04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
dang .... youtube should post these things faster :cuss:

Sully
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
It was a good play.
Nothing, though, will ever beat out the play Bo Jackson made throwing out Harold Reynold at home.

xbarretx
04-26-2008, 08:50 PM
It was a good play.
Nothing, though, will ever beat out the play Bo Jackson made throwing out Harold Reynold at home.

frozen rope........ not even ANTIFREEZE could of stopped that one!

petegz28
04-26-2008, 09:07 PM
That Pena play on his knees was the best play I've seen ever live on T.V.

I'm sure it'll be sports center #1 tonight.

I was there and everyones jaw was on the ground. That was one of the best plays I have ever seen in my life.

KcMizzou
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
dang .... youtube should post these things faster :cuss:No shit... I wanna see.

petegz28
04-26-2008, 09:13 PM
The funny part is Pena made an error on a routine DP that allowed the Jays to tie the game. He also had a killer triple too. So Pena played well tonight and made up for the error in spades.

Skip Towne
04-26-2008, 09:19 PM
It was a good play.

I remember Denny Matthews saying " Does that guy have muscles and tendons or cable and pulleys?"

T-post Tom
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Just got back from the game. Great play to be sure, but not the greatest ever. TPJ really needed that because he was sucking ass at the plate and in the field prior to that. He bobbled an easy double play for no outs. He also cranked a triple (his best hit of the year), but got thrown out at home on some horrible base running. That play may have saved him from getting shipped to Omaha. For now. I'm glad he made the nice play and hope he figures out how to get his average above .200.

petegz28
04-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Just got back from the game. Great play to be sure, but not the greatest ever. TPJ really needed that because he was sucking ass at the plate and in the field prior to that. He bobbled an easy double play for no outs. He also cranked a triple (his best hit of the year), but got thrown out at home on some horrible base running. That play may have saved him from getting shipped to Omaha. For now. I'm glad he made the nice play and hope he figures out how to get his average above .200.

Sorry guy, that ranks up there with one of the greatest plays ever. I ask you name one play right now that is comparable?

markk
04-26-2008, 09:22 PM
He moved to his right and backward, onto the grass, and after making the stop he was on his knees and facing the wrong direction. And he threw from his knees over to first to get the out. It was one of those things that you could do a hundred times and not get the throw right. I don't know if it was the best play I ever saw but it was pretty darn impressive

petegz28
04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
He moved to his right and backward, onto the grass, and after making the stop he was on his knees and facing the wrong direction. And he threw from his knees over to first to get the out. It was one of those things that you could do a hundred times and not get the throw right. I don't know if it was the best play I ever saw but it was pretty darn impressive

And it's not like it was Buck or Butler lumering down the line...it was an average to above average runner. The play was clutch and one for the tapes.

markk
04-26-2008, 09:50 PM
gonna be on ESPN in a second i bet

markk
04-26-2008, 09:53 PM
#2 on the top 10.

behind some dopey motocross jump

xbarretx
04-26-2008, 09:53 PM
gonna be on ESPN in a second i bet

#2 baby woot wOOt :clap:

markk
04-26-2008, 09:54 PM
i wish i could watch it again, just a sick sick throw

xbarretx
04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
i wish i could watch it again, just a sick sick throw

i can .. DVR ;)

bkkcoh
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
TPJ Play (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200804262596205)

L.A. Chieffan
04-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Sheet what about another Royal, Bo Jacksons catch and then run across the wall? Or Kevin Mitchell's bare-handed catch? Sheet Lastings Miledges catch a couple of years ago in the playoffs was crazy because of the satakes. You guys have weak memories.

T-post Tom
04-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Sorry guy, that ranks up there with one of the greatest plays ever. I ask you name one play right now that is comparable?

Here you go: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/167638/rick_monday_tribute_1976/

:)

petegz28
04-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Here you go: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/167638/rick_monday_tribute_1976/

:)

Yeah 1976. In other words this wasn't just some great play. I am not saying it is the greatest play ever. Just one of very few. Sorry man you aren't going to see a play like that ever again.

DJ's left nut
04-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Best play ever, not even close:

Ozzie Smith v. Jeff Burroughs. Anyone that's ever seen it knows it already.

Burroughs ropes one up the middle, Smith dives for it and the ball hits a rock, taking a wicked bounce back across Ozzie's body. The guy insinctively reaches back while still parallel to the ground and snags it with his bare hand. He hits the ground, comes up gunning and nails Burroughs by 3 steps.

If you have not seen this play, you will not believe it. If you have seen this play, you already know that the argument is closed. It's unreal.

Found it: Lousy video though. 8 seconds in. Furcal could make the play that Pena made, it was a play that most any SS with a strong arm could have made. No other SS in ML history makes the play Ozzie made on Burroughs.

<object width="432" height="351"><param name="movie" value="http://www.megavideo.com/v/RDPY9Q9W322a0ce0468daafe0df3e8a226bc985f.52042992.0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.megavideo.com/v/RDPY9Q9W322a0ce0468daafe0df3e8a226bc985f.52042992.0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="432" height="351"></embed></object>

xbarretx
04-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah 1976. In other words this wasn't just some great play. I am not saying it is the greatest play ever. Just one of very few. Sorry man you aren't going to see a play like that ever again.

and i cant find the Bo vid ANYWHERE :deevee:

petegz28
04-26-2008, 10:33 PM

Burroughs ropes one up the middle, Smith dives for it and the ball hits a rock, taking a wicked bounce back across Ozzie's boddie. The guy insinctively reaches back while still parallel to the ground and snags it with his bare hand. He hits the ground, comes up gunning and nails Burroughs by 3 steps.

If you have not seen this play, you will not believe it. If you have seen this play, you already know that the argument is closed. It's unreal.

And like Pena's you will never see a play like that again.

mikey23545
04-26-2008, 10:36 PM
TPJ Play (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200804262596205)

That was ****ing sick.

Yeah, I'm an old man, and that was one of the more striking plays I've ever seen.

doomy3
04-26-2008, 10:39 PM
The amazing thing about the play is the strength on the throw and how fast he got the throw off. Amazing.

petegz28
04-26-2008, 10:43 PM
The amazing thing about the play is the strength on the throw and how fast he got the throw off. Amazing.

Swear to God, when he made the error I told my wife if that had been hit behind Gordon he would of snagged it and made some all-world play.

Little did I know what awaited... :D

DJ's left nut
04-26-2008, 10:43 PM
And like Pena's you will never see a play like that again.

Not true at all.

I've seen Rey Ordonez make that play, I've seen Furcal make that play and I saw Izturis make a similar play with the Dodgers. I'll see someone else make that play within the next 2 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great play, one you certainly don't see often, but in the end its a play that any ML SS with a very strong arm can make. There are about 5 guys in the league that could pull it off today.

petegz28
04-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Not true at all.

I've seen Rey Ordonez make that play, I've seen Furcal make that play and I saw Izturis make a similar play with the Dodgers. I'll see someone else make that play within the next 2 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great play, one you certainly don't see often, but in the end its a play that any ML SS with a very strong arm can make. There are about 5 guys in the league that could pull it off today.

When they pull it off you let me know. :)

T-post Tom
04-26-2008, 11:18 PM

I say, "Great play to be sure, but not the greatest ever."

You say, "Sorry guy, that ranks up there with one of the greatest plays ever."

I'm not sure where you're disconnecting, but let me throw you a bone:

TPJ's play was the greatest play ever in the storied annals of baseball history. Bar none. Simply the best. And you sir, are more correct than any human has ever been since the dawn of mankind. So much correctness...

I hope you feel better about this now.

KC_Connection
04-26-2008, 11:48 PM
I told you guys that Toronto was likely worse than KC. Some didn't believe me, but the Jays are most certainly proving it.

As for the play, well it was simply fantastic. But the greatest play ever? No way. You usually see several plays like this one a season. In fact, John McDonald of the Jays (the only SS in the AL that you can even compare to Pena defensively) did this, or something similar to this 3 times last year. It seems to me that your announcer got a bit hyperbolic in making his call.

keg in kc
04-26-2008, 11:49 PM
No more gameday threads. That's the key to victory.

Until they lose.

Then we need to start gameday threads again.

KC_Connection
04-26-2008, 11:50 PM
No more gameday threads. That's the key to victory.

Until they lose.

Then we need to start gameday threads again.
I'm a Jays fan...time to make a game thread.

wutamess
04-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Looking at it again and having played shortstop in all levels except the pros... That was one helluva play. To even stop his slide in time took real power.

The tension at the time of the play the team was really rallying trying not to let the BJ's score. That was a great fuggin clutch play.

I said it's the best play I've seen live ever.
That's all.

Valiant
04-27-2008, 12:49 AM

Burroughs ropes one up the middle, Smith dives for it and the ball hits a rock, taking a wicked bounce back across Ozzie's body. The guy insinctively reaches back while still parallel to the ground and snags it with his bare hand. He hits the ground, comes up gunning and nails Burroughs by 3 steps.

Found it: Lousy video though. 8 seconds in. Furcal could make the play that Pena made, it was a play that most any SS with a strong arm could have made. No other SS in ML history makes the play Ozzie made on Burroughs.

<object width="432" height="351"><param name="movie" value="http://www.megavideo.com/v/RDPY9Q9W322a0ce0468daafe0df3e8a226bc985f.52042992.0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.megavideo.com/v/RDPY9Q9W322a0ce0468daafe0df3e8a226bc985f.52042992.0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="432" height="351"></embed></object>

Ozzie was amazing, but TPJ play was about 30-35 feet further from 1st and gunned down a faster player..

ChiefsFanatic
04-27-2008, 02:52 AM

I agree, it was outstanding, but it is like several plays that will be made this season alone, and therefore can't be the greatest of all time.

As a kid, I saw Frank White shade towards first base (left handed batter) and proceed to backhand a ball hit up the middle somewhere between second base and centerfield, and throw the runner out by a step.

He was easily the best defensive second baseman I have ever seen, and he did these things so regularly and so smoothly that they became commonplace.

So when he said it was the greatest defensive play he had ever seen, he was just being modest.

Flame away!

beavis
04-27-2008, 03:03 AM

You say, "Sorry guy, that ranks up there with one of the greatest plays ever."

I'm not sure where you're disconnecting, but let me throw you a bone:

TPJ's play was the greatest play ever in the storied annals of baseball history. Bar none. Simply the best. And you sir, are more correct than any human has ever been since the dawn of mankind. So much correctness...

I hope you feel better about this now.

Your first mistake is trying to have a rational conversation with someone who has no firm grip on reality.

beavis
04-27-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm simply amazed that he was able to get enough leverage on that throw to get it to first. Outstanding play.

Chief_in_Commander
04-27-2008, 03:22 AM
wow just saw it......awesome

Deberg_1990
04-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Too bad Pena cant hit.

Demonpenz
04-27-2008, 11:11 AM
i was at the game jim edmonds went willie mays but almost was paralized!

DJ's left nut
04-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Ozzie was amazing, but TPJ play was about 30-35 feet further from 1st and gunned down a faster player..

Pena's pick was nothing but a sliding backhand. Ozzies was catching a well hit ball that had been redirected back over his body with his bare hand while diving.

Pena's throw was more impressive, but again, the throw was the only truly impressive part. There are a handful of guys in the league with an arm that can make that throw.

jAZ
04-30-2008, 08:22 AM
This was better.

<object width="464" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NDk1NDY0"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NDk1NDY0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="392"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=495464">Awesome Baseball Save By Pitcher</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>

wutamess
04-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Don't care what you say... Pena's was AMAZING.
Backhand my ass... that takes shear strength to stop your slide like that and get momentum to be able to sling the ball across your body on your knees.

The picture play was nothing but a throw across your body throw. Of course he kicked it but not THAT spectacular and didn't really require any skill. That play doesn't compare to the Ozzie and Pena play.

I'll pick Pena slightly over the Ozzie play because I know how hard it is to do what he did. Even though Ozzie dove and adjusted in mid air... it's not that hard to do because it's more of a natural reflex to get the ball by any means nec.

Not discrediting the play but Pena BARELY wins out in the comparison. No that isn't a homeristic opinion.

I'll tell you another play that was absolutely sick I seen live...

<object height="355" width="425">& I saw this one live & in person...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/969OaxTLz6M&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/969OaxTLz6M&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VrSDZtWfRyI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Fish
04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
ROFL

Al Wilson flopping around the field like a retarted breakdancer.....

RINGLEADER
04-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Brilliant stuff.

I wish baseball had a salary cap like football.