PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Q&A on 3rd Rounders

DaFace
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/27/qa_with_petersonedwardskuharich_on_3rd_round/

2008 THIRD-ROUND DRAFT PICKS

CARL PETERSON: “We’re pleased to announce our three third-round draft choices. I think we’ve addressed some areas of need and also with talented players. The running back, Charles, a big, big tight end Cottam from Tennessee, and the safety Morgan. They are players we did a lot of research on. Bill (Kuharich) has done a marvelous job. What I like the most is we haven’t deviated from our [draft] board as these guys come up. The idea was to take full advantage of the three third-round draft choices that took some time to get.”

HERM EDWARDS: “We did not deviate from our board. These guys were value picks for us, especially in the third round. These guys will compete for playing time on our football team offensively and defensively. We have some more picks and it seems like every time we look around we’re picking and that’s a good thing.”

BILL KUHARICH: “Once again and I’ve said this for three years now, we’ve followed our board and these three guys were the next three in a handful of 10 and all them have a specific quality that we like.

The running back is tremendous. He’s going to fit in here great in talking to (offensive coordinator) Chan Gailey how he’ll be utilized in running the ball and receiving out of the backfield.

The tight end missed some time this year with an injury but he’s a blocking tight end. That’s why we drafted him. We have our receiving tight end and this guy is a very good blocker.

The safety is just too good a value to pass up. Herm spotted him a year ago when we watching N.C. State tape and number seven just kept showing up.

For the third round we had an awful lot of calls – I’d say eight to 12 calls all after one of our picks at each of our three third round picks. Like we do, we still think it’s a very good board and other teams move up in this round to target guys to go get. All three of these guys fit what we want to do, are very productive guys and are all young and from big schools and programs that win. I couldn’t be happier for the start of the day.”

Q: Are these guys immediate starters?

EDWARDS: “Anyone we draft has the ability to compete for playing time.”

Q: What does Charles do that the other two running backs you have don’t?

EDWARDS: “When you watch the guy and look at his career he’s a little bit of a change- of-pace kind of guy. He has tremendous speed and can make the big play. Has good hands, can catch the ball, so he’s kind of a well rounded guy. Is he a 25-carry guy? Probably not. We’re not going to ask him to do that. Last year both our backs got hurt and you have to look at that too. We like to run the ball and you always need three good running backs. We’ve got some backs now that are good players.”

Q: Can you talk about the importance of a blocking tight end in Chan’s offense?

EDWARDS: “Chan has a lot of personnel groups and the tight end is a big factor in his offense. It’s important that we got a tight end. We liked this guy. Didn’t catch the ball a lot, but if you look at the guy he has a lot of speed. He’s a 4.65 guy and that’s legit. He can run, athletic, and a tough guy. Finishes blocks and played in a good conference. Played in a lot of big games.””

Q: When did you notice how fast Charles is?

KUHARICH: “When you watch the tape. All you have to do is turn on the tape.”

Q: Where do you see Morgan playing?

EDWARDS: “He’s a versatile guy. He’s an excellent special teams player. Very good on special teams. Very athletic with great hand-eye coordination. Good interceptor and vicious tackler. You watch him on tape he’s a torpedo. He’s a football player. You can’t get enough good football players.”

RealSNR
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
I liked all three picks, especially the Charles pick.

I was thinking that we would use Cottam as Gonzalez's backup and as a big ass fast threat in the slot like Gates, but if he can block, even better.

Sure-Oz
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
I liked all three picks, especially the Charles pick.

I was thinking that we would use Cottam as Gonzalez's backup and as a big ass fast threat in the slot like Gates, but if he can block, even better.

I hope he turns out to be solid, that size is insane and hopefully he is Dunn but more of a threat

Bowser
04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
The Bills ****ed us when they took the DE Ellis, and the Cardinals ****ed us when they took Early Doucet.

That being said, I still like the picks.

StcChief
04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
good draft so far, get some more diamond picks

Rausch
04-27-2008, 11:11 AM
We got our blocking TE and S. Now we just need to land the fullback so Carl can hit Arbys...

StcChief
04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
We got our blocking TE and S. Now we just need to land the fullback so Carl can hit Arbys...
Off season Hoyte?

cdcox
04-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I think Mecca was calling for the Morgan pick last night.