PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How Many Starters?

CosmicPal
04-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Well, Herm and CP said they wanted a bunch of starters from this draft. I don't see anything more than maybe 4 starters at this point.

Dorsey- plug 'em in immediately.
Albert - Sure thing
Flowers- Fills the 3rd role as a starter.

Charles? Not likely to take LJ's spot for now. There's talk of him being a return man, but he won't start over LJ.

Cottam? He has only started 10 games in 5 years w/Tennessee. I love this pick, and right now, he looks like our next Jason Dunn, only with better receiving skills? Is he a starter now? Since there's no Jason Dunn, I say he is.

Morgan? Excellent Special Teams player. I doubt he takes Surtain's spot right away or even takes a starting safety spot right away.

Franklin? Good value here. Consider we have absolutely no WR's other than Bowe, it is quite possible he could be our 3rd wideout. Is he the starter opposite Bowe? Will he beat out Darling? Or even Webb?

Carr? Great speed and potential. See him playing special teams a couple of years before he becomes anything close to a starter.

Based on how many starters they were wanting before the draft, I don't see them fulfilling their goal just yet.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Don't be surprised if Morgan is starting early, I think he's better than all of our Safeties right now.

CosmicPal
04-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Don't be surprised if Morgan is starting early, I think he's better than all of our Safeties right now.

I agree. I think he could pair up very nicely with Pollard. However, do you think he'll be a day 1 starter?

Hammock Parties
04-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Page > Morgan > Pollard

eazyb81
04-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't think you should focus solely on players who will be on the field during the first play.

Cottam will play a ton as the 2nd TE in Gailey's offense.

Franklin will be on the field a lot as a 3rd WR to start.

Charles will get around 10 carries a game and could return kicks and punts.

aturnis
04-27-2008, 12:21 PM
I agree. I think he could pair up very nicely with Pollard. However, do you think he'll be a day 1 starter?

I think most people see him TAKING Pollard's spot, beings he's the liability. I think Page is safe.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't think you should focus solely on players who will be on the field during the first play.

Am I the only one that sees Charles coming in as our 3rd down back?

the Talking Can
04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I think all of our first 6 picks will play.

first 3 are day one, snap 1 starters imho (which is bad ass)

I hope Morgan is as advertised and pushes for a position...

Mecca
04-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Am I the only one that sees Charles coming in as our 3rd down back?

That's probably right, he has solid hands, great speed...and if you go with a screen/draw crossup he could house it.

CosmicPal
04-27-2008, 12:25 PM
I think most people see him TAKING Pollard's spot, beings he's the liability. I think Page is safe.

Err...I meant Page, not Pollard.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2008, 12:25 PM
That's probably right, he has solid hands, great speed...and if you go with a screen/draw crossup he could house it.

Absolutely.

I love the pick.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm just pumped they took Morgan that was the guy I really wanted.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm just pumped they took Morgan that was the guy I really wanted.

That was tremendous value.

Again, a really solid pick.

HolmeZz
04-27-2008, 12:27 PM
I think Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, and Morgan can all start early.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2008, 12:29 PM
I think Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, and Morgan can all start early.

Absolutely.

And I think Charles will see 5-10 carries per game, as well as get work as a 3rd down back.

Cottom is going to see a LOT of action, as Gailey loves the 2 TE sets.

Great draft thus far.

StcChief
04-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Franklin 3 or 4 WR set

KCJohnny
04-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Injuries to other starters could propel many of these kids into the starting lineup. We may go 1-15 this season. I guess that's what it takes (in some peoples' minds) to rebuild...

Brock
04-27-2008, 01:22 PM
3 guaranteed, plus 2 likely.

KCJohnny
04-27-2008, 01:24 PM
3 guaranteed, plus 2 likely.

Bold! That's really going out on a limb, little slugger!

Brock
04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Bold! That's really going out on a limb, little slugger!

I didn't realize we were going for bold. Shouldn't you be walking on the beach with a guitar, singing show tunes?

DJ's left nut
04-27-2008, 01:28 PM

++

I think they meant guys that will be more than mere backups as much as anything.

We got 7 guys that will play and contribute a significant amount, even if there are no injuries this season.

RustShack
04-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Now that we have Morgan, could Pollard be moving to LB soon?

kcxiv
04-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Page and Pollard are going to start. We just had no depth. I dont expect Wesley to be there at the start of the season, so that leaves us with Page, Pollard and McGraw? he's more then likely going to be ST and Back up in the first year. This is make or break for both Page and Pollard who both struggled at times last year. I think Pollard got better as the season went on though. Hopefully he can keep improving.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking four or five....would not be unthinkable.

Rausch
04-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah, 4 starters out of the draft is terrible. 3 starters in your first 3 picks is horrid...

Basileus777
04-27-2008, 02:13 PM
It depends on whether you consider nickle corners, slot receivers, or #2 TEs as starters.

keg in kc
I'm thinking at least 4 starters, and maybe a total of 8 or 9 guys who contribute if you include STs. There should be a couple who hit the practice squad and probably one who just doesn't cut it.

dirk digler
5 with Richardson now

Mecca
04-27-2008, 02:14 PM
If you've ever seen Morgan play he takes a shit on our safeties.

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 02:14 PM
If you've ever seen Morgan play he takes a shit on our safeties.That's not the kind of "coverage" I'm looking for.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2008, 02:15 PM
If you've ever seen Morgan play he takes a shit on our safeties.

Morgan could expedite consideration of the Pollard to OLB move....that's for sure; especially if we keep Wesley on the roster.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Flowers, Albert, Dorsey, Morgan will all start Day 1. Charles will be a big time contributor. Richardson may start, and at worst will be a backup for the RG/RT spots. Robinson may fulfill both return roles.

Franklin is better than Webb already.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 02:17 PM
I think we got 6 starters, and Franklin may eventually start for us as well.

picasso
04-27-2008, 02:31 PM

I simply do not understand the logic in that assumption.
Page in my opinion let us down more than Pollard did last year. At least Pollard was around the ball and making a tackle.

NUMBER7
04-27-2008, 02:31 PM
The level of play in the NFL is steep and there will be a big learning curve for the some of these guys. IMO I only see LSU's Dorsey starting in New England. I hope I am pleasantly surprised in River Falls and the rest can catch on quickly so the complete game experience rebuilding can start early

Direckshun
04-27-2008, 02:45 PM
I said this in another thread, but they said they wanted about five starters.

They're almost there, but I'm curious why they spent their entire third round on guys who will back up the incumbent starters.

Unless the Chiefs are 90% tanking any and all FB use and starting two TEs, I don't know where they're going to get a 7th.

Dorsey -- starter 1
Albert -- starter 2
Flowers -- starter 3
Charles -- backup
Cottam -- ???
Morgan -- backup
Franklin -- ???
Carr -- backup
Richardson -- starter 4
Robinson -- backup

bowener
04-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Page > Morgan > Pollard

Agreed.

Im and idiot for sure, no genious, but do you think it at all possible in the future to try Pollard out at OLB? He is the same size if not bigger than Edwards and Williams, but does he have the brains and skills? Somebody please inform me, seriously.

sparkky
04-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I think a great equalizer on the offensive side is that there will be a new OC and system being installed and some of the new offensive guys will have the same learning curve as some current back ups on the roster. some guys just pick up and adapt to certain systems better/quicker than others.

the rook wr's and linemen will have a fighting chance to contribute if not start early on. I'm not suggesting that Tony, LJ, Bowe or Waters have to fear for their jobs but the rest could well be up for grabs by some surprise candidates.

IMHO

bowener
04-27-2008, 02:48 PM

They're almost there, but I'm curious why they spent their entire third round on guys who will back up the incumbent starters.

Unless the Chiefs are 90% tanking any and all FB use and starting two TEs, I don't know where they're going to get a 7th.

Dorsey -- starter 1
Albert -- starter 2
Flowers -- starter 3
Charles -- backup
Cottam -- ???
Morgan -- backup
Franklin -- ???
Carr -- backup
Richardson -- starter 4
Robinson -- backup

I do not know a lot about Gailey except that he tries to build an O around the players more than he tries to force the players to fit... so perhaps Charles will essentially be a starter in the form of Reggie Bush or something. A lof of flats passes and screens perhaps? Some fakes to LJ and pitches or tosses or short throws to him in hopes he breaks one off?

Direckshun
04-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I do not know a lot about Gailey except that he tries to build an O around the players more than he tries to force the players to fit... so perhaps Charles will essentially be a starter in the form of Reggie Bush or something. A lof of flats passes and screens perhaps? Some fakes to LJ and pitches or tosses or short throws to him in hopes he breaks one off?
Possible.

I wouldn't consider it likely, but it's possible.

KCJohnny
04-27-2008, 02:51 PM
The level of play in the NFL is steep and there will be a big learning curve for the some of these guys. IMO I only see LSU's Dorsey starting in New England. I hope I am pleasantly surprised in River Falls and the rest can catch on quickly so the complete game experience rebuilding can start early

It may have nothing to do with who wins jobs in camp. There are just too many holes for Herm NOT to play some of these kids. Factor in injuries, and dang near all of 'em could see substantial PT.

milkman
04-27-2008, 02:51 PM

Dorsey -- starter 1
Albert -- starter 2
Flowers -- starter 3
Charles -- backup
Cottam -- ???
Morgan -- backup
Franklin -- ???
Carr -- backup
Richardson -- starter 4
Robinson -- backup

My money says that Morgan replaces Pollard as the starter at SS.

bowener
04-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Possible.

I wouldn't consider it likely, but it's possible.

I should say he wont see the field as much as Bush does, but a similar threat perhaps? I like the pick because he is a huge change up from LJ on the field... gives us the lightning (hate these terms) to LJs thunder so to speak.

Direckshun
04-27-2008, 02:52 PM
My money says that Morgan replaces Pollard as the starter at SS.
*scratches chin*

Would be enticing, but I honestly think the Chiefs prefer experience over youth on Day One.

They started Sammie Parker over Dwayne Bowe.

It's why I think Franklin won't be a starter.

milkman
04-27-2008, 02:56 PM
*scratches chin*

Would be enticing, but I honestly think the Chiefs prefer experience over youth on Day One.

They started Sammie Parker over Dwayne Bowe.

It's why I think Franklin won't be a starter.

I think that Carl had a hand in that decision.

He thought we were a playoff team, so he wanted experience out there.

This year, that isn't a factor in the decision.