04-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Your thoughts?

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Terrific pick, IMO.

evolve27
04-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Analysis
Positives: Has a frame that can carry additional bulk, good arm length and large hands to grab and drag down ballcarriers...Shows very good hand usage, keeping the active in his pass rush, executing good crossover action to get an edge on a slower offensive tackle...Shows good body control, hip flexibility and balance turning the corner to give chase in the backfield...Gets a decent hand jolt with his punch to slow down backs and tight ends...Plays with pain and does not shut down until the whistle...Has the ability to collide and generate good pop on contact when he plays at a good pad level...Plays better on the move, but has the adequate power base to hold his ground and can be disruptive with his hands when he keeps them inside the framework...Seems more comfortable when asked to stunt, rather than anchor and read...Has the lateral agility to work down the line...Has enough leverage to sit in the gap and hold his ground (inconsistent vs. double teams), as he has the hand placement to get a quick release when he does not get engulfed by larger blockers...If he keeps his pads down in can be tough to handle in one-on-one blocking (will get washed on down blocks)...Not really extra strong at the point of attack, but plays with good knee-bend and leverage...Fights pressure vs. reach blocks...Has the functional hip flip to make plays off the edge...When he shoots his hands quickly, he can shock a blocker...Has enough foot quickness to move and get through trash...Plays the game on his feet and, if he gets a free lane to the quarterback, he can seal the deal and collapse the pocket...Shows nimble foot moves to skate, string plays out and catch them from behind...Has good leverage working off the edge and is a classic hand fighter in attempts to clear the line on the pass rush...Has a quick swim move that generates a good push past the blockers...His quickness allows him to bend on the corner and he likes to use his spin and counter moves a lot when used on the pass rush...Uses his reach efficiently to control and keep separation from blockers when trying to close on the quarterback...When he breaks free from the line, he takes dead aim on the quarterback, resulting in his high amount of flushes and pressures.

Negatives: Has adequate muscle tone and a soft midsection and is a bit high-cut with long calves...Quick to penetrate, but is inconsistent in his redirection skills and will overrun the play and then struggle to recover...Has good quickness off the edge, but not enough to explode past defenders and needs to show more suddenness in his initial step...Just adequate in the classroom and, while he can recognize blocking schemes, at times, he needs more than several reps to retain plays...Will run into the blocker rather than try to slip and avoid, causing wear and tear on his body...Will be late off the ball at times, as he does not have a natural feel for snap cadence...Lacks the bulk to split double teams...Recognizes the trap and can stack, but his marginal size hurts him working in-line...Must flatten and squeeze better on down blocks...Better getting into the backfield when challenging a tight end than an offensive tackle, as he sometimes gets too wired to big-bodied blocks...Has good strength as a wrap-up tackler, but needs to roll his hips better to put more force behind those tackles...Better with his swim and counter moves, as he is still trying to perfect his club and rip moves on the bull rush.

Compares To: MATT ROTH-Miami...Johnston is a work in progress, but he brings instant value as an edge rusher. His first lesson is that he cannot overpower NFL offensive tackles on a consistent basis. This might have worked at his level of competition, but not in the NFL, where tackles are much bigger and stronger. Johnston is a good leverage player who can hold his ground on the edge, but because of size issues, he is inconsistent in attempts to split double teams. With his ability to play on his feet and the flexibility he shows coming off the corner, he will get to the quarterback often, if not asked to play every down.

Injury Report
2004: Sat out the Coastal Carolina contest (10/30) with a right hamstring strain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our new Jared Allen. Wow.

DT Fan
Your thoughts?

Don't know much other than that there were people on this board asking for him in round 3 or 4. We needed a DE and if this guy is the real deal at all, he'll have an opportunity to compete for a starting job.

ct
It's Jared Allen junior. seriously tho, at this point, I like the pick.

royr17
I like this pick, I like his size, and I like his speed.

He's 6'5, 274 lbs, and runs a 4.66 40 time. Was a good pickup in the 7th round.

CupidStunt
04-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Can't believe he was available.

chiefscafan
04-27-2008, 03:03 PM
the thing I loved about him has a motor that doesn't stop

maybe say hello to jared allen 2

I'm sorry guys with the exception of the small school cb this is an awesome draft

Idahojim
04-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Anyone remember the last Buchanan Award winner the Chiefs drafted? Guy from Idaho State who just became a Viking.

Let's hope this one works out as well. Another late round sack monster. Lining up next to Dorsey and with Tamba, he could benefit and prosper.

I like this pick a lot.

Pitt Gorilla
We should have taken him in the 3rd, or something.

BigChiefFan
The Chiefs really did their homework and it shows. I'm blown away about the influx of youthful talent on the team. The future looks alot brighter than it did a week ago.

milkman
Can't believe he was available.

Chiefs did an outstanding job of measuring value in this draft.

KCJohnny
04-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Negatives: Has adequate muscle tone and a soft midsection and is a bit high-cut with long calves...Quick to penetrate, but is inconsistent in his redirection skills and will overrun the play and then struggle to recover...

He is destined to play in Gunther's scheme!!!!!

keg in kc
Chiefs did an outstanding job of measuring value in this draft.They really did. To be able to land Richardson and Johnston as late as they did is a coup I think. The could both be starting at some point in 2008.

dtrain
[QUOTE=evolve27;4720341]Analysis

Negatives: Has adequate muscle tone and a soft midsection and is a bit high-cut with long calves

Can someone explain this to me like I was a 5th grader :stupid:

J Diddy
04-27-2008, 03:06 PM
the thing I loved about him has a motor that doesn't stop

maybe say hello to jared allen 2

I'm sorry guys with the exception of the small school cb this is an awesome draft

you mean the guy WHO NEVER GAVE UP A TOUCHDOWN

markk
04-27-2008, 03:07 PM
He is the 12th rated defensive end prospect available for this year’s draft according to NFLDraftScout.com.

Sfeihc
04-27-2008, 03:07 PM
This draft continues to unfold like a dream. Is this really the Chiefs?

B_Ambuehl
04-27-2008, 03:08 PM
He could be the next Jared Allen. Rated as high as a 3rd rounder by some sources.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Fun fact:

Brian Johnston had as many sacks in college as Chris Long.

Also, 4.66 forty-yard dash. Not too shabby.

AND!

His most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year.

He recorded an impressive 35-inch vertical leap as well, which would have ranked second among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine – and best for a player of his size.

The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston’s time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL’s Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event – with Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time.

A 6.96-second time in the 3-cone, was also impressive, and would rank him third if he would have went to the combine.

CosmicPal
04-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Brian Johnston, Gardner-Webb
Height: 6-5. Weight: 276.
Projected 40 Time: 4.78.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.66.
Vertical 35.
Projected Round: 3-4.
Brian Johnston opened some eyes at his combine, running a 4.66 and notching a 35-inch vertical at 276 pounds. A major sleeper in this year's draft.

A very productive end out of Gardner-Webb, Brian Johnston accumulated seven sacks in 2006, making the All-Big South first team. Level of competition is naturally an issue.

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 03:09 PM
This draft continues to unfold like a dream. Is this really the Chiefs?We're going to wake up tomorrow and discover it's yesterday, just before the Chiefs draft Otah at 5.

JBucc
04-27-2008, 03:11 PM
We stealed that guy!

dirk digler
04-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Anyone remember the last Buchanan Award winner the Chiefs drafted? Guy from Idaho State who just became a Viking.

Let's hope this one works out as well. Another late round sack monster. Lining up next to Dorsey and with Tamba, he could benefit and prosper.

I like this pick a lot.

He didn't win the award though. He was just a finalist.

Wa-Z
04-27-2008, 03:12 PM
We stealed that guy!

We stealed the draft!!

Hammock Parties
04-27-2008, 03:12 PM
I LOVE this pick.

FloridaMan88
04-27-2008, 03:13 PM

So your definition of effectively utilizing value is drafting a third string, third down RB, and a back-up, blocking TE among their 3rd round draft picks.

Remember the Chiefs went into this draft claiming they were looking for STARTERS at multiple positions. Wouldn't a reasonable definition of "value" from the Chiefs perspective then have to be someone who can come in and start?

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2008, 03:14 PM
We stealed the draft!!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BnrLloO7nFQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BnrLloO7nFQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

HemiEd
It is good to hear you guys that know what you are talking about, say this.

DaWolf
I know this is a time to dream, but for a guy to have been on this board that long, there's gotta be some real negatives that outweighed the positives we've all been writing about. I dunno, I haven't seen him play. But this guy, taken in this round, is probably a real longshot at being a productive starter at any point, based on the history of 7th rounders impacting teams. Maybe a serviceable backup. Maybe at best an Eric Hicks. We'll see...

chiefscafan
04-27-2008, 03:15 PM
I know I'm excited I thought we'd be lucky to find five starters or players that could contribute . However without major stumbles by the end of the year I could see this.

1. Dorsey - start day one
2. Albert - start OT or OG
3. Flowers - start day one
4. jamal charles - change of pace
5. Cottam - stays healthy dunn replacement
6. Morgan - starter by end of year
7. Franklin - deep threat
8. carr - not sure about
9. Richardson- will start somewhere on this line
10. kevin robinson - our threat on kr sorry pj sams
11. Brian Johnston - high motor tons of potential might start season opener or mid
12?

sorry don't care what these reporters say I think this is an A draft

Pitt Gorilla
04-27-2008, 03:16 PM
So your definition of effectively utilizing value is drafting a third string, third down RB, and a back-up, blocking TE among their 3rd round draft picks.

Remember the Chiefs went into this draft claiming they were looking for STARTERS at multiple positions. Wouldn't a reasonable definition of "value" from the Chiefs perspective then have to be someone who can come in and start?Good, God, think big picture. Tony isn't going to play forever and the Chiefs like to employ an extra TE for running the ball. Many teams are now featuring multiple backs to carry the load so that one guy doesn't wear down (see Johnson, L.) Charles would be a great compliment to LJs pounding.

bowener
04-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I like this pick, I like his size, and I like his speed.

He's 6'5, 274 lbs, and runs a 4.66 40 time. Was a good pickup in the 7th round.

Damn! Where do humans like these come from, huge and fast. I know nothing about him except that he may be JA v2.0... w/o the booze??

I think with Boone and (more importantly) Dorsey in the middle (god that feels so ****ing nice to say) and Hali on the outside, he might be able to get some sacks for us with that speed.

KcMizzou
04-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I know I'm excited I thought we'd be lucky to find five starters or players that could contribute . However without major stumbles by the end of the year I could see this.

1. Dorsey - start day one
2. Albert - start OT or OG
3. Flowers - start day one
4. jamal charles - change of pace
5. Cottam - stays healthy dunn replacement
6. Morgan - starter by end of year
7. Franklin - deep threat
8. carr - not sure about
9. Richardson- will start somewhere on this line
10. kevin robinson - our threat on kr sorry pj sams
11. Brian Johnston - high motor tons of potential might start season opener or mid
12?

sorry don't care what these reporters say I think this is an A draftActually all the talking heads seem to agree with you.

Well, other than Whitlock, I guess.

KCChiefsMan
04-27-2008, 03:19 PM
seems like a good pick, some on here were wanting him

bowener
His most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year.

He recorded an impressive 35-inch vertical leap as well, which would have ranked second among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine – and best for a player of his size.

The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston’s time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL’s Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event – with Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time.

A 6.96-second time in the 3-cone, was also impressive, and would rank him third if he would have went to the combine.

Holy shit... I mean numbers can lie sometimes, but still.... holy ****ing shit. That is damn impressive if not god damned impressive... 275lbs too.

Hootie

Remember the Chiefs went into this draft claiming they were looking for STARTERS at multiple positions. Wouldn't a reasonable definition of "value" from the Chiefs perspective then have to be someone who can come in and start?

This is ridiculous...

Dunn played at least 60% of our offensive snaps...Charles can take 6-12 carries a game from the aging LJ...and Pollard might be a bust...from what I read on DeJaun is he's a leader...I don't see Pollard or Page being field generals like this guy can be...

This is an incredible draft. Some people can never be pleased...SICK PROPS to Herm, Carl, and anyone else in that Chiefs war room...

J Diddy
I know this is a time to dream, but for a guy to have been on this board that long, there's gotta be some real negatives that outweighed the positives we've all been writing about. I dunno, I haven't seen him play. But this guy, taken in this round, is probably a real longshot at being a productive starter at any point, based on the history of 7th rounders impacting teams. Maybe a serviceable backup. Maybe at best an Eric Hicks. We'll see...

the only knock I've seen is lack of competition

recxjake
Do we have 7 picks next year, or have we done any trades?

DaWolf
04-27-2008, 03:20 PM

I think we did find multiple starters in this draft. Just how many remains to be seen.

Second, remember when we drafted Jared Allen, he was thought of as more of a special teams/long snapper guy than a sack monster. Priest Holmes was going to be a third down back when we signed him (and he went undrafted also). So, how do we know until the pads are on? Just because a guy is labeled as a third string guy or a backup blocking TE doesn't mean that's what they will be. The draft is all about getting guys who you can coach up and develop to fit your system and be productive players for what you do. In a couple of years these "backup" guys could be starting for a winning team. Or they might be off the team. We have to see how this team plans on incorporating them into their plan...

KCJohnny
Damn! Where do humans like these come from, huge and fast. I know nothing about him except that he may be JA v2.0... w/o the booze??

I think with Boone and (more importantly) Dorsey in the middle (god that feels so ****ing nice to say) and Hali on the outside, he might be able to get some sacks for us with that speed.

I think with improved CB play (Flowers), Dorsey demanding double teams in the middle, Hali on the L, you could put just about anyone at RDE and cause problems for opposing offenses.

'Hamas' Jenkins
I think we got 7 starters from one draft.

That's sick.

ct
04-27-2008, 03:21 PM
He didn't win the award though. He was just a finalist.

so was boomer btw

eazyb81
I'm absolutely dumbfounded that this guy was available in the 7th round. We could have used our first 3rd round pick on him and no one would have blinked an eye.

This draft has just been insane. If this is a dream I don't want to wake up.

Hammock Parties
Johnston has better measurables than CHRIS LONG.

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2008, 03:22 PM

This draft has just been insane. If this is a dream I don't want to wake up.

I'm drinking alot caffine, and make sure that this day wasn't

chiefscafan
04-27-2008, 03:23 PM
so carr never gave up a touchdown? Didn't know that I 'm not gonna speak about him I'm speaking of the guys I"ve done research on or have seen play.

but overall I'm excited about this draft and to see who we get as undrafted free agents herm was on national tv claiming an undrafted free agents best chance to play would be this team.

that could sway some of these athletes

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 03:24 PM
The guy is a genetic freak.

http://www.uxwmedia.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/19.jpg

ChiefaRoo
I LOVE his prick.

Man, you need help.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
would have liked Chris Harrington in the 6th but this pick sounds like a good one. Its obviously not enough to solve the DE problem but I couln't have asked for a better draft. Camp battles should be fun although I wouldn't really know how to take it if Richardson and Albert were dominating the likes of McBride, Boone, and Johnston.

Hammock Parties
We can probably trade this guy for a 1st and two 3rds in four years.

bowener
04-27-2008, 03:25 PM

That may be the case sometimes, or in a normal universe....... but lets look at the empirical evidence at hand here men. The chiefs are not ****ing up, we might even end up with the best draft in the nfl this year... all the while Carl Peterson is still employed by the Chiefs... I think we need to face facts here and admit that this is infact not our universe; this is bizarrouniverse... where Carl Peterson can do no wrong. I dont think were in Kansas [city] anymore tardo.

KCJohnny
04-27-2008, 03:26 PM

ROFL

Mecca
04-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I hope this guy doesn't like to go drinking and driving...

bowener
04-27-2008, 03:29 PM
wait wait wait wait... wait.. wait..... Am I seeing this right???

He's white?? Not trying to be an asshole here, I mean Im whiteish, but ****, this man has speed.

ct

nice!!

:clap:

Tribal Warfare
KC's D-Line shall totally PWN!!!!!!

bowener
04-27-2008, 03:33 PM
From here: (http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/brian_johnston.htm)

Brian Johnston, 2008 NFL Draft Prospect
Defensive End
Gardner-Webb
6' 5" 280 lbs.
Speed: 4.78
Senior

One of the top prospects for the 2008 NFL Draft that you have probably never heard of is Brian Johnston. Yes Gardner Webb’s defensive end Brian Johnston is from a small school, but he has big time NFL talent. You don’t think those small school players can compete in the NFL? Just ask the Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen, who was a fourth-round selection (126th overall) out of Division I-AA Idaho State from the 2004 NFL Draft. Johnston is also similar to Dallas Cowboys’ defensive end Jason Hatcher, who was selected in the 3rd round (92nd overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft from small school Grambling. Johnston has similar size (6’ 5” 280 lbs) and production to both of those guys as well as similar NFL potential.

He (Johnston) was named a first-team Associated Press All-American after the 2007 season, this was the second year in a row Johnston has received that distinction. He has also been honored as one of the top small school NFL Draft prospects by well respected talent scout Josh Buchanan. He was also named as a first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), and the Walter Camp Football Foundation and is the Gardner Webb Bulldogs’ first consensus All-America since Harold Wells did it in 2004.

This season (2007), the senior Johnston was named Big South Defensive Player of the Year two years in a row, he recorded an impressive 74 total tackles, 37 being solo, a school and conference-record 24 tackles for loss, 6 quarterback sacks and 22 quarterback hurries. He finished ranked No. 2 nationally in tackles for loss on the season, and established new Big South Conference career records for sacks (20.5) and tackles for loss. Johnston finished his career as the top tackling defensive lineman in school history with 268 total tackles.

With the advent of the 34 defense in the NFL, those jumbo defensive ends like Johnston have been much sought after. Johnston has fought almost constant double teams, which is why his 6 sacks don’t look that impressive, but he has proven to be very solid against the run, despite being double teamed, his 74 tackles, 20.5 being for a loss, prove that he can fight through multiple blockers and get to the ball carrier. Very good at using his hands, strong and quick, Johnston plays the game with a non-stop motor. He will have to increase his repertoire of pass rushing moves and continue to train to get stronger and quicker in the NFL, but he has the raw talent and skills to warrant a 4th or 5th round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Update: Johnston played very well in the 2008 Hula Bowl, one of the nation’s better College Football All-Star games. He didn't get an invitation to the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine, but on 8 March 2008 he dazzled scouts at his Pro Day workout. Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 274 pounds, Johnston ran his first 40-yard dash in an eye-popping 4.66 seconds. His slowest time of the day was 4.70, which is still faster than Johnston’s best time a year ago. Johnston’s 40-yard dash time during his pro day, would have been the fourth best at the recent NFL Scouting Combine for defensive ends, and the best for any lineman weighing more than 260 pounds.

“I felt really good after the workout,” Johnston said. “The few scouts who stayed behind [after San Diego State’s players finished] said that it was the best workout of the day, by far, and they were impressed. My agent [Baltimore-based Tony Agnone] told me Sunday that nearly every team in the NFL had called him after getting those results. That’s encouraging for me.”

Deberg_1990
04-27-2008, 03:34 PM
So basically hes the next Jared Allen becauses hes white??

J Diddy
04-27-2008, 03:36 PM

yep

wine em, dine em 96 em

blueballs
04-27-2008, 03:36 PM
The Boomer replacement for the white guys

Deberg_1990
04-27-2008, 03:37 PM
yep

wine em, dine em 96 em

Lets hope hes a little more mature than that.

bowener
04-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Not to me. Just seems extremely similar physically and competitively... though faster... and hopefully more sober. I was honestly surprised that he white and realize that sounds racist, sorry, but that is some freakish human speed none-the-less. Again, sorry for sounding racist, I was seriously genuinely surprised for some reason.

bowener
04-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Im not able to watch tv right now, what are the headz saying about the chiefs today?

KcMizzou
04-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Im not able to watch tv right now, what are the headz saying about the chiefs today?Everyone seems to think they had the best draft in the league, hands down.

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2008, 03:44 PM

more like Chris Long but at a bargain price

Coach
04-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Shit, his 40 time is pretty solid, but his 10 second time frame is unbelieveable. He'll be coming off the edge pretty damn quick.

Braincase
The Boomer replacement for the white guys

Boomer my ass. Give this guy #68...

Pasta Little Brioni
wow shocked this guy lasted to the 7th round, but glad he did...heck i expected him to be gone before round 4 was over, so awesome news.

Thig Lyfe
I hope they drafted him with the intention of making him a long snapper...

dtrain
04-27-2008, 03:47 PM
wow shocked this guy lasted to the 7th round, but glad he did...heck i expected him to be gone before round 4 was over, so awesome news.

Only because he went to a small school

JohnnyV13
04-27-2008, 03:52 PM
He's got great physical tools, but he only had 7 sacks at a low level of competition. You wonder why he doesn't have 17 or so bags. That's the ONLY reason why I can see he feel so far.

With a "soft middle", that suggests he probably hasn't been in a very good weight program. He's likely going to need some work before he can get significant playing time on the field.

CupidStunt
04-27-2008, 03:54 PM
http://www.letsgobulldogs.us/images/07footbal/vmi/scrap/slides/IMG_5833.JPG

bowener
04-27-2008, 03:55 PM
He's got great physical tools, but he only had 7 sacks at a low level of competition. You wonder why he doesn't have 17 or so bags. That's the ONLY reason why I can see he feel so far.

With a "soft middle", that suggests he probably hasn't been in a very good weight program. He's likely going to need some work before he can get significant playing time on the field.

Read the article I posted 2 pages back or so. It said his sack #'s are low because he was always double teamed, yet despite the double teams he still managed to set records for tackles behind the LOS and managed to be very effective against the run as well.

HERE: #58 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4720575&postcount=58)

Basileus777
04-27-2008, 04:33 PM
He's 6-5 280? Maybe he will play the 3 tech at DE for us.

boogblaster
04-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Hopefully another Allen with more speed ...

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/04/27/chiefs_draft_de_brian_johnston_in_7th_round/

hiefs Draft DE Brian Johnston in 7th Round

Apr 27, 2008, 4:05:25 PM

7TH ROUND DRAFT SELECTION (210TH OVERALL)
DEFENSIVE END GARDNER-WEBB 6-4 269 SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA OVERVIEW
http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/CBD6CF6692DB4DDB8852EFDC96D14EA3.JPG?0.8095534425323477 The former collegiate outside linebacker continues to grow in stature, both physically and in the eyes of professional scouts. A product of the Garner-Webb weight room, where he has added more than 45 pounds of bulk since his freshman year, Johnston is regarded as the premier defensive prospect below the NCAA Division 1-A ranks. Johnston enrolled at Gardner-Webb in 2004, turning down offers to attend Colorado State and Arizona. As a true freshman, he started seven of nine games at strong-side outside linebacker. He finished with 58 tackles (24 solos), two sacks, five stops for losses and nine pressures. He caused three fumbles, recovered another and deflected two passes. As a sophomore, Johnston shifted to right defensive end, picking up All-Big South Conference honors from the league’s coaches and media. He tied for the conference lead with five sacks, adding 12.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and fifteen pressures. He produced 59 tackles (28 solos) while causing four fumbles and recovering another. Johnston had a banner junior campaign in 2006, as he earned All-American second-team, All-Big South Conference first-team and Big South Defensive Player of the Year honors. The All-Central Region Defensive Player of the Year again led the league with eight sacks, the 11th-best season total in school history. He registered 77 tackles (35 solos) with 14 stops for losses and 23 pressures. He caused two fumbles and recovered another. The Hendricks Award and Buchanan Award finalist continued to wreak havoc in the opposition’s backfield as a senior. He recorded 74 tackles (34 solos) with six sacks and ranked third nationally with 24 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He also deflected three passes, caused a fumble and experienced every defender’s dream – playing some on offense and catching a 3-yard pass for a touchdown. In 42 games at Gardner-Webb, Johnson started 40 contests. He recorded 268 tackles (124 solos), 21 sacks for minus 140 yards and was credited with 69 quarterback pressures. He also produced 55.5 stops for losses of 257 yards, as he caused ten fumbles and had three fumble recoveries. He deflected six passes, blocked a kick and scored on a 3-yard catch.
At Madison High School, Johnston earned first-team All-Harbor League honors as a defensive end during his senior campaign. A member of the San Diego Union-Tribune All-Academic Team and a High School Heisman nominee, he added All-League accolades as a junior on the defensive line. He finished his final season with 82 total tackles (30 solos), ten sacks and thirteen stops behind the line of scrimmage. He also deflected six passes and caused four fumbles.
CAREER NOTES
Ranks tied for fifth in school history (along with Bryan Allen, 1990-93) with 21 quarterback sacks, topped by Gabe Wilkins (29, 1990-1993), Jason Burns (27, 1988-1991), Darryl Perry (24, 1982-1985) and Tim Hardie (23, 1982-1985)…His 21 sacks are a Big South Conference all-time record, topping Adrain Grady of Coastal Carolina (19 for 126 yards, 2003-07)…His 55.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage set the Gardner Webb all-time record, topping the previous mark of 53 by Gabe Wilkins…His 55.5 stops for losses also set the Big South career-record, surpassing the previous mark of 36.0 for losses totaling 149 yards by Maurice Simpkins of Coastal Carolina (2003-05)…His 24 stops behind the line of scrimmage in 2007 rank third on the school’s season-record list, topped by Chris Mintz (28 in 1999) and Harold Wells (28 in 2004), as that total also rank on the Big South’s season-record chart behind Wells’ 2004 total…Registered eight sacks in 2006, tying Adrian Grady of Coastal Carolina (2003) and Kelvin McIver of Coastal Carolina (2004) for the Big South Conference season-record…Set a school game-record with eight quarterback pressures vs. Austin Peay State in 2007 and his 66 total pressures are a Gardner-Webb career-record.
2007 SEASON
All-American first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report, Associated Press, American Football Coaches Association and Walter Camp…First-team All-Big South Conference choice and named the league’s Defensive Player of the Year for the second-straight season…Finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award, given to the premier defensive player in the Championship Subdivision ranks…Only player below the major college level on the Hendricks Award list (finalist), given to the nation’s best defensive end…Earned Big South Player of the Week honors vs. Jacksonville, Austin Peay State and Virginia Military Institute…Started all year at left defensive end leading the Big South and ranking third nationally with 24 stops for losses of 115 yards…His 24 stops for losses rank third on the school’s season-record list…Led the team and ranked second in the league with six sacks for minus 41 yards…Recorded 74 tackles (34 solos) and led the squad with 22 quarterback pressures…Caused one fumble and deflected three passes…Made 74 plays vs. the run, holding the opposition to 9 yards on those rushing attempts (0.12 avg) and stopped those ball carriers for no gain on five other attempts… Registered 17 third-down plays, including eight vs. the run and had four more fourth-down stops…Collected thirteen tackles inside the red zone, including eight on goal-line plays.
2006 SEASON
Second-team All-American selection by The NFL Draft Report, Associated Press and Football Gazette…All-Central Region Defensive Lineman of the Year by Football Gazette, adding All-Big South Conference and Big South Defensive Player of the Year honors… Started all eleven games at left defensive end, leading the league and ranking 22nd in the nation with eight sacks (11th-best season total in school history) for minus 47 yards…Tied for fourth in the Big South and led the team with fourteen stops for losses of 53 yards… Registered 23 quarterback pressures and ranked third on the squad with 77 tackles (35 solos)…Caused two fumbles and recovered another…Collected 66 plays vs. the run, as the opposition gained 141 yards on those rushing attempts (2.14 avg)…Johnston stopped opposing ball carriers for no gain on four carries and delivered eleven tackles inside the red zone, including eight on goal-line plays…Posted twelve third-down stops, including six vs. the run.
2005 SEASON
All-Big South Conference first-team choice…Moved to right defensive end, starting all eleven games…Ranked fourth in the league with 12.5 stops for losses of 75 yards…Led the team with fifteen quarterback pressures and five sacks for minus 41 yards…Ranked sixth on the squad with 59 tackles (28 solos)…Recovered a fumble and caused four others…Deflected one pass and blocked a kick…Made 50 plays vs. the run, holding the opposition to no gain on three attempts and 26 total yards (0.52 avg)…Produced ten third-down hits, including seven vs. the ground game, adding a pair of fourth-down stops…Had nine plays inside the red zone, including six at the goal-line.
2004 SEASON
Johnston appeared in nine games, starting seven contests at strong-side outside line-backer as a true freshman …Recorded 58 tackles (24 solos) with two sacks for minus 11 yards, five stops for losses of 14 yards and nine quarterback pressures…Caused three fumbles and recovered another…Also deflected two passes…Made 35 plays vs. the run, stopping opposing ball carriers twice for no gain while yielding 75 yards (2.14 avg)…Posted five hits inside the red zone, including two on goal-line plays and made two third-down stops.
HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Madison (San Diego, Cal.) High School, playing football for head coach Steve Minor…Earned first-team All-Harbor League honors as a defensive end during his senior campaign…A member of the San Diego Union-Tribune All-Academic Team and a High School Heisman nominee, he added All-League accolades as a junior on the defensive line…Finished his final season with 82 total tackles (30 solos), ten sacks and thirteen stops behind the line of scrimmage…Also deflected six passes and caused four fumbles.
PERSONAL
Sociology major…Born 5/02/86…Resides in San Diego, California.

Spicy McHaggis
04-27-2008, 04:55 PM

It worked in Blazing Saddles.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2008, 04:57 PM

I hope Brian Johnston blows up. I will use the same music.

unothadeal
04-27-2008, 05:38 PM

HA!

chiefqueen
04-27-2008, 05:39 PM
He turns 22 Fri. (5/2)

mrbiggz
04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I would line him up right next to Dorsey and play him alot in the preseason.

Pitt Gorilla
04-27-2008, 08:17 PM
From here: (http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/brian_johnston.htm)

Brian Johnston, 2008 NFL Draft Prospect
Defensive End
Gardner-Webb
6' 5" 280 lbs.
Speed: 4.78
Senior

One of the top prospects for the 2008 NFL Draft that you have probably never heard of is Brian Johnston. Yes Gardner Webb’s defensive end Brian Johnston is from a small school, but he has big time NFL talent. You don’t think those small school players can compete in the NFL? Just ask the Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen, who was a fourth-round selection (126th overall) out of Division I-AA Idaho State from the 2004 NFL Draft. Johnston is also similar to Dallas Cowboys’ defensive end Jason Hatcher, who was selected in the 3rd round (92nd overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft from small school Grambling. Johnston has similar size (6’ 5” 280 lbs) and production to both of those guys as well as similar NFL potential.

He (Johnston) was named a first-team Associated Press All-American after the 2007 season, this was the second year in a row Johnston has received that distinction. He has also been honored as one of the top small school NFL Draft prospects by well respected talent scout Josh Buchanan. He was also named as a first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), and the Walter Camp Football Foundation and is the Gardner Webb Bulldogs’ first consensus All-America since Harold Wells did it in 2004.

This season (2007), the senior Johnston was named Big South Defensive Player of the Year two years in a row, he recorded an impressive 74 total tackles, 37 being solo, a school and conference-record 24 tackles for loss, 6 quarterback sacks and 22 quarterback hurries. He finished ranked No. 2 nationally in tackles for loss on the season, and established new Big South Conference career records for sacks (20.5) and tackles for loss. Johnston finished his career as the top tackling defensive lineman in school history with 268 total tackles.

With the advent of the 34 defense in the NFL, those jumbo defensive ends like Johnston have been much sought after. Johnston has fought almost constant double teams, which is why his 6 sacks don’t look that impressive, but he has proven to be very solid against the run, despite being double teamed, his 74 tackles, 20.5 being for a loss, prove that he can fight through multiple blockers and get to the ball carrier. Very good at using his hands, strong and quick, Johnston plays the game with a non-stop motor. He will have to increase his repertoire of pass rushing moves and continue to train to get stronger and quicker in the NFL, but he has the raw talent and skills to warrant a 4th or 5th round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Update: Johnston played very well in the 2008 Hula Bowl, one of the nation’s better College Football All-Star games. He didn't get an invitation to the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine, but on 8 March 2008 he dazzled scouts at his Pro Day workout. Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 274 pounds, Johnston ran his first 40-yard dash in an eye-popping 4.66 seconds. His slowest time of the day was 4.70, which is still faster than Johnston’s best time a year ago. Johnston’s 40-yard dash time during his pro day, would have been the fourth best at the recent NFL Scouting Combine for defensive ends, and the best for any lineman weighing more than 260 pounds.

“I felt really good after the workout,” Johnston said. “The few scouts who stayed behind [after San Diego State’s players finished] said that it was the best workout of the day, by far, and they were impressed. My agent [Baltimore-based Tony Agnone] told me Sunday that nearly every team in the NFL had called him after getting those results. That’s encouraging for me.”
Wow. Those measurables are solid. Great pick.

BTW,
You can really see why Herm wanted more picks in this draft. When this guy is getting drafted in the 7th (and there is still a ton of talent that went undrafted), the more picks, the better. It's drafts like this one that makes free agency seem like a waste of time and money. It's too bad we couldn't ship Wesley somewhere for a 5th.

Saccopoo
04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
When one considers that this kid has been eating Ho-Ho's and most likely driving down to Tijuana every free weekend, imagine his numbers and eventual true, on-the-field production once he gets into a pro level situation. Tim Kumrie on this kid's ass every hour of every day, the training, food, weight room, etc. that comes with the pros, and having guys like Hali, Tank and Boone (as well as Donnie off the right edge) to pull guys off him is going to turn this boy into an absolute beast. If he's putting up those numbers on the tail end of San Diego State's pro day, imagine the possibilities after a year or two of the aforementioned bonuses that come with being a part of a pro organization with Kurmie as your immediate boss, Gun and then Herm (all defensive dudes)...

I think I just wet myself.

Valiant
04-27-2008, 09:08 PM
We're going to wake up tomorrow and discover it's yesterday, just before the Chiefs draft Otah at 5.

I hope you wake up with a dick in your mouth after that statement..

beach tribe
04-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Hmmm. Dude's measurables rival Gholstons.

BigChiefFan
04-27-2008, 09:15 PM
We need to be shopping Wesley frantically.

Coach
04-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I can't believe the Chiefs got this guy at 7th round when TheFootballExpert.com had him going on the 5th round....

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Some had him going in the 4th.

I'm not sure that the #5 can ever be considered a "steal" but between Dorsey, Flowers and this cat (hell, even Richardson in the 6th), I'd say we did some thievery today.

In fact, we got a bunch of guys rounds later than their projections.

Isn't that backwards for us?

teedubya
04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Man,

I need to get a new Chiefs jersey, and after watching this highlight video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU)... I may be picking up Johnston's