PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ESPN dubs our Draft #1

GoHuge
04-27-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm pretty damn happy all-in-all with what we got and it must have been really hard for ESPN to say something good about the Chiefs, but they did. My hunch is Clark just unlocked the closet he's had Carl locked in all weekend. Again I think this is just another sign of Clark taking power from Carl and letting the appropriate people to do their jobs. Clark is going to get this thing turned around. By that I mean run the organization as a business in every way, shape, and form. That includes winning on the field.

I'm a TW customer so I don't have NFL Network. What are they saying?

Mecca
04-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I think it just means when people act like ESPN hates the Chiefs it's not true they're just giving their honest view.

KcMizzou
04-27-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty damn happy all-in-all with what we got and it must have been really hard for ESPN to say something good about the Chiefs, but they did. My hunch is Clark just unlocked the closet he's had Carl locked in all weekend. Again I think this is just another sign of Clark taking power from Carl and letting the appropriate people to do their jobs. Clark is going to get this thing turned around. By that I mean run the organization as a business in every way, shape, and form. That includes winning on the field.I sure hope you're right. This is a hell of a good step in the right direction.

Don417
04-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm glad they think so. Day one was excellent. Day two was a complete abortion. No positions of need filled by quality players. Instead it looks like they drafted for backups. Hermie said he wanted 5 starters out of this draft. Well if there are 2 starters in day two then this team is hosed. I'm thouroughly disgusted.

evolve27
NFL Network still has better draft coverage in every aspect than ESPN.

DaneMcCloud
I think it just means when people act like ESPN hates the Chiefs it's not true they're just giving their honest view.

Yep.

I love it when these news outlets praise the Chiefs and ALL the fans just fawn over themselves.

Yet when the Chiefs suck and the "media" points it out, it's all because of the "East Coast Liberal Media", not due to the fact that the Chiefs suck.

Classic.

Mile High Mania
Now, based on year's past... you guys hated the media because they didn't know shit. Why the change? :)

Just teasin' ... nice draft.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2008, 05:02 PM
This can only mean we win the Super Bowl this year.

rocks
NFL Network really likes the Chief draft and have talked about it several times today and yesterday!! I'm a happy Chief fan and it feels weird!

kstater
I'm glad they think so. Day one was excellent. Day two was a complete abortion. No positions of need filled by quality players. Instead it looks like they drafted for backups. Hermie said he wanted 5 starters out of this draft. Well if there are 2 starters in day two then this team is hosed. I'm thouroughly disgusted.

:rolleyes:

Deberg_1990
Day two was a complete abortion. No positions of need filled by quality players. Instead it looks like they drafted for backups. Hermie said he wanted 5 starters out of this draft. Well if there are 2 starters in day two then this team is hosed. I'm thouroughly disgusted.

WTF???

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 05:03 PM
I think it just means when people act like ESPN hates the Chiefs it's not true they're just giving their honest view.It's never been about hating the Chiefs so much as ignoring them, at least not for me. The midwest is usually treated like a second-class group of people doomed to live in a fly-over state, not worth talking about.

Which could also, of course, be argued to be the result of having a franchise that really hasn't been significant in any way, shape or form for 15 years...

Mecca
04-27-2008, 05:04 PM
If anyone rips on DaJuan Morgan I will kill you...

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm glad they think so. Day one was excellent. Day two was a complete abortion. No positions of need filled by quality players. Instead it looks like they drafted for backups. Hermie said he wanted 5 starters out of this draft. Well if there are 2 starters in day two then this team is hosed. I'm thouroughly disgusted.You're a complete abortion.

GoHuge
04-27-2008, 05:05 PM
I think it just means when people act like ESPN hates the Chiefs it's not true they're just giving their honest view.Oh I agree there are just alot of homers on this board that think ESPN has it out for us. I meant that as a kind of a tongue in cheek post for all of those that constantly bitch about ESPN hating the Chiefs.

beer bacon
04-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Genious!

the Talking Can
04-27-2008, 05:08 PM

goatse, can you keep your WPI posters where they belong....thanks

ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni

do you know anything about the players we picked or are you just pissed that we didn't draft 4 olineman right off the bat?

KcMizzou
If anyone rips on DaJuan Morgan I will kill you...LMAO

I guess we know who Mecca's favorite pick is. (Well, other than Dorsey, probably.)

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 05:10 PM
LMAO

I guess we know who Mecca's favorite pick is. (Well, other than Dorsey, probably.)Can I take a message? Mecca's busy rubbing one off to a jpeg of Morgan. He'll reply shortly.

TrebMaxx
04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I tend to think the so called ESPN "experts" feel safe rating the Chiefs draft #1 due to the number of players selected. More of a chance for those drafted to rise to the top of the NFL cream so to say. I am not ragging on the Chiefs picks, just saying.

I don't think FO reached too much and we did get some good solid picks. Time will tell.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Can I take a message? Mecca's busy rubbing one off to a jpeg of Morgan. He'll reply shortly.

LOL.....

That was one of the guys I really wanted them to pick, I had him as one of the top 3 players left when today started.

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I tend to think the so called ESPN "experts" feel safe rating the Chiefs draft #1 due to the number of players selected. More of a chance for those drafted to rise to the top of the NFL cream so to say. I am not ragging on the Chiefs picks, just saying. Kiper and McShay both had a lot of good things to say about the individual players we selected, including some of the picks that caught us off-guard today, so I don't think it's a matter of just quantity. They really seem to like who we picked.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
The Chiefs got 2 players most people thought were top 10 players....that helps.

Basileus777
04-27-2008, 05:16 PM
ESPN doesn't hate the Chiefs, for the most part they are just indifferent to them. The media just doesn't care about small market teams with a history of mediocrity, its not specific to Kansas City.

When such a team does something noteworthy, produces a superstar, or starts winning, then that changes.

keg in kc
04-27-2008, 05:17 PM
The Chiefs got 2 players most people thought were top 10 players....that helps.Flowers didn't hurt, either. Kiper has a mancrush on him...

TrebMaxx
04-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Kiper and McShay both had a lot of good things to say about the individual players we selected, including some of the picks that caught us off-guard today, so I don't think it's a matter of just quantity. They really seem to like who we picked.

Its all good even though Kipper and McShay are both asshats. I just think that for them in the long run to pick the Chiefs as having the best draft is still linked to the fact that years down the road there is a better chance that the quantity picks will lead to more solid players that establish themselves in the NFL out of this years class. I too believe the Chiefs did a good job this draft, the number of picks didn't hurt the cause. :thumb:

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 05:19 PM
We got two top 7 talents according to Mayock. That's a pretty gat damned good haul.

Thig Lyfe
04-27-2008, 05:21 PM

No way! Our draft was just SO good that they would have been exposed once and for all if they had not admitted it.

They're giving up an inch to take a yard.

J Diddy
04-27-2008, 05:21 PM
It must suck being carl

he has a good couple of drafts and it was someone else who did it

if it's shitty it's him

ROFL

GoHuge
04-27-2008, 05:22 PM
goatse, can you keep your WPI posters where they belong....thanks

ROFLThat's funny as hell because that is the exact thought I had. You can't please everybody, but to call day two an abortion is just retarded. We got some solid players and probably went BPA most of the day. It might not have been as perfect as day one, but how the hell does this guy really know about the players we drafted or didn't. No matter how strongly you might feel about somebody good or bad, these guys are all still prospects that have accomplished nothing in the NFL. Be happy with what most consider an outstanding draft.

KcMizzou
04-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Its all good even though Kipper and McShay are both asshats. I just think that for them in the long run to pick the Chiefs as having the best draft is still linked to the fact that years down the road there is a better chance that the quantity picks will lead to more solid players that establish themselves in the NFL out of this years class. I too believe the Chiefs did a good job this draft, the number of picks didn't hurt the cause. :thumb:With 13 picks going in, and drafting so high, we were bound to get some good players. I think what's so impressive is that most of them look to be quality players. Round 1 through 7... we got guys who really have a solid chance to be special.

TrebMaxx
04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
With 13 picks going in, and drafting so high, we were bound to get some good players. I think what's so impressive is that most of them look to be quality players. Round 1 through 7... we got guys who really have a solid chance to be special.

Exactly!

Sure-Oz
04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Both NFL Network and ESPN praised our draft extremely high, even with the 2nd day picks

The Bad Guy
04-27-2008, 06:07 PM

What is hilarious to me is all the fans that "hated" this draft, are the ones who have just signed up for this BB recently.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Anyone hating on picks like Charles and Morgan who I thought should have been 2nd round picks is just nuts...

Charles is better than that kid Tennessee took in the 1st round.

teedubya
04-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Day one... unreal.

Day two... meh-ish.

Uncle_Ted
04-27-2008, 06:24 PM
A lot of our day 2 picks were good value picks. But if the goal for day 2 was to pick up 2 or 3 more starters, then using 2 of our 3 picks in the 3rd round on guys that will not be starters for several years (barring injury to TG or LJ) isn't helping attain that goal. I'm not saying they were horrible picks, just that they won't be starters anytime soon.

(That and I have the feeling that Doucet will do way more at WR than Cottam ever will at TE in this league.)

Anyong Bluth
04-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Good to see that Carl is out of the closet he was locked in all weekend, AND has internet access so he can post under Don's username....

Way to not F()ck shit up this weekend!

Anyong Bluth
04-27-2008, 06:30 PM
We got two top 7 talents according to Mayock. That's a pretty gat damned good haul.

Well according to Mayock - we got 3 of the top 15 b/c he felt Flowers was by far the top CB and his 40 time doesn't mean squat when you actually watch him play. I agree with him. The guy was solid in the Orange Bowl and got a pick against Reesing - whose 1 QB that doesn't loosely chuck the ball up for grabs...

Oh Snap
04-27-2008, 06:38 PM

I think its because day 1 was just that damn good!

In all honesty, we dont know what we have man, ESPN is all over our nuts though. Just sit back and relax a bit.

xbarretx
04-27-2008, 06:42 PM

yes it just turns out the truth in the past meant we screwed the pooch :doh!:

KevB
04-27-2008, 06:47 PM
A lot of our day 2 picks were good value picks. But if the goal for day 2 was to pick up 2 or 3 more starters, then using 2 of our 3 picks in the 3rd round on guys that will not be starters for several years (barring injury to TG or LJ) isn't helping attain that goal. I'm not saying they were horrible picks, just that they won't be starters anytime soon.

(That and I have the feeling that Doucet will do way more at WR than Cottam ever will at TE in this league.)

It wouldn't surprise me if Morgan and Johnston were starting by the end of the season, and Charles and Cottam will play a lot IMO.

rad
04-27-2008, 06:53 PM
I guess having 12 choices in a draft will make folks take notice.

Remember a few years back, Philly had 13 picks, and everone gushed over their picks? It's a numbers thing. I'm happy with it, considering what it could have been.

KcMizzou
04-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Remember a few years back, Philly had 13 picks, and everone gushed over their picks? It's a numbers thing. I'm happy with it, considering what it could have been.True... but still the vast majority of those 12 seem like great value picks.

JohnnyV13
04-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Please,

How ignorant are you yahoos? Espn is part of a vast conspiricy to run down all that is good in the world. Espn, darwininsts, and Carl Peterson have joined forces to break the spirit of the entire midwest. You people wouldn't be so bitter if you hadn't lost your jobs at the barrel factory.

If you joined the Rainbow coalition and became Yankee fans, you'd understand these things.

dirk digler
04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
ESPN doesn't hate the Chiefs, for the most part they are just indifferent to them. The media just doesn't care about small market teams with a history of mediocrity, its not specific to Kansas City.

When such a team does something noteworthy, produces a superstar, or starts winning, then that changes.

Yep totally agree.

Ugly Duck
04-27-2008, 08:29 PM
What is hilarious to me is all the fans that "hated" this draft, are the ones who have just signed up for this BB recently.

Ha Ha! Gotcha! I asked my RaiderFan buds to sign up recently & pretend to be ChiefsFans so we could trash your draft when it came around. Those hater newbies are really my secret Trojan Horse minions - gotcha!

KcMizzou
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Ha Ha! Gotcha! I asked my RaiderFan buds to sign up recently & pretend to be ChiefsFans so we could trash your draft when it came around. Those hater newbies are really my secret Trojan Horse minions - gotcha!C'mon man... you know the Chiefs kicked ass this time. (finally)

To be honest, I only know about DMC, from your draft. People say he could have the same impact Peterson did last season. I think that's asking a bit much. Those kind of rookie RB seasons don't happen often, if ever. That said, I still think he'll be a hell of a back for you.

What's your honest opinion on our draft? (Yeah, I'm serious)

DT58HOF
04-27-2008, 08:56 PM

Remember a few years back, Philly had 13 picks, and everone gushed over their picks? It's a numbers thing. I'm happy with it, considering what it could have been.

well im glad we had all of them but i would of still jerked all over myself after the first 6,lol

noa
04-27-2008, 09:13 PM

Even though Herm said that thing about starters, I think its the wrong way to look at it. We got guys who will absolutely contribute. Charles won't be our starting RB, but he adds a huge boost to the running game. His contribution will be incredibly valuable, so starting or not doesn't make a difference there.
The TE could very well start since Gailey loves those formations, and even if he isn't considered a starter, he'll be on the field a ton.
And Morgan could definitely be a starter.
We already know that Dorsey and Albert are going to start, and Flowers could very well start, or at least make a significant enough contribution to make that point the designation of a "starter" irrelevant.
So in the first three rounds, we got six guys who will make immediate impacts and make our team much better. Some might be labeled starters, some might not, but they will all be adding to spots where we needed help (yes, even at the RB spot).
Now, we also picked up two more potential starters. One is Barry Richardson and the other is Johnston. They might not start right away, but who really cares? Do we need to go 8-8 next year. As long as the guys turn into starters, I'll be happy. Hell, they were 6th and 7th round picks.
Then we got a kick returner. I guess you don't really consider that a starter, but that's a huge void we needed filled.
And we got more depth at WR and CB.
So all in all, we addressed tons of needs and a lot of those guys will make valuable contributions.
Sticking to stupid labels when evaluating a draft is meaningless. Look at the impact the players will make.