PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ***THE OFFICIAL DRAFT GRADES THREAD***

BigRock
04-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Thought it would be handy to keep them all in one place. Post 'em when you see 'em, and I'll keep the starting post updated.

Rich Gosselin:

Kansas City A+
The good fortune began when Outland Trophy-winning DT Glenn Dorsey slid to them at five. The Chiefs drafted seven players who had third-round grades or better. A quantity draft (12 picks) quickly evolved into a quality draft.

Yahoo:
Kansas City Chiefs A.
Losing DE Jared Allen to get a bunch of picks still hurts, but that relationship was broken beyond repair. The Chiefs resisted all temptations to move either up or down, stood pat and got perhaps the most dynamic defensive player in the draft in Dorsey and a terrific talent on the offensive line in Albert. Both are great building blocks for the future. Flowers gives the Chiefs a much-needed infusion of youth since veteran Patrick Surtain might be close to the end. Charles provides some speed at running back and he could be a possible successor to Larry Johnson.

Pete Prisco:

A+

Sporting News:

A+
<TABLE style="MARGIN-LEFT: 5px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Chiefs (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=404851). Christmas came early. Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, Brandon Flowers and Jamaal Charles all were potential first-round picks. This was more than a home run. It was a grand slam.

Mel Kiper:

Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kan): GRADE: A
The rebuilding process is on. The Chiefs started the draft with 13 picks, and they made them count. After getting defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=11996) -- the No. 1 player on my Big Board -- with the fifth overall pick, the Chiefs grabbed tackle Branden Albert (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=12197), although he will be a work in progress. Virginia Tech cornerback Brandon Flowers (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=12211) would have been a mid-first-round pick if he had run better 40 times at the NFL combine. On Day 2, RB Jamaal Charles (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=12204) and Tennessee TE Brad Cottam (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=11771) -- who has untapped ability -- will be nice complements on offense. Cottam could be a diamond in the rough. DaJuan Morgan is a solid safety, Brandon Carr (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=11630) is another corner who might be a sleeper and Kevin Robinson (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=11832) can make his mark in the return game. Barry Richardson (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=11467) never materialized into a great offensive lineman at Clemson, but he could start right away with the holes Kansas City has on its offensive line. Defensive end Brian Johnston (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=11604) has long-range potential.

Fox Sports' NFL Czar John Czarnecki:

On paper, the Chiefs had the best draft of any team. Granted, GM Carl Peterson had the ammunition with seven picks in the first 107. The Chiefs had their eyes on Chris Long but ended up with LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, who they had rated higher. Dorsey may need right leg surgery down the line in his career, but Kansas City is not worried. Peterson made a trade with Detroit for Virginia guard Branden Albert, who has the ability to play guard and tackle, although he is a better guard and is tremendous in open space. Virginia Tech cornerback Brandon Flowers has the ability to start right away. Texas RB Jamaal Charles will be a great change-up runner to counter Larry Johnson, and Tennessee tight end Brad Cottam has the physical tools to potentially replace Tony Gonzalez when he retires despite only starting 10 games in college. Missouri WR Will Franklin has 4.3 speed and some teams had him graded in the third round.

Grade: A+

BigRock
04-27-2008, 11:07 PM
We're the only team in the league Mighty Mel Kiper gave an "A" to. The rest of the AFC West got C+ (Den & CD) and B- (Oak).

BigRock
04-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Sporting News weighs in.

KcMizzou
04-27-2008, 11:41 PM
We knocked it out of the park. No doubt about it. I just wanna see 'em play now.

AJKCFAN
04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
You know it's all good when noted Chiefs hater Pete Prisco also gives the Chiefs an A+

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10802077

Draft grades: Chiefs set the curve

Kansas City Chiefs

Best pick: They saw Dorsey fall to them with the fifth pick. He was the top player on half the boards in the league.

Questionable move: I like Texas running back Jamaal Charles, but do the Chiefs really need to be using a third-round pick on a back with Larry Johnson on the roster?

Second-day gem: Sixth-round pick Barry Richardson, a tackle out of Clemson, is massive (6-7, 338) and was once considered a first-day possibility.

Overall grade: A+. They had a lot of picks and used them well. Good thing, too. They need a lot of help.

More from the article:

Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson has taken a lot of heat recently, much of it justified considering the team's rapid fall from being a playoff contender.

The flame under his seat could cook a steak medium well.

After an awful 2007 season, Carl Peterson might have redeemed himself with this draft.

Peterson has been the Chiefs general manager since 1989, and some critics say he has grown too comfortable in his position, becoming a Teflon GM of sorts, with everything seemingly rolling off his back.

To say Peterson needed a big draft over the weekend would be an understatement.

He got it.

The Chiefs, thanks to several big trades, including sending defensive end Jared Allen to the Minnesota Vikings, had a stockpile of picks and they used them well. Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said he wanted six starters from this draft, and his wish might have come true.

Kansas City gets the only A+ grade in my post-draft report card. Up and down the Chiefs draft board, you will find players who will not only start as rookies, but also become dominant players down the road.

The Chiefs' draft started with defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and offensive tackle Branden Albert in the first round and they continued right through the draft. Even sixth-round pick Kevin Robinson, a return man from Utah State, could be an immediate contributor.

From start to finish, the Chiefs cashed in big. That's why they get the only premium grade in this report card.

Maybe the fire will cool under Peterson's behind.

recxjake
04-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I love the draft... problem is.... we still have holes... but we made progess.

Now we just need to cut Damon Huard and Greg Wesley

xbarretx
04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
We're the only team in the league Mighty Mel Kiper gave an "A" to. The rest of the AFC West got C+ (Den & CD) and B- (Oak).

didnt mel give an A to the crappy Pats? i thought there draft sucked canal water...

AJKCFAN
04-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Yahoo's Jason Cole adds to the Chiefs "A" grades

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-2008afcdraftgrades042808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Kansas City Chiefs
Picks: DT Glenn Dorsey, G Branden Albert, CB Brandon Flowers, RB Jamaal Charles, TE Brad Cottam, S DaJuan Morgan, WR Will Franklin, CB Brandon Carr, OT Barry Richardson, WR Kevin Robinson, DE Brian Johnston and TE Michael Merritt
Positives: Dorsey, Albert, Flowers and Charles
Negatives: Cottam and Franklin
Bottom line: A. Losing DE Jared Allen to get a bunch of picks still hurts, but that relationship was broken beyond repair. The Chiefs resisted all temptations to move either up or down, stood pat and got perhaps the most dynamic defensive player in the draft in Dorsey and a terrific talent on the offensive line in Albert. Both are great building blocks for the future. Flowers gives the Chiefs a much-needed infusion of youth since veteran Patrick Surtain might be close to the end. Charles provides some speed at running back and he could be a possible successor to Larry Johnson.

dj56dt58
04-28-2008, 10:58 AM
didnt mel give an A to the crappy Pats? i thought there draft sucked canal water...

Their the Pats..they get an A in life

xbarretx
04-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Their the Pats..they get an A in life

i guess b/c there first pick IMHO had reach all over it. :shrug:

DT58HOF
04-28-2008, 11:09 AM

Cut Huard? what if we lose the first few games 10-7 14-7, ur telling me we keep playing Brodie even knowing he will not be out future?
Huard could end up playing again.

xbarretx
04-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Cut Huard? what if we lose the first few games 10-7 14-7, ur telling me we keep playing Brodie even knowing he will not be out future?

no, b/c we can then find out what Thigpen has. no need to waste another season to win an extra game or two... this is rebuilding afterall right?

Hoover
04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Better put this one in there ROFL

My grade of our first day: C+

I love the Chiefs, but I hated what we did our first day.

You can't criticize us in terms of value or talent -- we ended up with three of the most talented players from this weekend altogether. Dorsey was a brilliant pick, and probably the best possible option we could have had.

But Albert is completely unproven at tackle. Guard is an awful position to Draft nonetheless. Giving up two picks for him seemed like a disasterous decision. Flowers is incredibly talented but he's got so many character concerns my brain is exploding.

Here's hoping we continue drafting talented players. But here's hoping we avoid some of the sloppy decisioin making from an absolutely zany day one.

Coogs
04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Gosselin weighs in as well...

Grade Comment

Arizona B
The Cardinals needed to address their pass defense, which ranked 28th in the NFL last season. CB Rogers-Cromartie was a steal at 16 and defensive ends Campbell, Iwebema and Harrington can help dial up the heat up front.

Atlanta B
The Falcons gave their fans hope – and also slammed the book shut on the Michael Vick era – by drafting Ryan at 3. Atlanta had the best third round of this draft with two DBs for the 23rd-ranked pass defense and WR Douglas.

Baltimore C
The Ravens needed a quarterback and probably overextended for Flacco. New head coach John Harbaugh didn't forget his special teams roots when he drafted safeties Zbikowski and Nakamura and WR Smith.

Buffalo
C The Bills came away with the best cornerback and best kick returner in the draft, and it's the same player – CB McKelvin. WR Hardy gives the Bills a huge target in the red zone. He's a great complement for speedy WR Lee Evans.

Carolina B
The Panthers had the best seventh round, landing a pass rusher in Taylor and two blockers in Bernadeau and Schwartz. Getting OT Otah and RB Stewart in the first round will help the Panthers re-establish the running game.

Chicago A The Bears subscribe to the big-school drafting philosophy and found quality throughout the draft. WR Bennett in the third, S Steltz in the fourth, CB Bowman in the fifth and WR Monk in the seventh were all value picks.

Cincinnati C
The Bengals were the one team that did not shy away from character players (once again). LB Rivers and S Lynch have impeccable character and will be the face of this draft class. DTs Sims and Shirley can be boom or bust.

Cleveland C
The Browns did remarkably well for not having a pick in the first four rounds. MLB Bell could have an impact as a rookie in the NFL's 27th-ranked run defense, and Hubbard and Rucker can help diversify the passing attack.

Dallas B
The Cowboys were cruising along with a great draft until reaching for LB Walden in the sixth. RB Choice in the fourth and CB Scandrick in the fifth were superb second-day selections. RB Jones will be a boon to the special teams.

Denver C
Denver needed help for its defense, which ranked 19th in the league last season. But coach Mike Shanahan is an offensive genius, so the Broncos used their first three picks to bolster the league's 11th-ranked offense.

Detroit A
The Lions wanted to make this a defensive draft and selected three potential starters in the first three rounds. But their offense, the NFL's worst last season, may benefit even more from the arrival of OT Cherilus and RB Smith.

Green Bay B
The Packers traded out of the first round and then turned in the best second round of the draft. Brohm gives them insurance for Aaron Rodgers, Lee gives them another big corner, and Nelson is a big-body, big-play receiver.

Houston C
Desperate for an offensive tackle, the Texans reached deep into the first round to claim Virginia Tech's Duane Brown with the 26th overall selection. Molden could be the home run of this draft if the Texans show patience for two years.

Indianapolis C
There were six quality centers in this draft, and the Colts claimed three of them: Pollak, Justice and Richard. Those three will also work as guards. Indy had the best sixth round, adding Justice, RB Hart and TE Santi.

Jacksonville C
There were four elite pass rushers in this draft, and the Jaguars came away with two of them, DEs Harvey and Groves. Southern California alum Jack Del Rio stayed true to his school by drafting LB Williams and RB Washington late.

Kansas City A+
The good fortune began when Outland Trophy-winning DT Glenn Dorsey slid to them at five. The Chiefs drafted seven players who had third-round grades or better. A quantity draft (12 picks) quickly evolved into a quality draft.

Miami C
Chad Henne and Jake Long helped take Michigan to four consecutive bowls. The Dolphins are hoping they can continue working their bowl magic in South Florida. DE Philip Merling has the size up front that Bill Parcells likes.

Minnesota C
The Vikings sent their first- and third-round picks to Kansas City in the deal for NFL sack leader Jared Allen, which slowed this draft down. But getting S Johnson at No. 43 was a bargain, and Booty provides insurance at quarterback.

New England C
The Patriots have a different draft board than most, targeting specific skills rather than positions. Mayo can play all four linebacker spots, Crable is an edge rusher, and Slater is the best special teams player in the draft.

New Orleans B
The Saints wanted to come away with a defensive tackle and tried to trade up for Dorsey and for Ellis, succeeding in landing Ellis. Risky Nicks is the best run blocker in the draft, and Arrington is one of the best possession WRs.

N.Y. Giants C
Like the Bears, the Super Bowl champion Giants love big school players, and they have an affinity for Michigan players in particular. Manningham was the beneficiary in 2008. Phillips steps in for free-agenct defection Gibril Wilson.

N.Y. Jets C
The Jets landed the best pass rusher and the best pass-catching tight end in the draft. San Jose State's Lowery also was one of the best ballhawks available. Ainge could stoke an already-heated quarterback competition.

Oakland C
Pencil in RB McFadden as the favorite for NFL rookie of the year honors. Al Davis likes size and speed, and McFadden has plenty of both. Safety Branch, WR Shields and DE Scott are also prototype Raiders who play speed games.

Philadelphia C
After coming up short in the offensive tackle market, the Eagles bailed out of the first round. DT Laws will provide the Eagles an inside rotation on defense, and WR Jackson and S Demps should have immediate impacts on special teams.

Pittsburgh C
Mendenhall was the steal of the draft at No. 23. Teaming with Willie Parker, the Steelers will have two offensive speeds – fast and faster. The play-action game will never be better. QB Dixon has Slash-like potential.

San Diego C
Cason replaces free-agenct defector Drayton Florence in San Diego's cornerback rotation, and FB Hester was arguably the highest character player in this draft. He was an investment in the future success of LaDainian Tomlinson.

San Francisco C
The 49ers didn't have many picks but smartly took the value as it arrived up on the draft board. Balmer, Rachal and Wallace will make the 49ers more formidable up front and Morgan could be a real find in the sixth with his speed.

St. Louis A
Long will be a great complement up front to last year's top pick by the Rams, Adam Carriker. They will be two of the highest motor defensive linemen in the league. Avery and Burton inject fast legs into an aging receiving corps.

Seattle C
The Seahawks took a kicker and a deep snapper to bolster the NFL's 14th-ranked special teams unit. Jackson adds size on defense, and Carlson will give QB Matt Hasselbeck a dependable underneath receiver.

Tampa Bay C
The Buccaneers made one of the biggest reaches of the draft, taking WR Dexter Jackson in the second round. He projected as a fifth-rounder. But GM Bruce Allen recovered nicely in the second day with Moore, Johnson, Hayes and Boyd.

Tennessee B
The Titans needed offensive speed and landed the fastest player in this draft in RB Johnson. Tennessee had the best fourth round of the draft, taking big school producers Hawkins and Kegler and small-school riser Hayes.

Washington C
New coach Jim Zorn can build the offense to his liking with the first-day selections of two wide receivers and a tight end. Thomas, Davis and Kelly all had first-round grades, and the Redskins found them all in the second.

DTLB58
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM

If we lose to the Patroits 10-7 I will be elated :eek:

StcChief
04-28-2008, 11:45 AM
If we lose to the Patroits 10-7 I will be elated :eek:
problem is he for got a 0..... 100-7

morphius
04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
With rebuilding you need to expect that, we already know that Huard is not the answer as QB here, it is time to move on.

xbarretx
04-28-2008, 12:04 PM
With rebuilding you need to expect that, we already know that Huard is not the answer as QB here, it is time to move on.

QFT, some OP rep is comming your way!

HemiEd
04-28-2008, 12:05 PM

Agreed, any PT Huard gets, is taking time from the development of QBOTF.

Have we heard this before?

Thig Lyfe
04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Negatives: Cottam and Franklin

Anybody who has seen the highlights of Cottam on YouTube would know that he's more likely to be a positive than a negative.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/me81Pm8ObaQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/me81Pm8ObaQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

As for Franklin, I don't know how good a pick he is, but he has a lot of speed and we needed a wideout, so why not.

Dave Lane
04-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Great plan! We have a toothpick of a QB that was repeatedly hurt last year and then??? Oh yeah that guy from New Hampshire thats 6' 0" tall great idea!

Dave

HypnotizedMonkey
04-28-2008, 12:31 PM
i gave it an F ... for F*CK YEAHH!! haha

AJKCFAN
04-28-2008, 04:07 PM
NFL.com Vic Carucci doesn't have letter grades, just separates teams into categories, highest being Impressive.

Chiefs were Impressive:

Kansas City Chiefs
It couldn't have started any better when LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, arguably the most dominant player in the draft, fell to them at No. 5. Dorsey can immediately be a difference-making force. The Chiefs traded up two spots from the first-round choice they received from Minnesota in the Jarred Allen deal to land Branden Albert, a standout offensive guard from Virginia who is nimble enough to play tackle. Physical cornerback Brandon Flowers (Virginia Tech), considered by some to be a first-round talent, was a good value on the second round. Third-rounders Jamaal Charles (running back, Texas), Brad Cottam (tight end, Tennessee), and defensive back DaJuan Morgan (defensive back, North Carolina State) should contribute.

Link:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=A9C053F0C98C66E71477076D5DCCA226?id=09000d5d8080a8e3&template=with-video&confirm=true