PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs OK I know it was only a 7th round pick, but....

Frankie
04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Why did we use it on yet another TE?

1- Was Mike Merritt a better value than say OG Eric Young, WR Marcus Monk or DE Tommy Blake (a 1st round talent with controlable depression?)

2- Might the Chiefs be making a huge Fullback out of him?

What do y'all think?

Blindside58
04-27-2008, 07:01 PM
your #2 is dead on. Herm even eludes to it in his post draft press conference.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 07:02 PM
We also essentially only have 1 TE.

beach tribe
04-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Really? what did he say? Nevermind. I'll look it up.

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Because he's a good blocker and if all else fails, he could be moved inside.

Frankie
04-27-2008, 07:05 PM

Seriously?

I feel like a Football wiz.

dirk digler
04-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Herm

The last guy, Michael Merritt, is a guy who played at Central Florida who we brought in here also. He’s a tight end who’s a phenomenal blocker. When you watch this guy block he is unbelievable.

Blindside58
04-27-2008, 07:07 PM
It was actually a pretty long explanation about his blocking skills and a reporter asked him specifically about coaching Merritt up at the full back spot and and he shook his head in agreeance saying "exactly...exactly" It is on kcchiefs.com at the very end of the 16:00 minute presser.

eazyb81
04-27-2008, 07:07 PM
1. Gailey uses more TEs in the offense than our previous scheme - this has been said over and over and over again on here.

2. By all accounts he is a fantastic blocker. He is a guy that will be extremely useful in short-yardage situations as he is an asset in the running game but also is capable of catching a pass if the defense cheats up too much.

3. It's a f'n 7th round pick. At that point you're looking for guys that can fill a role, not develop into Pro Bowl players.

veist
04-27-2008, 08:18 PM
its a 7th rd pick its basically the team going "we like this guy enough that we don't want to have to compete to sign him as an UDFA."

HolmeZz
04-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Merritt's a blocker, Cottam's a receiver.

Chiefaholic
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Fullback my ass... Our short yardage and outside runs have been shit ever since Jason Dunn hurt his back. Brad Cottam was hopefully drafted to replace an aging Gonzalez. Merritt will hopefully fill the void left by the loss of Dunn.

B_Ambuehl
04-27-2008, 09:16 PM
They're gonna need a backup TE and a blocker once Tony G is traded away next offseason. Might as well start developing him now. I have a feeling that Tennessee kid wasn't brought in here to sit around on his ass for the next 4 years waiting for Tony to retire. Michael Allan is more of a receiver and this cat sounds like he could be the next Jason Dunn.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-27-2008, 09:29 PM
They're gonna need a backup TE and a blocker once Tony G is traded away next offseason. Might as well start developing him now. I have a feeling that Tennessee kid wasn't brought in here to sit around on his ass for the next 4 years waiting for Tony to retire. Michael Allan is more of a receiver and this cat sounds like he could be the next Jason Dunn.

:spock:

Cottam is built like Antonio Gates, not Jason Dunn

We can't trade Tony or LJ. We just can't. It fists our cap.

J Diddy
04-27-2008, 09:35 PM
We also essentially only have 1 TE.

what is allen?

Mecca
04-27-2008, 09:36 PM
It just means the Chiefs will use alot of multiple TE sets and both guys they took are capable of blocking with Cottam also have good upside as a receiver.

Mecca
04-27-2008, 09:36 PM
what is allen?

I don't think he's gonna be on the team...

B_Ambuehl
04-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Cottam is built like Antonio Gates, not Jason Dunn

We can't trade Tony or LJ. We just can't. It fists our cap.

I wasn't talking about Cottam being the next Jason Dunn I'm talking about this 7th round TE being the next Jason Dunn. Cottam will be our receiving TE after Tony G's gone. I don't think the cap hit to move Tony G would be excessive next offseason.

Frankie
04-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Merritt's a blocker, Cottam's a receiver.

So if we can find a way to fit them both in one uniform we can have a hell of a TE on the field. :hmmm: