PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs seem to have confidence in Croyle

Hammock Parties
04-29-2008, 12:32 AM
http://kan.scout.com/2/750948.html

Almost everybody was happy with the Chiefs’ draft this weekend. Herm Edwards, Bill Kuharich and Carl Peterson all looked satisfied at the wrap-up press conference, talking heads and football writers praised KC’s draft like never before, and fans everywhere were jubilant.

But no one should be happier over the draft than quarterback Brodie Croyle (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698850). From start to finish, the 12 players Kansas City chose Saturday and Sunday were reflections on how much confidence the franchise has in Croyle's abilities as a starter.

Speculation ran rampant that the Chiefs might select Matt Ryan (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3723385) – the nation’s top quarterback prospect - after an army of Kansas City coaches, scouts and front officers invaded his Boston College pro day earlier this offseason. Herm Edwards talked up Ryan’s talents in the media, and a photo of Edwards sitting next to Ryan, grinning ear to ear, certainly gave some observers pause.

Ryan wound up going to the Atlanta Falcons at the third pick. The Chiefs never appeared to make an effort to trade up and grab him. Neither ESPN nor the NFL Network reported anything early in the draft that would lead anyone to believe such an attempt was made (rumors did fly concerning the Ravens).

With their second first-round pick, Edwards and company traded up to get offensive tackle Branden Albert (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3542598), ignoring the second quarterback off the board – Delaware’s Joe Flacco (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3347356), who fell two spots later to Baltimore.

The Chiefs had other opportunities to grab a quarterback, particularly in the fifth and sixth rounds when six of them came off the board, but passed.

What does all of this mean? Edwards and his coaching staff evidently have all the faith in the world that Brodie Croyle has a future as an NFL quarterback. If the draft is any indication, they’re prepared to enter 2008 with Croyle under center leading an offense full of other inexperienced players.

In fact, it’s not just who the Chiefs didn’t take in the draft that leads us to this conclusion. It’s who they did take, with seven of their 12 picks – offensive players.

Kansas City’s draft retooled Chan Gailey’s offense at every level. The Chiefs added two offensive linemen, two wide receivers, two tight ends and a running back. Somewhere, Dick Vermeil was probably getting weepy.

If Albert and sixth-round pick Barry Richardson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3724381) pan out as offensive tackles (and can keep Croyle healthy, a major issue right now), KC’s protection problems will be largely solved. Should fourth-round selection Will Franklin (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2974804) become Gailey’s deep threat (Franklin ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at the NFL combine), the Chiefs will have the perfect complement to Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698848).

Kansas City’s third-round selection, tight end Brad Cottam (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3723957), had injury issues in college, but just might be the perfect replacement for Tony Gonzalez (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698854) (6-foot-8 receivers who run 4.6 don’t grow on trees). Running back Jamaal Charles (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3723954) gives the offense a home-run threat and restore the mountain-sized chip on Larry Johnson's shoulder.

That’s a boatload of talent for a team with major questions at quarterback. There was speculation this offseason from Sports Illustrated’s Peter King that Edwards might draft someone like Ryan or Louisville’s Brian Brohm (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3726989) to buy himself more time as he attempts to build the Chiefs from the ground up. But judging from the way the draft played out, Edwards has no such anxiety about his job security.

So yes, the Chiefs gave Croyle plenty of support with the draft. Clearly, there was a good reason why he was featured in videos on KcChiefs.com this offseason as a youthful leader. Now it’s his job to reward the vote of confidence cast in his direction by taking advantage of all the weapons he was provided with.

He can start by winning an NFL game, to date an accomplishment that has escaped his grasp. How many wins will it take for Croyle to stick as the Chiefs’ quarterback? We know Clark Hunt wants to see improvement, so set the goal at seven. The Chiefs shouldn’t expect more out of Croyle than what Denver’s Jay Cutler (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3689930) (and Troy Aikman) delivered in his second season as a starter.

Anything less, and Herm can always get his quarterback next year. Peter King’s prediction might still be accurate, just a year early.

KCChiefsMan
04-29-2008, 01:20 AM
I didn't get to watch most of the 2nd half of the season last year. So I didn't get to see a whole lot of Brodie, is he really that bad? His numbers don't look horrid for a first time starter

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
I didn't get to watch most of the 2nd half of the season last year. So I didn't get to see a whole lot of Brodie, is he really that bad? His numbers don't look horrid for a first time starter

He isn't,Croyle has what it takes to win, but he was running for his life last season and didn't have the chance to settle in the pocket and pick the opposition apart.

Rausch
04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
I didn't get to watch most of the 2nd half of the season last year.

Lucky b@st@rd...

Mecca
04-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Look he has talent he just gets hurt alot, we'll see how this goes.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2008, 01:39 AM

Huard gives us the best chance to win.

Mecca
04-29-2008, 01:40 AM

Don't make me smack you...

kcchiefsus
04-29-2008, 01:54 AM

And then you realize we are not trying to win now. There would be absolutely no benefit at all to start Huard over Croyle.

CrazyPhuD
04-29-2008, 01:56 AM

What the title of fewest fans in a season?

DaneMcCloud
04-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Whoever wrote this stole the premise from KCJ, who posted it earlier yesterday.

While I TOTALLY DISAGREE with this assumption, to write this article 36 hours after the draft is unconscionable at best.

WEAK WPI NONSENSE.

Rausch
04-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Whoever wrote this stole the premise from KCJ, who posted it earlier yesterday.

Shocker.

CrazyPhuD
04-29-2008, 02:00 AM
WEAK WPI NONSENSE.

Is there any other kind?

HMc
04-29-2008, 02:01 AM
agree Dane.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Mecca
04-29-2008, 02:03 AM
It probably helped that it wasn't really a good QB year, look at the Ravens for example of this...

philfree
04-29-2008, 02:03 AM

That was last year right before Huard tossed for umpteen INTS.....God damn boy? :shake:

PhilFree:arrow:

kcxiv
04-29-2008, 04:29 AM

He's not horrible. He made some awesome throws, but my concern is, is he going to get enough blocking to allow for him to make decent throws. Can he stay healthy? My answer to both questions is, i really dont know. He seemed to get nicked up by falling down and no one touching him. That bothers me.

Well, we are going to find out now. The starting job is all his and no one is there to steal it.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2008, 02:46 PM
The starting job is all his and no one is there to steal it.

Don't sleep on Thigpen. He's got to get a lot of reps this preseason.

el borracho
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, that certainly is the optimistic view, isn't it? It could also be that the Chiefs are still largely uncertain what they have in Croyle (and, if you believe the hype, Thigpen) and want to use this year to evaluate their young QB(s). Or it could be that they wanted to draft Ryan but failed to move up for him. Or it could be that the Chiefs didn't like any of the QBs in this year's draft. Or it could be that the Chiefs, realizing they need everything, actually did stick to their draft board instead of reaching for any particular position (moving up for Albert as the lone exception).

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Croyle's biggest knock is his health. If he can stay realvity healthy he can be a pretty good quarterback. Heck he survied the cess pool that is Alabama football and ended up being a star, that should say alot about him.

Hoover
04-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Chad Pennington is only a phone call away :D

Hammock Parties
04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Chad Pennington is only a phone call away :D

LOL I was talking to Nick last night and he thinks the Chiefs are going to sign him at some point before training camp if the Jets release him. This place will meltdown.

siberian khatru
04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Don't sleep on Thigpen. He's got to get a lot of reps this preseason.

And the low rumbling gets a little louder.

I'll say this: I'd like to see him play some more before I write him off. Hell, Trent Green was an 8th-round pick who made something of himself.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Joe Montana used to get hurt alot too. They have sort of similiar builds.

We'll see i guess......

I still say if he doesnt show improvement/promise this season, thats all he gets. The Chiefs have virtually nothing invested in him $$ wise.

BigVE
04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
We were tied with SanFran for the MOST SACKS ALLOWED last year. With the O-line we had NOBODY would do well. Croyle has not yet received an opportunity to be properly evaluated. If we can give him more than .5 seconds to make a throw he might just surprise some people.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Or it could be that they wanted to draft Ryan but failed to move up for him. Or it could be that the Chiefs didn't like any of the QBs in this year's draft.

I think the Chiefs would have snagged Ryan had he been there. (Which would have most likely meant that Dorsey would have been gone)

As for the other QB's this year, the Chiefs obviously felt none offered good value. IM surprised they passed on Brohm though...

The Franchise
04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I think the Chiefs would have snagged Ryan had he been there. (Which would have most likely meant that Dorsey would have been gone)

As for the other QB's this year, the Chiefs obviously felt none offered good value. IM surprised they passed on Brohm though...

I for sure thought they were going to trade back up into the 2nd round the more Brohm and Henne fell.

BigVE
04-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I for sure thought they were going to trade back up into the 2nd round the more Brohm and Henne fell.

Curious,anyone know, how did those 2 guys rate compared to Brody coming out of college?

MTG#10
04-29-2008, 03:59 PM
LOL I was talking to Nick last night and he thinks the Chiefs are going to sign him at some point before training camp if the Jets release him. This place will meltdown.

I wont be mad if we sign Pennington...as long as we cut Huard and ONLY let him play if Croyle and Thigpen are hurt.

KCJohnny
04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Croyle under Solari and Croyle under Gailey are apples and oranges. Solari, a neophyte at signal calling was nursing along a truncated version Al Saunders' Air-Coryell playbook with its Euclidian motions, shifts, options, reads and check downs that did NOT include an audible system.

Gailey will operate a run-first offense simplified to feature the athletic abilities of the play-makers on the squad.

Croyle had no running game and no pass protection last year. Having just one of those problems hurts 80% of the league's QBs. Finishing #32 in both categories is a no-win situation. Taking out all 7-step drops and most 5-step pass plays severly limited Croyle's options.

Croyle under Gailey remains to be seen. The slate is clean in my view. Start all over.

I wonder where Clayton got the idea for this thread?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=183891
:spock:

Rasputin
04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
He's not horrible. He made some awesome throws, but my concern is, is he going to get enough blocking to allow for him to make decent throws. Can he stay healthy? My answer to both questions is, i really dont know. He seemed to get nicked up by falling down and no one touching him. That bothers me.

Well, we are going to find out now. The starting job is all his and no one is there to steal it.

A knee in the back & he twisted his hand while making a tackle. Other wise he took some heavy hits got back up and would deliver a strike. Remember the hit in da Bears game, dusted him self off and started an impressive drive untill numbnutts RB Michael Bennet fumbled the ball. I've been on his bandwaggon since he played for Alabama and was exited we drafted him. Now lets see what he can do. Yes injuries are still a concern but he can get the job done.

kcchiefsus
04-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Croyle under Solari and Croyle under Gailey are apples and oranges. Solari, a neophyte at signal calling was nursing along a truncated version Al Saunders' Air-Coryell playbook with its Euclidian motions, shifts, options, reads and check downs that did NOT include an audible system.

Gailey will operate a run-first offense simplified to feature the athletic abilities of the play-makers on the squad.

Croyle had no running game and no pass protection last year. Having just one of those problems hurts 80% of the league's QBs. Finishing #32 in both categories is a no-win situation. Taking out all 7-step drops and most 5-step pass plays severly limited Croyle's options.

Croyle under Gailey remains to be seen. The slate is clean in my view. Start all over.

I wonder where Clayton got the idea for this thread?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=183891
:spock:

True. I think we are all understimating what Gailey can do for the development of Croyle. I mean, look what Gailey did with a nobody like Kordell Stewart. I think Gailey's coaching can have a big impact on Brodie Croyle.

Hydrae
04-29-2008, 06:09 PM
With their second first-round pick, Edwards and company traded up to get offensive tackle Branden Albert, ignoring the second quarterback off the board – Delaware’s Joe Flacco, who fell two spots later to Baltimore.

Ummm, 18-15=3

pr_capone
04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Ummm, 18-15=3

HOWE DARE YOU CORRECT HIS.... erm, oh wait

ROFL

Reerun_KC
04-29-2008, 06:27 PM
True. I think we are all understimating what Gailey can do for the development of Croyle. I mean, look what Gailey did with a nobody like Kordell Stewart. I think Gailey's coaching can have a big impact on Brodie Croyle.
Gaileys coaching will have a big impact on this team...

The offense will go as far as Herm will let Gailey take it...