PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Judge:Putting together a solid draft, round by round

huskerdooz
04-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Didn't see this posted, my apologies if it's a repost.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10805234/1

A pretty decent article. Kuharich comes clean on the New Orleans offer.

"We didn't send in the card right away because if somebody got ridiculous we could move back," Kuharich said. "But we wouldn't go beyond 10. So we weren't fielding calls from anybody below New Orleans, and New Orleans called to offer us their first and seventh this year and their first in '09.

"That was an easy 'no.'

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 09:54 PM
I think he was right to turn down that deal. There is a huge gap in talent between Dorsey and whoever we would have taken at 10, and a mid first rounder isn't enough to bridge that in my mind. Its nice to have alot of picks when you're rebuilding, but you also want to get those elite prospects when you can take them.

Mecca
04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Plus odds are New Orleans will make the playoffs next year...

Marco Polo
04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
That is interesting because it was reported that NO was offering it's 1st and 2nd this year and 1st for next year for #5.

What else is interesting is no talks of their LT who was supposedly being offered.

doomy3
04-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I bet Schefter just misunderstood what was said during the draft. "Seventh" kind of sounds like "Second."

the Talking Can
04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
why even include a 7th when you're trying to trade into the top 5?

seems dumb, or insulting

huskerdooz
04-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Here is the entire article:

Tell me that for one brief moment last weekend Bill Kuharich, vice president of player personnel for the Kansas City Chiefs, didn't feel like Leonardo DeCaprio's character in Titanic. You know ... "I'm the king of the world!"

The Chiefs needed a blocking tight end and they got one in Brad Cottam. (US Presswire)
"No," said Kuharich, "because there was a lot of hard work that went on, and I didn't make the picks. Carl (Peterson, the team's president) and Herm (Edwards) did.

"I got all the support from the scouts who helped me line up the board, which was my job. I got the board aligned, made suggestions when asked and let Carl and Herm pick the apples off the tree."

OK, fine, but Kuharich still deserves a curtain call. Because everywhere you turned Monday people were congratulating the Chiefs for one of the best drafts in recent history.

It's not just that they got it right; it's that they aced the exam, with Kuharich & Co. finding value with nearly all of their 12 draft picks.

They started by taking defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. He was the top player on their board. Then they moved up to grab Branden Albert, the top guard in the draft. Cornerback Brandon Flowers was next, followed by star running back Jamaal Charles and DuJuan Morgan -- someone one NFC club ranked as its top safety.

I think you get the idea. This was Home Run Derby, with Kuharich clearing the fence with almost every swing. Hail to the Chiefs. They ran a near-perfect draft, and Kuharich is here to explain how.

First round
Taking Dorsey with the first pick was a no-brainer, but here's my question: What if he hadn't been there? What if Atlanta chose him with the third pick instead of quarterback Matt Ryan? Then what?

"We would've taken a defensive lineman or an offensive tackle," Kuharich said. "I don't want to get into it, but we also would've looked to trade out."

The Chiefs didn't look anywhere after Dorsey fell to them, and why should they? When I spoke to Kuharich months ago, he was drooling over the guy -- lamenting only that he wouldn't be there when the Chiefs picked.

As it turned out, he was.

"We didn't send in the card right away because if somebody got ridiculous we could move back," Kuharich said. "But we wouldn't go beyond 10. So we weren't fielding calls from anybody below New Orleans, and New Orleans called to offer us their first and seventh this year and their first in '09.

"That was an easy 'no.'

"We got calls from New England, too, though I didn't know who they wanted. In our opinion, it was either (Vernon) Gholston or Dorsey, but it might've been somebody else. Anyway, it never got to the stage of 'What are you willing to pay?' We were focused on New Orleans, and when they came up short we just picked him."

Advertisement

To get Albert, the Chiefs moved up two spots from the 17th position. Kansas City needs offensive linemen like Arizona needs water, and with Albert and tackle Jeff Otah still there at 15, the Chiefs couldn't afford to wait.

"Ryan Clady came off the board at 12, and that's where we figured the run on tackles would start," Kuharich said. "We knew Houston and Philadelphia wanted to get above us, but we didn't know whom they were looking for.

"We thought either (Chris) Williams or Otah was going to go to Chicago, and, as it turned out, it was Williams. So there were two (offensive linemen they were interested) left, and that's when it got a little dicey.

"We knew there were two teams behind us that wanted a tackle, and we knew there was a possibility Detroit wanted a tackle, too. So Arizona calls and says, 'Philadelphia has called to leap over you. What do you want to do to go up one spot?' That's when I told Carl to get on the phone with Matt Millen to see if we can get to 15.

"I was nervous about going one spot (to Arizona) because whoever's behind us could go to 15. So we cut the deal, and we got the guy we wanted."

Second round
Prior to the draft the Chiefs resolved with their first three choices to try to take an offensive lineman, a defensive lineman and a cornerback.

They had Dorsey, and they had Albert. That left a cornerback, with Flowers -- whom the Chiefs ranked no lower than 30th in this draft -- still on the board.

At the 35th spot, he was a slam dunk.

"It didn't take us long to make that pick," Kuharich said. "Nobody called to get up to that spot, and he's a Cover-Two corner. He fits what we're doing. So it was like, 'OK, he's the guy. Let's go.'"

Afterward, the Chiefs fielded calls from clubs below them wondering if they wanted to package two of their three third-round picks into a deal that would put them in the lower half of the second.

Kansas City declined.

"We were ahead of schedule," Kuharich said. "Plus, we felt the board was so good, we would wait until the next day. We had multiple positions and multiple players who were still there, so we were good with whatever came off."

Third round
With the first of their three third-round picks, the Chiefs chose Charles, mostly because they were surprised he was there. They were interested in him and Central Florida's Kevin Smith, but Smith disappeared at the top of the round, and the Chiefs figured Charles would follow.

He did, but not until they took him.

"It was easy, because we went by our board," Kuharich said. "Charles was our highest-rated player at a position we had not picked.

"It came down to how Charles fits us. He's a complementary back to Larry (Johnson) because he's a different style. He's a space runner. He's fast. He has good hands. He's productive. And we had him rated in the second round."

The Chiefs also considered Penn State linebacker Dan Connor at the 73rd spot but felt they were deeper at that position than running back.

"We have only three running backs on the roster, and all three of them got hurt," Kuharich said. "In the nine (second-day) picks we had, we were going to address a running back. So this was easy. We had the best running back on the board."

Three choices later, they had tight end Brad Cottam from Tennessee, a run blocker who should fit in nicely with the Chiefs' plan to hammer opponents with Johnson and, yes, Charles.

"We need a blocking tight end," Kuharich said. "Yes, he has some durability issues, but he immediately becomes Jason Dunn."
At the 82nd spot, the Chiefs found Morgan, and what looked like a good draft suddenly started shaping up as a bullet-proof one.

"He was our second safety behind (Kenny) Phillips," Kuharich said. "We liked this guy from a year ago when we were watching (their third-round choice) Tank Tyler. We were watching tape, and number 7 kept showing up.

"I remember Herm asking, 'Who's this number seven?' And. I said, 'Don't worry about it. We'll talk about him next year.'

"He's not Bob Sanders, but he has Bob Sanders qualities. He's a ferocious tackler. He loves the game. He has passion. He throws his body around. He's tough. He's physical. But in no way is he a reflection of what we feel about (Bernard) Pollard or (Jarrad) Page.

"He's going to be a good special teams player, and he was the highest rated player on our board. There were other positions equally valued, but we had him rated at the bottom of the second round, and we were at the bottom of the third."

Fourth round
I don't know much about Missouri wide receiver Will Franklin, other than he caught a lot of passes (48) his junior year and is someone who can stretch the field -- both of which are why the Chiefs were interested.

"He has 4.37 speed and good hands," Kuharich said. "There were four or five receivers we were talking about at that time, but in their offense -- which was a spread offense -- he was productive, and he's a home-run threat because of his speed.

"At the end of the discussion, with the other wide receivers that were there, we were looking for someone who could stretch the field. His value was that he fit that criterion."

Fifth round
Of all the Chiefs picks, cornerback Brandon Carr might've been the closest to a reach. But Kansas City had him placed in the fifth round, loved his size (he's 6-feet, 207 pounds) and felt he fit its defense. When Edwards spoke up for Carr, he was chosen.

"This is someone whom Matt Littlefield, our area scout, found," Kuharich said. "He's a physical, Cover-Two corner who's a very good tackler and is very, very smart.

"We brought him in (prior to the draft), and Herm quizzed him about angles, pedal and 'windows' in the Cover-Two; how you open your hips, and what you look for in crossing routes coming the other way and so forth. And he nailed it.

"So he understands football, and he understands coverages. We hope we found Herm Two."

Kansas City considered other options here, like another wide receiver or offensive tackle. In the end, the Chiefs settled on Carr because they didn't trust the competition to stay away from him.

"We were afraid to go in the sixth with him because that's when people tend to go scattershot on players," Kuharich said. "We had him rated here, so we said, 'Let's take him.'"

Sixth round
I admit it -- I didn't know much about sixth-rounders Barry Richardson and Kevin Robinson, either. Richardson is a tackle from Clemson; Robinson a wide receiver/kick returner from Utah State. Both fill needs, and I'll let Kuharich explain.

"Richardson was a left tackle, but he's going to be right tackle for us, Kuharich said. "He's a massive man who is more of a run blocker. He can knock you off the ball, but he needs to grow as a pass blocker.

"He fits what we're going to do as a power team, with moving people off the ball, and he has a chance at right tackle. We don't have anyone penciled in there, so he's going to compete for the position."

And Robinson?

"He had eight touchdowns by returns in career, four on punt returns and four on kickoffs," Kuharich said. "He was the star of a team that struggled offensively, and they tried to get him the ball any way they could -- with hitches, slants, double reverses.

"He has marginal speed but really good quickness and a strong lower body to break tackles. What sold me on him was at the East-West game he returned a punt 70 yards and caught a touchdown pass. He showed the same things that game that he showed on his college tape, and we need to find a punt and kickoff returner."

Seventh round
With defensive end Brian Johnston and tight end Mike Merritt, the Chiefs put an exclamation point to one of their best drafts ever. Johnston is a pass rusher they hope can become the next Jimmy Wilkerson; Merritt could be the fourth tight end on a team that may, just may, play without a fullback.

"In my 22 years (in the NFL) the only draft (I've been involved with) that compares to this was when I was with New Orleans, and we had Willie Roaf and Irv Smith in the first round (1993)," Kuharich said.

"We also got Lorenzo Neal; Derek Brown, who became our leading rusher in 1994; and Tyrone Hughes, who was Devin Hester before Devin Hester. We didn't have 12 draft choices then. We had eight. But we had two No. 1s, and that puts you ahead of schedule. And that's what happened this year."

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 10:04 PM
They must have been high on Carr if they took him in the 5th because they were afraid he wouldn't be there later.

And Richardson is going to play RT, I wonder how this fits with Carl saying Albert is going to play at RT.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2008, 10:04 PM
"So he understands football, and he understands coverages. We hope we found Herm Two."

Sounds like they knew what they were doing with Carr. I trust Herm when it comes to CB's. This guy will be a starter within 3 years. I'd bank on it.

Buns
04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
I am down for not carrying a FB and carrying 4 TE

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
They must have been high on Carr if they took him in the 5th because they were afraid he wouldn't be there later.

And Richardson is going to play RT...

Well, they're saying Albert is going to play RT this year. I think Richardson is a depth guy that they hope progresses by the time Albert probably switches to the left side.

the Talking Can
04-29-2008, 10:08 PM
interesting article

nice to read about our front office and not feel embarrassed for once...

Rausch
04-29-2008, 10:10 PM
I am down for not carrying a FB and carrying 4 TE

I don't like 2TE over Blocking FB.

A FB can go into pass patterns but our TE won't be lining up in the backfield.

Mecca
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
They aren't gonna carry 4 TE's I don't think Allan has a spot on the team because he isn't a good blocker....and he isn't a good enough receiver to warrant it.

Carr in every report was described as an "athlete" the fact that he knows how to play his position to makes me more comfortable with him.

Ecto-I
04-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Great read. Thanks

teedubya
04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Can you imagine how shitty it would have been if Carl traded #5 to the Patriots, and they get Dorsey. Dorsey helps them win 3-4 more superbowls....

That shit wouldn't have surprised me either... I almost expected it.

KcMizzou
04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
interesting article

nice to read about our front office and not feel embarrassed for once...It's amazing to see the The Chiefs be so frank and honest. I don't remember ever reading anything like that from the Chiefs front office.

I agree with their reasoning.... makes sense.

KcMizzou
04-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Can you imagine how shitty it would have been if Carl traded #5 to the Patriots, and they get Dorsey. Dorsey helps them win 3-4 more superbowls....

That shit wouldn't have surprised me either... I almost expected it.That would have been...

Ugh.. I don't even wanna think about it.

Mecca
04-29-2008, 11:24 PM
The Pats would have taken Gholston that was why they called they new the Jets were going to pick him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2008, 11:29 PM

That shit wouldn't have surprised me either... I almost expected it.

Well except for the fact that he's not a 3-4 lineman...

Hammock Parties
04-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Is Carl wrong about Albert to RT, then?

I admit it -- I didn't know much about sixth-rounders Barry Richardson (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/502346) and Kevin Robinson (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/419683), either. Richardson is a tackle from Clemson; Robinson a wide receiver/kick returner from Utah State. Both fill needs, and I'll let Kuharich explain.
"Richardson was a left tackle, but he's going to be right tackle for us, Kuharich said. "He's a massive man who is more of a run blocker. He can knock you off the ball, but he needs to grow as a pass blocker.
"He fits what we're going to do as a power team, with moving people off the ball, and he has a chance at right tackle. We don't have anyone penciled in there, so he's going to compete for the position."

Mecca
04-29-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't think they've really decided what they're gonna do....I think both those guys are gonna start and I think they think the same other than that it's kinda up in the air.

KcMizzou
04-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Does anyone remember the Chiefs ever running down each pick, and why they picked them?

Either they're so proud of their draft, they're finally willing to spill it... or they're taking a new approach (with the media and fans) entirely.

Mecca
04-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I think this is a new approach, today they drove Dorsey and Albert around to all the radio stations and they'd never do that before...things seem to be way different.

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 12:06 AM
I think this is a new approach, today they drove Dorsey and Albert around to all the radio stations and they'd never do that before...things seem to be way different.It's refreshing.

The Chiefs have been a tight-ass and tight lipped franchise for years. Dorsey has the personality to be a team leader, a fan favorite, and the face of the franchise.

I think the Chiefs realize that, and they're getting him out there so the fans get to know him.

It's a big change. I don't think it's Carl's doing.

tk13
04-30-2008, 12:14 AM
I think Kuharich definitely deserves some props for the draft. He kinda came in here with a spot on his record because he was pushed into that Ricky Williams deal, but to be honest I don't think he's done that bad of a job with the Chiefs. And I wouldn't be surprised if he truly deserved more credit than anyone else for the preparation of this draft. He at least seems committed to preparing for these drafts and sticking to the board they prepare.

DaneMcCloud
04-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Is Carl wrong about Albert to RT, then?

I think he has to be wrong about it or it's the usual Carl "smokescreen".

Why in the hell do you draft a natural left guard/tackle at #15 overall, then move them to the other side?

If they move him, I'm going on record saying it was a wasted pick.

You don't draft a right tackle at #15.

Oh Snap
04-30-2008, 12:29 AM
That is interesting because it was reported that NO was offering it's 1st and 2nd this year and 1st for next year for #5.

What else is interesting is no talks of their LT who was supposedly being offered.

yea, me and my buddy were like, you take that. Two first rounders for a team that is rebuilding TAKE IT!!! But upon further inspection, or whatever, how often is it that you get the 5th pick in the NFL draft (raiders obviously aside)?

We earned that draft pick, and we had the best player in the entire draft fall right into our laps. From what Ive heard in regards to dorsey, he is one of those special DTs that only comes around every 13 to 20 years.

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 12:38 AM
yea, me and my buddy were like, you take that. Two first rounders for a team that is rebuilding TAKE IT!!! But upon further inspection, or whatever, how often is it that you get the 5th pick in the NFL draft (raiders obviously aside)?

We earned that draft pick, and we had the best player in the entire draft fall right into our laps. From what Ive heard in regards to dorsey, he is one of those special DTs that only comes around every 13 to 20 years.Yeah, I was all about trading down with the Saints for their LT Brown and the 10th pick....

I assumed Dorsey would be long gone.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 12:44 AM
I just found out that Will Franklin is related to Darnay Scott.....he gets a point I was a fan of the Blake/Pickens/Scott trio in Cincy when I was younger.

the Talking Can
04-30-2008, 05:44 AM
Does anyone remember the Chiefs ever running down each pick, and why they picked them?

Either they're so proud of their draft, they're finally willing to spill it... or they're taking a new approach (with the media and fans) entirely.

a definite signal that Carl-ism is on the wane....his paranoia and pointless arrogance are being replaced by elements of Clark, Herm ,and Kuhariahkiahkuharaivic....

DaKCMan AP
04-30-2008, 05:49 AM

Why in the hell do you draft a natural left guard/tackle at #15 overall, then move them to the other side?

Many teams draft a LT and have him play the first year or two at RT before moving him over to LT. I don't think we'll know who will play where until TC and preseason rolls around, but I also wouldn't call Albert a wasted pick if he starts out at RT. You want your 5 best lineman on the field and if that means Albert starts off at RT, then so be it.

patteeu
04-30-2008, 06:03 AM

Just because you play RT your rookie year doesn't mean you are a RT for life. John Tait was drafted around there and spent some time at RT. Alex Barron in St. Louis was a mid 1st round pick (although apparently they aren't overly happy with his RT play). I suspect you could find a lot of OTs drafted in the mid 1st round who spent some time at RT.

DTLB58
04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
I think Kuharich definitely deserves some props for the draft. He kinda came in here with a spot on his record because he was pushed into that Ricky Williams deal, but to be honest I don't think he's done that bad of a job with the Chiefs. And I wouldn't be surprised if he truly deserved more credit than anyone else for the preparation of this draft. He at least seems committed to preparing for these drafts and sticking to the board they prepare.

I agree :clap:

I like this guy, I like listening to him because I think he sounds like he really knows what he is talking about and is very confident in it as well.

I hope he sticks with the chiefs for time to come.

StcChief
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Switch to #10 and their #7 this year, and their #1 (likely in high 20s) 2009.....

no wonder we said no.

DTLB58
04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
I think he was right to turn down that deal. There is a huge gap in talent between Dorsey and whoever we would have taken at 10, and a mid first rounder isn't enough to bridge that in my mind. Its nice to have alot of picks when you're rebuilding, but you also want to get those elite prospects when you can take them.

Exactly, at some point on Saturday we had to start picking players and in the top half of the draft I would rather take quality over quantity. Turns out we were able to get both last weekend. :clap:

CanadianChief
04-30-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't like 2TE over Blocking FB.

A FB can go into pass patterns but our TE won't be lining up in the backfield.

Whatever happened to Lorenzo Neal? Did anyone ever sign him? Why not bring him in to block for LJ?

huskerdooz
04-30-2008, 10:42 AM
The Pats would have taken Gholston that was why they called they new the Jets were going to pick him.

Too bad we didn't attempt to leverage a pick from the Jets to keep NE from getting Gholstein. Although there was no guarantee that the Jets wouldn't have just selected Dorsey instead of Gholstein.

DaKCMan AP
04-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Why not bring him in to block for LJ?

Umm.. why would you want to?

DaKCMan AP
04-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Too bad we didn't attempt to leverage a pick from the Jets to keep NE from getting Gholstein. Although there was no guarantee that the Jets wouldn't have just selected Dorsey instead of Gholstein.

Bingo.

Dave Lane
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
It's amazing to see the The Chiefs be so frank and honest. I don't remember ever reading anything like that from the Chiefs front office.

I agree with their reasoning.... makes sense.

Kuharic is a breath of fresh air. Its really nice to hear the thought process he put into this draft. This guy is an obvious professional that can reign in Carl and Herms bad drafting pasts.

Dave

RedThat
04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I hope Dorsey is the real deal. Offering a 1st rounder for next year plus this years 1st rounder is a LOT of value and the Chiefs turned that down. I hope Dorsey is good.

ct
04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I think this is a new approach, today they drove Dorsey and Albert around to all the radio stations and they'd never do that before...things seem to be way different.

The fans bailed on em last year, they have to do something to get em back. With this draft, and the interviews I'm reading from Clark, I'm guessing the fans will be back full force by the home opener.

Are we just a flock of sheep? Maybe, but things just seem different. But you get burned so many off-seasons, you just can't trust anymore. Anybody else feelin this?

keg in kc
04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Interesting read. I don't know that I've ever read that kind of insight into a draft before.

keg in kc
04-30-2008, 11:57 AM
The change you guys are talking about started months ago. Carl's had much less of a presence publicly. He still does some interviews but he's generally not the focus in press converences any more.

I don't know if that's a reflection of anything changing behind the scenes or not...

This offseason certainly indicates a change in philosophy, however, in terms of player acquisition.

Easy 6
04-30-2008, 12:00 PM

I agree, put the guy at LT from day 1 & let him learn in the fire.

Sure, guys get moved around all the time...but it "can" be disastrous for their development. Its not a stretch to say he's immediately our best athlete on the line, so i hope they put him in the obvious spot for the best athlete.

the Talking Can
04-30-2008, 12:02 PM
The fans bailed on em last year, they have to do something to get em back. With this draft, and the interviews I'm reading from Clark, I'm guessing the fans will be back full force by the home opener.

Are we just a flock of sheep? Maybe, but things just seem different. But you get burned so many off-seasons, you just can't trust anymore. Anybody else feelin this?

all a fan wants is to know that the team is trying...and given how long it has been since we did anything competently, or did anything as daring as trading Allen for picks and starting over, most people are genuinely kind of giddy....

i enjoy watching young talented players learn how to play, as opposed to watching old players suck ass (last year)...and if they show development towards the last 6 games everyone will be stoked...

Dylan
04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Plus odds are New Orleans will make the playoffs next year...

Mecca, please don't join the "Fortune Tellers" club. :D

huskerdooz
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I agree, put the guy at LT from day 1 & let him learn in the fire.

Sure, guys get moved around all the time...but it "can" be disastrous for their development. Its not a stretch to say he's immediately our best athlete on the line, so i hope they put him in the obvious spot for the best athlete.

This way we can have an idea if we think he is going to be a cornerstone LT otherwise we may need to draft Oher next year.

Easy 6
04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
This way we can have an idea if we think he is going to be a cornerstone LT otherwise we may need to draft Oher next year.

Exactly.

milkman
04-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Just because you play RT your rookie year doesn't mean you are a RT for life. John Tait was drafted around there and spent some time at RT. Alex Barron in St. Louis was a mid 1st round pick (although apparently they aren't overly happy with his RT play). I suspect you could find a lot of OTs drafted in the mid 1st round who spent some time at RT.

John Tait is really a bad example.

He was displaced by Willie Roaf in KC.

Well, you say "Yeah, one of the all time greats at LT, so sure, they had to move him."

But now, Chicago has drafted Chris Williams because they aren't all that excited about Tait at LT.

milkman
04-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Whatever happened to Lorenzo Neal? Did anyone ever sign him? Why not bring him in to block for LJ?

We're going with youth, and Neal is about 100 years old.

CanadianChief
04-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Umm.. why would you want to?

Cause we need a fullback.

CanadianChief
04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
We're going with youth, and Neal is about 100 years old.

Checked his age...he'll be 38 in December....damn that is old.

J Diddy
04-30-2008, 12:41 PM

I doubt we use a fullback too much

I see alot of singleback double te sets in our future

especially since herm creamed all over the 7th round picks blocking ability

Easy 6
04-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Checked his age...he'll be 38 in December....damn that is old.

Yep, a real Methusela...i bet he can still clear the hole, but thats the extent of his abilities.

Not only is he old, but he's the very definition of a 'One Trick Pony'.

I'll take youth & versatility.

Monty
04-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Yep, a real Methusela...i bet he can still clear the hole, but thats the extent of his abilities.

Not only is he old, but he's the very definition of a 'One Trick Pony'.

I'll take youth & versatility.

Agreed. And I guess I don't see any reason that we can't line up Merritt as a FB from time to time. If he can block as well as advertised, why not give that a shot?

Easy 6
04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Agreed. And I guess I don't see any reason that we can't line up Merritt as a FB from time to time. If he can block as well as advertised, why not give that a shot?

I guess i short changed him a lil, he's also darn good in pass pro...but nonetheless, the guys simply too old.

With Merritt, yeah that'd be great...if he can reach his guy with that kind of size, he'll engulf people.

Coogs
04-30-2008, 01:05 PM

We brought in one from Georgia Tech. Supposed to be a pretty good one too.

Monty
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
I guess i short changed him a lil, he's also darn good in pass pro...but nonetheless, the guys simply too old.

With Merritt, yeah that'd be great...if he can reach his guy with that kind of size, he'll engulf people.

Yeah, it remains to be seen whether he's fast enough to function as a FB, but I do believe there's some time between now and the first game to sort that out. ;)

keg in kc
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Where Albert starts may depend on how other guys look. If Richardson or Svitek look like they can't handle the job, I think I'd rather see McIntosh at LT than RT. That's a little bit easier introduction to the position for Albert, as well, with the TE usually lined-up on that side.

I don't think we're taking a LT regardless of where he plays this year, anyway. It's not about where he starts now, it's about where he ends up starting a year or two down the road.

BigChiefFan
05-01-2008, 03:15 PM
This is for you, Mecca...

The Chiefs also considered Penn State linebacker Dan Connor at the 73rd spot but felt they were deeper at that position than running back.

I thought you said Connor wouldn't fit in the cover two?

Dan Connor is a stud-we should have drafted him.