PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs will see if Hali can fill Allen’s shoes

C-Mac
04-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Chiefs will see if Hali can fill Allen’s shoes (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/598109.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

It’s an easy thing to forget now, blotted out as it was by Jared Allen’s breakout season and the monster contract it earned him from the Minnesota Vikings.

But just two seasons ago, Tamba Hali, then a rookie, led the Chiefs in sacks with eight, or one-half more than Allen.

The events of the last year made that feel so long ago to Hali, so long ago that maybe he dreamed it rather than lived it. Though he finished with 7 1/2 sacks, Hali was still so far behind the league-leading Allen and his 15 1/2 that he occasionally felt like a failure.

“I used to look at Jared and I’d get frustrated because he’s such a good player, and there were times when I felt I didn’t reach his standard,” Hali said. “He was sacking the quarterback all the time and I wasn’t keeping up with him.”

The trade sending Allen to the Vikings guarantees Hali nothing because the comparisons will still be there. But the Chiefs are trying to boost Hali by moving him into Allen’s vacated position, the traditional spot for a team’s premier pass rusher because the right defensive end usually attacks the quarterback’s blind side.

The Chiefs have to make up Allen’s 15 1/2 sacks from somewhere. They won’t all come from Hali, but they are asking him to again be their leader.

“Tamba Hali is probably the most underrated player in the NFL when it comes to rushing the passer,” defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said. “All people look at is how many times he sacked the quarterback. What they don’t look at is how many times he made the quarterback move. He was a force rushing the passer all year long. I don’t know how many sacks he missed when he tried to strip the ball and the quarterback got away.”

Conventional wisdom was that the Chiefs had to draft an end over the weekend to replace Allen. By the time their first choice rolled around at the fifth pick, the best end, Virginia’s Chris Long, had been taken by St. Louis.

“There were some ends in the draft that we could have had, but at that pick we couldn’t take them,” said coach Herm Edwards, indicating the Chiefs didn’t believe Ohio State’s Vernon Gholston or Florida’s Derrick Harvey were worth the fifth pick.

“The best player defensively was the guy we took (tackle Glenn Dorsey). From there, you figure out what you’re going to do. We had to move some guys around. We feel good about Tamba. We feel we can put him over there and he’ll be OK.

“He can handle it. I think he’ll enjoy it more.”

Hali was also envious of Allen at times, or at least the position Allen played. There are some advantages to playing on the right side as opposed to the left, where Hali lined up for most of the last two seasons.

Not only does the right end usually attack the quarterback’s blind spot, but he usually has no tight end to contend with. Most teams station the tight end on the right side of the offensive formation.

“It’s kind of like a free hit on the quarterback from that position,” Hali said. “I’m kind of looking forward to it.”

Edwards predicted Hali would finish next season with 11 or 12 sacks. Cunningham wouldn’t commit to a number other than to say Edwards’ guess could be low.

“I’m not going to say Tamba Hali is going to get 15 sacks because he’s playing on the right side,” Cunningham said. “I have to let that play out. The thing we need to find out is how comfortable he’ll feel on the right side. With all of the skills he’s shown, he’s certainly shown he can be a double-digit sack guy over there.

“It’s easier when you come from the right side to do that like Derrick Thomas did it and Jared Allen did it. They were coming from the quarterback’s blind side. When you come from the other side like Tamba’s been doing it, you’re right in the quarterback’s vision. That’s going to help him.”

Hali would have been much closer to Allen’s sack total last year had he finished several sacks that he lost when the quarterback escaped his grasp.

“There’s a lot of pressure on all of us to get the ball out,” he said. “That’s what I usually go for. A lot of times the quarterback got away because I was focused on stripping the ball. I know I’ve got to secure the sack first. I’ll do that more this year.”

The Chiefs aren’t counting on Dorsey to keep up with Hali in the sack race. They are expecting his presence to be imposing and help the other rushers, Hali in particular.

They will unchain him in the middle of their line and hope he chases quarterbacks right to Hali.

“He’s got the power and the athletic skills to make a lineman trying to block him miss,” Cunningham said. “We don’t even know exactly what he can do at this point. I can’t wait to start working with him and we can figure that out.”

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Brian Johnston shall be the sleeper pick that will awe everyone. :rockon:

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
“Tamba Hali is probably the most underrated player in the NFL when it comes to rushing the passer,” defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said. “All people look at is how many times he sacked the quarterback. What they don’t look at is how many times he made the quarterback move. He was a force rushing the passer all year long. I don’t know how many sacks he missed when he tried to strip the ball and the quarterback got away.”

I hate to say this, but this reminds me of what the coaching staff used to always say about Hicks.

Hopefully Tamba can have a better season this year and continue from where he left off as a rookie.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Gunther told us Hali missed five sacks clean because he was going for the ball or didn't wrap the QB up.

BTW, I totally called this 12 days ago.

http://kan.scout.com/2/747332.html

C.E. Wendler: How about moving some players around? I’ve always thought Tamba Hali (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3698856) was a little small at left defensive end (he had issues against the run last season). He might benefit from switching to Allen’s old spot, where he wouldn’t be forced to butt heads with tight ends so often. Turk McBride would fit nicely at Hali’s old spot, especially if the Chiefs draft a defensive tackle in the first round this year.

Rausch
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
I have yet to be impressed by Hali. I'd love to be proven wrong this year...

Mecca
04-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Glenn Dorsey should make our average ends look really good, Sapp carried scrubs like Chidi Anatou and Chester McGlockton made Hicks a 13 sack guy...

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I have yet to be impressed by Hali. I'd love to be proven wrong this year...

He's been solid, but not top tier

Hammock Parties
04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Glenn Dorsey should make our average ends look really good, Sapp carried scrubs like Chidi Anatou and Chester McGlockton made Hicks a 13 sack guy...

Yep. As many times as Hali beat his guy around the corner last year only to watch the QB step up in the pocket because our DTs couldn't get any push, if Dorsey makes a difference, Hali should get 10 sacks easy, if not more.

I'm more worried about his ability to stay healthy.

Messier
04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I really like Hali. I think this could be a big year for him. He lead the team in sacks his rookie season, last year he was hurt most of the year and still got 7.5 and I could see him easily getting into double digits this year.

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm still worried that we won't have any speed rushers, but thats something we need to look for in next years draft.

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I really like Hali as well. Since he'll finally have some pressure up the middle to help him out, I think he'll have a very nice sack total this season.

PastorMikH
04-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Had a chuch board one time tell me in an interview that if I came to their church to be their pastor I'd have some big shoes to fill from their last pastor. I told them I didn't plan on wearing his shoes, I planned on bringing my own.

Hali needs to quit worring about other DEs and focus on burying the QB.

milkman
04-29-2008, 10:36 PM

That's the thing.

Dorsey will make average ends like Tamba Hali look better.

He'll make LBs look better, and because he's making those guys better, the secondary will look better.

There isn't another player in this draft who could have the overall impact on a unit that Glen dorsey will have on defense.

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm still worried that we won't have any speed rushers, but thats something we need to look for in next years draft.

Brian Johnston (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182224)

the Talking Can
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Hali can get 10 sacks if he stays healthy.

I'm more concerned about our run defense.

Very curious to see how Dorsey, Boone, Tank play together.

The Boone that played the first 8 games + Dorsey should be interesting.

Basileus777
04-29-2008, 10:53 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182224

KC does check this thread out

Doesn't he weigh 275-280? He seems like more of a LE, not a speed rusher.

Mecca
04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
I'd rather they start Tank and let Boone rotate in, so Tank can gain experience and get better from playing.

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Doesn't he weigh 275-280? He seems like more of a LE, not a speed rusher.

Gardner-Webb product Brian Johnston, a rising prospect for this April's NFL Draft, wowed scouts at his first workout Saturday. Working out at San Diego State for a handful of NFL scouts, Johnston showed exactly why he is one of the top defensive end prospects heading into April's annual draft. Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 274 pounds, Johnston ran his first 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds. Johnston's 40-yard dash time would have been the fourth best at the NFL combine for defensive ends, and the best for any lineman weighing more than 260 pounds. Johnston's most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas' running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year. Johnston pulled off an impressive 35-inch vertical leap as well on Saturday, which would have ranked second among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine - and best for a player of his size. The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston's time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL's Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event - with Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time. - Shelby Star

Mecca
04-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Johnston has to get a shot we don't have any other options honestly......guys like Dingle and Saint-Dic have some upside from what I saw in college there could be some finds here with these young guys.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2008, 11:20 PM
I'd like to see Hali/Dorsey/Tyler/McBride for the line this year. Turk and Tank were 2nd and 3rd rounders respectively. I expect picks that high to play major roles. Herm drafted them, let's see what they've got.

MadMax
04-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I'd rather they start Tank and let Boone rotate in, so Tank can gain experience and get better from playing.

I heard that :) It makes so much more sense

KCChiefsMan
04-29-2008, 11:35 PM
I've always liked Hali, he has been overshadowed by Allen. But I think Hali has been in the backfield causing trouble that many haven't given him credit for. Moving him to the other side will help him and with Dorsey making a good push up the middle will definately help him. Hali is coming into his 3d season and I think we will be fine with him

RINGLEADER
04-29-2008, 11:36 PM

13 sacks? Try 14 sacks.

The fact that he wasn't able to figure out a way to get Carl to bend over and pay him an 8 figure bonus always amazed me.

Hammock Parties
04-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Hali coming off the right side. BOOYAH.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2389/halisack2tq1.gif (http://imageshack.us)

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/181/halisacknx8.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Hammock Parties
04-29-2008, 11:39 PM
13 sacks? Try 14 sacks.

The fact that he wasn't able to figure out a way to get Carl to bend over and pay him an 8 figure bonus always amazed me.

I think it was because he got hurt at the end of that 14-sack year. No way he had leverage to get a big deal after that.

Smed1065
04-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Like nickie even knows, She had 4 of 7 picks on O.....LIKe peanuts knows.

LOL

He covered the LJ lost play book to suck up for a press pass. After a premium pass in the $99.00 advertisement.

He thought he could not lick enough azz. After pimping it, then saying I was out CP'ed!.......I said it was insider info but U can not know cause I suck CPs dick and he said no.......

Sorry but I suck CP's dick......But you pay money for me to do it! I said it was inside info but it was not....

I stared and advertise it as an inside story but tell U I suk CP's dick. Guess U will be wrong again but suck dick? I take credit because I suk up!!!

LOL

Nick is a puss and I call her out. Am I wrong bout the playbook and he got caught as an inside source and CP said STFU nickie and he did as he kissed CP's azzhola......

Oh Snap
04-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Im going to say 9.5 sacks for hali this year. The defense will improve, but it wont be noticable till later on in the year. Lets face it, this team has no identity on either side of the ball at this point.

Oh Snap
04-30-2008, 12:00 AM
I've always liked Hali, he has been overshadowed by Allen. But I think Hali has been in the backfield causing trouble that many haven't given him credit for. Moving him to the other side will help him and with Dorsey making a good push up the middle will definately help him. Hali is coming into his 3d season and I think we will be fine with him

Yea, allen overshadowed every defensive player in the league, let alone Hali. Allen had such a phenomenal year last year. Hali is going to be a good DE, at the right end spot, it is remained to be seen if he will benefit from that move or not. I think he has a real good chance, hes got some kick ass tenacity.

KcMizzou
04-30-2008, 12:01 AM
That's the thing.

Dorsey will make average ends like Tamba Hali look better.

He'll make LBs look better, and because he's making those guys better, the secondary will look better.

There isn't another player in this draft who could have the overall impact on a unit that Glen dorsey will have on defense.I don't think I've ever seen you (or Mecca) more excited about a player.

I'm a homer, I get excited about all of them. But this guy... man, everyone seems convinced he's a blue chip, solid lock on the NFL level.

MadMax
04-30-2008, 12:08 AM
I don't think I've ever seen you (or Mecca) more excited about a player.

I'm a homer, I get excited about all of them. But this guy... man, everyone seems convinced he's a blue chip, solid lock on the NFL level.

I agree, hell I feel like I'm feeding off the excitement around here after the draft. Enjoy we deserve some positives after the crap we've all been fed for too many years. :D This could very well be the foundation of something special.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 12:15 AM

It's all over it though, they took several guys I think will be outstanding players. If you had told me this team would add Dorsey, Flowers and Morgan to this defense I'd have probably told you to stop dreamin.

HMc
04-30-2008, 12:30 AM
i say run a 5 man line with JAMAAL at right end

SBK
04-30-2008, 03:30 AM
I think Hali will be a lot better than most of us think after this move. A Jared Allen part deux without all the beer.

the Talking Can
04-30-2008, 05:29 AM
the real question about Hali is his run D

it was pretty bad last year

C-Mac
04-30-2008, 08:07 AM

It will be interesting for sure, perhaps losing the tight end will help him in that area.

StcChief
04-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Good move until Brian Johnson can step up.

More upfront push, blitzes from DJ. .... is it football season yet.

boogblaster
04-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Hali will do alright at RDE ... He slants inside too much sometimes thus he gets blocked on some running plays but he'll do fine .....

DT Fan
04-30-2008, 09:06 AM
So do you put Dorsey next to Hali or do you put another DT between them?

Brock
04-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Like nickie even knows, She had 4 of 7 picks on O.....LIKe peanuts knows.

LOL

He covered the LJ lost play book to suck up for a press pass. After a premium pass in the $99.00 advertisement.

He thought he could not lick enough azz. After pimping it, then saying I was out CP'ed!.......I said it was insider info but U can not know cause I suck CPs dick and he said no.......

Sorry but I suck CP's dick......But you pay money for me to do it! I said it was inside info but it was not....

I stared and advertise it as an inside story but tell U I suk CP's dick. Guess U will be wrong again but suck dick? I take credit because I suk up!!!

LOL

Nick is a puss and I call her out. Am I wrong bout the playbook and he got caught as an inside source and CP said STFU nickie and he did as he kissed CP's azzhola......

Let me guess, glitter spray paint and a plastic bag produced this post.

Ultra Peanut
04-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Hali's flat-footed, you insensitive jerk.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Why didn't JA take his shoes with him?

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
So do you put Dorsey next to Hali or do you put another DT between them?

I'm thinking I can't wait to see a DL of:

Hali-Tyler-Dorsey-Boone :drool:

Good against the run, but plenty of pressure too....especially if we get DJ roaming the same side as Hali. :D

Ultra Peanut
04-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Why didn't JA take his shoes with him?Forgot to put 'em back on after he started dancing on the bar.

DaKCMan AP
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Why didn't JA take his shoes with him?

He's not in Kansas anymore..

milkman
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM

I've got to say, I've haven't been this excited about a pick since Art Still.

And this draft has me more excited than any in memory.

DaKCMan AP
04-30-2008, 10:08 AM

Wow. You're old.

milkman
04-30-2008, 10:14 AM
It's all over it though, they took several guys I think will be outstanding players. If you had told me this team would add Dorsey, Flowers and Morgan to this defense I'd have probably told you to stop dreamin.

Add the fact that we got out future LT at a better position than 5, it really was an outstanding draft.

A lot of people are still drooling over the prospect of drafting Oher or Smith next year, but if Albert is as good as I think he can be, and Richardson can play at a level that he's very capable of, then we look at one of those stud MLBs in that draft.

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
A lot of people are still drooling over the prospect of drafting Oher or Smith next year, but if Albert is as good as I think he can be, and Richardson can play at a level that he's very capable of, then we look at one of those stud MLBs in that draft.

True, but if a Pace/Walter Jones type franchise tackle is available one has to take him, because of the versatility of Albert you could slide him inside. Then KC would be insured of having a great O-line for years to come.

milkman
04-30-2008, 10:53 AM
True, but if a Pace/Walter Jones type franchise tackle is available one has to take him, because of the versatility of Albert you could slide him inside. Then KC would be insured of having a great O-line for years to come.

If Albert plays as well as I expect him to play at LT, and Richardson plays as well as he's capable of, then the Chiefs can target guard later in next year's draft, and still ensure that they have a great O-Line for years to come.

Drafting a Mualuga(sp) or Laurenitus then gives us the opportunity to build an outstanding team.

I was all over the idea of drafting Oher when it appeared that we might have a shot at Jake Long, but I firmly believe that Albert will be a cornerstone LT.

Makes drafting Oher an overkill pick.

MTG#10
04-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Hali will have 28 sacks this year.

DaKCMan AP
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Drafting a Mualuga(sp) or Laurenitus then gives us the opportunity to build an outstanding team.

People need to stop leaving Brandon Spikes out of the discussion when discussing stud MLB's available next year :cuss:

DaKCMan AP
04-30-2008, 11:05 AM

I'll take the under :D

KCJohnny
04-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Cover 2 depends on a team's ability to get max performance from all 11 defenders. It works great if you have 11 thoroghbreds. Last year the D had maybe 4. This year hopefully closer to the magic 11.

If Dorsey is what everyone seems to say he is, Cover 2 will be much more effective in 2008. Especially if any of these young DBs can join the lineup right away and improve the team speed and coverage.

Hali may get a lot of sacks, but JA was more than just sacks. Tipped balls, interceptions, tackles for losses, scoring TDs, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, etc... the man was a major disruption to any game plan. I hope Tamba can do some of that but I do not expect it.

DT Fan
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM

I agree with you. However, if you can get a Ray Lewis-type Middle Lineback to pair with Dorsey, we'll be ensured of having a great defense up the middle for years to come. Basically the same argument you are making, on the defense of the ball.

That's the beauty of this draft -- if Dorsey and Albert both live up to the hype, we'll have a lot of options to rebuild this team around so that by the time we get a QB, we'll be ready to compete again.

RedThat
04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Im a firm believer in defensive line rotation. Obviously the key to this DLine will be Dorsey, but I am honestly real pleased with the depth the Chiefs have on the Dline.

I'd like to see them give Hali a shot at RE. But I definetly want to all these guys play. Tank Tyler, Boone, McBride, Johnston not only to see what they have, but I think it is essentially important to keep fresh legs in there especially late in ball games. I think that makes a difference the guys don't wear down as quickly in games. But, I do want to see Dorsey, and Hali in the there for most of the snaps.

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
I was all over the idea of drafting Oher when it appeared that we might have a shot at Jake Long, but I firmly believe that Albert will be a cornerstone LT.

I'm not sure if he'll be a cornerstone franchise LT, but he'll be good. My case for it, is of couse is the BPA if a MLB is rated a top 10 prospect and at the same time there's an OT that's a top 5 prospect I'd take the better player if it's a MLB cool but if it's an OT I'll take the tackle without blinking an eye.

huskerdooz
04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I'll take the under :D

QFT

huskerdooz
04-30-2008, 12:06 PM

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. I can't recall where I read it or heard it but I recall one analyst stating that Albert could slide out to LT and be a quality starter but if left inside he had the potential to be a Pro Bowl Guard for 10-12 yrs. I kind of like the sound of that myself, as long as Richardson becomes the roadgrader RT that we hope he will.

Buehler445
04-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Good discussion in here guys. As far as Hali's production, I'm taking the wait and see approach. Hali is not going to get more sacks because there is no TE and he is at the QBs blindside. He'll be going against LTs that get fat paid to protect QBs. If he does get increased production, it will be because of Dorsey.

All that being said, I don't care if his production takes a dive as long as the defensive unit moves forward. If he can make his plays, and the rest of the defense does the same, I'll take that over a 20 sack year, but we get ran all over. JMO.

Keep up the good discussion, men.

Easy 6
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM

ARE YOU ON DOPE???

He'll have atleast 40.

milkman
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
People need to stop leaving Brandon Spikes out of the discussion when discussing stud MLB's available next year :cuss:

Who?

:D

milkman
04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure if he'll be a cornerstone franchise LT, but he'll be good. My case for it, is of couse is the BPA if a MLB is rated a top 10 prospect and at the same time there's an OT that's a top 5 prospect I'd take the better player if it's a MLB cool but if it's an OT I'll take the tackle without blinking an eye.

You see, the thing for me is that I've believed that Albert was an OT for some time.

He has great size, agility, athleticism, and what I believe that Mike Mayock refers to as "Dancer's feet".

I believe that he will be the best LT out of this draft, and the best drafted LT for the Cheifs since Jim Tyrer, which means I think he will be better than John Alt.

J Diddy
04-30-2008, 12:23 PM
You see, the thing for me is that I've believed that Albert was an OT for some time.

He has great size, agility, athleticism, and what I believe that Mike Mayock refers to as "Dancer's feet".

I believe that he will be the best LT out of this draft, and the best drafted LT for the Chiefs since Jim Tyrer, which means I think he will be better than John Alt.

Bold prediction

I hope it comes true

huskerdooz
04-30-2008, 02:06 PM

I believe that he will be the best LT out of this draft, and the best drafted LT for the Chiefs since Jim Tyrer, which means I think he will be better than John Alt.

I did like it when I heard Albert on the radio comparing playing LT to playing defense in basketball when it came to the footwork aspect of it. Whether you call them dancer's feet or a basketball players feet, as long as he excels at the position he is in is all I care about.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
I like Maualuga alot but this will be discussed at some point, is he a top 5 pick? His position will likely devalue that, there are plenty of teams/people that would never ever use a top 5 pick on a MLB.

milkman
04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
I like Maualuga alot but this will be discussed at some point, is he a top 5 pick? His position will likely devalue that, there are plenty of teams/people that would never ever use a top 5 pick on a MLB.

When I look at the position, I see guys like Tommy Nobis, Dick Butkus, Willie Lanier, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, among others.

I don't give a rat's as what other people, teams, might do.

If I can get a badass MLB, you better believe I'd take one top 5.

keg in kc
04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
We may not be selecting in the top 5 next year; there's no way of knowing. Wouldn't shock me if the team won 6 or 7 games and ended up picking closer to 10 or even in the low teens.

TRR
04-30-2008, 09:05 PM
KC's D Line could be better overall this season then it was last season. I think Hali is a tremendous talent, and the move to the right side will only benefit his game. He doesn't have to worry about a TE as much, and he doesn't have to face as many road-grader type OT's like there is on the left side (right tackle).

We all know that Allen wasn't great against the run either. Both he and Hali struggled in that capacity. If we can get a solid DE that can play the run efficiently, and Hali can just worry about rushing the passer, than this D Line could be a more consistent unit than in 07.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 09:41 PM
We may not be selecting in the top 5 next year; there's no way of knowing. Wouldn't shock me if the team won 6 or 7 games and ended up picking closer to 10 or even in the low teens.

As of now next years draft looks good up until about pick 20...

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2008, 09:57 PM
As of now next years draft looks good up until about pick 20...

The later round picks, upon review....look pretty solid too, IMHO. :shrug:

Mecca
04-30-2008, 09:59 PM
The later round picks, upon review....look pretty solid too, IMHO. :shrug:

I was trying to break it into tiers....I think there will be some top notch elite guys in next years draft...probably somewhere between 8-10, then there will be a 10-20 tier then it starts falling off, unless you are a big fan of taking a guard in the first round.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
I was trying to break it into tiers....I think there will be some top notch elite guys in next years draft...probably somewhere between 8-10, then there will be a 10-20 tier then it starts falling off, unless you are a big fan of taking a guard in the first round.

We won't be a top 10-12 team, so we SHOULD have at least one decent pick to add to this year's ass-raping, right? :shrug:

:hmmm:

Mecca
04-30-2008, 10:19 PM
We won't be a top 10-12 team, so we SHOULD have at least one decent pick to add to this year's ass-raping, right? :shrug:

:hmmm:

I expect us to pick top 5, we had a good draft and all but I don't think we have enough yet.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I expect us to pick top 5, we had a good draft and all but I don't think we have enough yet.

I'd agree....but an optimist would say "we aren't/weren't that far away, really...in the first place. I mean, 4-12 sucks but....we lost five of those games by 5 points or less. With LJ healthy, we could easily have been an 8-8 or 9-7 team.

I'm just sayin'.... :shrug:

Mecca
04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
I'd agree....but an optimist would say "we aren't/weren't that far away, really...in the first place. I mean, 4-12 sucks but....we lost five of those games by 5 points or less. With LJ healthy, we could easily have been an 8-8 or 9-7 team.

I'm just sayin'.... :shrug:

Just remember stats wise the Chiefs were an anomaly when they were winning games, it caught them.

A few points separate alot in todays game, I look at it this way with alot of young players there will be mistakes which can lose games as they learn. I don't really have a problem with it, it will take another draft to get this team up to being able to be competitive.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Just remember stats wise the Chiefs were an anomaly when they were winning games, it caught them.

A few points separate alot in todays game, I look at it this way with alot of young players there will be mistakes which can lose games as they learn. I don't really have a problem with it, it will take another draft to get this team up to being able to be competitive.

I'm guessing 6-10 is the WORSE we do this year, looking at the schedule. .500 would be entirely possible, but would suck bad because....it could save King Carl's job. I'm hoping for something to simultaneously DOOM Peterson, "Promote" Herm to the F.O., and bring a Patriot/Colt's "assistant" to become our new H.C. next year.

You with me? :shrug:

;)

Hammock Parties
06-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I was going through some clips last night for my latest video...and here's proof that Hali can beat a first-round talent left tackle (Bryant McKinnie, who's not exactly Willie Roaf but a damn good player) around the edge and put a hurtin' on the QB:

http://i27.tinypic.com/dqhf9x.gif

http://i31.tinypic.com/2i6nthv.gif

stlchiefs
06-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Damn, DJ laid the pain on that one.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Damn, DJ laid the pain on that one.

Yeah I added that Friday night to the actual video...I forgot about that MEGA HIT...originally there was this lame clip of Wesley laying a mediocre hit on LaMont Jordan.

StcChief
06-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Hali if healthy can get the D back on track. Brian Johnson? we may have a few surprises for next year.

Dorsey shore's up this D big time IMO.

milkman
06-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I was going through some clips last night for my latest video...and here's proof that Hali can beat a first-round talent left tackle (Bryant McKinnie, who's not exactly Willie Roaf but a damn good player) around the edge and put a hurtin' on the QB:

http://i27.tinypic.com/dqhf9x.gif

http://i31.tinypic.com/2i6nthv.gif

Hell, I'm not even sure he's Damion McIntosh at LT.

His feet are slow.

I think Viking fans were hoping they'd draft a LT.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Hell, I'm not even sure he's Damion McIntosh at LT.

His feet are slow.

I think Viking fans were hoping they'd draft a LT.

For a guy with slow feet he's done pretty well the last three years. 18.75 sacks allowed in 48 games. Before that he had some problems.

milkman
06-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Looks like McKinnie forgot the snap count in that highlight.

The ball was almost already in the QB's hands, and Hali was already beside him before he moved from his stance.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Looks like McKinnie forgot the snap count in that highlight.

The ball was almost already in the QB's hands, and Hali was already beside him before he moved from his stance.

:rolleyes:

Because Arrowhead Stadium had nothing to do with that.

I think Hali can use that to his advantage as well as Allen did.

milkman
06-29-2008, 02:18 PM
:rolleyes:

Because Arrowhead Stadium had nothing to do with that.

I think Hali can use that to his advantage as well as Allen did.

So, great, Hali can get to the QB at Arrowhead.

Who cares about what he does on the road?

Hammock Parties
06-29-2008, 02:19 PM
So, great, Hali can get to the QB at Arrowhead.

Who cares about what he does on the road?

Why don't you give him a chance before announcing his complete and utter failure?

milkman
06-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Why don't you give him a chance before announcing his complete and utter failure?

Did I annouce that?

I question whether he can do the job, but I am not announcing anyhting, except that the video you posted here doesn't prove anything.

Hali is quick off the snap, so if the LT is slow out of his stance, then Hali has the advantage.

If, however, Hali doesn't get that first step advantage, then I have concerns.

Buehler445
06-29-2008, 02:29 PM

I don't think Hali is as big of a question mark as the LDE slot. I am really a giant fan of sticking whomever there and moving Boone back inside.

NFL16
06-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Just basing this on what I watched last season, I think that Hali will get burned in the running game often because he overshoots the running lane to get to the quarterback.

RustShack
06-29-2008, 02:39 PM
I want to see Brian Johnston at RE and Hali back at LE by the start of next year, hopefully BJ really comes along and that can happen at some point this season.

chiefs1111
06-29-2008, 03:42 PM

And this draft has me more excited than any in memory.

Yeah i really wish the season would hurry up and get here already,im really excited about seeing our young guys play this season,even if we are going to struggle.

chiefscafan
06-30-2008, 01:00 PM
i've said it once I'll say it again I like the brian johnston guy I feel he could be jared allen 2.0

Farzin
06-30-2008, 01:02 PM
I was listining to a show called "Inside the Huddle" after the draft. One person said "Mark my words, Brian Johnston will be a big key guy in three years."

Baby Lee
06-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Chiefs will see if Hali can fill Allen’s shoes
Is that a jab at Hali's Serengeti feet?

HemiEd
06-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Is that a jab at Hali's Serengeti feet?

It it wasn't, it should have been.

Demonpenz
06-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I get an ehhhh feeling about hali until I watch his college tapes. The motor and intensity is there. Needs to stay healthy

CoMoChief
06-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Our pass rush will suffer simply because we are gonna have a very young secondary.

No pass rush + young secondary = disaster

Of course if all goes planned Dorsey will be getting to the QB from an inside rush, something we havent had since Dan Saleamua, which REALLY helps any pass defense.

Having that said I absolutely HATE the fact in moving Boone over to LDE, that has John Browning written all over it.

keg in kc
06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I believe Hali will be as good as or better than Allen long-term *if* he's not one of those guys who is chronically injured. I think he could have a huge year on the right side.

Nightfyre
06-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Our pass rush will suffer simply because we are gonna have a very young secondary.

No pass rush + young secondary = disaster

Of course if all goes planned Dorsey will be getting to the QB from an inside rush, something we havent had since Dan Saleamua, which REALLY helps any pass defense.

Having that said I absolutely HATE the fact in moving Boone over to LDE, that has John Browning written all over it.
I disagree, I think having johnson unleashed + hali + dorsey on that side will make mayhem in the backfield. Homervision locked.