PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Report: Rams scouts, coaches wanted Dorsey

Marco Polo
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
According to Profootballtalk.com, "multiple league sources" claim the Rams' selection of DE Chris Long over DT Glenn Dorsey went against the will of the scouts and coaching staff.

The decision to go with Long may have come at the behest of team president John Shaw as the result of connections with Long's father Howie, Long's agent, and Rams' front office chief Billy Devaney. If this story has legs, it would be another case in a long line of dysfunction in the Rams' front office Apr. 30 - 10:40 am et

Dartgod
04-30-2008, 10:18 AM
If this had happened, Long wouldn't have made it to us either.

Thank you John Shaw!

Baby Lee
04-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah, after the Long pick and ESPECIALLY after the Avery pick, the local media was counting down to the Billick regime.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
ROFL ROFL

CosmicPal
04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Either way, they'll be happy with Chris Long on their team.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2008, 10:21 AM
They were just going with BFA, best friend available

morphius
04-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, it sounded like drafting Dorsey was against our HC opinion that we should trade down and get more picks.

Sure-Oz
04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I think they waited for a blockbuster type deal like a ricky williams thing for him, didnt get it, so may as well take him. He was the best player on most boards, and im happy we didnt trade down;.

the Talking Can
04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
awesome

blueballs
04-30-2008, 10:27 AM
The owner died recently
maybe ownership wasn't prepared like the CHief's was

StcChief
04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Lambs are good at screwing up.

Demonpenz
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
I haven't seen it anywhere but is Long's nfl equivilant Grant Windstrom in his prime?

StcChief
04-30-2008, 10:49 AM
The owner died recently
maybe ownership wasn't prepared like the CHief's was
the cheerleader is gone.... her kids are running the show. (aren't ready).

my buddy 'hosted' their draft VIP party.

Dave Lane
Well, it sounded like drafting Dorsey was against our HC opinion that we should trade down and get more picks.

Well I'm glad Kuharic was there to stop that crap.

Dave

huskerdooz
I haven't seen it anywhere but is Long's nfl equivilant Grant Windstrom in his prime?

This is probably a no no on this board but I think Chris Long will be every bit as good if not better than Jared Allen.

Deberg_1990
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Lambs are good at screwing up.

Didnt the Rams play in 2 Super Bowls in the past 8 years?

When did the Chiefs last play in one??

morphius
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
I think they waited for a blockbuster type deal like a ricky williams thing for him, didnt get it, so may as well take him. He was the best player on most boards, and im happy we didnt trade down;.
I hope I'm glad we didn't. Generally, if you get to pick the guy you have rated number one in ALL of the draft, I think you have to pull that trigger. Especially if it is at #5.

StcChief
04-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Didnt the Rams play in 2 Super Bowls in the past 8 years?

When did the Chiefs last play in one??
correct... Chiefs are 1-1 in SB appearances. Lambs are 1-2....

99 Rams had help....
off 5-11 season. SOS. Won some games they should have lost.Props the did win SB and the bandwagonners here appeared about 25 December....

01 Rams 'Greatest show on Turf' got out coached by BB. and haven't recoved from that loss.... oh the Bandwagonners are no were to be found.

what wouldn't Chiefs give to play in NFC W.

The Bad Guy
04-30-2008, 11:01 AM
correct... Chiefs are 1-1 in SB appearances. Lambs are 1-2....

99 Rams had help....
off 5-11 season. SOS. Won some games they should have lost.Props the did win SB and the bandwagonners here appeared about 25 December....

01 Rams 'Greatest show on Turf' got out coached by BB. and haven't recoved from that loss.... oh the Bandwagonners are no were to be found.

what wouldn't Chiefs give to play in NFC W.

Give me a ****ing break.

They had the best offense I've ever seen and played good defense.

Why do people make excuses as to why teams win the Super Bowl? It makes them look incredibly stupid.

DTLB58
04-30-2008, 11:07 AM
According to Profootballtalk.com, "multiple league sources" claim the Rams' selection of DE Chris Long over DT Glenn Dorsey went against the will of the scouts and coaching staff.

The decision to go with Long may have come at the behest of team president John Shaw as the result of connections with Long's father Howie, Long's agent, and Rams' front office chief Billy Devaney. If this story has legs, it would be another case in a long line of dysfunction in the Rams' front office Apr. 30 - 10:40 am et

front office chief Billy Devaney- I watched the Rams draft presser on Friday and this guy just sounded like a rumbling bumbling idiot. Then they had him on NFL Live also and he did the same on there. Really dosen't sound like he has a clue. :shake:

Baby Lee
04-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Give me a ****ing break.

Why do people make excuses as to why teams win the Super Bowl? It makes them look incredibly stupid.

The 99 Rams wasn't about their fortuitous schedule, it was about sucking so long that they had so many ultra-high draft pics they could even waste them on the occasional Lawrence Phillips and still collect blue chippers.
That, and bending the Colts over on Faulk.

Basileus777
04-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Drafting Long over Dorsey is completely retarded. Long is a nice prospect who has a great motor and won't be a bust, but how do you take him over the best DT prospect in years? I know Hamas has compared Long to Hansbrough, and I think Long is going to be a much better pro than Tyler could ever be, but you have to wonder if Long would have been taken there is he was black.

Frazod
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Either way, they'll be happy with Chris Long on their team.

Seriously, I don't think there's much of a downside here either way. I'd have been thrilled if Long had dropped to us. As it is, I'm thrilled with Dorsey.

DTLB58
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Seriously, I don't think there's much of a downside here either way. I'd have been thrilled if Long had dropped to us. As it is, I'm thrilled with Dorsey.

Agreed.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-30-2008, 11:40 AM
To be fair, Dorsey does have an injury issue. No.2 money you would like someone with a clean bill of health.

~& to be fair, I don't know how serious of an injury issue it is

Deberg_1990
04-30-2008, 11:42 AM

But when the Chiefs win one again, it will be "It was the toughest Super Bowl challenge ever!"

StcChief
04-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Give me a ****ing break.

Why do people make excuses as to why teams win the Super Bowl? It makes them look incredibly stupid.and only won by an ankle tackle at the end.... great game, if they were soo goood they would have blown Titans out.

keg in kc
04-30-2008, 11:48 AM
It's surreal to read an article like this and not see "Chiefs" or "Carl Peterson".

When was the last time we were the team that get lucky because someone else screwed the pooch?

Deberg_1990
04-30-2008, 11:48 AM
and bending the Colts over on Faulk.

I think the Rams gave the Colts a 2nd a a 5th rounder?? Wow..

But long term, it worked out well for both teams. The Colts replaced Faulk with E James, so obviously it worked out well all around.

oaklandhater
04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
To be fair, Dorsey does have an injury issue. No.2 money you would like someone with a clean bill of health.

~& to be fair, I don't know how serious of an injury issue it is

NflDraftScout.com's Howard Balzer reports there are "serious concerns" over the long-term effects of a stress fracture Glenn Dorsey suffered in 2006.

The stress fracture was in his right tibia. After taking a physical Saturday, Dorsey was sent to the hospital for additioning tests. Dorsey is not working out at the Combine due to a death in the family, but the tibia issue is reportedly now a "red flag" for some NFL teams

also jay galzer said the Flacons passed on him because there doctors said his fracture will be a big issue in 3-4 years.

Hoover
04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't think STL reached to take Long, I would have done cartwheels if we got him at 5, but am more thrilled about Dorsey.

The truth is if they would have taken Dorsey we would have been screwed. Long would have been gone by the time we pick and even if he was on the board I think we would have traded down to the 10 spot and took Albert, then took a DE or CB at 17.

i think we made out like bandits last weekend.

Basileus777
04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
There has been so much misinformation spread about Dorsey's injury (ie the secret surgery) that I don't really trust what some random draft site says.

keg in kc
04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't think STL reached to take Long, I would have done cartwheels if we got him at 5, but am more thrilled about Dorsey.

The truth is if they would have taken Dorsey we would have been screwed. Long would have been gone by the time we pick and even if he was on the board I think we would have traded down to the 10 spot and took Albert, then took a DE or CB at 17.

i think we made out like bandits last weekend.Yeah, that's the way I see it.

It was a convergence of things, the Allen trade, Dorsey sliding. If any one of those things doesn't happen...

I'm not saying it's luck, either. They made the moves they made and drafted the players they did, and they deserve all the credit in the world for it.

Now they need them all to show it on the field.

StcChief
04-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, that's the way I see it.

It was a convergence of things, the Allen trade, Dorsey sliding. If any one of those things doesn't happen...

I'm not saying it's luck, either. They made the moves they made and drafted the players they did, and they deserve all the credit in the world for it.

Now they need them all to show it on the field.First King Carl needs to get them signed and in camp on time.

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2008, 12:01 PM
NflDraftScout.com's Howard Balzer reports there are "serious concerns" over the long-term effects of a stress fracture Glenn Dorsey suffered in 2006.

I asked my pop about it( Doctor), and he said he'll be fine and these reports are bullshit.

keg in kc
04-30-2008, 12:03 PM
First King Carl needs to get them signed and in camp on time.I'm going to be stunned if Dorsey misses more than a week or 10 days of camp. I don't see anybody else holding out. I think they'll focus, particularly, on getting Albert in on time.

I think the FO considers this draft too important to screw up with holdouts, a la the Raiders last year.

oaklandhater
04-30-2008, 12:10 PM
I asked my pop about it( Doctor), and he said he'll be fine and these reports are bullshit.

I Agree and I also think its just the falcons trying to cover there ass.