PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports NBA: Avery Johnson fired!

Archie F. Swin
04-30-2008, 01:03 PM
wow

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/mavericks/2008-04-30-johnson-fired_N.htm?csp=34

DALLAS (AP) — The Dallas Mavericks have fired coach Avery Johnson.

Johnson leaves with an impressive resume after three-plus seasons, but Mavs owner Mark Cuban couldn't tolerate a bottom line of being 3-12 in the playoff since blowing a 2-0 lead in the 2006 NBA finals.

The Mavericks followed that disappointment by the embarrassment of being ousted by Golden State in the opening round last season in one of the biggest upsets in league history. They were just dumped in five games by Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets. Dallas didn't win a single road game against the Heat, Warriors or Hornets, an 0-9 skid that was too much to overcome.

The final slate on Johnson's tenure: 194-70 in the regular season, 23-24 in the playoffs.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-30-2008, 01:11 PM
YESSS!!!!!
Finally

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Avery will get another job. The Mavs however will not go anywhere in the playoffs until they decide to play D and quit trying to outshoot everyone.

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
YESSS!!!!!
Finally

Not his fault dude.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Not his fault dude.
umm yea it is, when you have a important game 4, and you have the momentem and you put in freaking JJ Berea at point, then you deserve to be fired. And plus hes a control freak and doesnt know how to use J Kidd. He wanted to use half court offense but you cant do that with J kidd. Avery is a good coach, but right now he is not a good fit with the Mavs.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Avery will get another job. The Mavs however will not go anywhere in the playoffs until they decide to play D and quit trying to outshoot everyone.
coach has to take responsibility for the letting them take jump shot after jump shot

Monty
04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
umm yea it is, when you have a important game 4, and you have the momentem and you put in freaking JJ Berea at point, then you deserve to be fired. And plus hes a control freak and doesnt know how to use J Kidd. He wanted to use half court offense but you cant do that with J kidd. Avery is a good coach, but right now he is not a good fit with the Mavs.

Well, acquiring J Kidd was one of those most idiotic moves I've seen in quite some time. If anyone needs fired, it's Cuban for setting that up in the first place. I had high hopes of the Mavs doing well in the postseason until they made this trade. You make a good point about J Kidd not being able to adjust to a half court offense.....truth is, he just isn't that good. Hopefully, Avery will get another shot elsewhere because this just wasn't his fault IMO.

FAX
04-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Avery will get another job. ...

Uncle Vic's Amazing Midget Circus is dialing the phone as we speak.

FAX

Monty
04-30-2008, 01:36 PM

FAX

ROFL

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2008, 01:37 PM

Cuban wanted an exciting high octane offense that shot all the time. That's what he got. That's not how you win championships though. THey should have tried to bring in a good big man instead of Kidd. It shows that their head is still in the wrong place.

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2008, 01:38 PM

FAX

I'll bet he's coaching another NBA team next year.

milkman
04-30-2008, 01:39 PM

The reality is, when your "guy" is a soft player like Dirk Nowitske, when the playoffs roll around, you have set your team up for failure.

FAX
04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll bet he's coaching another NBA team next year.

I'm sure you're right, Mr. BIG_DADDY. Avery is well liked, by all accounts. He'll certainly get at least one more shot.

FAX

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
The reality is, when your "guy" is a soft player like Dirk Nowitske, when the playoffs roll around, you have set your team up for failure.

Oh come on dude, he is the league's MVP. You're not making sense man. LMAO LMAO LMAO

Mr. Arrowhead
04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
how can you blame this on Dirk, He played great this series, he cant do it by him self. On the other hand you can blame Josh Howard and J kidd, they played horrible and got flat out owned in the series.

milkman
04-30-2008, 01:53 PM
how can you blame this on Dirk, He played great this series, he cant do it by him self. On the other hand you can blame Josh Howard and J kidd, they played horrible and got flat out owned in the series.

I thought the trade for Kidd was a bad one, and I'm not blaming Nowitske specifically for this series.

I'm just saying, whether in this series, or later, this outcome was inevitable, and firing Avery Johnson was the wrong move.

Monty
04-30-2008, 01:59 PM
I thought the trade for Kidd was a bad one, and I'm not blaming Nowitske specifically for this series.

I'm just saying, whether in this series, or later, this outcome was inevitable, and firing Avery Johnson was the wrong move.

I completely agree, but I'm not saying that the trade for Kidd was bad, it was absolutely stupid. :shake:

MIAdragon
04-30-2008, 02:02 PM
I completely agree, but I'm not saying that the trade for Kidd was bad, it was absolutely stupid. :shake:

Just another brilliant Cuban move.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm not an NBA expert... but, I do buy into the notion that while Dirk is greatness ... he needs a very talented (non Euro) counterpart to lead that team. I don't know if Avery should take all the blame, but Cuban calls the shots... and he can't be fired.

Dirk needs a young, driven badass for his #2 ... Kidd isn't that guy. Dirk is great and he's a good leader, but I just don't know that this team is going to find it's way back without a makeover. Terry disappers... Howard is probably already lighting up a joint... there are a couple of nice options, but they should have avoided the Kidd trade. It was just too much to give up.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Avery = Dick Vermeil

Mile High Mania
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Avery = Dick Vermeil

Everything = Dick to you

Hammock Parties
04-30-2008, 02:24 PM

You don't even understand what's going. The Mavericks have always been a good defensive team under Avery. Yeah they had some problems in this series.

The larger issue is Avery. He plays too many cranky old veterans. Naturally those slugs couldn't keep up with all the kids on New Orleans.

Avery's biggest sin is playing Jerry Stackhouse way too much. Stackhouse is horrible. He can't shoot, he can't play defense. Why is he still in the league? There are a handful of other worthless veterans Avery loves to play.

If Avery was smart he'd have put out a starting lineup of

Dampier C
Nowitkzi PF
Brandon Bass SF
Howard SG
Kidd PG

Bass is a force in the paint and an incredible young talent. He was great in this series. And yet Avery played Stackhouse more.

It should also be noted Avery tried to guard Paul with Kidd, which any dumbass knows wouldn't work, for too long until he finally wised up and put the more athletic Terry on him.

Chief_in_Commander
04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
wow

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/mavericks/2008-04-30-johnson-fired_N.htm?csp=34

DALLAS (AP) — The Dallas Mavericks have fired coach Avery Johnson.

Johnson leaves with an impressive resume after three-plus seasons, but Mavs owner Mark Cuban couldn't tolerate a bottom line of being 3-12 in the playoff since blowing a 2-0 lead in the 2006 NBA finals.

The Mavericks followed that disappointment by the embarrassment of being ousted by Golden State in the opening round last season in one of the biggest upsets in league history. They were just dumped in five games by Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets. Dallas didn't win a single road game against the Heat, Warriors or Hornets, an 0-9 skid that was too much to overcome.

The final slate on Johnson's tenure: 194-70 in the regular season, 23-24 in the playoffs.

completley undeserving imo, not his fault Kidd is not the player he used to be. I don't think Avery wanted him to begin with. If they had devin harris still he could at least kept up with Paul, not to say it would of saved them but it couldn't of been any worse. Anyhow, Until Josh Howard stops :bong: and becomes more consistent, especially in the playoffs, and they stop someone in the crunch you can get used to this.....

Hammock Parties
04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Cuban wanted an exciting high octane offense that shot all the time. That's what he got.

He had that with Nelly. Try to keep up. Avery and Nelly are polar opposites.

kcxiv
04-30-2008, 02:32 PM
The Trade for Kidd was HORRRIBLE. They lost 2 young talents for a 35 year old who has been struggling with everything lately.

Doesnt matter who coaches that team, it needs to be rebuilt.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2008, 02:35 PM
The Trade for Kidd was HORRRIBLE. They lost 2 young talents for a 35 year old who has been struggling with everything lately.

Doesnt matter who coaches that team, it needs to be rebuilt.

The trade for Kidd was fine. Devin Harris is never going to amount to shit in the NBA. He should be a backup.

The Mavs need a new coach. One who won't start Jerry ****ing Stackhouse in the playoffs.

B_Ambuehl
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Mike D'Antoni needs to go as well.

kcxiv
04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
The trade for Kidd was fine. Devin Harris is never going to amount to shit in the NBA. He should be a backup.

The Mavs need a new coach. One who won't start Jerry ****ing Stackhouse in the playoffs.

The trade was not fine. Not at all.

Mitch Kupcek owns. Killed 2 teams by trading for Gasol.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
By the way, Dirk had a great playoff series.

47 percent from the floor, 27 ppg, 12 rpg, 4 apg

You couldn't ask for more.

Too bad Stackhouse played 20 minutes a game and shot 31 percent from the floor.

Too bad Pothead Howard played 34 minutes a game and shot 29 percent from the floor.

Hell, Jason Kidd shot 42 percent and 46 percent from 3-point range this playoffs. Don't blame him.

ChiefsFanatic
04-30-2008, 02:45 PM

I think their whole team is soft, that is why they don't play defense.

Mile High Mania
04-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Hell, Jason Kidd shot 42 percent and 46 percent from 3-point range this playoffs. Don't blame him.

You're an idiot ... check out Kidd's stat line the other night. He was brought to Dallas to close out games, boost the performance of those around him and be consistent. He delivered on some of that.. but for the price they paid (picks and salary) - he's been a failure.

It was dumb and out of desparation.

kcxiv
04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
By the way, Dirk had a great playoff series.

47 percent from the floor, 27 ppg, 12 rpg, 4 apg

You couldn't ask for more.

Too bad Stackhouse played 20 minutes a game and shot 31 percent from the floor.

Too bad Pothead Howard played 34 minutes a game and shot 29 percent from the floor.

Offensive numbers look great and all, but there is also defense. Which all them players lack. Kobe, the best offensive player in the game, but he's also the one of the best defensive players in the game. YOu have to play both ways, or offense is all for nothing.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I think their whole team is soft, that is why they don't play defense.

Are you brain dead? The Mavs had one of the better defenses in the league this year - 95.9 PPG.

The Mavs problem is not defense. It's that idiot Avery and his bumbling ways.

Monty
04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
The trade for Kidd was fine.

You've got to be kidding me. :spock:

Hammock Parties
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
You're right, it wasn't fine. We couldn't get them to take Stackhouse.

Basileus777
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
What do you expect Jason Kidd to do when all Avery runs is ISO plays? He's not a spot up shooter, everyone knows this.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM
What do you expect Jason Kidd to do when all Avery runs is ISO plays? He's not a spot up shooter, everyone knows this.

BINGO

Oh, but give Avery some credit. He allows Stackhouse to play Michael Jordan sometimes. That's a key offensive strategy that results in 30-point games from Stackhouse once a month.

ChiefsFanatic
04-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Are you brain dead? The Mavs had one of the better defenses in the league this year - 95.9 PPG.

The Mavs problem is not defense. It's that idiot Avery and his bumbling ways.

No, I am not an idiot. Statistically, the Mavs were about 10th in the league in overall defense, but I watched many of their games and I believe their defense is soft.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2008, 03:07 PM
He was a micromanager and horrible in close games. Good move for the Mavs. Not a coach for a veteran team at all.

Direckshun
04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
I actually liked the trade for Kidd, but Kidd simply can't defend against faster point guards anymore.

Kidd used to be an incredible force at the point on defense, but Paul blew by him the entire series.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
The J kidd trade is fine, but not with avery as the coach. Avery wants to play half court offense, but that is not J kidd strengh, his strength is getting out and pushing the ball to get fast break points. But avery likes call half court plays with either Howard and Dirk and he would just put Kidd out in the corner. I would not be shocked to see cuban hire dantoni, because he likes to get out and run, it seems like he allows his players to have more freedom with the ball. Again im not saying avery is a bad coach, it is just a bad fit right now.

teedubya
04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Avery's game time coaching decisions leave a lot to be desired. He has NO fire. Things go wrong, he looks like someone just stole his puppy dog. NO FIRE at all. I couldn't stand him as coach.

MTG#10
04-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Hopefully the Suns will follow suit and can D'Antoni's ass.

mrdad45
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
This is a good thing!! Now he can finally move away from that organization and meddling owner!

TEX
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM

The trade was not fine. I hate the MAVS so I liked it, but they went backwards since the trade.