PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So many safetys

jjchieffan
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
With KC drafting a safety and picking up udfa's Pig Brown and Greg Hay. That gives us 7 now at what was already one of the strongest areas on team.(not saying it was great, just not as bad as most other areas.) There has got to be something to the speculation that Pollard could be converted to LB. What about CB? We know this team has been notorious for trying to convert safetys to corners. Would any of our safetys project as a cover 2 CB? I am pretty sure that Morgan will be starter soon. Opening day if Pollard goes to LB or someone goes to CB. Wesley is probably gone. Herm is high on McGraw, so I doubt he goes. Maybe they are just camp fodder, but knowing Herm's eye for DB's and the fact that there were undrafted offensive linemen available to sign, I just have to wonder what they are thinking.

milkman
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
None of those safeties are going to convert to CB.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Ron Girault is a safety also....

Most of them are probably just fodder but Wesleys out and Page and Pollard I don't think are progressing at the rates they'd like...

If any of those other guys show more than McGraw, especially on special teams I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut, it isn't just Herm that makes decisions.

ChiefsFanatic
04-30-2008, 02:57 PM

Most of them are probably just fodder but Wesleys out and Page and Pollard I don't think are progressing at the rates they'd like...

If any of those other guys show more than McGraw, especially on special teams I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut, it isn't just Herm that makes decisions.

Didn't Bayless play a combo DB/LB position for a couple of years? That might be a good role Pollard.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Didn't Bayless play a combo DB/LB position for a couple of years? That might be a good role Pollard.

I think that too, I've always contended he'd be much more valuable and look alot better if they'd make him a nickel LB and a safety in goaline/obvious run downs/special teams guy.

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Pollard to me seems like he will be a perfect cover 2 LB.

ct
04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I was guessing Morgan might make a nice NB hybrid type sooner rather than later.

milkman
04-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Pollard to me seems like he will be a perfect cover 2 LB.

Like to see him add about 5-10 lbs if he's moved.

Zouk
04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
I think Pollard stays where he's at but that Greg Wesley will be cut by minicamp.

milkman
04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
In the end, almost none of these conversion projects work out.

jjchieffan
04-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about Girault. That makes 8. I thought you said the other day that McGraw wasn't going anywhere because of his special teams abilities.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Girault. That makes 8. I thought you said the other day that McGraw wasn't going anywhere because of his special teams abilities.

I was the one who said he was Herm's boyfriend.

jjchieffan
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
It would be interesting to see if Pollard could make the switch. Gunthers specialty is coaching linebackers. If anyone can convert him to LB, I would say Gunther is your man.

keg in kc
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
In the end, almost none of these conversion projects work out.I dunno, it worked great for Larry Atki--

Oh.

jjchieffan
04-30-2008, 03:12 PM
I was the one who said he was Herm's boyfriend.

:ROFL: That's right. I remember now.

noa
04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, if Pollard could put on some more weight, we could definitely use the depth at LB.

jjchieffan
04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Was it Warfield, Bartee, or both that was a college safety that we tried to convert to CB?

milkman
04-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Was it Warfield, Bartee, or both that was a college safety that we tried to convert to CB?

Warfield, I think played exclusively at safety in collegs, though I am not certain on that, so don't quote.

Bartee did play some CB, but he clearly wasn't CB material.

The sad thing is, Bartee might have been a perfect fit as a cover two SS.

Mecca
It was both of them actually....

If any of those UDFA's are good they should cut McGraw and call it a day.

kepp
I'm hoping Pig will stick with the team but with that backlog of safetys, and the fact that he isn't fully recovered from his injury, I'm not betting on it.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm hoping Pig will stick with the team but with that backlog of safetys, and the fact that he isn't fully recovered from his injury, I'm not betting on it.

They could stick him on IR and see how he is next year.

noa
Warfield was a 7th round safety

The Franchise
I think that too, I've always contended he'd be much more valuable and look alot better if they'd make him a nickel LB and a safety in goaline/obvious run downs/special teams guy.

This is what I'm hoping for.

Direckshun
04-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah I've read that by Mecca a few times now, and it makes a good amount of sense.

I'm guessing all the UDFA's are camp fodder. There's really no room on this team for any more than four. Page/Pollard will stick around obviously, and Morgan will contend for a starting spot. I just don't think McGraw gets cut, largely because he's too popular in the locker room (ST captain last year) and Herm styles the kind of player he wants after him.

buddha
04-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Bartee sucked balls at EVERY position. Easily my least favorite Chief of all time. Dude drew an NFL paycheck for how many years and never made a play.

I think this is a move to bring more competition to the safety positions, but also to restock the special teams, which typically consists of DBs and LBs (on coverage teams).

oaklandhater
04-30-2008, 03:33 PM
you know whats funny about Warfield there were some ppl on the planet saying he was a top 5 CB in 2004 the fooker is not even in the league anymore.

Pitt Gorilla
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
In the end, almost none of these conversion projects work out.Waters and Urlacher both did well, but I'm not sure how many players are moved post-college.

Tribal Warfare
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, if Pollard could put on some more weight, we could definitely use the depth at LB.

more weight? Hell, he could play LB now

buddha
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
you know whats funny about Warfield there were some ppl on the planet saying he was a top 5 CB in 2004 the fooker is not even in the league anymore.

Great point, and I remember getting into several arguments of that exact point. Warfield was always over valued here primarily because he didn't suck as badly as every other CB on the team for about five years. A very low bar to cross. The same discussion has been had about Kennison as well. You would have thought he was Otis freaking Taylor according to some on the planet.

The Franchise
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
more weight? Hell, he could play LB now

Yeah I believe that Pollard is the same height and weight as Donnie Edwards.

EDIT:

Edwards - 6'2" 224
Pollard - 6'1" 224

milkman
04-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah I believe that Pollard is the same height and weight as Donnie Edwards.

EDIT:

Edwards - 6'2" 224
Pollard - 6'1" 224

Yeah, they are the same weight.

And as a tackler, Edwards should have been a Cowboy, cause he rides RBs like ponies.

oaklandhater
04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Great point, and I remember getting into several arguments of that exact point. Warfield was always over valued here primarily because he didn't suck as badly as every other CB on the team for about five years. A very low bar to cross. The same discussion has been had about Kennison as well. You would have thought he was Otis freaking Taylor according to some on the planet.

On the planet every player not named Eric hicks Bartee or Jordan Black is a superstar waiting to happen.

The Franchise
04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, they are the same weight.

And as a tackler, Edwards should have been a Cowboy, cause he rides RBs like ponies.

So do you think that Pollard would make a better cover 2 OLB?

milkman
04-30-2008, 05:28 PM
So do you think that Pollard would make a better cover 2 OLB?

No. I'm saying that Donnie Edwards isn't a hard hitter.

I don't know that Pollard would be a good cover two OLB, but I'm damn sure he'd tackle a hell of lot better.

I also know that Pollard's lack of speed at saftey is a liability, but he'd be a average speed LB.

RealSNR
04-30-2008, 06:04 PM
you know whats funny about Warfield there were some ppl on the planet saying he was a top 5 CB in 2004 the fooker is not even in the league anymore.That was because in 2004 not many receivers scored on him. They picked on Bartee the whole time.

Though not planet-related, a similar argument was made by Vermeil about Monty Beisel and how great of a player he was. I still can't believe that we drafted that asshole as a DE and he moved from middle to OLB in such a short amount of time. Him going to the Patriots and turning into a miserable failure goes to show where the talent level was at on our defense during the Vermeil years.

milkman
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
That was because in 2004 not many receivers scored on him. They picked on Bartee the whole time.

Though not planet-related, a similar argument was made by Vermeil about Monty Beisel and how great of a player he was. I still can't believe that we drafted that asshole as a DE and he moved from middle to OLB in such a short amount of time. Him going to the Patriots and turning into a miserable failure goes to show where the talent level was at on our defense during the Vermeil years.

That just tells you how poor at talent evaluation on defense we were.

Everyone from Carl to Dick, Greg Robinson and Gunt all suck.

And you know what scares the hell out of me?

Gunt thinks that Hali will be a 15 sack RDE.

****, we are screwed.:eek:

Skip Towne
04-30-2008, 06:55 PM
That just tells you how poor at talent evaluation on defense we were.

Everyone from Carl to Dick, Greg Robinson and Gunt all suck.

And you know what scares the hell out of me?

Gunt thinks that Hali will be a 15 sack RDE.

****, we are screwed.:eek:
Yes, we are.

Buehler445
04-30-2008, 06:58 PM

I'd go with that. He's a hell of an athlete.

cdcox
04-30-2008, 08:28 PM
I think we should worry about getting two solid starters at safety before we think about converting any of them to other positions. Page may work out, but he's the only one I feel confident about. Hopefully Mecca's boy wonder works out.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I think we should worry about getting two solid starters at safety before we think about converting any of them to other positions. Page may work out, but he's the only one I feel confident about. Hopefully Mecca's boy wonder works out.

Hey now you remember the last 2 secondary guys I've been really high on right..

cdcox
04-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey now you remember the last 2 secondary guys I've been really high on right..

Ko Simpson and Cromartie? How could we forget? :D

Mecca
04-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Ko Simpson and Cromartie? How could we forget? :D

If only we had drafted them :(

Buehler445
04-30-2008, 08:37 PM
If only we had drafted them :(

Cromartie is a man-beast.

Mecca
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Cromartie is a man-beast.

That's so bitter sweet, I'm glad he's doing well, and I like the player but he's on the Chargers.

Buehler445
04-30-2008, 08:46 PM
That's so bitter sweet, I'm glad he's doing well, and I like the player but he's on the Chargers.

I hear you dude. Loud and clear. I'm going to be the same way with Brandon McAnderson. He won't be nearly the NFL player Cromartie is, but I really like the kid.

DaneMcCloud
04-30-2008, 08:56 PM
In the end, almost none of these conversion projects work out.

Larry Atkins was a stunning success :grr:

JerseyChief2008
05-01-2008, 02:44 PM
All I know is one thing. Herm is trying to get this team younger and if you look at the article on NFL.com about the mini camp this weekend, it puts everything in perspective. As far as the safety position, you can be sure Girault and Morgan will make a strong push and compete for spots. They both have excellent chances of making the team and contributing. I think Girault has more potential but that's only because Morgan has injury issues and he does not have the numbers Girault had in college or pro day. Pollards, Paige are locks and the rest of the gang better do their best to impress. By the way, this Jonal St. Dic guy is pretty good also. He is a beast on tape.

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I hear you dude. Loud and clear. I'm going to be the same way with Brandon McAnderson. He won't be nearly the NFL player Cromartie is, but I really like the kid.McAnderson? The guy that put up 41 yards against MU when KU could have really used a running game?

patteeu
05-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Bartee sucked balls at EVERY position. Easily my least favorite Chief of all time. Dude drew an NFL paycheck for how many years and never made a play.

I think this is a move to bring more competition to the safety positions, but also to restock the special teams, which typically consists of DBs and LBs (on coverage teams).

Bartee failed at interceptions, but he could tackle and he was in position to knock balls away more often than his INT stat suggests. He was a solid special teams player iirc. That doesn't mean that the Bartee experiment was a success by any stretch of the imagination, but it keeps him from coming close to being my least favorite Chief of all time. My least favorite Chief would have to be someone more along the lines of Carlton Gray, Lin Elliot, or Elvis Grbac, but that's JMO.

EyePod
05-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm sure someone said this already but Pollard AKA "Bonecrusher" really sucks at SS. He needs to convert to LB (which I've heard rumors of, although it may be just from this board) or shoot himself. Either one would get him out of the SS position and make me happy. Although he really is a beast on special teams... blocking all those kicks... maybe he should just be a Special player!

Sure-Oz
05-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I hope wesley is traded and mcgraw is gone...id rather see Pig in there injured than wesley