PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Upconverting DVD player 1080p

04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
This one seems to be getting good reviews and a great price. Any input would be appreciated. Not looking for something expensive though.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=208754&WT.mc_n=93&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=BIZRATE&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=93

Pioneer DV400VK

Frazod
05-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Hmm.... had I known about this, I probably wouldn't have gotten the blu ray. Oh well; what's done is done.

DaneMcCloud
05-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Hmm.... had I known about this, I probably wouldn't have gotten the blu ray. Oh well; what's done is done.

I'm pretty sure you'll love the Blu-Ray, especially if you buy Blu-Ray discs. "Upsampling" is just a marketing term.

If a file (CD, mp3, mp4, DVD, etc.) is created at a certain sample rate, "up-sampling" can't change the original file format.

For example, you can "upsample" or convert an mp3 that's encoded at 128kbs to a 44.1k CD for playback but it won't sound the same as an original file recorded at 44.1k that wasn't encoded and decoded.

Same thing goes for DVD's. The Blu-Ray DVD is sampled at 6 times the sampling frequency of a standard DVD. So regardless of what DVD player is used for playback, it's still been encoded at DVD specs, not Blu-Ray specs.

So enjoy the Blu-Ray :thumb:

05-01-2008, 12:33 AM

PS3 or standard bluray player?

I have a shitload of DVDs and hate the price of the bluray movies right now.This seems like a nice deal especially since I can even play video via USB, which I do a lot now with my Xbox. Seems to make more sense to just get an affordable upconvert than a bluray right now.

Walmart has a PHillips and a Magnavox upconvert for only $40 but they only go to 1080i and don't support Divx.

ChiefFan31
05-01-2008, 01:30 AM
This one seems to be getting good reviews and a great price. Any input would be appreciated. Not looking for something expensive though.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=208754&WT.mc_n=93&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=BIZRATE&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=93

Pioneer DV400VK

I cannot comment on that particular DVD player. I am sure it is okay.

But if you want a decent priced and a great upconverting DVD player go for Oppo.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

You will now be in the 170-200 range, but it is a great price and outstanding DVD player.

I know you like to spend your money wisely, but I wouldn't post up about Oppo's if they were not excellent players for the money. Especially since it looks like you have a large standard def DVD collection.

Frazod
05-01-2008, 01:30 AM
PS3 or standard bluray player?

I have a shitload of DVDs and hate the price of the bluray movies right now.This seems like a nice deal especially since I can even play video via USB, which I do a lot now with my Xbox. Seems to make more sense to just get an affordable upconvert than a bluray right now.

Walmart has a PHillips and a Magnavox upconvert for only $40 but they only go to 1080i and don't support Divx.

I have a Samsung P1400. Regular DVDs play with great clarity, although the difference between blu ray and regular is noticeable.

Not noticeable enough to replace 500 DVDs, though. I picked up a couple of blu ray discs when I first bought the new player, but haven't bought any since. The selection is shit right now, and for the most part anything I'd buy on blu ray I already own.

05-01-2008, 01:50 AM
I have a Samsung P1400. Regular DVDs play with great clarity, although the difference between blu ray and regular is noticeable.

Not noticeable enough to replace 500 DVDs, though. I picked up a couple of blu ray discs when I first bought the new player, but haven't bought any since. The selection is shit right now, and for the most part anything I'd buy on blu ray I already own.

That is kind of how I view bluray. It will be great for getting your favorite movies on but not for replacing your current DVDs. At $25 a pop or more for bluray movies, I would be extremely picky on what movies I upgraded.

05-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Damn, just found out they had the silver version for 5 bucks less. Too late to cancel though. oh well. It is only 5 bucks I guess.

Swanman
05-01-2008, 07:01 AM
That is kind of how I view bluray. It will be great for getting your favorite movies on but not for replacing your current DVDs. At $25 a pop or more for bluray movies, I would be extremely picky on what movies I upgraded.

For me, one great thing about HD DVD losing the format war was that I could pick up tons of HD DVD titles for $10-$15 apiece to grow my collection well above 100. Also got great deals on some backup players, at worst they are very good upconverting players. I don't see Bluray prices coming down for a while, especially since they don't have competition right now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-02-2008, 07:43 PM
You could probably find an HD-DVD player for around that price as well.

If you are looking for a great upconverting DVD player, get an Oppo. But they are 2x that price.

Sure-Oz
05-02-2008, 07:49 PM
May as well get the hd dvd player and get some hd dvds cheap since they are dead
I have a 1080p hd dvd player and 15 hd dvds and it is used for my main dvd player using hdmi for upconversion. Use my ps3 as my bluray only/gaming player

Got planet earth hd for $24 off pbs.com last week

Sure-Oz
05-02-2008, 07:50 PM

bluray>that

I suggest to EVERYONE to get a ps3 if you are going bluray, even if it doesnt look like your conventional player

05-02-2008, 08:36 PM
May as well get the hd dvd player and get some hd dvds cheap since they are dead
I have a 1080p hd dvd player and 15 hd dvds and it is used for my main dvd player using hdmi for upconversion. Use my ps3 as my bluray only/gaming player

Got planet earth hd for $24 off pbs.com last week

Nah. I will wait for bluray prices to come down before I join the revolution. The upconvert will get me by just fine.

Sure-Oz
05-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Nah. I will wait for bluray prices to come down before I join the revolution. The upconvert will get me by just fine.

Just saw the price, haha, makes sense...:)

Ive had my hd player since jan...cost me $110 plus 3 instant movies off amazon.com

it was a hell of a deal and just 2 weeks ago they sent me a $50 amazon gift code cause of hd dieing, :evil:

05-02-2008, 08:44 PM
You could probably find an HD-DVD player for around that price as well.

If you are looking for a great upconverting DVD player, get an Oppo. But they are 2x that price.
I looked hard at those Ottos. Figured since I would be getting a bluray player in a year or two it didn't really make sense to fork out a lot of money for a stop gap solution for my DVD collection.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I looked hard at those Ottos. Figured since I would be getting a bluray player in a year or two it didn't really make sense to fork out a lot of money for a stop gap solution for my DVD collection.

Yeah. And honestly, who knows if BD will ever surpass DVD or if it is a niche placeholder, a la Laser Disc.

05-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Received it yesterday and set it to 1080p over HDMI. Not a lot of difference from 480p over component on my old DVD player but still a noticeable improvement in the newer DVDs.

DaneMcCloud
05-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Yeah. And honestly, who knows if BD will ever surpass DVD or if it is a niche placeholder, a la Laser Disc.

It all depends on whether or not the studios want it to happen.