PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Mario Kart Wii is a tough game

Sam Hall
05-02-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm having issues controlling the karts and bikes. The tracks are tough and you can't hit any walls.

05-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Guess I won't get that one then.

Sam Hall
05-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Guess I won't get that one then.

I wouldn't go that far. You can be in last place and still win races. It's just hard to stay on the track.

05-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't go that far. You can be in last place and still win races. It's just hard to stay on the track.

I had a sidewinder motion controller for my computer that I tried on racing games. I couldn't keep my ass on the track to save my life.:cuss:

Mr Luzcious
05-02-2008, 11:03 PM

Do you have it on automatic or manual?

Molitoth
05-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I am extremly good at any Mario Kart, and this one takes the cake on difficulty. 150cc is a bitch to win.

The abundance of Blue Turtle shells is bullshit. It doesn't even pay off to be in first place most of the race.

Mr Luzcious
05-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I am extremly good at any Mario Kart, and this one takes the cake on difficulty. 150cc is a bitch to win.

The abundance of Blue Turtle shells is bullshit. It doesn't even pay off to be in first place most of the race.

Actually, in my experience, you get hit far less often in first place. The instant I drop past third.. its over. Generally I'm far enough ahead of the pack that the blue shells don't matter much. Though, granted, this is on 100cc. I'm not too eager to move on to 150.

L.A. Chieffan
05-03-2008, 02:56 PM
This game is hardcore. It's not for pussies.

Sam Hall
05-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Actually, in my experience, you get hit far less often in first place. The instant I drop past third.. its over. Generally I'm far enough ahead of the pack that the blue shells don't matter much. Though, granted, this is on 100cc. I'm not too eager to move on to 150.

That's what I've seen in 150. You can come from behind if you get the bullet power-up.

Sam Hall
05-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Do you have it on automatic or manual?

automatic

Molitoth
05-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Welp, just beat the game on 150cc... I think i just got extremly lucky today.

Mr Luzcious
05-03-2008, 07:59 PM
automatic

Try manual, I find its a lot easier to control that way.

Mr Luzcious
05-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Welp, just beat the game on 150cc... I think i just got extremly lucky today.

Ah, but how about getting a star ranking on each cup? Eh?

Sam Hall
05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I think I've already seen it all. I've won easily, finished last several times and gotten screwed near the finish line. You're always an inch away from last place.

How's the online play?

Reaper16
05-03-2008, 11:26 PM
No, it's NOT hardcore. It's dumbed-down to make it play like more of a family/party style game than a solid racer. There are too many blue shells. The new Mega Mushroom and POW block power-ups are overpowered. I've seen WAY too many magical comebacks from 10th place to 1st place on the last turn of lap 3 than I need to. It's a shame that the game has to be a let-down in that regard, because the new level designs are pretty good, overall. I'm glad they go rid of snaking, but the level of skill in this game compared to previous installments is almost nil.

As far as control, I hate the wheel. But wiimote + nunchuck works WONDERS.

L.A. Chieffan
05-03-2008, 11:32 PM
No, it's NOT hardcore. It's dumbed-down to make it play like more of a family/party style game than a solid racer. There are too many blue shells. The new Mega Mushroom and POW block power-ups are overpowered. I've seen WAY too many magical comebacks from 10th place to 1st place on the last turn of lap 3 than I need to. It's a shame that the game has to be a let-down in that regard, because the new level designs are pretty good, overall. I'm glad they go rid of snaking, but the level of skill in this game compared to previous installments is almost nil.

As far as control, I hate the wheel. But wiimote + nunchuck works WONDERS.

Boston Legal sucks.

SithCeNtZ
05-03-2008, 11:56 PM
How's the online play?

Much better than the single player. Sure, if you are good you still get screwed out of a race here or there due to unlucky items, but on the whole you should win more than you lose if you are decent.

Reaper16
05-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Boston Legal sucks.
Jesus, did you scour the archives for something that I professed to enjoy so you could rag on it?

You're wildly incorrect, sir. Boston Legal's first two seasons were excellent.

Molitoth
05-05-2008, 07:17 AM

Have to agree here... ditch the abundance of blue turtle shells and the game is in much better shape. In previous mario karts I could go through the track flawless with drift-mini boost around every single turn and start lapping people who suck... now even if I drive my ass off, the newbies of the game are right on my ass with 3 red shells and a bullet bill in thier pocket.

Delano
05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
It would have been ideal for Nintendo to add settings where you could adjust the frequency of items.

I would also add that the game gets solid ratings on metacritic. 84 IIRC.

DaFace
05-05-2008, 08:40 AM
It would have been ideal for Nintendo to add settings where you could adjust the frequency of items.

I would also add that the game gets solid ratings on metacritic. 84 IIRC.

There are some adjustments to the item selection available in the multiplayer modes, for what it's worth. In single-player, though, you're on your own.

L.A. Chieffan
05-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Jesus, did you scour the archives for something that I professed to enjoy so you could rag on it?

You're wildly incorrect, sir. Boston Legal's first two seasons were excellent.

Ah, no, if I recall correctly you wished death upon me for briefly dismissing the show in thread a while ago.

Hasn't that ever occured to you, man, sir?

Ceej
05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
So, what all can be unlocked? I just recently purchased the game and planned on going crazy playing one player and trying to unlock some things.

Reaper16
05-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Ah, no, if I recall correctly you wished death upon me for briefly dismissing the show in thread a while ago.

Hasn't that ever occured to you, man, sir?
lol

Nah, I can't keep track of the number of exaggerated and violent remarks I've made.

Mr. Plow
05-05-2008, 01:52 PM
This game is hardcore. It's not for pussies.

ROFL

I know what you are talking about. Pillow fights are hardcore too.

Sam Hall
05-06-2008, 02:26 PM
The online play is much better than single player. I did a time trial in the Mario Circuit and was ranked top 5 worldwide.

SithCeNtZ
05-06-2008, 06:08 PM
The online play is much better than single player. I did a time trial in the Mario Circuit and was ranked top 5 worldwide.

Huh? I looked online at the world rankings and there isn't anyone from the USA in the top 10 :hmmm:

Sam Hall
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Huh? I looked online at the world rankings and there isn't anyone from the USA in the top 10 :hmmm:

It was actually the Luigi Circuit.

Ceej
05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Best map by far: Koopa Cape. Or is it Cape Koopa? lol.

I've just recently beat the 50cc series, do you unlock things for beating 50cc with the bike too? Or does it not matter?

Molitoth
05-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Unlockable Characters:
King Boo - Win 50cc Star Cup
Diddy Kong - Win all 50cc Cups
Baby Daisy - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 50cc Wii Grand Prix Cups
Mii (Outfit A) - Win 100cc Special Cup
Mii (Outfit B) - Unlock 32 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
Mii (Outfit C) - Get 15,000 points in VS mode
Dry Bones - Win 100cc Leaf Cup
Bowser Jr. - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 100cc Retro Grand Prix Cups
Daisy - Win 150cc Special Cup
Dry Bowser - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 150cc Wii Grand Prix Cups
Funky Kong - Unlock 4 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
Baby Luigi - Unlock 8 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
Birdo - Play Time Trials on 16 different courses/Get 250 wins online
Toadette - Play Time Trials on all 32 different courses
Rosalina - With a Super Mario Galaxy save, win a series of Grand Prix cups/Without Galaxy save, Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all Mirror Grand Prix Cup

Unlockable Karts:
Cheep Charger (small kart) - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 50cc Retro Grand Prix Cups
Blue Falcon (small kart) - Win Mirror Lightning Cup
Rally Romper (small kart) - Unlock 1 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
Turbo Blooper (medium kart) - Win 50cc Leaf Cup
Royal Racer (medium kart) - Win 150cc Leaf Cup
B-Dasher (medium kart) - Unlock 24 Expert Staff Ghost data
Piranha Prowler (large kart) - Win 50cc Special Cup
Dragonetti (large kart) - Win 150cc Lightning Cup
Aero Glider (large kart) - Win all 150cc Retro Grand Prix Cups

Unlockable Bikes:
Quacker (small bike) - Win 150cc Star Cup
Bubble Bike (small bike) - Win Mirror Leaf Cup
Magikruiser (small bike) - Play Time Trials on 8 different courses
Rapide (medium bike) - Win 100cc Lightning Cup
Nitrocycle (medium bike) - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 100cc Wii Grand Prix Cups
Dolphin Dasher (medium bike) - Win Mirror Star Cup
Twinkle Star (large bike) - Win 100cc Star Cup
Phantom (large bike) - Win Mirror Special Cup
Torpedo (large bike) - Unlock 12 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials

Misc Unlockables:
Picture option to send to Wii Message Board - Complete all 8 Cups in a class
Karts & Bikes (50cc) - Earn trophies in all 50cc Grand Prix Cups
Karts & Bikes (100cc) - Earn trophies in all 100cc Grand Prix Cups
Mirror Class - Win all 150cc Cups
Alternate Title Screen - Win all Cups

Expert ghosts
Defeat a normal course ghost with a time at least seven seconds faster to unlock the expert ghost for that course.
Alternate title screen and ending sequence
Get a “One Star” rank or better in all Cups, including those in Mirror mode to unlock an alternate title screen and ending sequence.
Special credits
Win all trophies in a class to view the credits and see a congratulations screen featuring your Mii with Mario and Peach. Win all Grand Prix Cups to get another congratulations screen featuring your Mii with all the racers.
Quick start
When the countdown starts, wait until the “2″ begins to disappear, then hold 2 to get a boost at the start of the race.
Quick recovery
When you fall into an obstacle, press 2 precisely when you land to get a temporary boost.
Profile name stars
You can add a star next to your profile name on the results screen and the Wi-Fi races by completing all Grand Prix races with a certain rank:
One star profile name: Earn a “One Star” rank in all Grand Prix races.
Two star profile name: Earn a “Two Star” rank in all Grand Prix races.
Three star profile name: Earn a “Three Star” rank in all Grand Prix races.

Delano
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I got straight stars until FUCKING MIRROR CUP OH MY GOD I HATE THAT SHIT I WANT TO BLOW MY WII MOTE INTO SMITHER-FUCKING-EENS!!

The make the field extremely fast and they all huddle together. When you inevitably get fucked in the ass by a blue shell or a lightning bolt or whatever, then you get nailed by not one, not two, but EVERY FUCKING COMPUTER BITCH-ASS KART. OOOOH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

I need some fucking Sheetrock patch compound for the new hole in the wall near my TV. FUCK IT

Mr Luzcious
03-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I got straight stars until ****ING MIRROR CUP OH MY GOD I HATE THAT SHIT I WANT TO BLOW MY WII MOTE INTO SMITHER-****ING-EENS!!

The make the field extremely fast and they all huddle together. When you inevitably get ****ed in the ass by a blue shell or a lightning bolt or whatever, then you get nailed by not one, not two, but EVERY ****ING COMPUTER BITCH-ASS KART. OOOOH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

I need some ****ing Sheetrock patch compound for the new hole in the wall near my TV. **** IT

That one really pissed me off too. Finally got it though.

Valiant
03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Get a normal controller and it becomes super easy..

Sure-Oz
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
I am pretty good with the controller and wheel but if you want all the secrets and stuff get the normal nintendo controller.

Basileus777
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM
I hate the wheel, I prefer to play it with just the Wiimote.

Sam Hall
03-14-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't play the game much anymore. I never liked going from first place to last in the blink of an eye. I'm a big fan of the Virtual Console. I don't think it gets much better than Mario 3.

Reaper16
03-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't play the game much anymore. I never liked going from first place to last in the blink of an eye. I'm a big fan of the Virtual Console. I don't think it gets much better than Mario 3.
Nah, it doesn't get much better. Super Metroid, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VI... that may be all I'd put above it.

DeezNutz
03-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Nah, it doesn't get much better. Super Metroid, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VI... that may be all I'd put above it.

Greatest game ever made.

Zelda is far and away my favorite series.

Ocarina and then Link to a Past. Classic.