Mr. Flopnuts
05-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I haven't been to a movie theatre in probably 2-3 years. That said, :drool:

tomahawk kid
05-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I saw this at the Iron Man premiere :rockon:

How was Iron Man?

05-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Not another two bad guy flick. Why do they have to do that? Just do one at a time.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't know how much 2-face is in it. Except for one very, very brief glimpse of him (which I didn't even catch watching fullspeed) he trailer is obviously focused on Joker. Plus there's going to be a 3rd so...

What caught my eye is Gordon's behavior. What's up with axing the bat-signal and getting dragged off?

I have some ideas, but it would fall into spoiler territory...

05-04-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't know how much 2-face is in it. Except for one very, very brief glimpse of him (which I didn't even catch watching fullspeed) he trailer is obviously focused on Joker. Plus there's going to be a 3rd so...

What caught my eye is Gordon's behavior. What's up with axing the bat-signal and getting dragged off?

I have some ideas, but it would fall into spoiler territory...

I hope thats the case. I wish they would stop trying to cram multiple villains in these movies.

Rausch
05-04-2008, 07:37 PM
How was Iron Man?

I thought it was clearly Marvel's best SH flick yet. And I'm not a big Iron Man fan. Iron man was perfect, and the short scene after the credits really has me pumped for the future. It's an idea I though should have been explored a long time ago in SH movies...

Rausch
05-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I hope thats the case. I wish they would stop trying to cram multiple villains in these movies.

One of the reasons I didn't care much for Spidey 3. Venom alone should have taken up all of 3...

05-04-2008, 07:44 PM
One of the reasons I didn't care much for Spidey 3. Venom alone should have taken up all of 3...

Definitely.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I hope thats the case. I wish they would stop trying to cram multiple villains in these movies.I think the cramming too much in would be a problem in a shorter film like x-3 (what a pile of shit that was...) or even spider-man 3 (also shitty, and I think that movie would have sucked with or without either sandman or venom, it was just a bad script...), but DK's purportedly got a very long running time, so my guess is everything important is given plenty of time to gestate...

Bowser
05-04-2008, 08:41 PM
X3 was a turd. They completely ****ed up the Dark Phoenix storyline, not to mention killed off two of the most prominent X-Men. Bryan Singer had to feel ill after watching it.

Sure-Oz
05-04-2008, 08:44 PM
X3 was a turd. They completely ****ed up the Dark Phoenix storyline, not to mention killed off two of the most prominent X-Men. Bryan Singer had to feel ill after watching it.

agreed, wish he didnt make superamn that movie was just ok imo

shouldve stuck with x3

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 08:59 PM
I liked Superman Returns, but I tend to be into "deeper", more angsty kind of stuff. I thought it was one of the best 'comic' movies to date.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Holy shit. I thought I saw this, but I wasn't sure, but then I saw one of the guys on aicn mention it. There may be a huge spoiler in the trailer. I'll give the timecode, but I'm not going to describe it, for the people who have the willpower not to look.

1:56

05-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Holy shit. I thought I saw this, but I wasn't sure, but then I saw one of the guys on aicn mention it. There may be a huge spoiler in the trailer. I'll give the timecode, but I'm not going to describe it, for the people who have the willpower not to look.

PM me. spoilers don't bother me.

irishjayhawk
05-04-2008, 10:16 PM

Are you sure you don't mean 1:54?

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes.

We all knew 1:54 was going to happen.

irishjayhawk
05-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Yes.

We all knew 1:54 was going to happen.

Well, I have no idea what type of spoiler that is but then again I don't really follow batman comics. That said, thanks for not saying it in thread. :)

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Two things happen at 1:56, I'm talking about the 2nd one, not the random explosion...

irishjayhawk
05-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Two things happen at 1:56, I'm talking about the 2nd one, not the random explosion...

:)

I know.

DaneMcCloud
05-04-2008, 10:25 PM

He's supposedly hideous after that "event". Supposedly, the fan fiction on the internet hasn't taken it nearly far enough with the result.

That's probably another reason why its PG-13 (from an R).

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 10:28 PM
I think there's probably a reason they haven't shown us his face post-acid (at least it appears to be acid). I think it's smart to keep as much of the movie under wraps as they have. Trailers tend to give too much away these days, and you end up seeing everything cool from the movie before you actually see the movie...

I wasn't talking about two-face, though.

irishjayhawk
05-04-2008, 10:36 PM
All I know is this trailer rocks.

Things about it:

1) Ledger is just scary. It's realistic and scary at the same time. My three examples are the way he shifts his eyes when he's talking about "Kill the batman", his "here's my card" and the "here we go". His eyes and voice do all the acting for him and it's scary.

2) Seems like Dent and Joker will have proportional screen time and nothing will be cramped.

3) Gary Oldman looks stellar as Gordon.

4) The cinematography is brilliant.

5) Aaron Eckhart as Dent is perfect.

Also, on the spoiler side, a tiny one that really you have to slow down to see is at:

2:03

DaneMcCloud
05-04-2008, 10:39 PM
I think there's probably a reason they haven't shown us his face post-acid (at least it appears to be acid). I think it's smart to keep as much of the movie under wraps as they have. Trailers tend to give too much away these days, and you end up seeing everything cool from the movie before you actually see the movie...

I wasn't talking about two-face, though.

Oh.

I'm on my laptop (old) and it didn't have timecode, so I just guessed that was what you were referring to at 1:54.

OT, what are you using to edit these days? FCP? Avid Media Composer?

KcMizzou
05-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I've been excited about Ledger as the joker since the day it was official. I got the feeling it wasn't really a popular choice, but already, people seem to be coming around.

I was really bummed about him going out like that. We lost a hell of a good young actor, there.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 10:40 PM
It won't be Jack Nicholson and Tommy Lee Jones, but I think it'll be okay anyway.

[cough]

irishjayhawk
05-04-2008, 10:41 PM
I've been excited about Ledger as the joker since the day it was official. I got the feeling it wasn't really a popular choice, but already, people seem to be coming around.

I was really bummed about him going out like that. We lost a hell of a good young actor, there.

I said when first cast that on paper it was a miscast but I'd reevaluate when the time comes. And boy was I wrong to have doubted.

Sadly, it may have killed him. :( Here is the performance of a lifetime and he can't enjoy it.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm running Premeire right now (CS3). Wasn't sure I'd like it when we got it a little under a year ago, but I absolutely love it. In the studio right now, as a matter of fact.

05-04-2008, 10:46 PM

Yeah, I caught that.

Bowser
05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
It won't be Jack Nicholson and Tommy Lee Jones, but I think it'll be okay anyway.

[cough]

NEVER rub another man's rhubarb! AHHeeheehee......

irishjayhawk
05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm running Premeire right now (CS3). Wasn't sure I'd like it when we got it a little under a year ago, but I absolutely love it. In the studio right now, as a matter of fact.

What do you do?

On topic, I have to say, I don't think the trailer gave almost anything away. Especially to the layman. We saw like 4 batman combat scenes and only one was off a vehicle.

05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
NEVER rub another man's rhubarb! AHHeeheehee......
He had plenty of one liners. That was one of the funniest.

This town needs an enema!

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 10:59 PM
On topic, I have to say, I don't think the trailer gave almost anything away. Especially to the layman. We saw like 4 batman combat scenes and only one was off a vehicle.It was a great trailer, and I'd agree, it gave nothing away.What do you do?Mostly I put together informational videos for medical conventions around the country. "Go here on monday to see blowhard dr. xx talk about obesity and diabetes", that kind of stuff. I used to do anywhere from 6 to 8 a year, a little busier now. I'm in my fourth show of 2008, and have two more to do by the start of June, and then at least five more in the fall, so they're keeping me occupied...

Nothing all too glamorous, I'll occasionally (or often, lately) produce ads for clients, usually drug companies. From time to time other work will pop up, I've done a few CME videos (that's 'continuing medical education', post doctorate stuff), that sort of thing.

A job I sort of fell into, and I'm not really sure it's what I want to be doing five years down the road (video editing in general, I mean, not this company in specific), but it keeps a roof over my head...

DaneMcCloud
05-04-2008, 11:07 PM
It was a great trailer, and I'd agree, it gave nothing away.Mostly I put together informational videos for medical conventions around the country. "Go here on monday to see blowhard dr. xx talk about obesity and diabetes", that kind of stuff. I used to do anywhere from 6 to 8 a year, a little busier now. I'm in my fourth show of 2008, and have two more to do by the start of June, and then at least five more in the fall, so they're keeping me occupied...

Nothing all too glamorous, I'll occasionally (or often, lately) produce ads for clients, usually drug companies. From time to time other work will pop up, I've done a few CME videos (that's 'continuing medical education', post doctorate stuff), that sort of thing.

A job I sort of fell into, and I'm not really sure it's what I want to be doing five years down the road (video editing in general, I mean, not this company in specific), but it keeps a roof over my head...

Roofs are nice...

Editing is a great field. There's an enormous amount of work out here. I've got a friend who's 35 and she's basically retired. She edited for a ton of reality TV shows, bought a great house in the HH hills and is now off doing "relationship coaching".

One thing's for sure: You'll always have work!

irishjayhawk
05-04-2008, 11:09 PM
It was a great trailer, and I'd agree, it gave nothing away.Mostly I put together informational videos for medical conventions around the country. "Go here on monday to see blowhard dr. xx talk about obesity and diabetes", that kind of stuff. I used to do anywhere from 6 to 8 a year, a little busier now. I'm in my fourth show of 2008, and have two more to do by the start of June, and then at least five more in the fall, so they're keeping me occupied...

Yeah, sounds interesting. I'm editing my KU video in FCP. I like FCP but I don't like it's compatibility issues which wouldn't be a problem if it was footage from cameras. ;)

I haven't tried Avid or Premiere but I did try After Effects and if Premiere is anything like AE, color me turned off.

Rausch
05-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Wow.

$107 million ALREADY for Iron Man I just heard on the radio. Crazy. This will be the summer for Comix flix...

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't have a real issue with the 'editing' part of the job.

It's the whole "work" part I've never liked very much.

I still have that college professor mindset, where a perfect job to me is one where I have short days and get summers off.

An even more perfect one would be...lotto winner.

Friends keep telling me I need to find a rich old woman.

irishjayhawk
05-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't have a real issue with the 'editing' part of the job.

It's the whole "work" part I've never liked very much.

I still have that college professor mindset, where a perfect job to me is one where I have short days and get summers off.

An even more perfect one would be...lotto winner.

Friends keep telling me I need to find a rich old woman.

Or a rich young woman.

Tribal Warfare
05-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Wow.

$107 million ALREADY for Iron Man I just heard on the radio. Crazy. This will be the summer for Comix flix...

saw it twice this weekend too

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah, sounds interesting. I'm editing my KU video in FCP. I like FCP but I don't like it's compatibility issues which wouldn't be a problem if it was footage from cameras.

I haven't tried Avid or Premiere but I did try After Effects and if Premiere is anything like AE, color me turned off.I love After Effects, which may be why I love Premeire, but if you were trying to edit something in AE I could see your issues. Because while you can do some limited editing with it, it's purely animation software.

A lot of people love final cut pro, so you really can't go wrong there.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Or a rich young woman.There's the whole "disposability" issue. heh.

I suppose I could settle for young and wealthy, as long as she's athletic and attractive.

In other words, my polar opposite. ROFL

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:18 PM
I think I read on Friday, Iron Man had already cleared 30 million, so I'm not surprised.

I went to see it at 2:20 on Saturday and the theater was almost full. That's unusal.

The other thing I noticed was the variety of the audience. There were young people, old people, men and women of all races and creeds. I'm talking everything from white to black to asian to middle eastern. That spells big bucks if it was like that everywhere.

DaneMcCloud
05-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I love After Effects, which may be why I love Premeire, but if you were trying to edit something in AE I could see your issues. Because while you can do some limited editing with it, it's purely animation software.

It's funny how just a few years ago, FCP was considered "Prosumer". Avid (of course) just ruled the market (and honestly, every television production is done in Avid).

But there are an absolute ton of indie movies done in FCP. It's a great program but the whole Mac thing is a bummer, if you don't own a Mac (and I don't, anymore).

I ever so slightly have begun dabbling in video editing and purchased Sony Movie Studio 8 Platinum earlier this year (mainly to sync scenes and music for clients) and to me, it's a pretty powerful tool, especially for $99.00.

Technology rules.

irishjayhawk
05-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I love After Effects, which may be why I love Premeire, but if you were trying to edit something in AE I could see your issues. Because while you can do some limited editing with it, it's purely animation software.

Luckily, I wasn't trying to edit but I was trying to just play around with it. I lost myself. I had no idea what or how to do anything. And that's unusual for me.

DaneMcCloud
05-04-2008, 11:20 PM
I think I read on Friday, Iron Man had already cleared 30 million, so I'm not surprised.

I went to see it at 2:20 on Saturday and the theater was almost full. That's unusal.

The other thing I noticed was the variety of the audience. There were young people, old people, men and women of all races and creeds. I'm talking everything from white to black to asian to middle eastern. That spells big bucks if it was like that everywhere.

Casting Robert Downey, jr. was a stroke of genius.

Not only is it going to reinvigorate his career, it will make him more of a household name and superstar like never before.

noa
05-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I think that thing at 1:56 could end up being a non-spoiler. That type of situation happened in Spiderman, also, and it doesn't end up being as much of a problem when you're dealing with a superhero. He could always intervene...

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, the indy scene really did help blow up FCP, and they're apparently starting to make a dent in the TV market.

After working with a variety of systems, my personal opinion is that the software doesn't matter all that much, it's generally about the person running it. If you know how to do the job, you can work with anything (providing, of course, that it's stable)...

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:22 PM
I think that thing at 1:56 could end up being a non-spoiler. That type of situation happened in Spiderman, also, and it doesn't end up being as much of a problem when you're dealing with a superhero. He could always intervene...The rumor is that he doesn't interfere. That might be where the "dark" comes from.

noa
05-04-2008, 11:24 PM
The rumor is that he doesn't interfere. That might be where the "dark" comes from.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Awesome trailer. I'm so excited for this.

I also liked that they really didn't show Two-Face. Just a tiny glipse. You can barely see the effects on his nose and cheek in one shot. Leaves some suspense. Makes you wonder at what point in the movie they will actually reveal what he will look like.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Luckily, I wasn't trying to edit but I was trying to just play around with it. I lost myself. I had no idea what or how to do anything. And that's unusual for me.The thing I like about adobe software is that everything is basically set up the same way. So if you know how to use, say, Photoshop, After Effects should make sense to you, and so will Premeire, and vice versa. And all the programs plug into each other (if you have the production setup, at least, which I do) which means there's basically a seamless flow between projects you create inside the different programs. Which is an extremely efficient way of working...

DaneMcCloud
05-04-2008, 11:28 PM
After working with a variety of systems, my personal opinion is that the software doesn't matter all that much, it's generally about the person running it. If you know how to do the job, you can work with anything (providing, of course, that it's stable)...

Eggzactly.

I've worked in Nuendo for audio (and its little brother, Cubase) for more than a decade. I've recently been working at a Pro-Tools studio (which I don't like) and have worked in other audio-specific apps.

They all pretty much do the same thing, they're just laid out differently. Once you've got your shortcuts in place (and your methods), it's easy to jump between the different apps.

Then, it's all about why you do with the source material.

Hammock Parties
So if you know how to use, say, Photoshop, After Effects should make sense to you, and so will Premeire, and vice versa. A

I wish that was true for me. I have no problems with photoshop. Premiere made me feel like a retarded kid trying to learn chinese...

keg in kc
I'm setting myself up for a letdown, but I'm really thinking this movie could be the "Empire Strikes Back" of comic book films/trilogies.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I wish that was true for me. I have no problems with photoshop. Premiere made me feel like a retarded kid trying to learn chinese...Well, if you ever find yourself trying it again, and you run into a snag, send me a smoke, I might be able to help you out. I've been running it since september, so I'm pretty comfortable with it by now.

Hammock Parties
05-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, if you ever find yourself trying it again, and you run into a snag, send me a smoke, I might be able to help you out. I've been running it since september, so I'm pretty comfortable with it by now.

It's really too much of a hassle, at least from what I can understand. All my Chiefs stuff is encoded in AVI, and from what I know Premiere hates AVI...

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
They all pretty much do the same thing, they're just laid out differently. Once you've got your shortcuts in place (and your methods), it's easy to jump between the different apps.Yeah, the hotkeys are generally the crux of it. I'll still occasionally go braindead with a hotkey or find myself reverting to one from an old system.

Honestly, the only things that are really important to me for the work that I do are stability/dependability. As long as the software doesn't crash, and I don't have to worry about the possibility of losing 100 hours of work in the blink of an eye, I'm fine with whatever...

I am, however, very happy to be working on a modern system. This time last year I was still working with Discreet Edit 6.5, which was published sometime in 2001. I can do so much more now than I could before, that it's almost ridiculous.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:41 PM
It's really too much of a hassle, at least from what I can understand. All my Chiefs stuff is encoded in AVI, and from what I know Premiere hates AVI...I prefer quicktime when I'm working with raw files, but I've never had any problems with AVIs.

Then again, I don't work with any codecs, I deal primarily with uncompressed video. That could be your snag.

You need a pretty sturdy system to run Premeire, in any case. Not that I'm dissing your setup, but I know from experience that it doesn't run anywhere close to as well at home as it does here (the difference being a Matrox RTX2 board). Ditto for AE, although I still do a lot of work at home.

DaneMcCloud
05-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, the hotkeys are generally the crux of it. I'll still occasionally go braindead with a hotkey or find myself reverting to one from an old system.

Honestly, the only things that are really important to me for the work that I do are stability/dependability. As long as the software doesn't crash, and I don't have to worry about the possibility of losing 100 hours of work in the blink of an eye, I'm fine with whatever...

I am, however, very happy to be working on a modern system. This time last year I was still working with Discreet Edit 6.5, which was published sometime in 2001. I can do so much more now than I could before, that it's almost ridiculous.

Stability is definitely key. Outside of Avid, that wasn't really an option for other systems (audio or video) before 2004. That's probably why FCP has become so popular. People don't have to hire Avid editors (or their $40,000 dollar rigs) just to cut an indie movie or commercial.

Budget is everything.

Rausch
05-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I prefer quicktime when I'm working with raw files, but I've never had any problems with AVIs.

Then again, I don't work with any codecs, I deal primarily with uncompressed video. That could be your snag.

Uncompressed is hard to work with for the novice due to file size. It doesn't take all that much footage for a dv file to hit 30 gigs.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Stability is definitely key. Outside of Avid, that wasn't really an option for other systems (audio or video) before 2004. That's probably why FCP has become so popular. People don't have to hire Avid editors (or their $40,000 dollar rigs) just to cut an indie movie or commercial.

Budget is everything.It's getting to the point where almost anyone can get a rig. IIRC what I'm working on cost in the neighborhood of $25K (or less), and that's including an automated multiple-drive DVD duplicator/printer (which is a really cool and handy little piece of equipment...).

It's a pretty saturated market, software-wise, too. We've talked about FCP, Avid and I'm on premeire, without even mentioning the autodesk stuff (smoke/fire/3dsmax).

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Uncompressed is hard to work with for the novice due to file size. It doesn't take all that much footage for a dv file to hit 30 gigs.Yeah, the systems can't handle it. I can't even think about trying to work with uncompressed data at home on my desktop.

I just bought a 'new' (for me....) video card that should get here next week. I've been running a radeon x.800 for more than a year, and I finally bit the bullet (not a big bullet, but it still hurt) on an nvidia 9600 GT.

I'm curious to see how much of an impact it has on trying to work at home.

I don't know how to translate that all into mac talk. heh.

Hammock Parties
05-04-2008, 11:54 PM

Yeah all my stuff is encoded in H264.

DaneMcCloud
05-04-2008, 11:54 PM
It's getting to the point where almost anyone can get a rig.

It's the same with music software. Everyone can own a "home recording studio". Buy a computer and M-Powered Pro-Tools (Home-Tools) and you've got your own studio! :rolleyes:

The problem is that very few can actually record, engineer and mix (let alone compose and perform) a song that anyone wants to hear.

The same goes for editing. Most people can "edit" but they don't understand beats, flow, etc.

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah all my stuff is encoded in H264.It must've been something else; that's a standard codec.

Ah well, sorry I didn't catch you at the time, but if you're comfortable with what you're using, there's no reason to change...

keg in kc
05-04-2008, 11:59 PM
The same goes for editing. Most people can "edit" but they don't understand beats, flow, etc.A few of the people I've worked with over the years have told me that they think the reason I've had success as an editor is that I spent so many years studying to be a musician. They think I grasp the flow of the work in a way that someone who comes at it from a purely technical background sometimes doesn't.

I don't know if that's true or not...

There's another edge to that, too, of course. I don't feel nearly as strong technically-speaking as someone who's worked as an engineer...

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2008, 12:05 AM
A few of the people I've worked with over the years have told me that they think the reason I've had success as an editor is that I spent so many years studying to be a musician. They think I grasp the flow of the work in a way that someone who comes at it from a purely technical background sometimes doesn't.

I don't know if that's true or not...

There's another edge to that, too, of course. I don't feel nearly as strong technically-speaking as someone who's worked as an engineer...

Anyone can learn how to do anything from a technical standpoint.

Talent come from within. It can't be taught or passed on from a mentor.

It sounds like whether you like it or not, you have talent in this field.

You're lucky. It could be much worse. :evil:

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 12:06 AM
You're lucky. It could be much worse. My eternal answer to that: you're right. I could still be married.

Interesting point-of-fact, I'm an almost completely self-taught editor. My ex-wife spent maybe a half an hour the first day showing me what did what, and after that, I read manuals (literally) and learned on the job.

Anyway, I'm procrastinating. And enough about me. The Dark Knight is much more interesting.

Hammock Parties
05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
It must've been something else; that's a standard codec.

Ah well, sorry I didn't catch you at the time, but if you're comfortable with what you're using, there's no reason to change...

I'm comfortable, but Camtasia's kind of limited. I should probably just take a class or something...

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm a big fan of lynda.com if you're looking to train. $25 for a month, study whatever you like, out of literally hundreds of choices. I've done a few hours of advanced after effects training in the last couple of months, just for the hell of it, and I've really liked the way they do it.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Keg, I have an internship with Metro Sports in July and they are just getting FCP. My problem is that I haven't had the time to edit a lot because of my classes (I plan on getting some help a little over the summer before my internship so I won't look like a complete idiot, but it is afterall an internship, and they are paying me with experience, so they shouldn't be too mad at my not-so-mad skills). I hope they are understanding lol. How long did it take you to learn it all, or most of it? I know the program is so big that people can learn new stuff every day, but the gist of it?

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Keg, I have an internship with Metro Sports in July and they are just getting FCP. My problem is that I haven't had the time to edit a lot because of my classes (I plan on getting some help a little over the summer before my internship so I won't look like a complete idiot, but it is afterall an internship, and they are paying me with experience, so they shouldn't be too mad at my not-so-mad skills). I hope they are understanding lol. How long did it take you to learn it all, or most of it? I know the program is so big that people can learn new stuff every day, but the gist of it?A lot of that depends on what they have you doing. I know that at Metrosports, they do some live programming, and I don't have any experience with that, so I'm not really qualified to speak about it. In a general sense, though, editing isn't difficult, once you get the basics down. And if you're going to get someone to show you, you should be able to have some idea of what you're doing very quickly; I'm talking a matter of minutes. It will take you time to develop a comfortable routine, and for the hotkeys to become second nature, but that's how it is with everything new. I would say you could probably get to the point where you don't feel like an idiot with a few hours of time over a couple of weeks. You won't be 'good', but you'll start to know your way around the program. After that, it's like everything else, and you learn by repetition, by doing.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, anyway. They're probably not expecting a full-fledged editor. I'd imagine they're expecting a wet-behind-the-ears college kid who doesn't know his ass from his elbow. Although I'd still do everything I could to get as up-to-speed as you can before you start. Better to go in and blow them away than to be exactly what they expect.

My advice would be to think of it like it's just a sort of advanced word processor, with images and sound; don't let yourself get intimidated by the idea of it. It's just another computer program, and you're smart enough to pick it up if you put in a little time. I used to think of it like it was a puzzle, too. I'd get handed a bunch of pieces and it was my job to find the best way to fit them together.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow, if this is legit...

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Oh damn...

I hope it is.

irishjayhawk
05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Wow, if this is legit...

That looks like it could very well be it.

Too bad I clicked on this thread. ;)

Rausch
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Anyway, I'm procrastinating. And enough about me. The Dark Knight is much more interesting.

My ass.

I've got a better shot of seeing him in public...

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 09:32 PM
I've got a better shot of seeing him in public...I actually went to a movie this weekend. In a theater.

Which almost put me behind deadline. Thought process was as follows: "70, 80 hours or work to do by eob Tuesday (this is Friday, I'm having this conversation with myself...), sure, you have time to go see Iron man."

Not my wisest choice.

Sam Hall
05-05-2008, 09:44 PM
'It's simple...Kill the Batman.'

I like that line.

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 09:46 PM
'It's simple...Kill the Batman.'

I like that line. The more I see of Ledger as the Joker, the more I like it.

I really wish he hadn't gone out like that. He was a hell of a young talent.

Rausch
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I actually went to a movie this weekend. In a theater.

Which almost put me behind deadline. Thought process was as follows: "70, 80 hours or work to do by eob Tuesday (this is Friday, I'm having this conversation with myself...), sure, you have time to go see Iron man."

Not my wisest choice.

Are you still alive?

Your lights on?

Work is what affords your joy in life...

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Work is what affords your joy in life...QFT

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Are you still alive?

Your lights on?

Work is what affords your joy in life...I wasn't bitching about the job, I was pointing out that it was stupid to not wait until Wednesday to go see the movie.

(Just like it's stupid to be posting here right now instead of wrapping up for the night. *cough*)

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Wow, if this is legit...

I've heard that the pics floating around on the internet aren't even close to the graphic nature of the "real" Two-Face CGI.

I'm betting it's fake and we're in for something far more graphic.

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I've heard that the pics floating around on the internet aren't even close to the graphic nature of the "real" Two-Face CGI.

I'm betting it's fake and we're in for something far more graphic.Well, that's good news too, as far as I'm concerned.

What's the rating gonna be on this though? I'm assuming PG-13?

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:02 PM
PG-13, yeah, last I heard.

Rausch
05-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I wasn't bitching about the job, I was pointing out that it was stupid to not wait until Wednesday to go see the movie.

(Just like it's stupid to be posting here right now instead of wrapping up for the night. *cough*)

I don't get your point.

*cough*

:evil:

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Speaking of PG-13, I read something in the last day or two where they're shooting for a PG-13 on the Terminator reboot.

What the f*ck...

Tribal Warfare
05-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Speaking of PG-13, I read something in the last day or two where they're shooting for a PG-13 on the Terminator reboot.

What the f*ck...

Never going to work, and I won't see it if their going to dilute the franchise that bad, but after watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles nothing is out of the realm of possibilities when it comes to making a buck.

irishjayhawk
05-05-2008, 10:07 PM

What the f*ck...

Yep. PG-13 as it stands now.

Also, about your picture. I'm pretty sure that it's an artists rendering based on the trailer. Further, even if it is the SAME thing on screen, it won't look so, umm, rough (for the lack of a better word) than it does now.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I didn't go check out the site the picture's from, there's probably more information about it there; I was more interested in snagging a copy before the studio nixed it (which they usually do whether it's legit or not)...

It does appear in that shot maybe he's burned by fire (is that a pool of gasoline he's laying in in the trailer...) rather than acid.

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Also, about your picture. I'm pretty sure that it's an artists rendering based on the trailer. Further, even if it is the SAME thing on screen, it won't look so, umm, rough (for the lack of a better word) than it does now.Of course.

But I like the direction. Two Face's evil side should be gnarly... disturbing. The Tommy Lee Jones version didn't really give me that feeling at all.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Of course.

But I like the direction. Two Face's evil side should be gnarly... disturbing. The Tommy Lee Jones version didn't really give me that feeling at all.He was too light in that. They all were.

I'm digging the darkness this movie looks to be bringing. The first one had it, and this one's like diving into a pool of crude oil with a blindfold on.

irishjayhawk
05-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Of course.

But I like the direction. Two Face's evil side should be gnarly... disturbing. The Tommy Lee Jones version didn't really give me that feeling at all.

Yeah. More cartoony. Plasticy.

Tribal Warfare
05-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Talking about the Batman chicks, when will they 86 the Rachel Dawes character for Vicki Vale ect.. Maggie Gylenhall isn't an eye catcher at all for the primary love interest.

irishjayhawk
05-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Talking about the Batman chicks, when will they 86 the Rachel Dawes character for Vicki Vale ect.. Maggie Gylenhall isn't an eye catcher at all for the primary love interest.

She is, however, an upgrade over Katie "brainwashed" Holmes. Looks, debateable. Rest of the package: Complete upgrade.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Talking about the Batman chicks, when will they 86 the Rachel Dawes character for Vicki Vale ect.. Maggie Gylenhall isn't an eye catcher at all for the primary love interest.Funny that you should mention that.

*cough*

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Funny that you should mention that.

*cough*LMAO

Tribal Warfare
05-05-2008, 10:23 PM
She is, however, an upgrade over Katie "brainwashed" Holmes. Looks, debateable. Rest of the package: Complete upgrade.

Yeah, but damn she is FU-GLY! One can have good looking actresses with acting ability also, hell Burton pulled it off in the original 2.

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, but damn she is FU-GLY! One can have good looking actresses with acting ability also, hell Burton pulled it off in the original 2.I'd hit it. :shrug:

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2008, 10:27 PM

What the f*ck...

Do you think that if the original Terminator was released today it would be an R-rating? I don't.

T-2 was kind of graphic (the nuclear holocaust issue in a time of the Cold War) but I don't think it would be R, either.

So far, the casting is freakin' awesome. Christian Bale as John Connor and Moon Bloodgood as a Terminator.

I'm psyched.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd hit it. You're old, you'd hit anything that isn't nubile enough to get away.

Note how I use "you", like I'm not equally old.

Smooth.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Do you think that if the original Terminator was released today it would be an R-rating? I don't.

T-2 was kind of graphic (the nuclear holocaust issue in a time of the Cold War) but I don't think it would be R, either.

So far, the casting is freakin' awesome. Christian Bale as John Connor and Moon Bloodgood as a Terminator.

I'm psyched.They're going an interesting direction with it, apparently Christian Bale is barely going to be in the first one.

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
You're old, you'd hit anything that isn't nubile enough to get away.

Note how I use "you", like I'm not equally old.

Smooth.LMAO

Agreed on all points. :)

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2008, 10:34 PM
They're going an interesting direction with it, apparently Christian Bale is barely going to be in the first one.

They're tying in the series as well (hence the "time jump").

John Connor isn't so much a military leader as he is a computer hacker.

That totally makes sense but is kind of unexpected.

Hammock Parties
05-05-2008, 10:35 PM
When does season two of Connor Chronicles begin?

Chiefs Pantalones
05-05-2008, 10:36 PM
A lot of that depends on what they have you doing. I know that at Metrosports, they do some live programming, and I don't have any experience with that, so I'm not really qualified to speak about it. In a general sense, though, editing isn't difficult, once you get the basics down. And if you're going to get someone to show you, you should be able to have some idea of what you're doing very quickly; I'm talking a matter of minutes. It will take you time to develop a comfortable routine, and for the hotkeys to become second nature, but that's how it is with everything new. I would say you could probably get to the point where you don't feel like an idiot with a few hours of time over a couple of weeks. You won't be 'good', but you'll start to know your way around the program. After that, it's like everything else, and you learn by repetition, by doing.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, anyway. They're probably not expecting a full-fledged editor. I'd imagine they're expecting a wet-behind-the-ears college kid who doesn't know his ass from his elbow. Although I'd still do everything I could to get as up-to-speed as you can before you start. Better to go in and blow them away than to be exactly what they expect.

My advice would be to think of it like it's just a sort of advanced word processor, with images and sound; don't let yourself get intimidated by the idea of it. It's just another computer program, and you're smart enough to pick it up if you put in a little time. I used to think of it like it was a puzzle, too. I'd get handed a bunch of pieces and it was my job to find the best way to fit them together.

That's good advice, thanks Kyle! Yeah I've touched it before but need the repetition. I don't do it all the time and I'm not that good lol. I will probably be shooting footage more than that anyway. But I want to be better so I'm gonna get help.

I hate Macs ugh.

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2008, 10:38 PM
I hate Macs ugh.

No offense but how anyone can *hate* a Mac is beyond me.

It's like hating a telephone.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:38 PM
I hadn't thought about a series tie-in, but it makes sense. You promote the series by making it relevant to the movie (and vice-versa).

I actually liked the series. It ended better than it started, and it never struck me as bad, although I understand the continuity issues that people had (you're trying to turn an R-rated flick into a prime-time series on a network that doesn't air anything after 10 - get over it folks, and feel fortunate we're finally getting science fiction on mainstream TV...).

There weren't many good new shows this year, so it was the right time to get its foot in the door.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:41 PM
I hate Macs ugh.I hadn't touched a mac in about a decade (since college) but a few weeks ago a friend of someone I work with was having trouble with her laptop, and I had zero problems helping her, despite the fact that I knew zilch about any of their OS since the mid-90's. Very user-friendly, it seems to me.

Nothing to fear there, I'd say, in other words.

Think of it like you're a drunk girl hooking up with you. Just shut your eyes and hope that it'll be over soon. (evil laugh)

Sure-Oz
05-05-2008, 10:41 PM
TDK will own...i am looking most forward to ledgers performance more than anything...im sure he'll be up for some awards after this....

still damn creepy how damn good he looks as the dark joker in this movie

irishjayhawk
05-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I hadn't touched a mac in about a decade (since college) but a few weeks ago a friend of someone I work with was having trouble with her laptop, and I had zero problems helping her, despite the fact that I knew zilch about any of their OS since the mid-90's. Very user-friendly, it seems to me.

Think of it like you're a drunk girl hooking up with you. Just shut your eyes and hope that it'll be over soon. (evil laugh)

Best analogy ever?

Tribal Warfare
05-05-2008, 10:48 PM

I'm psyched.

Impaling someone with a bionic arm, while butt-naked in the very 1st scene would justify a "R" rating.

Hammock Parties
05-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Impaling someone with a bionic arm, while butt-naked in the very 1st scene would justify a "R" rating.

In the original terminator you can see Arnold's dong flopping around in the moonlight.

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2008, 10:51 PM

I don't think so.

Use Star Wars Episode III for example. Anakin having his arms and legs chopped off while he burns close to death. Along with killing children in an earlier scene.

That was PG-13.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:52 PM
In the original terminator you can see Arnold's dong flopping around in the moonlight.While the rest of us are freeze-framing the only redeeming part of T3 to see if we can catch a glimpse of Kristanna Loken, you're looking for Schwartzenpenis in silhouette.

I'm shocked. Really, I am.

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2008, 10:52 PM
In the original terminator you can see Arnold's dong flopping around in the moonlight.

Did you make posters of those frames and hang them on your wall?

Chiefs Pantalones
05-05-2008, 10:55 PM
I hadn't touched a mac in about a decade (since college) but a few weeks ago a friend of someone I work with was having trouble with her laptop, and I had zero problems helping her, despite the fact that I knew zilch about any of their OS since the mid-90's. Very user-friendly, it seems to me.

I'm familiar with them, I just don't like them. It's hard to explain haha.

Love the analogy by the wayROFL

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 10:57 PM
While the rest of us are freeze-framing the only redeeming part of T3 to see if we can catch a glimpse of Kristanna Loken, you're looking for Schwartzenpenis in silhouette.

I'm shocked. Really, I am.GC's a big fan of rare austrian sausages.

:D

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
GC's a big fan of rare austrian sausages.He's dieting. Have to get that protein somewhere...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
She's the only reason I watched T3...

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Speaking of diets, or a lack therof, I had Pizza Hut tonight, and much to my dismay I discovered they have a new (to me) dessert.

Hershey's Chocolate Dunkers.

It was good. Too good.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Speaking of diets, or a lack therof, I had Pizza Hut tonight, and much to my dismay I discovered they have a new (to me) dessert.

Hershey's Chocolate Dunkers.

It was good. Too good.

Sounds freakin' delicious

KcMizzou
05-05-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm not much of a sweets guy, myself. Don't really care for 'em much.

I can sure **** up a cheeseburger, though. :D

Chiefs Pantalones
05-05-2008, 11:26 PM

I can sure **** up a cheeseburger, though. :D

Cow ****er!!!

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Sounds freakin' deliciousWhite and dark chocolate baked onto breadsticks, with dark chocolate dipping sauce.

It was ridiculously good.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 11:28 PM

I can sure **** up a cheeseburger, though. :DYou and me both, brother.

I'm doing a lot better with the occasional salad, though. Hopefully as the month continues, I'll get even better.

It's tough when I'm working 12-hour days to eat well...

Hammock Parties
05-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Honestly it was hard not to notice. I didn't have to freeze frame.

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Honestly it was hard not to notice. I didn't have to freeze frame.I've seen that movie at least a dozen times. Not once have I ever noticed schwartzendong.

Hammock Parties
05-05-2008, 11:38 PM
I've seen that movie at least a dozen times. Not once have I ever noticed schwartzendong.

Has your face ever been 12 inches from the screen?

keg in kc
05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Has you face ever been 12 inches from the screen?That's wrong on so many levels.

Hammock Parties
05-05-2008, 11:48 PM
That's wrong on so many levels.

I mean, that's the first time I noticed it. On my PC.

Rausch
05-05-2008, 11:59 PM
I mean, that's the first time I noticed it. On my PC.

Once you can pull off 12 inches you'll never have to come up with an excuse in your life EVER again...

Tribal Warfare
05-06-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't think so.

Use Star Wars Episode III for example. Anakin having his arms and legs chopped off while he burns close to death. Along with killing children in an earlier scene.

That was PG-13.

Did it show blood and gore, Infact Lucas said he made it necessary not to show blood in the Star Wars films so the MPAA wouldn't rate it above a PG-13.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Did it show blood and gore, Infact Lucas said he made it necessary not to show blood in the Star Wars films so the MPAA wouldn't rate it above a PG-13.

I'm sorry to disagree but if Terminator were released today, it would be a PG-13.

Warner Brothers wouldn't allow it to be an R-rated movie.

Hence the new trilogy is going to be PG-13.

05-06-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm sorry to disagree but if Terminator were released today, it would be a PG-13.

Warner Brothers wouldn't allow it to be an R-rated movie.

Hence the new trilogy is going to be PG-13.

Probably wouldn't even have to edit the love scene now.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Probably wouldn't even have to edit the love scene now.

Well, considering it was between two dudes, it would probably still be a rated R film.

ClevelandBronco
05-06-2008, 01:43 AM
I am a fan of the over-the-top Art Deco look of the earlier films. From a purely visual standpoint, I preferred the earlier sets. That said, I have to give a nod to Joker's visual image in this version. It's far better than the stuff they put on Jack Nicholson.

(I should admit, BTW, that I'm not very impressed with Nicholson's body of work. IMHO, he is great at choosing very well written roles, but with a few exceptions, he delivers nothing that I wouldn't expect to see from any other actor who is competent if he were given the same lines. I know that the Academy disagrees with me on this one.)

It looks as though they've tried to make the sets look more realistic in this film while they're pushing the twisted nature of the characters. That approach is probably more in keeping with the intention the creator imagined.

On the whole I've been pleased with every darker and more morally ambivalent version of the Batman story.

Sam Hall
05-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Where's the brief glimpse of two-face? Is that the part at 1:54?

irishjayhawk
05-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Where's the brief glimpse of two-face? Is that the part at 1:54?

2:03

irishjayhawk
05-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I am a fan of the over-the-top Art Deco look of the earlier films. From a purely visual standpoint, I preferred the earlier sets. That said, I have to give a nod to Joker's visual image in this version. It's far better than the stuff they put on Jack Nicholson.

(I should admit, BTW, that I'm not very impressed with Nicholson's body of work. IMHO, he is great at choosing very well written roles, but with a few exceptions, he delivers nothing that I wouldn't expect to see from any other actor who is competent if he were given the same lines. I know that the Academy disagrees with me on this one.)

It looks as though they've tried to make the sets look more realistic in this film while they're pushing the twisted nature of the characters. That approach is probably more in keeping with the intention the creator imagined.

On the whole I've been pleased with every darker and more morally ambivalent version of the Batman story.

Really? You were a fan of those "cardboard and glitter" type sets rather than the obviously real sets?

irishjayhawk
05-06-2008, 09:22 AM
I don't think so.

That was PG-13.

And hence continues my hatred of the MPAA's rating system. It's horrible.

Go see This Film Is Not Yet Rated, if you haven't already.

Tribal Warfare
05-06-2008, 03:14 PM

T3 which was less graphic was rated R, sorry your argument doesn't hold water

Plus you can really get away with a PG-13 rating when one of the lines is "F*CK YOU, ASSHOLE"

Gravedigger
05-06-2008, 05:48 PM
According to sources of RT this film is based upon certain graphic novels like Batman : The Last Halloween and Batman : Dark Victory will be the basis for the next one. When I looked at them though I noticed that there are TONS more characters in teh graphic novel so I'm sure its around teh same just picking out parts of it like Two-Face and Joker but the thing that interests me about what the next movie is supposed to be based on are Two-Face Catwoman and Robin. Personally I wish they woulda stuck with Frank Miller and brought in Azriel after Bruce Wayne suffers termporary paralysis.

DaneMcCloud
05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
T3 which was less graphic was rated R, sorry your argument doesn't hold water

Plus you can really get away with a PG-13 rating when one of the lines is "F*CK YOU, ASSHOLE"

Here's what I'm trying to convey:

If Warners wants a film to be R-rated, it'll be R-Rated. If Warners wants the same film to be PG-13, it'll be PG-13.

The movie studios can pressure the MPAA into any rating they'd like.

It used to be that an R-rating was something that films would shoot for, due to the controversy surrounding an R-rating.

These days, PG-13 films generally have as much gore and violence as an R-rated movie but they're open to a wider audience (i.e $$$$$$$$$).