PDA

View Full Version : Football Adarius Bowman remains unsigned

rrl308
05-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Undrafted Oklahoma State WR Adarius Bowman remains unsigned. Internet reports last week indicated that the Eagles signed Bowman to a rookie deal, but that turned out to be false. Bowman, who was arrested and pled guilty in April to marijuana possession, may have to try another league.

Source: Rotoworld.com

Shouldn't we at least least bring this guy in for a look?

ChiTown
05-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Undrafted Oklahoma State WR Adarius Bowman remains unsigned. Internet reports last week indicated that the Eagles signed Bowman to a rookie deal, but that turned out to be false. Bowman, who was arrested and pled guilty in April to marijuana possession, may have to try another league.

Source: Rotoworld.com

Shouldn't we at least least bring this guy in for a look?

interesting.........

dj56dt58
05-05-2008, 01:17 PM
I say yes but most people here will say no because they are under the impression we can only have saints on our team

Braincase
05-05-2008, 01:18 PM
interesting.........

Surprising. The guy pretty much did a one-man show vs. KU a couple of years ago during a 4th quarter comeback. I left because I thought KU had it in the bag (eerrrrrrr! Wrong!), and Bowman was the reason.

ChiTown
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I say yes but most people here will say no because they are under the impression we can only have saints on our team

Not me. Weed? Meh. Bring his ass in and let him run routes opposite of Bowe. Me likey......lots.

R&GHomer
05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Don't see how it would hurt to bring him in for a look, but then again I know zip about the guy. Does he have a history of testing positive

rrl308
05-05-2008, 01:29 PM
2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report
He's got the size, the hands, the jumping ability, and the breakaway speed - he's Adarius Bowman, 2008 first-round prospect.

Bowman caught the nation's attention last season (his first at Oklahoma State), where he caught 60 passes for 1,181 yards and 12 touchdowns -- with the highlight of his year being an amazing 13-catch, 300-yard, four-touchdown day against Kansas. As a result, he was named the Big 12's Newcomer of the Year and was on a number of award watch lists coming into the 2007 season.

He was on pace to reach or surpass those big numbers this season (with 61 catches, 932 yards, and seven scores), but a knee sprain kept him out of the Cowboys' last two regular-season games. However, he should be healed in time to play in a bowl game and then showcase his skills for the scouts before draft day.

The one potential snag for Bowman is his past. He got off to a promising start at North Carolina (after coming in as one of the nation's top prep prospects), but halfway into his sophomore season he was suspended for a drug-related issue -- resulting in his transfer to OSU. But, as long as he keeps the past in the past, there is no risk and only reward in taking him. Bowman also had vision issues before this season, but after getting corrective surgery, that's behind him as well.

Character issues aside, there is a good chance that he could be the first or second receiver taken in the draft, because he projects so well on the next level and stands to be a quick-impact player (a la Dwayne Bowe).

The most intriguing thing about Bowman is his still raw talent as a football player and the wealth of potential he has once he hits the NFL. He was an excellent basketball player in high school -- not taking up football until his junior year of high school -- and also played on OSU's hoops team last season. His athletic ability from the court has translated well to the gridiron.

There may be some who worry that he could turn out like the last Oklahoma St. receiver to be drafted in the first round, Rashaun Woods, who had a lot of hype and little return and the one before him, Hart Lee Dykes, whose promising career was cut short by injuries. But, with the talent and potential that Bowman has, he should quickly wind up a more successful pro than those two and be a terror for defensive backs for years to come.

Update (1/30/08): Bowman had struggles with route-running and drops during Senior Bowl practice and in Saturday's game had a big drop of a potential touchdown pass from Joe Flacco in the North's 17-16 loss to the South.

He did have two catches for 22 yards, but according to many experts (including Scout.com's Chris Steuber), Bowman's stock fell last week. Bowman has time to move up and there's no doubt he has the skills to make a big impact in the NFL, but according to Steuber, he has to become more focused and run cleaner routes to become an elite receiver.

Update (2/26/08): After a disappointing Senior Bowl week, Bowman's stock looks to have slid even further after a poor time in his 40-yard dash run at the combine. Bowman's speed isn't his speciality as it is, but had he run in the 4.5 range, it would have redeemed him a little. However, his best was timed near a 4.7, which isn't what he needed.

Bowman didn't run any of the other drills, as he was reportedly suffering some adverse effects from laser eye surgery.

There's no doubt about his physical tools and potential and that's what will likely see him not fall too, too far. He's still a first-day pick in all likelihood, but he's not the first-round prospect that he was not too long ago.

Update (3/12/08): At Oklahoma State's Pro Day on Wednesday, Bowman had a chance at redemption after running a 4.7 40 at the combine last month; instead of improving his 40 time, he actually ran a little slower (4.76, after a 4.74 in Indy).

However, despite the slow 40 time, in an article on Sportingnews.com, Bowman said he felt like he had a great day. "I feel like today, I got to kind of show what I'm better at, running routes, catching the ball, getting up the field," Bowman said.

So, where will he end up in the draft? He could end up in the first couple of rounds, but he could very well fall into the second day.

Update (4/12/08): Bowman was arrested on the 1st near his hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee, and charged with simple possession of marijuana. Given that his draft stock had been in free fall even before the arrest, the timing of the arrest, and that an issue with marijuana resulted in his dismissal from North Carolina in 2004, it's very possible Bowman might have dropped all the way to a late-rounder. Though given his impressive natural physical skills and his potential, he may well not fall that far.

Source: fftoolbox.com

I know he's had some issues with marijuana, but it's like it was assault or robbery or anything like that. It's not like your going to have alot tied up in the guy, if he fails to work out.

beach tribe
05-05-2008, 01:36 PM
bring him in!!

Hoover
05-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I agree bring his but in here. I be Jesus Marvin Harrison walks around with a loaded hand gun, the NFL has a drug policy, if he stays clean and performs cool, if he doesn't fine.

CoMoChief
05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Weed? Who gives a shit. Let me know if he's on weapon charges etc. Then someone should be concerned.

A college guy smoking weed shouldn't really be of anyone's concern as long as he's over that stage and can pass NFL drug tests.

He was considered to be the top WR's in this draft and he fell worse than Rodrique Wright did a couple seasons ago.

We have NO Wr's on this team to compliment Bowe. Franklin is a start but cmon, it's Will Franklin. No more than a slot WR IMO. Bowman is a beast.

RustShack
05-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Bring his ass in! I don't give a ****!

Kylo Ren
05-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Busted for weed twice on two different teams. Sounds like this guy has a problem. Weed now, something far worse later. Weed is an entry level drug. Things will probably get worse.

With that said, it's cheap to bring him in for a FA look. Maybe Herm can do him some good and help him get his life straightened out at the very least. The football career can come later after he gets himself cleaned up. It's too bad. This guy has ruined his career and his life, all for a few tokes. This is what weed, then other drugs will do to you.

BigRock
05-05-2008, 01:52 PM
If they didn't bring him in for the huge rookie tryout this weekend, they aren't bringing him in period.

(This also goes for every other UDFA on earth.)

Demonpenz
05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
say no to drug addicts

Direckshun
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
1. Drug problem.

2. Judgement issues.

3. Piss poor 40.

4. Major drops when the pressure builds.

I liked the kid initially too. I wanted the Chiefs to gamble on him. But the more I read, the less I like.

DeezNutz
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Football? Dude, you can keep your weed in there.

beach tribe
05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Busted for weed twice on two different teams. Sounds like this guy has a problem. Weed now, something far worse later. Weed is an entry level drug. Things will probably get worse.

With that said, it's cheap to bring him in for a FA look. Maybe Herm can do him some good and help him get his life straightened out at the very least. The football career can come later after he gets himself cleaned up. It's too bad. This guy has ruined his career and his life, all for a few tokes. This is what weed, then other drugs will do to you.

Weed is a gateway to potato chips.

Mecca
05-05-2008, 02:20 PM
The weed is a gateway drug shit makes me laugh so hard, do people who say that realize how many people smoke or have smoked weed? If that were true pretty much our entire country would be hooked on hardcore smack.

Kylo Ren
05-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Cheetos! ROFL

mikey23545
05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Weed? Who gives a shit. Let me know if he's on weapon charges etc. Then someone should be concerned.

<b>A college guy smoking weed shouldn't really be of anyone's concern as long as he's over that stage and can pass NFL drug tests.</b>

He was considered to be the top WR's in this draft and he fell worse than Rodrique Wright did a couple seasons ago.

We have NO Wr's on this team to compliment Bowe. Franklin is a start but cmon, it's Will Franklin. No more than a slot WR IMO. Bowman is a beast.

Why the **** would you think "he's over that stage"?

Here at a most critical juncture of his career when he needs to be extra careful to get a shot at the NFL, he gets busted for possession?

Can you say "Ricky Williams"?

CrazyPhuD
05-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Dude he may be a pot head but that just means we can sign him with a dime bag!

El Jefe
05-05-2008, 02:40 PM

Chris Terry and even Kyle Turley weren't saints (well Turdley did play for the saints though :hmmm:).

xbarretx
05-05-2008, 02:43 PM

i can assure you that providing a player doesnt get suspended for it... a little weed is the least of my worries regarding possible character issues. if your smoking but not killing people, fighting dogs, driving drunk, smuggling illegal firearms, or running a Burlesque house, beating your family then as far as im concerned there is no character issue.

rrl308
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
i can assure you that providing a player doesnt get suspended for it... a little weed is the least of my worries regarding possible character issues. if your smoking but not killing people, fighting dogs, driving drunk, smuggling illegal firearms, or running a Burlesque house, beating your family then as far as im concerned there is no character issue.

Couldn't agree more.

Chiefmanwillcatch
05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
It's got to be the 40 time and poor workout at the senior bowl.

Mizzou_8541
05-05-2008, 03:03 PM

So, does that mean New Orleans can only have chiefs?:D

Sorry, I thought that was a lot funnier than it probably was.

Micjones
05-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Thank you. Glad somebody said it.

I'd bring Bowman in. Kid's got great size and good hands.
He doesn't have great speed, but I'd still give him a look.
No question in my mind.

CoMoChief
05-05-2008, 03:21 PM
OHHHH NOOOOO WEED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody hide and take cover. THIS GUY IS GONNA KILL SOMEONE!!!!! We all know weed ALWAYS leads to far worse things later on down the road.

Now it's weed, next time it's treason.

OnTheWarpath15
05-05-2008, 03:25 PM
1. Drug problem.

2. Judgement issues.

3. Piss poor 40.

I liked the kid initially too. I wanted the Chiefs to gamble on him. But the more I read, the less I like.

If it's just weed, it doesn't bother me, until it affects his performance.

Taking numbers 2, 3 and 4 into account, I'm guessing it's affecting his performance.

The kid was a sure fire 3rd round pick, now teams won't touch him.

There's more to the story than just dope, folks.

Micjones
05-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Taking numbers 2, 3 and 4 into account, I'm guessing it's affecting his performance.

Not necessarily. NFL front offices do make mistakes.
My goodness...

OnTheWarpath15
05-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Not necessarily. NFL front offices do make mistakes.
My goodness...

Yeah, all 32 of them...

I'm sure Bowman is the next Kurt Warner, just waiting for his chance.

Well, if Warner played WR, was slow as molasses and smoked chronic like it was his job.

Coach
05-05-2008, 05:21 PM

Could it be the possibility that he may face a 8 game or a year suspension if busted again? :shrug:

jAZ
05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Seriously, what harm is there in bringing in almost any prospect as a UDFA?

Buehler445
05-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm down for bringing him in, paying him nothing (maybe he'll pay to play). If he blows ass, kick him out. If he is decent, then start poking around his character.

This is a no risk, moderate reward transaction. I'm in.

Sure-Oz
05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Isnt this the guy that talib took out

Buehler445
05-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Isnt this the guy that talib took out

Yep.

KCrockaholic
05-05-2008, 07:32 PM
wow im surprised hes even available still, great talent, no brains

Mr. Flopnuts
05-05-2008, 07:38 PM

The only people who say stupid shit like this, are people who have NEVER smoked pot, and don't personally know anyone that has. Were you drinking a beer when you posted this tripe?

Mr. Flopnuts
05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Seriously, what harm is there in bringing in almost any prospect as a UDFA?

Especially one that plays a position of great need for the Chiefs. Even if they know something no one else does, they're idiots for not taking a look. They've got squadouche for depth at the position. Shit, they only have 1 play maker.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Could it be the possibility that he may face a 8 game or a year suspension if busted again? :shrug:

Since he hasn't gotten busted in the NFL I can't imagine that happening.

Brock
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
After the Chris Henry deal most teams are going to be a little leery of a guy who apparently can't learn.

Skip Towne
05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
He's a good one! Sign him up!

Mr. Flopnuts
05-05-2008, 08:07 PM
After the Chris Henry deal most teams are going to be a little leery of a guy who apparently can't learn.

That I understand. The guy's been popped twice. If you can't put that shit down long enough to make millions of dollars, well then there's not much that can be done for you.

Chiefmanwillcatch
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
What would be the harm though?

DaneMcCloud
05-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah, all 32 of them...

I'm sure Bowman is the next Kurt Warner, just waiting for his chance.

Well, if Warner played WR, was slow as molasses and smoked chronic like it was his job.

If this guy played in the ACC or Big East or Mountain Conference, no one would even know anything about him.

"Local" players seem to get more favor around here.

rrl308
05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Who’s the better receiver?

SIZE

Advantage: Hardy
Bowman: At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Bowman has a muscular, compact build that gives him great strength and the ability to muscle-up defenders. He has excellent core strength and leg drive.

Hardy: At 6-foot-7, 220 pounds, Hardy has a leaner build, but has superb muscle definition. His frame allows for more bulk and a greater chance of improving his overall size.

SPEED

Advantage: Even
Bowman: He’s been clocked in the mid 4.4’s to low 4.5’s, but plays much faster. Bowman possesses game speed; speed that doesn’t show up on stopwatches, but is noticeable on the field.

Hardy: A rangy, long-strider, Hardy has been clocked as low as 4.4, and as high as 4.5. He also plays at a higher level on game day and runs faster than his time indicates.

RELEASE

Advantage: Bowman
Bowman: Strong at the point of attack, Bowman gets a quick release off the line using his speed and strength. He’s excels against press coverage and is able to slip by the opposition with ease.

Hardy: Not very physical at the line, Hardy struggles in press coverage when matched up against a bigger defender. Corners usually play off of Hardy, respecting his game as a vertical threat. But when he’s challenged at the line, his momentum can be stalled.

ROUTE RUNNING

Bowman: His quick feet and strength allow him to get into his routes quickly. He runs good deep routes and is a consistent threat, but has to tighten up his path over the middle. He tends to run soft routes inside where a physical defender can react and sneak in front of Bowman for an interception.

Hardy: Hardy runs excellent vertical routes and slants over the middle. The problem is that Hardy catches a majority of his passes on the outside on comebacks or go-routes and doesn’t show much willingness to run solid patterns over the middle.

HANDS

Bowman: He has soft hands and can make highlight-reel grabs, but he tends to lose concentration and will drop easy passes. He’s been consistent the last two years, hauling in 60 receptions in 2006 and 61 this season for Oklahoma State.

Hardy: He has big, strong hands and can corral some of the most difficult passes. Since his freshman season at Indiana, Hardy has averaged 62 receptions for 897 yards and 12 touchdowns.

BODY CONTROL

Bowman: He is a gifted athlete that has the knack to make acrobatic receptions between two defenders, leaping over the opposition or hauling in a one-handed catch over the middle. He’s a human highlight reel waiting to happen.

Hardy: He’s your classic vertical threat who adjusts well to errant throws and uses his height to his advantage against the opposition. Hardy is a phenomenal red zone threat who runs the fade route to perfection and hauls in overthrown passes effortlessly.

CATCHING IN TRAFFIC

Bowman: He plays his best when pressure is applied downfield or over the middle and makes difficult receptions in traffic. He has a knack for the spectacular.

Hardy: He likes a different kind of traffic, as he displays incredible aerial receiving ability. Hardy likes to get vertical and challenge two defenders downfield to make a leaping reception, rather than challenging the opposition over the middle.

YARDS AFTER CATCH

Bowman: His ability to go over the middle, snare a tough pass, make a defender miss, and pick up extra yards downfield make him special. He’s not a burner, but he’s quick enough to escape a defender’s grasp and pick up positive yardage after a reception.

Hardy: He’s a vertical threat that makes a lot of plays downfield, but doesn’t have the opportunity to gain yardage after a reception. His receptions go for touchdowns, get defended immediately, or get knocked out of bounds.

DOWNFIELD BLOCKING

Bowman: He’s probably one of the best blocking receivers in the country. His strength, quickness, and aggressive style of play are huge factors in the Cowboys' rushing attack.

“I guarantee you I could put together a highlight tape on nothing but his blocks, and it would rival any other great wide receiver in the country,” Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Larry Fedora said referring to Bowman.

Hardy: He’s not much of a blocker, but his presence makes the Hoosiers running game effective. Hardy spreads out the defense due to his playmaking ability on the outside.

CHARACTER

Bowman: He transferred from North Carolina to Oklahoma State halfway through his sophomore season due to a drug-related incident. He’s since shown a lot of maturity on and off the field.

Hardy: No off the field issues to report.

OVERALL

Adarius Bowman and James Hardy offer multiple qualities to teams at the next level. They both possess great size, skill, and game-changing ability. But after analyzing them both, Bowman edged out Hardy. Hardy is still developing his overall game, but presents a mismatch against the opposition due to his towering stature. Bowman is a complete receiver who’s willing to make plays over the middle and downfield and contribute in the running game with his superb blocking. Hardy is an underclassman, and it’s unknown if he’ll declare for the draft, but his size and speed will intrigue teams selecting in the late-first or early-second round. Bowman, if he has a great workout and interviews well with teams at the NFL Scouting Combine, has the opportunity to be selected in the mid-to-late first round. Even though Bowman’s history is a bit sketchy, his talent is undeniable.

source: scout.com

patteeu
05-06-2008, 06:11 AM
1. Drug problem.

2. Judgement issues.

3. Piss poor 40.

A weed issue from his college days wouldn't normally bother me, but getting busted on the eve of the draft after blowing the 40 and choking in the senior bowl makes it seem like this guy's head is messed up.

StcChief
05-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Bring him in for look see....rookie 1 year contract with stipulations if he can get thru camp.

blueballs
05-06-2008, 09:06 AM
roy17 needs to make a chart on all oklahoma state
receivers in the NFL before the Chiefs waste thier time

aturnis
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Weed now, something far worse later. Weed is an entry level drug. Things will probably get worse.

WUT-EVAR!!!