PDA

View Full Version : Football Lewis to Chad Johnson ...... get over it

Mr. Laz
05-06-2008, 05:27 PM
LEWIS PLANS FOR FUTURE AT WIDE RECEIVER (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/06/lewis-plans-for-future-at-wide-receiver/)

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 6, 2008, 1:51 p.m.
In an interview with Peter King of Sports Illustrated, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis reiterated that he has no interest in trading, re-negotiating with or doing anything else that might placate wide receiver Chad Johnson, meaning a showdown is likely coming between the coach and his most vocal player.

“We’ve made it clear what the stance is,” Lewis told King. “It’s not going to change (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/05/06/mailbag/), today or in August, whenever. You cannot allow a player to get up on his high chair with four years left on his contract and demand to get out. If you do that, you set a terrible example for the rest of your team, and we won’t do that.”

Cincinnati picked three wide receivers in this year’s draft: Jerome Simpson of Coastal Carolina in the second round, Andre Caldwell of Florida in the third and Mario Urrutia of Louisville in the seventh. Lewis suggested that the Bengals made those picks not only because of Johnson’s unhappiness and the release of Chris Henry, but also because they are preparing for life without their other starting receiver, T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

“T.J.’s at the end of his contract this year,” Lewis said, per King, “and I don’t know if it’s possible to re-sign him. Chad says he won’t play without a trade. We just have to be prepared for anything this year, and for the future.”

A year or two ago it looked like Johnson and Houshmandzadeh would play their prime years with Carson Palmer as their quarterback. But it’s now looking more like Palmer will be breaking in a whole new set of receivers sooner rather than later.

kcchiefsus
05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
LMAO. Just when it looked like that franchise was on their way up they are turning into complete crap again.

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't object to seeing an NFL Prima Donna attention whore taken down a notch or three. Bench his ass.

It doesn't hurt my team, and will probably set back the Bengals. Win-Win-Win in my book. :thumb:

Mecca
05-06-2008, 05:35 PM
The Bengals are cutting off their noses to spit their faces here....when you hurt your organization with no reason other than to spite a player...that makes you a shitty organization.

beach tribe
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Heh. Dumb move for the Bungals not taking the the Skins' offer, but I would love to see them pull a Marcus Allen on this loud mouth.

Basileus777
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Even Matt Millen is shaking his head at the stupidity of the Bengals.

kstater
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't object to seeing an NFL Prima Donna attention whore taken down a notch or three. Bench his ass.

It doesn't hurt my team, and will probably set back the Bengals. Win-Win-Win in my book. :thumb:

My thoughts exactly. Didn't he just sign an extension last year? **** him.

cdcox
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
The Bengals are cutting off their noses to spit their faces here....when you hurt your organization with no reason other than to spite a player...that makes you a shitty organization.

More like when you are a shitty organization (which the Bungul have been for years) you do this kind of thing on a regular basis.

Basileus777
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
****ing over Chad is amusing, but there is a reason that GMs don't typically pull stunts like this, there is no benefit to it. They could have gotten great value for Chad by trading him to the Skins, but instead they decided to spite him. This will be a distraction for the team all year long, and ultimately they get nothing from it.

Hammock Parties
05-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Curse of ending our 9-0 streak.

BigChiefFan
05-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Oh bullshit. Johnson is under contract with 4 years left. How exactly has Cincy screwed up- because they won't cave to his demands? Funny, but you sure didn't take that stance with JA. So Cincy should just bend over because Johnson is being a little suck tit? Absolutely absurd.

Brock
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh bullshit. Johnson is under contract with 4 years left. How exactly has Cincy screwed up- because they won't cave to his demands? Funny, but you sure didn't take that stance with JA. So Cincy should just bend over because Johnson is being a little suck tit? Absolutely absurd.

They should have traded him and re-signed Housh long term. That's how they screwed up, IMO.

kcxiv
05-06-2008, 06:23 PM
He doesnt want to be there because that team sucks. He doesnt want to play for a mediocre to bad team. I think he seen the writing on the wall and maybe something happened behind closed doors we dont know about. Either way, it doesnt bother me any of he holds out or goes to camp. Its amusing though to see what team caves in.

BigChiefFan
05-06-2008, 06:30 PM
They should have traded him and re-signed Housh long term. That's how they screwed up, IMO.
That's like saying we should trade LJ right now, regardless of the cap implications.

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
My thoughts exactly. Didn't he just sign an extension last year? **** him.

It's probably too much to hope for, but maybe it sends a message to some of the other prima donnas that when you sign a contract, you live up to it. You don't get out of it by throwing a temper tantrum in the press.

If they are willing to take it on the chin to pass that message to CJ (and a few other prima donnas), more power to them. LMAO

He doesnt want to be there because that team sucks. He doesnt want to play for a mediocre to bad team.

He signed the contract. Let him live with it. Vito Corleone didn't put a gun to his head and tell him his brains or his signature would be on the contract. F*** him.

Basileus777
05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Maybe it sends a message to some of the other prima donnas that when you sign a contract, you live up to it. You don't get out of it by throwing a temper tantrum in the press.

If their willing to take it on the chin to pass that message to CJ (and a few other prima donnas), more power to them. LMAO

Its not worth it to set the team back to send a message.

Brock
05-06-2008, 06:33 PM
That's like saying we should trade LJ right now, regardless of the cap implications.

Cap implications my ass. There is basically no such thing as a salary cap anymore.

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 06:36 PM

If it keeps them from having the same problem in the future with another player, I'd say it is. :shrug:

I'll freely admit I may be prejudiced by my utter contempt for someone who signs a contract, and then decides to act like a 6 year old to get out of it.

Hammock Parties
05-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Cap implications my ass. There is basically no such thing as a salary cap anymore.

Why do you think the Raiders released Dominic Rhodes last week?

Brock
05-06-2008, 06:38 PM

Because they don't need 8 running backs and he was a mistake to begin with?

BigChiefFan
05-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Cap implications my ass. There is basically no such thing as a salary cap anymore.Okay, that's why so many say we can't trade LJ.

The cap isn't an obstacle like it used to be, but they are still very much cap implications. Mainly the signing bonus, though already paid to the player upfront (in most cases) would be escalted to only having two years to pay out the remaining portion and count AGAINST the cap. That would be foolish to throw all that bonus money away-that defeats the very purpose of signing a player to a long-term contract. It also means the team is out the entire signing bonus for one year's worth of work-that's foolhardy at best.

Brock
05-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Okay, that's why so many say we can't trade LJ.

The cap isn't an obstacle like it used to be, but they are still very much cap implications. Mainly the signing bonus, though already paid to the player upfront (in most cases) would be escalted to only having two years to pay out the remaining portion and count AGAINST the cap. That would be foolish to throw all that bonus money away-that defeats the very purpose of signing a player to a long-term contract.

They couldn't trade LJ because nobody offered shit for him. That's all.

Basileus777
05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
We could trade LJ if we wanted. There would be a cap hit, but we aren't spending that money anyway, so it wouldn't matter. We have enough cap room to absorb it.

beach tribe
05-06-2008, 06:43 PM
"He can't pout like Ocho Cinco do"

alanm
05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Basically because they need the money to sign McFadden.

BigChiefFan
05-06-2008, 06:45 PM
They couldn't trade LJ because nobody offered shit for him. That's all.Dude, there is a salary cap and there are cap implications whether you admit to it or not. Throwing the entire signing bonus down the drain for one year's worth of work is ****ing stupidity at it's finest. No ****ing team in their right mind would do it.

Brock
05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Dude, there is a salary cap and there are cap implications whether you admit to it or not. Throwing the entire signing bonus down the drain for one year's worth of work is ****ing stupidity at it's finest. No ****ing team in their right mind would do it.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention you have to want to trade the player. So that's probably the major reason the chiefs didn't trade LJ. Cap implications are just an excuse they use to mollify stupid fans.

Mecca
05-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't care what Chad Johnson did said or whatever, the Redskins offered basically 2 1st round picks for him, they should have taken that and laughed all the way to the bank. He's a WR that is right around 30 years old....

Not trading him is bad for their team when they got that offer, it'd be one thing if no one offered anything. They could have gotten good picks for him really more than he's worth.

I don't know what they think they are accomplishing other than pissing him off to prove a point...a point that their organization is still crap.

Hammock Parties
05-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Because they don't need 8 running backs and he was a mistake to begin with?

Nope.

KcMizzou
05-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't care what Chad Johnson did said or whatever, the Redskins offered basically 2 1st round picks for him, they should have taken that and laughed all the way to the bank. He's a WR that is right around 30 years old....

Not trading him is bad for their team when they got that offer, it'd be one thing if no one offered anything. They could have gotten good picks for him really more than he's worth.

I don't know what they think they are accomplishing other than pissing him off to prove a point...a point that their organization is still crap.I agree. It's not worth hurting your franchise just because you're holding a grudge.

Sure, maybe the guy deserves to be taught a lesson, but not at the cost of your franchise and your fans.

Mecca
05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Nope.

The point is if you want to get around the cap you can.

Brock
05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Nope.

I'm not really interested in blogger opinion, if that's what this is leading to. Thanks anyway.

beach tribe
05-06-2008, 07:20 PM

I don't know what they think they are accomplishing other than pissing him off to prove a point...a point that their organization is still crap.

Yea. I mean, if they offered a mid-rounder or something, I could understand, but damn.

Molitoth
05-06-2008, 07:22 PM

At least the Bengals will go down in history as the team that tried to set a good example to the whiney bitch players in the league who think can do whatever they want... rather then just another disapointing Bengal season.
Go Bengals! :eek:

Mecca
05-06-2008, 07:24 PM
At least the Bengals will go down in history as the team that tried to set a good example to the whiney bitch players in the league who think can do whatever they want... rather then just another disapointing Bengal season.

Chad Johnson is the guy they set the example to.....as in the past few years we can name how many guys who've done much worse things. Hell Odell Thurman is still on that team.

Hammock Parties
05-06-2008, 07:24 PM
The point is if you want to get around the cap you can.

Well, yeah. But to say the cap doesn't exist is downright ignorant.

KcMizzou
05-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Chad Johnson is the guy they set the example to.....as in the past few years we can name how many guys who've done much worse things. Hell Odell Thurman is still on that team.
Yeah, seems like an odd guy to take a stand against, considering some of their recent troubles. (If for no other reason than the fact that they could actually get good value out of CJ.)

Mecca
05-06-2008, 07:26 PM
The Bengals are just stupid as hell.....

They got the franchise QB and nothing else, clean house, take the picks for CJ, build the team up around Palmer on offense and Rivers on defense, ditch the bad apples.

And yes that includes their coach who should have been fired by now.

Brock
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, yeah. But to say the cap doesn't exist is downright ignorant.

It's a high enough figure that it doesn't play a huge role among most teams in the league in deciding who they sign or don't. I'm sorry if you can't understand common literary devices such as exaggeration for effect.

Sure-Oz
05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Thats like carl telling jared **** You, we'll keep doing franchise till we cant, you can show or not and we won't get shit for you cause we're marvin lewis

beach tribe
05-06-2008, 07:30 PM

Yea, but he's 30, and there were two firsts involved. I'd trade his ass for that even if he wasn't a bitch.

the Talking Can
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM

yup

Cinci got his best years....there is always a way around the cap, unless they're convinced they are going to the superbowl this year...which would be stupid....

kcxiv
05-06-2008, 09:02 PM
It's probably too much to hope for, but maybe it sends a message to some of the other prima donnas that when you sign a contract, you live up to it. You don't get out of it by throwing a temper tantrum in the press.

If they are willing to take it on the chin to pass that message to CJ (and a few other prima donnas), more power to them. LMAO

He signed the contract. Let him live with it. Vito Corleone didn't put a gun to his head and tell him his brains or his signature would be on the contract. F*** him.

People sign contracts all the time that teams dont fully honor, to me him signing a contract in the NFL doesnt mean a ****ing thing

Ugly Duck
05-06-2008, 09:44 PM

You folks in ChiefsLand probably don't keep up on Raider personnel details. Rhodes asked for a stipulation in his contract & Al Davis granted it. Rhodes saw Fargas' contract, saw Michael Bush practicing & saw the possibility of McFadden coming down the pike. So he said he'd play in Oakland, but wanted the door open for him to leave if the Raiders picked McFadden. Didn't want to sit around just as an insurance policy in case the other guys went down. Raiders picked DMAC, Rhodes left just as everyone had agreed upon. No mystery (unless one chooses to read something diabolical into the deal just for yucks).

el borracho
05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
League should step in, IMO, when well-compensated players decide they just don't feel like playing out their contract. I'm not sure what could be done, but it seems like there should be some penalty for throwing a tantrum like this. I mean, it would be different if it were his rookie contract or if he were being traded against his wishes but to sign a big money contract and then demand a trade is embarrassingly bad form.

Maybe the league could order the return of the entire signing bonus as a penalty for a player willfully failing to honor their contract. :shrug:

kcchiefsus
05-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Except we were not offered two 1st round picks for LJ, the Bengals potentially were. They were offered a 1st this year and a 3rd next year that could become a 1st.

Brock
05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
You folks in ChiefsLand probably don't keep up on Raider personnel details.

I don't really care to. Goatse just acts like he does so that he can seem like a journalist with real sources and information.

Hammock Parties
05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't really care to. Goatse just acts like he does so that he can seem like a journalist with real sources and information.

You sure are an asshole.

el borracho
05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
League should step in, IMO, when well-compensated players decide they just don't feel like playing out their contract. I'm not sure what could be done, but it seems like there should be some penalty for throwing a tantrum like this. I mean, it would be different if it were his rookie contract or if he were being traded against his wishes but to sign a big money contract and then demand a trade is embarrassingly bad form.

Maybe the league could order the return of the entire signing bonus as a penalty for a player willfully failing to honor their contract. :shrug:

Actually, money wouldn't be enough of a deterrent to these assholes because their new team would just pick up the tab. Maybe repay the signing bonus and a eight game suspension for failing to honor the contract.

Brock
05-06-2008, 10:13 PM
You sure are an asshole.

Don't tell anybody.

BigChiefFan
05-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Well, yeah. But to say the cap doesn't exist is downright ignorant.Yes, very ignorant indeed. We all know there are ways around the cap, but to pretend the signing bonus isn't escalated is downright ignorant.

BigChiefFan
05-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Except we were not offered two 1st round picks for LJ, the Bengals potentially were. They were offered a 1st this year and a 3rd next year that could become a 1st.That still doesn't get them out of having to pay the ENTIRE SIGNING BONUS.

KCrockaholic
05-07-2008, 08:50 AM

i agree with you, Johnson should not get what he wants just because hes being a cry baby B****. players need to learn that they signed a contract, their getting paid millions every year, and hes gonna sit out and probably ruin his career because hes selfish.

Brock
05-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes, very ignorant indeed. We all know there are ways around the cap, but to pretend the signing bonus isn't escalated is downright ignorant.

There are ways around the cap, there are ways not to pay him that bonus too. I can't believe how obtuse and stupid you people are.

BigChiefFan
05-07-2008, 09:11 AM
There are ways around the cap, there are ways not to pay him that bonus too. I can't believe how obtuse and stupid you people are.
Great. Call people names and don't back your claim-wow you have great credentials.:rolleyes:

Brock
05-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Great. Call people names and don't back your claim-wow you have great credentials.:rolleyes:

I'm doing the same thing you're doing. You are no salary cap expert, stop acting like you are. And when teams are tens of millions of dollars under the cap, there may as well be no salary cap, if you can't understand that point, you should probably just bow out of the discussion altogether.

J Diddy
05-07-2008, 09:15 AM

to my knowledge their is no way to stop them for paying for an already paid bonus

if you know otherwise please do tell

J Diddy
05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm doing the same thing you're doing. You are no salary cap expert, stop acting like you are. And when teams are tens of millions of dollars under the cap, there may as well be no salary cap, if you can't understand that point, you should probably just bow out of the discussion altogether.

so you're saying they should just toss the signing money away to get a couple of draft picks?

Sure-Oz
05-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I agree. It's not worth hurting your franchise just because you're holding a grudge.

Sure, maybe the guy deserves to be taught a lesson, but not at the cost of your franchise and your fans.

Probably the dumbest organization ive seen to date, not even the raiders or carl is that stupid

BigChiefFan
05-07-2008, 09:19 AM
The great and almighty Brock is the only one who understands the cap. What the **** ever. They paid the signing bonus-the only way to get back is if Johnson agrees to pay it back or the team willing to trade for him agrees to pay part or all of it. There are no other options. Yes, they may be under the cap, but they are still responsible for the signing bonus money, regardless. To suggest otherwise is complete, utter horseshit.

BTW, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the cap-it's actually quite self-explanatory, but thanks for acting like you are the only one who has a clue, when quite clearly, you don't.

Brock
05-07-2008, 09:21 AM
so you're saying they should just toss the signing money away to get a couple of draft picks?

What are the options?

1. Keep Chad Johnson around: do we really even need to discuss what a bad idea this is? He doesn't want to be there. You can force him to stay, but you can't force him to be a good teammate, and you can't force him to work hard. Meanwhile, you're forced to let Houshmandzedah leave.

2. Trade him now while his value is as high as it will ever be. Get rid of a locker room cancer and move on.

Gee, I don't know Yogi. Maybe we better ask the ranger.

Adept Havelock
05-07-2008, 09:22 AM
People sign contracts all the time that teams dont fully honor, to me him signing a contract in the NFL doesnt mean a ****ing thing

All of those contracts have provisions for the team to terminate it, which the player is fully aware of when they put their name on the dotted line.

I've never heard of one with a "I can get out of it by throwing a temper tantrum in the press" clause.

F*** Chad Johnson, and his 6yo antics.

If it were me I'd have traded his sorry ass for the picks to Washington. They didn't. Now I'm going to laugh my ass off as the poor little clown whines about how unfairly he's being treated after he brought it on himself.

JMO.

What are the options?

1. Keep Chad Johnson around: do we really even need to discuss what a bad idea this is? He doesn't want to be there. You can force him to stay, but you can't force him to be a good teammate, and you can't force him to work hard. Meanwhile, you're forced to let Houshmandzedah leave.

2. Trade him now while his value is as high as it will ever be. Get rid of a locker room cancer and move on.

I'd have gone with 2. As they didn't, I'm waiting for option 3: Wait till the idiot does something and can be nailed under the "conduct detrimental to the team" clause.

J Diddy
05-07-2008, 09:23 AM
What are the options?

what kind of precedent do you think that would set mr. ranger

Brock
05-07-2008, 09:25 AM
what kind od precedent do you think that would set mr. ranger

Are you really going to act like this is some kind of significant first time ever event?

StcChief
05-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Ocho Cinco de la Baby.... get over it

beach tribe
05-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Heh. You've been here almost six years longer than me, and are just now figuring out that Brock doesn't back up shit. Just makes claims, then insults people when they disagree.

There is NO WAY we can get out of giving LJ his SIGNING BONUS. We don't have to pay him a dime of his salary, but he will get every cent of that 19 mil.

Easy 6
05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Its about time Marvin dug in his heels & went into Bad Cop mode with this team...the bungles were the inspiration for the term "Inmates Running the Asylum".

Its funny to imagine a little, gold-toofed CJ throwing a fit in his "high-chair".

Bring the pain, Marvin.

BigChiefFan
05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Heh. You've been here almost six years longer than me, and are just now figuring out that Brock doesn't back up shit. Just makes claims, then insults people when they disagree.

There is NO WAY we can get out of giving LJ his SIGNING BONUS. We don't have to pay him a dime of his salary, but he will get every cent of that 19 mil.
I guess I've just never seen him defend this degree of dumbassery. It's hard to remember everybody's stance on things, too. This one will be hard to forget.

KCBOSS1
05-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I get so sick of all of the contract junk across the board. It's super rediculous. Contracts mean nothing to players anymore. I know that this board gets sick of Favre, or Madden's crush on him or whatever, but I think he's the last of the franchise guys. I don't ever remember him doing this, "I got to have my 17 mil so that I can feed my family" stuff. There is absolutely no pride or loyalty and the game loses a lot for me. It's the same way in all sports. I don't know, most of you guys who post on here are probably not used to any era where loyalty means anything.

I remember when Brett was a Royal period. We loved hating the Yankees. We loved hating the Raiders...but you knew it was Madden, Stabler...those guys. I don't know, I just think it's really lost something overall.

The money deal....guys like A-Rod gets paid more than the Marlins team....I'm just too old for all of the this crap. It irritates me everytime I hear about the size of the salaries and signing bonuses.

OK, I feel better now.