PDA

View Full Version : Video Games PC Mass Effect copy protection

QuikSsurfer
05-06-2008, 05:49 PM
This is ****ing ridiculous. Love being treated like a criminal or Krogan scumbag

http://theangrypixel.com/blog/2008/05/06/mass-effect-pc-cd-protection/
According to Derek French, Mass Effect, scheduled to arrive on the PC this 28th, will employ the same SecuROM online activation system that was initially put into Bioshock, allowing the buyer to activate his copy of Mass Effect for 3 times before politely asking to him / her to go to hell, that is, contact the customer service “helpline” to get it reactivated. And while the game itself wouldn’t require the DVD to be physically present in the drive, it goes one step further and phones home every 10 days and re-authenticates just to make sure legit customers are not the worst form of criminal scum publishers swear we are.

The authentication, which will be initialized every time you run MassEffect.exe, will send the CD Key and a unique machine identifier to the activation servers, which will be cross-referenced with the data that was sent when the game was initially activated. Well, actually, it runs screaming to Mama every 5 days, but if it can’t connect, it will still allow you to save the galaxy and sleep around with Asari consorts for another 5 days, presumably reminding you to re-activate often with the dogged persistence of a James Bond doomsday death clock.

In all honesty, I don’t really mind an online activation system, even one that requires me to reactivate every time I reinstall the game, but online checks every 10 days for as long as I want to play it? Seems more of a marriage license rather than an End User agreement. And God forbid if EA decides, a couple of years down the line, (like they usually do) to discontinue support for their older titles. Does that mean I can’t play the game that I paid for no more? I still bloody well play Quake II, thank you very much, without having to jump through flaming hoops. What happens when this so-called perfect activation system messes up and sends me bouncing back and forth between the publisher’s and SecuROM’s customer support, like Bioshock ended up doing. Even Steam’s Offline Mode allows me to play the games that I paid for without an internet connection, if need be, without the undue hassles of having to assure Valve every couple of days that I am not pilfering their precious little game.

kcxiv
05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
This is the USA. You are now guilty until proven innocent. Look at all the threads in the lounge that have to do with people being investigated about anything. All guilty first. lol

JBucc
05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
And just like Bioshock, it will be cracked within two weeks and pirates won't have to deal with this shit.

Hammock Parties
05-06-2008, 05:56 PM
n00bs

QuikSsurfer
05-06-2008, 05:57 PM
And just like Bioshock, it will be cracked within two weeks and pirates won't have to deal with this shit.

No doubt but it's still a ****ing pain in the ass.

QuikSsurfer
05-06-2008, 06:01 PM
You get 3 activations... I install a game, beat it, and uninstall to free up space. Let's say a few years down the road, I'm going through my stack of games and decide i want to reinstall Mass Effect... Well if i've exceeded the 3rd activation, i've lost ownership.

Adept Havelock
05-06-2008, 06:26 PM
It's a pain in the ass, and you can thank people like GOATSE who don't respect intellectual property for that.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

QuikSsurfer
05-06-2008, 06:28 PM
It is a pain in the ass, and you can thank people like GOATSE who have no respect for intellectual property for that.

You're exactly right. This falls solely on the pirates laps.

05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
It's a pain in the ass, and you can thank people like GOATSE who don't respect intellectual property for that.

Unless it is from WP.

Hammock Parties
05-06-2008, 11:06 PM
You're exactly right. This falls solely on the pirates laps.

I'm devastated. Really.

Basileus777
05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
What idiocy. All this does it bother legitimate buyers, pirates won't even be phased by it. I knew EA would ruin Bioware. All this does it cost them money, copy protection doesn't work. This actually gives pirates a superior product than paying customers, giving people incentive not to pay for their game.

I own ME on Xbox so this doesn't effect me, but if they employ this copy protection on other games such as Dragon Age.... Well in that case I will be pirating them instead of of paying.

QuikSsurfer
05-06-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm devastated. Really.

You're predictable.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Come on. Who here has NEVER pirated some shit? Really?

Lzen
05-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I will be buying this game on the 360, but this does suck. All this copy protection crap these days is a bunch of nonsense. The thieves will crack it. I recently bought Nero 8 Ultra and it uses something similar. What a pain in the butt. I wish there were some way around that for Nero.

Bill S Preston
05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Won't be long before they just stop making stuff for PC.

Hammock Parties
05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
I recently bought Nero 8 Ultra and it uses something similar. What a pain in the butt. I wish there were some way around that for Nero.

There is.

Ultra Peanut
05-09-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't even want to play it on the PC after putting an ungodly amount of hours into it on the 360, but I think I'm going to pirate this, purely out of spite.

Frazod
05-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I may pick this up on PC just to see how it plays; seems like it would be a much better game with the mouse/keyboard controls.

QuikSsurfer
05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
I may pick this up on PC just to see how it plays; seems like it would be a much better game with the mouse/keyboard controls.

The Mako will still drive like shit.

Frazod
05-09-2008, 12:11 PM
The Mako will still drive like shit.

I got used to it. In fact, that's kind of messing me up with GTAIV, because the controls for the car are completely different.

KcMizzou
05-10-2008, 10:52 PM
BioWare Backs Down From Draconian Mass Effect Authentication

When Mass Effect comes to the computer it will not use SecuROM's 10-day periodic re-authentication and instead will instead use a modification to do only a one-time online authentication, Bioware announced today.

The developer said the decision came after listening "very closely" to its fans and that the new system will also allow gamers to play the game without the DVD in the drive.

The system will allow gamers to authenticate their game on just three computers, but EA does have the ability to give additional authorizations if they are warranted.

http://kotaku.com/5008452/bioware-backs-down-from-draconian-mass-effect-authentication

KcMizzou
05-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Bravo, Bioware. :clap:

Mr. Laz
05-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Won't be long before they just stop making stuff for PC.
could be right but if they do they will lose a HUGE part of the market.

i prefer PC gaming ...... period

also people have already mod/cracked the consoles as well. If they stop PC games these mods/cracks will skyrocket.