PDA

View Full Version : Computers XP:Service Pack 3

Sure-Oz
05-06-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/06/windows-xp-sp3-hits-windows-update-vista-sp1-makes-a-comeback/

At last the moment you've been waiting for. Microsoft wants to hit your version of Windows with an update, and this time you don't have to go rummaging around the internet to find it: just fire up Windows Update and let Microsoft do all the work. After a few false starts XP users get the much-anticipated SP3 update, which promises speed boosts and some of the fancy security features found in Vista. If you're a Vista user you're also in luck, since Microsoft has restarted its Vista SP1 distribution after some compatibility problems with Microsoft Dynamics RMS. Sounds like a party.

Normal users...you know what to do

For dummies:hit tools, then windows update on your browser...then download and install...

Sure-Oz
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Link for IT and Network Admins around...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en

Brief Description
This installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network. If you're updating just one computer, please visit Windows Update.

dtebbe
05-06-2008, 07:58 PM
So any buzz out there positive or negative on SP3? Can't tell if that review was sarcastic or straight up...

DT

Sure-Oz
05-06-2008, 08:04 PM
So any buzz out there positive or negative on SP3? Can't tell if that review was sarcastic or straight up...

DT

I'm pretty sure it's straight up, i've got it installed for about 30 min and notice the system runs a bit faster...

05-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I have been hearing that there are problems with SP3. I turned off automatic updates completely until they have it all ironed out.

Fish
05-14-2008, 01:19 PM
We've rolled it out to a few hundred machines so far with no problems...

The only hitch was an older laptop whose wireless card didn't support WPA2 through the device drivers. XP3 updates the system for built-in WPA2 support, and it gave the user errors when she tried to connect to an already configured wireless connection. But that was an issue with the wireless card. Recreating the wireless connection fixed that issue.

Sure-Oz
05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Still no issues on my side, knock on wood

Hammock Parties
05-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I have had zero problems.

05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Worked fine on my desktop and my laptop.

SLAG
05-14-2008, 09:51 PM
There was some AMD machines that were rebooting but Mostly Intels have been fine..

I put it on my friends and hes been good

I will put on my weak XP box/laptop and the Mrs.'s

keg in kc
05-15-2008, 04:31 AM
There was some AMD machines that were rebooting but Mostly Intels have been fine..I'm on an AMD and I couldn't boot up at all after SP3. So I rolled-back to SP2. Going to try it again now that I've looked into the fix.

keg in kc
05-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Okay, fix for my AMD processor appears to have worked. Was simple, too. Just rebooted into safe mode as soon as the install finished, and changed the start value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm to 4.

kepp
05-15-2008, 06:44 AM
Okay, fix for my AMD processor appears to have worked. Was simple, too. Just rebooted into safe mode as soon as the install finished, and changed the start value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm to 4.

Any word on whether or not M$ is aware of this? I have AMD also so I'm in a holding pattern.

keg in kc
05-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Any word on whether or not M$ is aware of this? I have AMD also so I'm in a holding pattern.Microsoft has known about it since before SP3 was even released to the public. The problem isn't actually on their end, it's on the manufacturers' end (I have a Hewlitt-Packard, and I know in my case it has to do with the way they have windows set up) but I still can't believe they let something like this out there with the potential of screwing up a swath of machines, whether it's technically their fault or not. (Well, I can believe it, but you know what I mean...)

Smed1065
05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Installed 2 days ago and it is fine, so far.....

Sure-Oz
05-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Installed it on my gf's amd athlon 70 laptop, worked perfect

kepp
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Microsoft has known about it since before SP3 was even released to the public. The problem isn't actually on their end, it's on the manufacturers' end (I have a Hewlitt-Packard, and I know in my case it has to do with the way they have windows set up) but I still can't believe they let something like this out there with the potential of screwing up a swath of machines, whether it's technically their fault or not. (Well, I can believe it, but you know what I mean...)

I built mine myself so I wonder if I'd have the same problem.

keg in kc
05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Installed it on my gf's amd athlon 70 laptop, worked perfectAs far as HP goes, my understanding is that the problems are only with their desktop models.

Kepp, you should be fine. The problem is with the way HP setup their OEM image of windows. They used the same code for their AMD computers and their Intel computers, and what happens is that their AMD models hangup at the tail-end of startup because they're trying to load the desktop image the exact same way that their intel models do, but, of course, they're not intel chipsets, and windows is unable to finish because it isn't finding what its code says should be there. Fortunately it's a minute problem that can be fixed in about 2 seconds by making that change in the registry I mentioned earlier. I've also found a registry change you can apparently make before-hand that will keep it from happening.

(That's the crude version of the story, of course...)

My guess is, again, that you should be fine, since you built it yourself. Assuming you're not using an OEM version of windows that you got from HP...