PDA

View Full Version : Computers Diskette drive failure

Abba-Dabba
05-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Just looking to see if anyone has had this problem before.

A couple days ago we had a power outage at the house in the middle of the night. When the power came back on, so did the computer after having been shut down properly before heading to bed. I do have it hooked up to a surge protector. Now everytime on startup I recieve... Diskette Drive 0 failure message.

options it give me are F1 to continue F2 to enter setup. F1 resumes normal function of the computer. F2 sends me right back to the failure message. It is a SATA drive.

My opinion is that HDD is going tits up. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Baby Lee
05-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Just looking to see if anyone has had this problem before.

A couple days ago we had a power outage at the house in the middle of the night. When the power came back on, so did the computer after having been shut down properly before heading to bed. I do have it hooked up to a surge protector. Now everytime on startup I recieve... Diskette Drive 0 failure message.

options it give me are F1 to continue F2 to enter setup. F1 resumes normal function of the computer. F2 sends me right back to the failure message. It is a SATA drive.

My opinion is that HDD is going tits up. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Do you have a defrag program like Diskeeper?
Might've been defragging a key file when the power went out.

Abba-Dabba
05-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Do you have a defrag program like Diskeeper?
Might've been defragging a key file when the power went out.

Nope. Comp was completely shut down at time of power outage. Turned itself back on when power came back on.

I don't really know how that is even possible. But it happened.

Fish
05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Nope. Comp was completely shut down at time of power outage. Turned itself back on when power came back on.

I don't really know how that is even possible. But it happened.

If it's not physically unplugged from the electricity, including a surge protector, it really doesn't matter if it's shut down or not. It can still be damaged by a storm. Surge protectors aren't guaranteed protection by any means. Especially cheap ones. The fact that it turned itself back on means it was set to restart on power failure within the BIOS. That means it had electricity supplied to it at all times. Are you sure it wasn't just in hibernation or sleep mode?

Anyway, try hitting F2 and going into the BIOS. Check to see if the BIOS recognizes the drive or not. If it recognizes it, but just can't boot to it, then it is likely salvageable. You may need another machine to get the drive bootable again though.

If the BIOS doesn't recognize the drive any longer, you're probably screwed. Be sure and try a different SATA port or a different computer just to make sure though.