PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Do you think Brandon Albert will make it as a LT in this league?

suds79
05-07-2008, 05:59 PM
The reason why I ask is because today I was trying to think of Chief players who were asked to change positions and it worked.

It’s hard to figure the success rate but from the way I figure it, it seems like there’s more misses than hits.

Part of me wonders if we’d just be better off putting Albert at Guard where you’d expect him to dominate for years to come.

There’s some winners and losers that I can recall.

Winners:

Eric Warfield – Safety in college to decent corner (for a while) in the pros
Brian Waters – TE in college to LG

Losers:

William Bartee – Safety to CB
Kris Wilson – TE to FB
Boomer Grigsby – LB to FB
Kendrell Bell – 3-4 MLB to 4-3 OLB

Who am I forgetting?

Hammock Parties
05-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Yes. He was stuck at left guard for three years because of D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He has the athletic ability to play left tackle. The Eagles were also hot on his ass before we snaked in and stole him away. The Eagles KNOW big-time offensive linemen.

Mr. Laz
05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
you think they chiefs are gonna get that lucky?

with Herm as head coach?

i just hope he's good enough to start ........... somewhere.

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Will Shields didn't seem to have much trouble going from right guard to left tackle (he was the backup there for several years, as I recall). Albert should be fine, with the kind of athleticism he brings to the table.

('Shouldn't' doesn't mean 'won't' of course...)

While I have no frickin' idea and generally don't like to guess, I did guess 'yes' on this. I think he might turn out to be a good left tackle for a long time.

morphius
05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
I hope he does, but learning to convert to one of the hardest positions to fill on a team, straight out of college, has me a bit worried.

Rain Man
05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm going with guard. I think it's odd at best to take a college guard and try to convert him to left tackle.

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 06:13 PM
I hope he does, but learning to convert to one of the hardest positions to fill on a team, straight out of college, has me a bit worried.I'm not sure how they're planning to do it, but I don't know that I would put him there now. I'd probably start him on the right side, with tight end help, and move him to left tackle for '09. And I think the line this year is probably better with McIntosh at LT and Albert at RT than vice versa (as much about McIntosh as Albert, if not moreso).

The wild card may be Richardson. If he looks ready to play at right tackle, I'd drop McIntosh from the equation altogether and put Albert on the left side, but I don't expect to see him starting until '09 either.

Either way, I don't think the change necessarily has to come straight out of college. Although if it does, and he 'gets it' so much the better.

StcChief
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
yep. if not this year next

Ralphy Boy
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
As long as Albert ends up being better at LT than Ryan Clady, I'll be happy. There are many on this board who think that Clady will be a bust and I hope their right, but I'm afraid he'll end up being a stud. I wanted him for KC and would rather take a gamble on drafting a small school LT to play the same position as a pro than I would in taking a big school guard and moving him to LT.

At the end of the day, I'm so happy with how the draft went as a whole that I don't really care. Of course if he ends up being a bust, I'll say that I told you so and if he becomes a stud then I'll hope this thread never sees the light of day again.

suds79
05-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Will Shields didn't seem to have much trouble going from right guard to left tackle (he was the backup there for several years, as I recall). Albert should be fine, with the kind of athleticism he brings to the table.

('Shouldn't' doesn't mean 'won't' of course...)

While I have no frickin' idea and generally don't like to guess, I did guess 'yes' on this. I think he might turn out to be a good left tackle for a long time.

I thought about listing Will but couldn't do it. Sure he might have been listed as a backup LT somewhere but as I recall, he was asked to step in and play LT for 1 game was it?... He played well but it was one game.

Braincase
05-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Does hopin' count as thinkin'?

milkman
05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I have no doubt that Albert can easily convert to LT.

He's athletic and quick, moves well in space, and has "Dancer's feet".

My money says he, along with Chris Williams, will be the best LT from this draft.

noa
05-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I have faith.

Look at my avatar. Does that look like any old bag of bones you just throw at guard, or a tackle who is about to rip your face off so LJ can jam the ball down your esophagus?

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 06:42 PM
I thought about listing Will but couldn't do it. Sure he might have been listed as a backup LT somewhere but as I recall, he was asked to step in and play LT for 1 game was it?... He played well but it was one game.You may be right, although I could swear I saw him in there more than once.

Either way, he was the backup for years; I don't think they'd have listed him there and not carried a 'real' backup OLT on the roster if they weren't positive he could get the job done.

Another Chief that comes to mind is Marcus Spears. He's sort of the opposite, a college tackle, but IIRC he played all over the line when he was here. Point being, I'm not sure making a line transition isn't a little easier than a skill position change, like S to CB or LB. We've seen guys with much less talent than Albert (Tait, for one) move all over the place. So I think it can be done. Whether he'll successfully do it or not, I can't say...

Hammock Parties
05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Does that look like any old bag of bones you just throw at guard, or a tackle who is about to rip your face off so LJ can jam the ball down your esophagus?

You're giving me wood.

Rasputin
05-07-2008, 06:45 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-xVb1qsPCw#

Under Pressure

AZChief
05-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Dave Szott was a DT at Penn State and was moved to Guard...that move worked well.

Mecca
05-07-2008, 07:46 PM
All 32 teams had Albert listed as a tackle on their boards so...

He just got to play at guard due to standing next to other 1st round picks, Eugene Monroe could easily solidify himself as a top 15 pick next year.

ChiefsCountry
05-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I have no doubt that Albert can easily convert to LT.

He's athletic and quick, moves well in space, and has "Dancer's feet".

My money says he, along with Chris Williams, will be the best LT from this draft.

Welll you have been saying this long before the so called experts did. Give you props for that.

Brock
05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Will Shields played a game at left tackle and did well enough I thought they should have just left him there. So, who knows...

milkman
05-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Should have made this a public poll.

beach tribe
05-07-2008, 09:14 PM
2009 season he will be top 5. EVERYONE (that matters) thinks he's got the goods.

cdcox
05-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm hopeful of a successful transition to LT. I'm really happy with the pick even if we only got a really good G out of the pick, it still wouldn't be a complete bust. Low risk - high reward. That's a win.

DJ_is_the_realdeal
05-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Please dont compare Albert to Warfield. I think Warfield got screwed in that he had to change positions but Toast was not ready to become a cornerback. I hated those years it seemed like we tried to convert every saftey to a corner. If Albert isnt good enough to be a tackle we will have one hell of a guard. I think this line is going to be much improve. Wade Smith at center was a good pickup. It cant get any worse.

keg in kc
05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
It cant get any worse.Careful.

That's what we said a year ago. Jordan Black was addition by subtraction.

ChiefRon
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Anyone else catch the interview with Bill Kuharich the other day on Sirius? He said if he were coaching, he'd start Albert at RT, but he thinks the coaching staff is going to start him at LT.

He also said if Dorsey had not slipped, and they could not have traded down, they would have picked Albert at 5.

That tells me they plan on him being LT.

B_Ambuehl
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Who cares? There's no doubt he can dominate at guard so if he doesn't work out at tackle put him at guard. Leonard Davis was a bust at tackle but has anyone watched him play guard? The guy dominates like Larry Allen.

Nightfyre
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Where is the obligatory Gaz doesn't crack until pressure option?

Pitt Gorilla
05-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I think he'll be a LT.

Also, I think Bigfoot was a pretty solid FB.

sedated
05-08-2008, 03:10 PM
EVERYONE (that matters) thinks he's got the goods.

you can say that about 95% of the guys ever drafted in the top 5

Tribal Warfare
05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
? The guy dominates like Larry Allen.

I pointed that out immediately when he hit FA the other year.

Garcia Bronco
05-08-2008, 03:57 PM
This is no means translates to the NFL, but our 5th round DT would line up across him on certain plays in college and own him. In fact, all these UVA linemen are head scratchers to me because the Hokies beat the crap out of them in the trenches every year.

Hammock Parties
05-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Anyone else catch the interview with Bill Kuharich the other day on Sirius? He said if he were coaching, he'd start Albert at RT, but he thinks the coaching staff is going to start him at LT.

That's what Herm said, too. He doesn't want a rookie RT lining up next to an inexperienced RG. He'd rather have Albert next to Waters to help him out.

Tribal Warfare
05-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Losers:

William Bartee – Safety to CB
Kris Wilson – TE to FB
Boomer Grigsby – LB to FB
Kendrell Bell – 3-4 MLB to 4-3 OLB

Who am I forgetting?

Will Svitek and Kris Wilson could be included in the Loser category, or the jury's still out could be pinned too

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't, and this is one of the main reasons I considered our first day iffy.

I have absolutely zero evidence that Albert will make it as a left tackle in this league, much less a Pro Bowl LT (which you're wanting when you trade up to #15). I think it was not just one but two picks wasted (we threw a 5th rounder in to get it), for something that's completely theoretical that hasn't proven itself whatsoever on the field.

I go by on-field production more than anything, and Albert could very well be an impressive RT, and could definitely be a great OG. But LT faces the most impressive array of defensive talent in the league -- incredibly athletic DEs, fast & elusive DEs, DEs strong as bulls with the intensity to match. And bringing in a completely and utterly raw and unproven OG to play the position for basically the first time in his life spells disaster to me.

Hammock Parties
05-08-2008, 04:47 PM
bringing in a completely and utterly raw and unproven OG to play the position for basically the first time in his life spells disaster to me.

Albert played left tackle for a few games at UVA.

He would have been there regardless if D'Brickashaw Ferguson hadn't been so good.

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Albert played left tackle for a few games at UVA.

He would have been there regardless if D'Brickashaw Ferguson hadn't been so good.
Nevertheless, he didn't play there.

We traded up to get a player whose natural position isn't worth the #15 overall, to play a position he's practically never played before. We've essentially bought ourselves a complete project who can't play LT on day one, and may not play LT for god knows how long, if at all. Much less actually be good at it.

Hammock Parties
05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Nevertheless, he didn't play there.

We traded up to get a player whose natural position isn't worth the #15 overall, to play a position he's practically never played before. We've essentially bought ourselves a complete project who can't play LT on day one, and may not play LT for god knows how long, if at all. Much less actually be good at it.

I don't see him as a complete project. He has the natural athleticism to play left tackle. This isn't Jordan Black pt. 2.

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't see him as a complete project. He has the natural athleticism to play left tackle. This isn't Jordan Black pt. 2.
But he's got virtually no experience playing the position, and it's a pretty big change from guard to tackle. He's not used to the wider lanes, he's not used to the more creative attacks that OTs are subject to, he's not used to tackle techniques which are different, he's not used to blocking on the edge, he's not used to DEs as opposed to DTs.

Not to mention he's not even used to the difficult transition from the NCAA to the NFL.

We start him at LT on the first day, and there's a 90% chance we're setting him up to fail. It's just too much, he's got way too much to learn. He is a total project.

Adept Havelock
05-08-2008, 05:08 PM
HE'S DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEDDDDD!

Hammock Parties
05-08-2008, 05:09 PM
But he's got virtually no experience playing the position

Newsflash: No rookie has experience playing an NFL position.

and it's a pretty big change from guard to tackle. He's not used to the wider lanes, he's not used to the more creative attacks that OTs are subject to, he's not used to tackle techniques which are different, he's not used to blocking on the edge, he's not used to DEs as opposed to DTs.So? It's not like we're counting on him as a piece of the Super Bowl puzzle this year. He'll learn.

We start him at LT on the first day, and there's a 90% chance we're setting him up to fail. Bullshit. You start him anywhere else you're setting him up to fail. Stick him at left tackle from day one and let him sink or swim. If he sinks, he'll still be a kickass guard.

He is a total project.Guys you draft on the second day are total projects. Not this guy. The Chiefs thought of him so highly they had him rated as the no. 2 lineman in the entire draft. That speaks volumes.

Do you REALLY feel this way or are you just being negative?

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Newsflash: No rookie has experience playing an NFL position.
That's not what I was saying and you know it. I am completely unimpressed.

So? It's not like we're counting on him as a piece of the Super Bowl puzzle this year. He'll learn.
Oh, he better learn. Because if he doesn't, you just used up two Draft picks (one of them a 1st) on a RT or, even worse, an OG. That 5th we traded for him could have picked up an OG.

He better learn. He better be a damn road scholar.

Bullshit. You start him anywhere else you're setting him up to fail. Stick him at left tackle from day one and let him sink or swim. If he sinks, he'll still be a kickass guard.
The guy needs to ramp up to the position, now that we've drafted him. My dream scenario would be Albert emerging as a stud at LT.

The most realistic situation is Albert starting off inside or at RT, with McIntosh holding the position down until we're out of the playoff picture or until injury.

Guys you draft on the second day are total projects. Not this guy. The Chiefs thought of him so highly they had him rated as the no. 2 lineman in the entire draft. That speaks volumes.
That actually doesn't say anything. The two top rated corners in this Draft were projects. Flacco was the #2 QB, and he's a project. etc etc

Do you REALLY feel this way or are you just being negative?
I don't know, GOATSE, you tell me. Do I have a record of being overtly negative so I can lay some cheap insults on the Chiefs? What do you think?

I've suffered through a couple iffy years and I've accumulated nearly 10,000 posts supporting this team. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.

KurtCobain
05-08-2008, 05:53 PM
**** the raiders!

Gallery was a bust!

Hammock Parties
05-08-2008, 05:53 PM
That's not what I was saying and you know it. I am completely unimpressed.

That's what's relevant though. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was a completely dominant left tackle in college. Guess how many sacks he gave up last year? College experience at your position isn't the be-all, end-all in determining your worth as an NFL player.

Example: Brian Urlacher. Safety in college. Total STUD MLB in the pros.

Oh, he better learn. Because if he doesn't, you just used up two Draft picks (one of them a 1st) on a RT or, even worse, an OG. That 5th we traded for him could have picked up an OG.

He better learn. He better be a damn road scholar.Well, DUH. That's why the Chiefs drafted him. They think highly of his abilities as a left tackle.

And it's "Rhodes" Scholar. :D

The most realistic situation is Albert starting off inside or at RT, with McIntosh holding the position down until we're out of the playoff picture or until injury.Depends on who you believe. Herm thinks he's going to start at LT. We're not going to the playoffs so starting Albert anywhere but left tackle makes little sense.

That actually doesn't say anything. The two top rated corners in this Draft were projects. Flacco was the #2 QB, and he's a project. etc etcBollocks. Brandon Flowers isn't a project. And all quarterbacks are projects. Guys like Will Svitek and William Bartee are projects.

I don't know, GOATSE, you tell me. Do I have a record of being overtly negative so I can lay some cheap insults on the Chiefs? What do you think?

I've suffered through a couple iffy years and I've accumulated nearly 10,000 posts supporting this team. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.Sorry, I just feel like you're trying to temper our enthusiasm for the draft. Albert is going to be a TOTAL STUD MONKEY BEAST ****ER DEMON BEAR of a left tackle. You'll see. :evil:

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 06:01 PM
That's what's relevant though. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was a completely dominant left tackle in college. Guess how many sacks he gave up last year? College experience at your position isn't the be-all, end-all in determining your worth as an NFL player.

Example: Brian Urlacher. Safety in college. Total STUD MLB in the pros.
I think we can agree those are exceptions to the rules. The list of players who transfered to a completely different position in the NFL like Urlacher is extremely short. I'm not ready, nor have I ever been ready, to put Albert in that category. How can you ever expect someone to pull that off?

I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment here.

Well, DUH. That's why the Chiefs drafted him. They think highly of his abilities as a left tackle.

Thanks for the correction.

That the Chiefs think highly of him isn't enough for me to think highly of him. You defer to the front office a lot easier than I do, which happens when you're so closely involved with them.
Depends on who you believe. Herm thinks he's going to start at LT. We're not going to the playoffs so starting Albert anywhere but left tackle makes little sense.
I'll say this.

If Albert proves me wrong and either starts out there, or even better, impresses me at LT, I will happily eat as much crow as my stomach can tolerate.

Bollocks. Brandon Flowers isn't a project. And all quarterbacks are projects. Guys like Will Svitek and William Bartee are projects.
I was referring to DRC and the kid from Troy. I agree that Flowers is not a project.

We have very different opinions on what constitutes a project.

Sorry, I just feel like you're trying to temper our enthusiasm for the draft. Albert is going to be a TOTAL STUD MONKEY BEAST ****ER DEMON BEAR of a left tackle. You'll see. :evil:
I really hope so.

Hammock Parties
05-08-2008, 06:04 PM
That the Chiefs think highly of him isn't enough for me to think highly of him. You defer to the front office a lot easier than I do, which happens when you're so closely involved with them.I trust Herm because of his history with first rounders. It has nothing to do with how close I am to the organization. Plus, the fact the Eagles wanted Albert so badly is a VERY good sign.

Tell you what...let's make a sig bet. If Albert gives up more than 7.5 sacks (Big Apple's number from last season), you win. Less, I win. Whaddya say? :D

rad
05-08-2008, 06:04 PM
He better learn. He better be a damn road scholar.

I think it's Rhodes Scholar, just for next time......good points

(not tryin ta be tha spellcheck guru...)

rad
05-08-2008, 06:09 PM

DOH!

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I trust Herm because of his history with first rounders. It has nothing to do with how close I am to the organization. Plus, the fact the Eagles wanted Albert so badly is a VERY good sign.

Tell you what...let's make a sig bet. If Albert gives up more than 7.5 sacks (Big Apple's number from last season), you win. Less, I win. Whaddya say? :D
Hey, I'm down for a bet, but let's change the terms.

If Albert's starting at LT in New England, you win. I really don't think he'll be starting there and you really seem to think he will, so I can hang my hat on that.

If Albert starts at LT from day one, I have no doubt that he'll give up around 10 sacks. Not because he's lousy, he still might be very good, but he'll need a year or two to get his technique under him. I wouldn't consider that a fair bet.

Hammock Parties
05-08-2008, 06:14 PM
If Albert's starting at LT in New England, you win. I really don't think he'll be starting there and you really seem to think he will, so I can hang my hat on that.

I don't like that at all. Take the other one or leave it. I consider it fair. :harumph:

Direckshun
05-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm going to have to leave it, mainly because I don't care how many sacks Albert gives up his first year. I just want him to learn the position.

ChiefRon
05-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I trust Herm because of his history with first rounders. It has nothing to do with how close I am to the organization. Plus, the fact the Eagles wanted Albert so badly is a VERY good sign.

It wasn't just the Eagles; he rose to the upper parts of a lot of draft boards.

Check out Gil Brandt's assessment on nfl.com:

Albert has the versatility to play guard or tackle in the NFL. He finishes blocks down the field and in space. He started 37 games (35 games at left guard, two at left tackle) for Virginia over three years. Has great overall athletic ability for a big man and could develop into the best offensive lineman in the draft.

I don't see this as a "project" pick.

Chiefshrink
05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
We are in rebuilding mode. I see no reason not to start him at LT now. If he can't adjust to Jared Allen in training camp(i.e. speed of the game KC-MN TC scrimmages) then move him back to RG or RT. Does us no good to wait,the sooner we know the better so we can adjust and prepare for the future. Jared will be a good test for Brandon that is for sure.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Most teams in the NFL had Albert pegged as a left tackle, so it wasn't just the chiefs saying "hey lets turn this guard into a left tackle". he has the athletic ability and talent to man the position down for a decade.

Chiefnj2
05-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Albert gave up 5.5 sacks this last season as a guard. He's going to give up a hell of lot more than that at LT if he gets the starting nod. I'm with Direckshun. No way the kid starts out the year at LOT in week one against the Pats.

Coach
04-28-2009, 07:32 AM
I think I'm gonna go with "yes" on this category that he'll make it just fine as a LT in this league. ;)

Ronnie Cruz
04-28-2009, 08:01 AM
4.5 Sacks. Excellent rookie season. The one-game injury seemed to taint his season a little bit, but 4.5 sacks in 15 games is pretty amazing.

Brock
04-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Albert gave up 5.5 sacks this last season as a guard. He's going to give up a hell of lot more than that at LT if he gets the starting nod. I'm with Direckshun. No way the kid starts out the year at LOT in week one against the Pats.

ORLY?

wild1
04-28-2009, 08:38 AM
4.5 Sacks. Excellent rookie season. The one-game injury seemed to taint his season a little bit, but 4.5 sacks in 15 games is pretty amazing.

the more amazing thing is that he did this without being called for holding the entire season.

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
the more amazing thing is that he did this without being called for holding the entire season.

And he missed preseason/TC time with an injury.

I don't know how anybody could look at him now and not think we've got one of the better young LT's in the league.

Buehler445
04-28-2009, 08:49 AM

I don't know how anybody could look at him now and not think we've got one of the better young LG's in the league.

Fixed

[/sarcasm]
Posted via Mobile Device

bdeg
04-28-2009, 08:55 AM

I don't know how anybody could look at him now and not think we've got one of the better young LT's in the league.
I'd say he's top 3(long term)

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Fixed

[/sarcasm]
Posted via Mobile Device

That's neg rep!

vailpass
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
He's no Ryan Clady but he looks to be serviceable.

RippedmyFlesh
04-28-2009, 10:12 AM

Without missing any time and making the transition would have been great but under the circumstances you pointed out makes it fantastic.
Albert is the best player we picked last year.

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
He's no Ryan Clady but he looks to be serviceable.

Um, yeah.

vailpass
04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Um, yeah.

Have you seen ESPNs re-draft of 2008 where they go back and select who should have been in the top 10 picks based on performance?
Clady and Eddy Royal are both in. Like him or not as a football fan you have to know Clady is the goods.

EyePod
04-28-2009, 10:26 AM

LOL YOU WERE WRONG!

EyePod
04-28-2009, 10:28 AM

I'd say it's pretty great for a Rookie, but I want to see better numbers next season. Also, how many of these sacks were caused by Damon Huard not doing anything of significance to try and avoid being sacked. I mean, if anyone got past the line 'o scrimmage he'd just go in the fetal position, and both Thigpen and Cassel are pretty mobile and should continue to help Albert not give up sacks.

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Have you seen ESPNs re-draft of 2008 where they go back and select who should have been in the top 10 picks based on performance?
Clady and Eddy Royal are both in. Like him or not as a football fan you have to know Clady is the goods.

I know Clady is a polished LT that's all-finesse and I know that the Broncos blocking scheme was perfectly-suited to emphasize his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

And I know I'm perfectly find with Albert and wouldn't trade him for Clady for any reason.

vailpass
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I know Clady is a polished LT that's all-finesse and I know that the Broncos blocking scheme was perfectly-suited to emphasize his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

And I know I'm perfectly find with Albert and wouldn't trade him for Clady for any reason.

.5 sacks as a starter from day one in your rookie year is all finesse?
Regardless, we're both happy with what we have. Good deal.

Buehler445
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
That's neg rep!

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

I'm with you though. I would have went on a killing spree if we had moved him.
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
.5 sacks as a starter from day one in your rookie year is all finesse?
Regardless, we're both happy with what we have. Good deal.

Yep.

Clady is smart and has impeccable technique. He lacks lower body strength.

The Denver offense (at least until now) relied on technique rather than strength.

I view Albert as a guy that has a lower ceiling than Clady but could excel in several different situations.

Clady on the other hand has a higher ceiling IF he's in the right offense, but a much lower floor, if he's not in the right offense.

Coogs
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM

I have dislocated an elbow before. And I have to tell you I was absolutely amazed to see Albert back on the field at all last season. To only allow 4.5 sacks after missing pre-season and following an injury of that type... the guy is a keeper.

BigRock
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I view Albert as a guy that has a lower ceiling than Clady but could excel in several different situations.

I would disagree that Albert's ceiling is lower than Clady's. I think Albert's ceiling is as high as it gets.

The guy stepped in Week 1 into a brand-new position, without the benefit of training camp, without the benefit of the preseason, and looked like he'd been playing left tackle all his life. It's really nothing short of amazing.

That his level of play was merely "fantastic" and not quite "exceptional" like Clady's, a 2 year starter at LT in college who actually did have training camp and the preseason to help him prepare, should be of no concern to anyone.

If Albert played that well as a rookie with the circumstances he faced, there's no telling how great he can be. Imagine him in a few years, once he has the position down and is just honing his technique. Why, it brings a rush of blood to one's southern region.

Jethopper
04-28-2009, 12:42 PM

You must have missed the "who the lions should draft" debate between Todd McShay and Mel Kiper. Kiper said "Ryan Clady was not an elite tackle last year" and guess what McShay didn't disagree. I'm sorry if you truely believe he is great, but this looks like classic homeristic behavior.

Clady < Albert

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=142073