PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs want to make better decisions on kickers

royr17
05-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Chiefs want to make better decisions on kickers

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs’ strategy for solving their kicking troubles was a simple one. Too simple, as it turned out.

Their solution was to sign the best available free-agent kicker, Seattle’s Josh Brown. They had no backup plan.

So when Brown instead signed with the Rams in the opening days of free agency, the Chiefs were left at kicker with journeymen Nick Novak and Billy Cundiff, an undrafted rookie in North Carolina’s Connor Barth and plenty of continuing unease over the situation.

“We’ll have to decide at the end of the day if one of these three guys is the guy or do we have to go out and get one of those old guys who doesn’t want to come to training camp?” coach Herm Edwards said. “Hopefully we don’t have to do that, but if we have to, we’ll do it.”

The “old guys” Edwards referred to include John Carney, who kicked for the Chiefs toward the end of last season, and former Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt, who worked out for them early in the spring. Both are free agents.

Whatever the Chiefs do, they can only hope that their decision-making when it comes to kickers is better than it was last season, when they made one wrong choice after another. They erred in drafting Justin Medlock instead of Mason Crosby, in keeping Medlock instead of Lawrence Tynes, and in signing Dave Rayner instead of several other candidates, Novak included.

Novak and Cundiff are already kicking during informal workouts. Barth will join them when offseason practice begins in two weeks.

The Chiefs are encouraged with the early results, but there’s plenty of time for that to change.

“I called them both when we first signed them and told them that from the day they get here, there’s going to be competition,” special-teams coach Mike Priefer said. “I think they’ve each had one poor day. Other than that, they’ve both kicked very well. We’ve been kicking outside most of the time. It’s been cold, wet, windy. It’s Kansas City. If you can kick here, you can kick anywhere.”

Cundiff kicked for five seasons with Dallas and New Orleans, Novak for parts of two with Washington and Arizona. Each has been released numerous times, but that’s not unusual for a young kicker trying to establish himself.

“I’m not discouraged at all,” Novak said. “I feel like I’m getting better every year, especially on kickoffs.

“I’d say it’s been very close between us so far. Both of us should play in the league next year. The Chiefs either way will have a good kicker.”

The Chiefs came close to signing Novak early last year when they dumped Medlock. They opted instead for Rayner, who got off to a strong start but proved to be erratic as a field-goal kicker.

“We just felt (Rayner) had better potential,” Edwards said. “He had a strong leg, could kick off into the end zone. He came out of the chute firing. He was the special-teams player of the week. We thought we were going down the right road.”

Barth’s credentials at North Carolina, where he made 76 percent of his field-goal tries, were impressive enough for the Chiefs to sign him after the draft. It’s difficult to take seriously the roster chances of any rookie kicker in Kansas City because of last year’s experience with Medlock.

“I thought he should have been drafted,” Priefer said. “He was good enough to get drafted. He’s got some mental toughness to him. He had an excellent career at North Carolina. They didn’t score a lot of points down there, so most of his kicks were huge kicks for his team.”

The availability of Carney and Vanderjagt looms over everything. Only when the Chiefs signed the proven veteran Carney late last season did their kicking situation stabilize.

“Both Nick and I are still here, and right now that’s the only thing that matters,” said Cundiff, who kicked for the Saints in 2006 and went to camp last year with the Falcons. “You can’t worry about anything else or whether they’re going to bring anyone else in to kick.

“The way we look at it, it doesn’t matter what anybody else does as long as we perform up to the level of the standards we’ve set for ourselves.”

•LOCALS DON’T GET CALL: The Chiefs planned to sign nine rookies from their recent tryout camp, but two local favorites, Missouri safety Pig Brown and Kansas defensive lineman James McClinton, were not among them.

They did offer a contract to another Big 12 player, Oklahoma State running back Dantrell Savage.

The Chiefs conducted their rookie camp last weekend with college free agents and dozens of tryout candidates but none of their 12 draft picks. Edwards said that unorthodox move allowed them to get a better look at all the players trying out.

“It was a good way to go,” Edwards said. “It evened the playing field. We were laughing after the first practice. I went up to Chan (Gailey) and asked him, ‘Can you imagine if (Glenn) Dorsey was here?’ The offense wouldn’t have gotten a play off, literally. It wouldn’t have been fair. There’s a reason some guys get drafted and some guys don’t get drafted.”

KcMizzou
05-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Chiefs want to make better decisions on kickers

I should hope...

royr17
05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I should hope...

Yea really. I wished they would've signed the Louisville kicker Art Carmody, he's pretty good and in college was called Art-O-Matic standing for Automatic.

stlchiefs
05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
No Pig Brown for the Mizzou fans.

T-post Tom
05-08-2008, 11:33 PM
So what happened to Vanderjagt? He used to be the shit... Age? Per Wikipedia: "He was once the most accurate field goal kicker in NFL history (229 of 265, 86.4% as of November 20, 2006)."

Tribal Warfare
05-08-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/612235.html

Nightfyre
05-08-2008, 11:45 PM
This is another "Teicher states the obvious" article, I see.

teedubya
05-08-2008, 11:47 PM
No shit, he wants to make a good decision on kickers. The Kicker is Herm's best Offensive weapon.

Mecca
05-08-2008, 11:50 PM
It amuses me when they make comments like "after last year how can they go with a rookie kicker"

People still show impatience even in rebuilding, if you think the kid has it you go with him, Vinatieri was very average his first year in the league....actually his first couple of years.

05-08-2008, 11:52 PM
we don't need a kicker. We have a punter.

Wilson8
05-09-2008, 06:36 AM
I like the fact that the Chiefs aren’t handing the job to one guy and there will be competition at the position. Rick Gosselin had Conner Barth as one of the top kickers coming out of college this year.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/041908dnsponfldraftst.2cd004c.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/draft/gosselin_rankings.html

DaKCMan AP
05-09-2008, 06:54 AM
“It was a good way to go,” Edwards said. “It evened the playing field. We were laughing after the first practice. I went up to Chan (Gailey) and asked him, ‘Can you imagine if (Glenn) Dorsey was here?’ The offense wouldn’t have gotten a play off, literally. It wouldn’t have been fair. There’s a reason some guys get drafted and some guys don’t get drafted."

LMAO

Chief Chief
Yea really. I wished they would've signed the Louisville kicker Art Carmody, he's pretty good and in college was called Art-O-Matic standing for Automatic.

Where is he now?

Chief Chief
So what happened to Vanderjagt? He used to be the shit... Age? Per Wikipedia: "He was once the most accurate field goal kicker in NFL history (229 of 265, 86.4% as of November 20, 2006)."

Operative word there: "...was..."

Kylo Ren
05-09-2008, 07:00 AM
"It’s difficult to take seriously the roster chances of any rookie kicker in Kansas City because of last year’s experience with Medlock."

For me, I hope they go with the rookie, Connar Barth. We need to find a kicker for the next 10 years. And, I'm sure the young guy has a stronger leg for kick offs than the old guys.

rad
05-09-2008, 07:28 AM
That was way too much article to be focusing on a kicker.

They're not even real people. You could make a machine to kick field goals if the league allowed it.

royr17
05-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Where is he now?

I dont know where he is now.

Wilson8
05-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Art Carmody still has not signed with an NFL team so it makes you think he is not real good at least in NFL minds.

Chief Faithful
05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Chiefs Faithful wants the Chiefs to make better decisions on kickers. :thumb:

royr17
05-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Art Carmody still has not signed with an NFL team so it makes you think he is not real good at least in NFL minds.

Well the only problem he has is that he doesnt have a really strong leg but he is like a 85 % field goal kicker.

StcChief
05-09-2008, 08:22 AM
no matter who it is, the FF kicker value will be high since Herm is intent on FGs whenever possible.

Rain Man
05-09-2008, 08:41 AM

Thanks for explaining that. I was thinking that maybe he really like Etch-A-Sketches.

Rain Man
05-09-2008, 08:42 AM
no matter who it is, the FF kicker value will be high since Herm is intent on FGs whenever possible.

I think those last two words are the flaw in your plan.

MVChiefFan
05-09-2008, 09:15 AM
“It was a good way to go,” Edwards said. “It evened the playing field. We were laughing after the first practice. I went up to Chan (Gailey) and asked him, ‘Can you imagine if (Glenn) Dorsey was here?’ The offense wouldn’t have gotten a play off, literally. It wouldn’t have been fair. There’s a reason some guys get drafted and some guys don’t get drafted.”

:drool:

beach tribe
05-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Operative word there: "...was..."

I could be mistaken, but I believe he still is the most accurate ever.

blueballs
05-09-2008, 10:27 AM
looks like Priefer bought whatever pictures
Erick HIcks had of Peterson

blueballs
05-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks for explaining that. I was thinking that maybe he really like Etch-A-Sketches.

even Rain Man

Anyong Bluth
05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

They would have made a good decision if they drafted Crosby. I followed him at CU, and knew he'd be a money kicker. HE would have been actually worth the fourth. when we didn't take him over medlock i was sitting there very puzzled.

el borracho
05-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Why the heck haven't we signed a bunch of OFA kickers so they can compete for the job in camp and preseason? Seriously, it's not a difficult thing to science out; just bring in like 4 undrafted kickers and keep the best one.

Direckshun
05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm enthralled they offered a contract to Savage. I wanted them to Draft him.

He'll make the practice squad, at LEAST. Hell he might even push Kolby Smith for #3 duties.

Sure-Oz
05-09-2008, 11:14 AM
SUcks about Pig, i was hoping they'd try to keep him at IR or something

suds79
05-09-2008, 11:17 AM
The RB situation might end up being too full for him but I like the fact that we signed Savage.

Dude is quick.

StcChief
05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I think those last two words are the flaw in your plan.The Bears,Chiefs,Ravens,Tampa Bay FG kickers have been money over the years....

Chiefs recently not so much.

teedubya
05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

First one of those that i have seen. Cocina, you sir, are a trailblazer!

Direckshun
05-09-2008, 12:46 PM
The RB situation might end up being too full for him but I like the fact that we signed Savage.

Dude is quick.
Hey, that's what we said last year and three RBs got hurt.

You can never have too many. If we're smart, Savage is on the practice squad.

Anyong Bluth
05-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Why the heck haven't we signed a bunch of OFA kickers so they can compete for the job in camp and preseason? Seriously, it's not a difficult thing to science out; just bring in like 4 undrafted kickers and keep the best one.

All part of Herm's plan to ensure that if we should end up in a few tight games that we have no business winning based upon preseason projections, that we won't screw it up and get some cheap, meaningless win- which could really damage our chances for repeating as Super Draft Champions if we fall out of the top 5 picks for next year.

In all seriousness, just like the Jared Allen trade netted us more draft choices, and the ability to move around with a bit more flexibility, I'd be totally willing to part with an older / solid veteran if we can stock up on more picks for next year. I don't think we need 13 picks- but we didn't really draft 13 guys, it just allowed us to move around for value, and when you've got early picks in every round, you can really get a lot more value.

For example- a guy like Waters. Now, ideally I'd like to keep the guy, of course, but he has never been shy about his intentions of not playing for many more years. If you can find a team in need or want of him that is going to give up high value draft compensation- take the trade. Truth is you probably won't. But if you have guys that only have another 2-4 years before their play is probably going to drop off, this team should listen to any offers.

Some may see TG as a prime guy that this would fit the mold. I don't know how much value you'll get out of him due to his age, and I'm of the impression that he could easily play another 5 years with not a lot of drop off. He just came off his 2nd most productive season, and like Sharpe, might be one of those guys that can play well past the norm for when most guys drop off. You know if this team does start putting together a solid squad to make a run in about 3 years and Tony is still around, he'll def. come back to give it a shot at getting a ring.

Teh Douch3 Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Teh Douch3 http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=4742886#post4742886)
First one of those that i have seen. Cocina, you sir, are a trailblazer!
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Yeah, using Opera from my phone. Works pretty well. Been doing it for months. It used to just load the normal CP, but a few months ago the mobile version started popping up, and I didn't change a thing. I like the Blue / Yellow better. It used to pop up with Pink / Green color scheme- which was pretty high contrast- so easy to read, but the new color setup is a bit more pleasing.

And yes, a TrailBlazer- or at least a fan of them. Growing up in KC, and not having an NBA team, I became a Portland fan back in the days of Clyde the Glide, Jerome Kersey, Porter, Duckworth, Cliff Robinson, Strickland, Buck Williams. Got tough to watch once they became the JailBlazers at the end of the 90's and had to blow the team up, but I will to this day swear that 4th quarter game 7 comeback by the Lakers in the Western Conf. Finals was the biggest jobbing I've seen- refs had the fix in. Luckily, they've righted the ship, thanks to KU's own Kevin Pritchard, whose their GM, and has amassed some ridiculous talent. Give them about 2 years and they'll be ridiculously good, even in the vastly superior West.

bowener
05-09-2008, 03:02 PM

I dont know if this should make me feel good about dorsey, or terrible about the guys we bring in for tryouts.

el borracho
05-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I dont know if this should make me feel good about dorsey, or terrible about the guys we bring in for tryouts.

Start feeling terrible now- you will be better prepared for the 2008 season.