PDA

View Full Version : The 24-hour search experiment

DaFace
05-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm just curious to see how our crippled search performs after a change I made. I know people want to have access to the "find all posts by this user" types of features, so I'm turning it on for the next 24 hours. After that, I'll see how the server did and make a decision about whether to leave it on or turn it back off until Kyle gets a chance to fix it.

I'm also adding a menu to the top called "Football Only." It's an experiment in progress that uses the prefix icons to just show football threads (if that's your thing). Let me know if you like it or if it's just another useless thing around here. If people like it, and if it doesn't cause any other issues, I could potentially create a menu that has a variety of set filter sets that people might like to use like "no baseball" for example.

Unfortunately, it works through the search feature too, so if I have to turn it back off, that link will disappear.

Bugeater
05-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I did a couple searches, the first one took 3.31 seconds, and the second one took 19.48 seconds. :shrug:

DaFace
05-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I did a couple searches, the first one took 3.31 seconds, and the second one took 19.48 seconds. :shrug:

Yeah, it's still broken. You'll also find that it doesn't search everything completely. I'm mostly watching from the server side. I still wouldn't recommend using the true search very often.

The main thing is that you can now search for all posts or threads for a user, use the "New Posts" link in the menu to see threads you haven't read, and use the "Football Only" link in the menu.

Bugeater
05-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I just thought the discrepancy between the two was odd. It will be nice to have the find all posts/threads feature back, it will make stalking people much easier.

milkman
05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
The football only thing is just pathetic.

It doesn't separate the forum, it eliminates the dumbassery altogether, and that ain't the fix any of us want.

DaFace
05-10-2008, 12:42 PM
The football only thing is just pathetic.

It doesn't separate the forum, it eliminates the dumbassery altogether, and that ain't the fix any of us want.

How is that any different from pressing a link to a different forum where dumbassery isn't allowed?

You don't have to press it. :shrug:

AustinChief
05-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Now that draft talk is dying down, I will take some time to work on this. The server will likely need to be offline for a day or so...

BigMeatballDave
05-10-2008, 01:31 PM
The server will likely need to be offline for a day or so...:eek: Blasphemy.

milkman
05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
How is that any different from pressing a link to a different forum where dumbassery isn't allowed?

You don't have to press it. :shrug:

Because I like the lounge the way it is, and don't care to navigate from football talk only to the lounge and back in much the same way that I have to navigate to draft planet and back now.

And I only clicked on it to check it out.

I won't be doing it again.