PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports USC/Mayo invloved in illegal gifts

kstater
05-11-2008, 01:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3390695

Former USC basketball player O.J. Mayo, a projected lottery pick in this year's NBA draft, received thousands of dollars in cash, clothes and other benefits in apparent violation of NCAA rules while he was still in high school and during his one year in college, a former Mayo associate told ESPN's "Outside the Lines."

Louis Johnson, who was a part of Mayo's inner circle until recently, said Mayo accepted around $30,000 in cash and gifts during the past four years from Rodney Guillory, a 43-year-old Los Angeles event promoter. In addition to cash, the gifts included a flat-screen television for Mayo's dorm room, cell phone service, a hotel room, clothes, meals and airline tickets for Mayo's friends and a relative, according to Johnson, others with knowledge of the gifts and store receipts.

When Mayo was in high school in Ohio and West Virginia, Guillory was receiving monthly payments from the Northern California sports agency Bill Duffy Associates. Johnson said BDA provided Guillory with around $200,000 before Mayo arrived at USC, and that Guillory used most of the money to support his own lifestyle but also gave a portion of it to Mayo.

Forde: USC Should Have Known

On the heels of the Reggie Bush debacle, USC should be crushed by the NCAA, the Pac-10 and its own administration for the latest revelations about O.J. Mayo, writes Pat Forde. Column

In exchange for the payments and gifts, Mayo entered a verbal agreement to allow BDA to represent him when he turned pro, Johnson told "Outside the Lines."

Providing athletes with money or other benefits is a violation, according to NCAA rules. In California, it's a misdemeanor for sports agents and their representatives to provide cash or gifts to student-athletes.

Mayo played one season at USC before declaring for the NBA draft in April. He named BDA's Calvin Andrews his agent.

Johnson also said that Duffy's company helped Guillory purchase a $50,000 Infiniti SUV from a Northern California car dealership co-owned by former USC and San Francisco 49ers defensive back Ronnie Lott and his 49ers teammate, Keena Turner.

After Duffy's company quit funding Guillory last year, Johnson says Guillory gave Mayo the flat-screen television, a hotel room and meals -- and paid for it with a credit card that belongs to a nonprofit organization called "The National Organization of Sickle Cell Prevention and Awareness Foundation." The organization has never been registered as a charitable trust with the California Attorney General's Office. Mary E. Brown, president and CEO of the Sickle Cell Disease Foundation of California, said she had never heard of the foundation for which Guillory charged purchases through.

Johnson provided "Outside the Lines" with receipts and invoices for many of the purchases, including the cell phone service.

More on Mayo

The story of O.J. Mayo, Louis Johnson and Rodney Guillory is a unique and complex one. ESPN's Kelly Naqi has additional details. Story

Johnson said he believes USC officials were unaware that Guillory was providing cash and other benefits to Mayo. He did say that members of the USC coaching staff had regular contact with Guillory.

Guillory was also involved with former USC basketball player Jeff Trepagnier, who was suspended in 2000 for taking illegal benefits (the NCAA ruled that Guillory had purchased airfare for Trepagnier and Fresno State's Tito Maddox).

Mayo, officials at Bill Duffy Associates and officials at USC all declined to be interviewed by "Outside the Lines."

In a statement, Mayo said: "I am focusing on the process of making my dream come true, which is to play professional basketball. I will not allow these allegations to become a distraction to me and my family. I have been through investigations by the NCAA, the Pac Ten and USC before I attended school and during the time I have been here. I have not engaged in any wrongdoing. If these claims were true I would suspect they would have been discovered by one of these organizations."

Of Guillory, Mayo said in his statement: "Rodney has been a positive influence on me as well as a strong African-American male presence in my life. Recently, my mother had the opportunity to spend time with Rodney as well, and has shared her appreciation for the way he has always treated me like I was family when I was so far away from home. I have nothing but respect for Rodney."

Duffy and Andrews said in a statement: "In the competitive environment of our business, these types of unsubstantiated assertions occur every year, particularly at this time. Our mission will continue to focus on the business of our current and prospective clients and let the record of our hard work, adherence to rules and regulations, and client satisfaction, speak for itself."

USC issued a statement, saying: "The NCAA and the Pac-10 reviewed O.J. Mayo's amateur status before and during his enrollment at USC, and did not identify any amateurism violations. Mayo and USC fully cooperated in these investigations. The University investigated and reported a violation involving Mayo's receipt of tickets to a Denver Nuggets game from his friend Carmelo Anthony. Mayo's eligibility was reinstated after he made a charitable contribution in the amount of the value of the tickets."

Johnson told ESPN he didn't get paid, but hoped to profit once Mayo made it to the NBA. He said he fell out of favor with Mayo because Guillory created a strain in the relationship by misrepresenting things Johnson allegedly said about Mayo and, eventually, sabotaging their relationship.

kstater
05-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Excellent article by Pat Forde

In a just world, USC basketball would have something in common with SMU football in the near future.

The death penalty.

It's not going to happen, because NCAA bylaws don't work that way. And besides, they're not likely to ever again disband a program for a year after the smoking crater it left at SMU.

But USC deserves it. The school has so far escaped facing NCAA prosecution for compelling allegations that star tailback Reggie Bush and his family were lavishly compensated by an aspiring agent while playing for the Trojans. Now comes a devastating, thoroughly documented "Outside The Lines" report that goes into stunning detail about the money and gifts star guard O.J. Mayo allegedly received before and during his one season at USC.

All directly beneath USC's chronically blind eyes.

You can plead ignorance once -- and even that was almost impossible to believe, in the case of Bush. Plead it twice? Um, no. USC should be crushed by the NCAA, the Pacific-10 and its own administration.

Especially with a player everyone in Hoopsworld strongly suspected was no amateur before he set foot in Los Angeles. You had to search hard to find a soul who didn't think O.J. Mayo had been prostituted for years as his prep legend grew, starting in seventh grade. (Put it this way: When early Mayo confidant Sonny Vaccaro gets muscled out of the scene, somebody's bringing some serious juice to the table.)

So you take the Bush allegations, add a side of Mayo and ask the question: Has there ever been a more textbook definition of "lack of institutional control"?

If all the allegations stand up, USC athletic director Mike Garrett and the Inspector Clouseaus who comprise his compliance staff must lose their jobs over these serial embarrassments, or the school has no credibility whatsoever. When USC's two highest-profile sports both have star players allegedly on the brazen take from agents, somebody needs to answer for it. A lot of somebodies.

Or USC can take its ignorance and explain it to the NCAA Committee on Infractions, which shouldn't be in much of a mood to listen if the same OTL facts are presented to NCAA investigators as compellingly as they were on national TV and on this Web site Sunday.

[+] Enlarge
OJ Mayo and Tim Floyd

Chris Williams/Icon SMI

How could coach Tim Floyd not have known about the cash and flat-screen TV that OTL reported O.J. Mayo received?

According to the OTL investigation, Mayo received thousands of dollars' worth of clothes. A flat-screen TV for his dorm. Hotel rooms for him and his friends. And receipts for all of them, provided to ESPN by insider-turned-whistle-blower Louis Johnson (whose stories were remarkably consistent and verifiable, according to those who worked on the piece).

But it gets better: The swag allegedly was financed by a man named Rodney Guillory, who previously had gotten former USC guard Jeff Trepagnier in trouble for accepting agent kickbacks. Not only did that fail to get Guillory banned from campus, he also wound up a fixture within the program. Of course, who wouldn't want a 43-year-old scammer hanging around a college freshman?

According to transcripts from OTL's interviews with Johnson, Guillory was sitting in the USC basketball offices when Mayo's signed letter-of-intent rolled off the fax machine. Johnson also said coach Tim Floyd talked frequently with Guillory about Mayo whenever "issues" arose.

In the wake of this, it's hilarious to listen to Floyd's interview on "Pardon The Interruption" before Mayo started his brief career at USC. In a previous episode, Michael Wilbon had arched an eyebrow about taking someone with Mayo's red flags into the program. Floyd's response made Mayo sound like a tragically misunderstood Eagle Scout.

According to Floyd, Mayo was raised by a single mother who didn't have the money to pay a big cell phone bill -- which ostensibly is why Guillory discouraged Floyd from calling him during his recruitment. Floyd also said the kid "doesn't have anything" materially.

Despite that, the USC coach apparently never got around to wondering how the poor child from Huntington, W.Va., could afford the expensive clothes on his back or the expensive shoes on his feet. How about the flat-screen TV in his dorm? That never set off an alarm? If the answer is that USC coaches or compliance workers never set foot in Mayo's dorm room … why the hell not?

When you recruit someone radioactive, you better have everything checked down to the smallest detail. Or else your program turns into Three Mile Island.

Johnson told ESPN that he believes USC did not know about any of the kickbacks Mayo allegedly received. Why?

More on Mayo

The story of O.J. Mayo, Louis Johnson and Rodney Guillory is a unique and complex one. ESPN's Kelly Naqi has additional details. Story

"I think after the Reggie Bush fiasco that they would have definitely taken steps to prevent this type of thing from happening again," Johnson said.

Except they apparently didn't. Which is astonishing. And damning.

(However, it would not qualify as "repeat violator" status with the NCAA. The school has not been penalized -- or even charged -- in the Bush affair, and until that happens, USC would not fall under the repeat violator umbrella. That's why it couldn't get the death penalty. But a postseason ban would seem to be both plausible and justifiable.)

You have to assume USC simply didn't want to know. Didn't want to know the extent to which runners already had set their hooks into their highest-profile basketball recruit ever. The Trojans knew they were in this deal for one year before Mayo turned pro, and they probably just averted their gaze, hoping nothing blew up and the victories would pile up.

It's a scenario playing out right now on many other campuses nationwide, guaranteed. Agents and their runners are identifying who can play as early as college scouts are, and they're commencing the jockeying for position. And we all know what wins most of those turf wars: money and favors. Most topflight young basketball players have at least been offered plenty before college, even if they haven't accepted it.

It's a problem the NCAA desperately needs to get a grip on if college basketball is going to maintain even a hint of a legitimate relationship to higher education. The sport's repeatedly pilloried reputation took another big hit with this revelation, but perhaps it will spur other Louis Johnsons to tell the truth about what's going on in college hoops and youth basketball.

And as for USC?

Fight on.

And deny on.

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at ESPN4D@aol.com.

88TG88
05-11-2008, 02:12 PM
USC issued a statement, saying: "The NCAA and the Pac-10 reviewed O.J. Mayo's amateur status before and during his enrollment at USC, and did not identify any amateurism violations. Mayo and USC fully cooperated in these investigations. The University investigated and reported a violation involving Mayo's receipt of tickets to a Denver Nuggets game from his friend Carmelo Anthony. Mayo's eligibility was reinstated after he made a charitable contribution in the amount of the value of the tickets."
end of story

ISUJeff
05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Yet Lucca Staiger had to sit out his entire freshmen year at Iowa State because someone else on his German team was paid a few hundred dollars a month. Double standard?
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7446340

Skip Towne
05-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Where's Mecca?

GoHuge
05-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Taking him was just stupid. If anybody didn't think this was going to end up happening with him your criminally ignorant. It's about time USC gets nailed.

kcxiv
05-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Eh, i think they all do it, some people just get caught.

smittysbar
05-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Show me the money

kcxiv
05-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Show me the money

Isnt that the ****ing truth, They get this kids who grew up very very poor, and you flash 30 grand in their face, wtf do people think they are going to do, and how the **** can you blame them.

smittysbar
05-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Isnt that the ****ing truth, They get this kids who grew up very very poor, and you flash 30 grand in their face, wtf do people think they are going to do, and how the **** can you blame them.

You can't

Chiefmanwillcatch
05-11-2008, 03:40 PM
That USC/ISU coach really doesn't care anymore.

BigVE
05-11-2008, 03:43 PM
When a stud blue chipper all of a sudden goes to a school it always appears that there must have been something crooked going on. I wonder what Walker and Beasley cost KSU's boosters?? ;) I still think this kind of stuff happens all over the place, sadly.

ClevelandBronco
05-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I hope that we don't see any of you who were expressing outrage over Spygate posting that this is "no big deal because everyone cheats."

kcxiv
05-11-2008, 04:06 PM
I hope that we don't see any of you who were expressing outrage over Spygate posting that this is "no big deal because everyone cheats."

imo, thats totally different, guys in the NFL are already pretty darn rich. This is a 18 year old por kid taking money because he's never seen it.

doomy3
05-11-2008, 04:07 PM
This happens at every university, USC is just singled out.

/Mecca

ClevelandBronco
05-11-2008, 04:11 PM
imo, thats totally different, guys in the NFL are already pretty darn rich. This is a 18 year old por kid taking money because he's never seen it.

I don't blame the kid. I blame the sports program that knows that he's driving a $50k vehicle that he can't afford.

smittysbar
05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I don't blame the kid. I blame the sports program that knows that he's driving a $50k vehicle that he can't afford.

QFT :thumb:

Braincase
05-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Somewhere in Lawrence, Roderick Stewart is taking a break from studying for finals to laugh his ass off.

beach tribe
05-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Yea, there's no way these kids can say no to that. I'm sure I wouldn't have, but USC, and the vampires should get what's coming to them.

Adept Havelock
05-11-2008, 05:24 PM

On any other team, these givers of illegal gifts would be backups. [/Mecca]

GoHuge
05-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm sorry to say that with all this top 10 talent USC has Bush and Mayo are probably just scraping the surface. Bush and his family where alot smarter about. Mayo has a paper trail that is years long. At least his Mom was smart enough to know that guy was a POS.

chief52
05-11-2008, 07:46 PM
While this may sometimes be true, I do not believe Mayo had a $50k car...so USC would not have had to deal with that.

ROYC75
05-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Is anybody surprised by this ?

Especially after the Reggie Bush fiasco ?

:shake:

Buehler445
05-11-2008, 09:26 PM
I saw a little bit of this story today on ESPN. It appeared ESPN actually did an in-depth report. First time in a long time that I can remember. Anyway, a couple of things stood out at me.

First, this guy's covering it up was terrible. Someone must not be looking too hard if they couldn't find this guy. Holy cow.

Second, the part that I saw didn't seem like he took much money. Reggie Bush took an assload of money, IIRC.

I find myself thinking pretty heavily about this. I really don't think I could blame the kid. Granted I'm not in their shoes, but I just got out of college. If someone offers me a few bucks to keep my head above water, my ass is taking it. But again I'm not in their shoes. If I were surviving, and it jeopardized my future (especially if I were to make lottery pick money), I could turn shit down.

The kid should have turned the money down. But I can't really blame him for taking it. I think the blame lies with the university. They have the most to lose IMO. The kid will get drafted, he may not get drafted as high, but he will get drafted. He will probably have to pay some money, but he's gonna have a good bit so WTF. The school though, maybe hurting because of this deal. If I'm an AD at any university right now, I'm going to have a come to Jesus meeting with all of my coaches, players, and staff about what's legal, what's not and what we can do to prevent this shit.

I guess bottom line is the kid should have turned down the cash, and the school should have done more to try to prevent it. Pipe dreams I know, but that's the way it should be.

alanm
05-11-2008, 09:53 PM
This happens at every university, USC is just singled out.

/Mecca
Is the fall of Troy beginning?

kcxiv
05-11-2008, 10:18 PM
I saw a little bit of this story today on ESPN. It appeared ESPN actually did an in-depth report. First time in a long time that I can remember. Anyway, a couple of things stood out at me.

First, this guy's covering it up was terrible. Someone must not be looking too hard if they couldn't find this guy. Holy cow.

Second, the part that I saw didn't seem like he took much money. Reggie Bush took an assload of money, IIRC.

I find myself thinking pretty heavily about this. I really don't think I could blame the kid. Granted I'm not in their shoes, but I just got out of college. If someone offers me a few bucks to keep my head above water, my ass is taking it. But again I'm not in their shoes. If I were surviving, and it jeopardized my future (especially if I were to make lottery pick money), I could turn shit down.

The kid should have turned the money down. But I can't really blame him for taking it. I think the blame lies with the university. They have the most to lose IMO. The kid will get drafted, he may not get drafted as high, but he will get drafted. He will probably have to pay some money, but he's gonna have a good bit so WTF. The school though, maybe hurting because of this deal. If I'm an AD at any university right now, I'm going to have a come to Jesus meeting with all of my coaches, players, and staff about what's legal, what's not and what we can do to prevent this shit.

I guess bottom line is the kid should have turned down the cash, and the school should have done more to try to prevent it. Pipe dreams I know, but that's the way it should be.
It wont hurt his stock 1 bit. I dont think NBA teams give a shit if he's that good a talent. Its not going to hurt them in their NBA career.